Community Q&A Blog Discussion: June 15th, 2012

CourtneyWoods

We need a character on both sides of the conflict to get HK-51? I really, really hope they're adding extra character slots sometime soon. I've got all 8 slots filled, and I'd rather not have to delete a character just to access new content. Any chance you'll at least allow something like, oh, 4 50s to bypass that requirement?

Also, why would the Devs worry about players stacking a single stat when Diminishing Returns already limits the effectiveness of that tactic?

I'm not to keen on needing two characters from opposite factions to get HK-51. I play alternate factions on different servers. It already feels like I'm being punished legacywise for splitting my characters, but I felt it was worth it in order to gain the use of more character slots. Forcing me to create a character and play them up (twice actually, once for each faction) just to gain the new companion seems more annoying then anything else.

Regarding the Smart Healing response, Saying that "smarter placement" is required to maximize efficiency on Revivification and Kolto Missile is a mistake at best. Revivification hits 8 people which is more than sufficient in an 8-man operational setting, but Kolto Missile only hits 4 targets, as does Recuperative Nanotech. Neither of those abilities place a priority on lowest health, they just randomly pick 4 people and that's it. There does need to be a smart function component to these 2 heals in order to make them more effective in operations.

Really poor design in my opinion for the new companion.

And again Bioware will refuse to acknowledge they made a game design mistake screaming ''working as intended'' crap.

I expect the forums to be in uproar over this from now until the time when it goes live. And would bet real money Bioware will NOT change their mistake.

we learned that the level cap increase will happen later this year, well we sort of knew or guessed that one already.

we also learned that bw is looking for maybe doing some adjustment to end game to refect the level increase. adjustment would be made on content level and difficulty or on level item .

last but not least, we learn that bioware need empirical data to make those adjustment, that would sound like a beta, close or open, of the new level.

can't wait for more information on that subject, and nightmare denova as well

I'm not to keen on needing two characters from opposite factions to get HK-51.

Please embrace the concept of a "time sink". A basis foundation of ANY MMO out there. :) It's a very good design on their part (what I mean is that it's good for their BUSINESS). People WILL want it. And people WILL play alts.

I'm pretty sure than no amount of QQ is going to change that design choice.

Edited by Rogoo

What is the plan to improve the pvp awards so that those of us who pvp can actually afford all the pvp gear and crafted things without doing pve content?

Background: The cost to get orange gear, mod your armor, and some other things that are almost certainly pvp orientated cost more money then I can generate by pvping alone. For instance it costs 44k to pull out a war hero mod. It costs me 147k for an augmented slot armor piece that was in the battlemaster set, which is fairly standard. The cost to buy stims and med packs is not cheap. Nor is leveling biochem if you want to offset those costs as opposed to buying from another player. The fact of my recent experience is that pure pvp players like myself who prefer to engage in pve sparringly are being forced to pve just to support our passion and/or take up crafting. I didn't enjoy the crafting system enough to want to engage in that. I found it cost me a ton to build up purple skills for things that had no value compared to what I invested in crafting. I made more from selling mats.

I am literally in no position to even consider legacy investments without pveing to make enough credits to buy them. No offense but having to do daily pve just to mod my pvp armor is driving me crazy. I don't think I waste credits. I mean I cannot even have 2 sets of armor for appearances. I would like to spend more but cannot without taking a bunch of efforts to gain money.

Thank you.

Edited by PlagaNerezza
grammer

Once again ignored my question on when they will increase the GTN listing time... Only asked every single time...

The HK 51 requirements suck big time, im republic not imperial... I will never roll an imp, the very fact that this game has two sides is a giant draw ... everyone picks a side. Forcing me to roll an imp just so im not behind everyone else in the game sucks...

If people want to roll both sides becuase thats what they want to do, thats completely there choice but dont force us to do it...

Once again ignored my question on when they will increase the GTN listing time... Only asked every single time...

The HK 51 requirements suck big time, im republic not imperial... I will never roll an imp, the very fact that this game has two sides is a giant draw ... everyone picks a side. Forcing me to roll an imp just so im not behind everyone else in the game sucks...

If people want to roll both sides becuase thats what they want to do, thats completely there choice but dont force us to do it...

Playing both sides is fun. I got 50's on each.

Cycao: Can I please get a response on this issue I have for Ranked Warzones and how you will deal with a disconnect? People disconnect from Warzones; it happens and sometimes it’s the game, others it’s a client issue, but it happens. To go down one man in a ranked warzone will be detrimental to the team.

Rob: We are aware that a Warzone team suddenly losing a player is a great disadvantage to that team, and we are investigating ways we can better mitigate that loss to the team. One of the things that we currently have implemented is that the team that loses a team member will have that factor taken into consideration when the system makes adjustments to ELO ratings at the end of the match.

Being ganked repeatedly for a few minutes by another team won't ever be compensated by any amounts of points.

Simply put, if a team loose a player then the opposite team should have the overflow put in a waiting room with a FIFO queue. It won't be either much fun for players waiting but it's an acceptable trade off especially because as soon as a team member dies he's replaced by one waiting.

Now if you want to make it less annoying you can add some activities in the waiting room, like vendors, mail box and so on.

Edited by Deewe

Like i say it should be a choice not a requirement. I play for the republic, my characters are lightside. Isnt that the whole point in having two sides...

No, having two sides is to add more variety to the game as it encourages people to try both sides and access different questing areas/story lines. And what does being Republic have to do with being light side?

One of the things that we currently have implemented is that the team that loses a team member will have that factor taken into consideration when the system makes adjustments to ELO ratings at the end of the match.

It's Elo not ELO!

Unless you are actually doing an Electric Light Orchestra rating system, which would be cool though it might cause some "confusion" :rod_wink_g:

Is there a reason we had to answer this question again:

Skondy: Can one of the Developers give a detailed breakdown on how threat is generated? I have heard that it is generated more by how many times a player can land blows on the boss than by how much damage is dealt. So that a tank can hold aggro better by using his basic attack (rapid shots, saber strike, etc) in combination with his high threat moves, rather than trying to do as much damage as possible to a boss.

Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer): Threat is equal to damage inflicted at a "one damage equals one threat" ratio. Passive threat modifiers then adjust that amount by a percentage, while active threat dumps adjust current threat levels by a percentage. I wouldn't suggest using your basic attack to try and generate high threat.

When we already had it answered in the April 20th Q&A:

BlackMink: Could you please explain SWTOR's threat mechanics? What exactly do the de-taunt abilities do, and how exactly is threat generated? Is threat directly related point for point to the damage you do, or does each individual ability generate a pre-set amount of threat?

Cameron Winston (Combat Designer): Threat is calculated based on damage done, plus or minus certain modifiers, with one damage translating directly into one point of threat. These modifiers are always called out in the abilities which adjust them. For example, Soresu Form increases your threat generation globally, while Crushing Blow or Hilt Strike specifically generates extra bonus threat when activated.

De-taunt abilities reduce your threat level by a flat percentage of its current value. Healing generates less threat than damage and is split evenly among all enemies you are currently fighting.

There were SO many other questions that haven't been answered yet that could have been instead! :(

Like i say it should be a choice not a requirement. I play for the republic, my characters are lightside. Isnt that the whole point in having two sides...

It is a choice. You can choose not to get the companion. You can also choose to play a light side imp. Or 4, as in my case. You're not being "forced" to do anything but complete the storyline, and if there's an aspect of the story that requires cross-faction cooperation, then it certainly wouldnt be the first time that happened in the star wars universe.

Being ganked repeatedly for a few minutes by another team won't ever be compensated by any amounts of points.

Simply put, if a team loose a player then the opposite team should have the overflow put in a waiting room with a FIFO queue. It won't be either much fun for players waiting but it's an acceptable trade off especially because as soon as a team member dies he's replaced by one waiting.

Now if you want to make it less annoying you can add some activities in the waiting room, like vendors, mail box and so on.

They could just increase the damage and mitigation of the team that is short handed. The BOLSTER buff could dynamicly adjust depending on how many people are on each team...

Hello, I'm new to the Forums, so I'm not sure if this question had been asked, or answered yet, but I was wondering if the current GTN could be slightly altered to allow you to also search by name alone?

I think that this would greatly help some new players like me to be able to identify what some of the posted items for trade are ( I have had multiple instances where the posted item in chat doesn't pop up for my viewing, and obviously, I think we ALL know that this would only work if the item was actually IN the GTN, however, I truly think that this would be more helpful that some might think), as well as allow new and experienced players alike to more quickly and easily purchase the items that they already know that they want, instead of having to browse through everything in that subcategory.

Thank you for your consideration! = ^_^ =

Edited by Shinaine

we learned that the level cap increase will happen later this year, well we sort of knew or guessed that one already.

we also learned that bw is looking for maybe doing some adjustment to end game to refect the level increase. adjustment would be made on content level and difficulty or on level item .

last but not least, we learn that bioware need empirical data to make those adjustment, that would sound like a beta, close or open, of the new level.

can't wait for more information on that subject, and nightmare denova as well

Nightmare Denova?

Maybe that's the "raid" with 1.4? :D

There is no reason to implement NM EC after adding a whole new operation - only if the new OP hasn't got a NM - and that would be a shame.

They could just increase the damage and mitigation of the team that is short handed. The BOLSTER buff could dynamicly adjust depending on how many people are on each team...

On paper it would work but not in game as it would be very difficult to know how much to incease the DPS/healing output.

Then it would need all teams to adapt to a new game play during that time as 1 opponent could mean much more than what a "standard" character HP, DPS, healing should have.

Also you'd have to inform all players that the ratio changed and to how much ==> a bit mess!

Edited by Deewe

Is there a plan to change in-game USERNAMES and LEGACY NAMES in the near future? Since the transfers there has been alot of upset players over the conflict that forced many of us to change because of your one name per server policy which has caused a major rift with many players to unsub because many felt bioware handled this poorly.

Just wanted to point out that the less ELO loss for the team with a dropped member is a terrible idea. Its way to easy too exploit. "oh man we're gonna lose, quick 7 of you unplug your router so we don't lose rating"

If you want to provide a measure to mitigate these situations, you need to do it right. Take a snapshot of group members upon queueing and/or entering the BG. Only those members can be in the BG. If one disconnects, then the warzone lets him rejoin after say 90 seconds. The 90 second delay is needed so that people don't try to exploit the system to quickly run back to base or full heal and re-join right away type thing. Its also a short enough to delay to not necesarily be a game ender, and provides for a better option than not being able to rejoin for the next 10 min when the game has ended

Perhaps we're looking at this from the wrong direction? How many times are people legitimately "losing connection"? Maybe it's actually behavior rather than faulty equipment. Thus, stiffer penalties need to be incurred to curb that behavior.

Just offering a different tack, here, don't flame me. :p