Crew skills for Assassin

Talon_Starfire

Hi,

I looked at Goshee's guide to crew skills but it is 1.2 so what are the best crew skills for an Assassin to have?

Is Biochem still the ultimate or is Artifice just as good?

Thanks

Personal opinion here, but if you plan on tanking, you should be Biochem. ALL tanks should be Biochem.

Why, you ask? Rakata Fortitude Stim. Rakata <mainstat> Stim. Rakata Absorb Adrenal (worth about 10% DR on Assassin), Rakata Attack Adrenal (less useful for Sin due to self-healing nerf whilst it is active, still great for burst damage). Zero cost to permanently incorporate another 46 points into your mitigation pool, and significantly lower cost to create Exotech Fortitude stims as opposed to buying on the open market.

Side bonus of being able to craft implants (useful for leveling alts, plus RE'ing 26+ implants).

If you're going to be DPS primarily, then it matters far less.

For a main character Assassin, I'd say general order of utility:

Biochem/Cybertech

<gap>

Artifice

<gap>

Armstech/Synthweaving/Armormech

Honestly, for any "main", Biochem or Cybertech are the best crew skills because they provide reusable consumables.

Cybertech also is very useful due to ability to craft grenades (amazing for PVP right now due to broken resolve, though balanced by long CD), armorings, mods, and earpieces. 26+ armorings/mods/earpieces can be RE'd into molecular stabilizers (the most broadly valuable item in the game right now), in addition to the chance of learning the schematics (which can be a valuable source of income to then craft).

Artifice is a good thing to have on at least one character, and is somewhat more useful to have on a main due to the lack of legacy-bound orange saber hilts. Same basic deal as Cybertech for 26+ enhancements instead of mods/armorings, plus also hilts.

Armstech is less useful since Sin doesn't use barrels, and since legacy-bound bowcasters exist to transfer barrels to alts (though many people didn't have the foresight to nab any).

Synthweaving and Armormech are not useful for anything except augs and aug kits right now (though they can RE shells containing 26+ armorings for stabs, which is better than nothing but less efficient than Cybertech), and should be relegated to craft alts who are not actively used for PVP or PVE if at all possible.

Edited by Omophorus

Omophorus gives good advice. My assassin went Biochem out of chance and I love it. My Merc is Cyber, and I love that too (he can keep my alts supplied. I figure with all my other alts I'll eventually have them all, but so far so good.

All my non-healers (including my assassin) are biochem. Biochem is hard to beat.

My two healers are cybertech and artifice, and so I can craft all mods for alts and companions. My third healer will probably be ... biochem.

Edited by NurseDonut

Diplo gets the medical supplies that Biochem needs for some things and there is no other way IRRC to get those materials by world gathering. Plus you get easy and fast alignment gain thru the missions so u can use relics as you level up.

Slicing is good otherwise if you can buy the materials via the GTN.

• 2 weeks later...
I have Synthweaving on my Assassin. I would really hate to have to redo that crafting one and go all the way back to DK just to start leveling up my Biochem. Any suggestions?

Go on the GTN and buy abunch of base materials. If I remember correctly, its alittle fickle with your collecting crew skill to get one of the important mats. I know where you are coming from, On my alt I was on tatooine and I had to switch to biochem. But, following my own advice I got really caught up. Although, sometimes in general/trade just shout out what you need and it will fly into your face.

Personal opinion here, but if you plan on tanking, you should be Biochem. ALL tanks should be Biochem.

Why, you ask? Rakata Fortitude Stim. Rakata <mainstat> Stim. Rakata Absorb Adrenal (worth about 10% DR on Assassin), Rakata Attack Adrenal (less useful for Sin due to self-healing nerf whilst it is active, still great for burst damage). Zero cost to permanently incorporate another 46 points into your mitigation pool, and significantly lower cost to create Exotech Fortitude stims as opposed to buying on the open market.

Side bonus of being able to craft implants (useful for leveling alts, plus RE'ing 26+ implants).

If you're going to be DPS primarily, then it matters far less.

For a main character Assassin, I'd say general order of utility:

Biochem/Cybertech

<gap>

Artifice

<gap>

Armstech/Synthweaving/Armormech

Honestly, for any "main", Biochem or Cybertech are the best crew skills because they provide reusable consumables.

Cybertech also is very useful due to ability to craft grenades (amazing for PVP right now due to broken resolve, though balanced by long CD), armorings, mods, and earpieces. 26+ armorings/mods/earpieces can be RE'd into molecular stabilizers (the most broadly valuable item in the game right now), in addition to the chance of learning the schematics (which can be a valuable source of income to then craft).

Artifice is a good thing to have on at least one character, and is somewhat more useful to have on a main due to the lack of legacy-bound orange saber hilts. Same basic deal as Cybertech for 26+ enhancements instead of mods/armorings, plus also hilts.

Armstech is less useful since Sin doesn't use barrels, and since legacy-bound bowcasters exist to transfer barrels to alts (though many people didn't have the foresight to nab any).

Synthweaving and Armormech are not useful for anything except augs and aug kits right now (though they can RE shells containing 26+ armorings for stabs, which is better than nothing but less efficient than Cybertech), and should be relegated to craft alts who are not actively used for PVP or PVE if at all possible.

What are the Pros & Cons of Artifice please?

What are the Pros & Cons of Artifice please?

Pros:

-Can craft and reverse engineer lightsaber hilts. Anything grade 26 or 27 (aka Campaign, Dread Guard, War Hero, Elite War Hero) can be reverse engineered into molecular stabilizers, and if you learn the schematics, they can be very profitable to craft and sell on the GTN (PVE hilts primarily). There are no legacy-bound slotted lightsabers, so you have to have Artifice on a raiding character if you want to RE PVE hilts.

-Can craft and reverse engineer Enhancements. Same deal for 26/27 items as above (though a bit less profitable), though less critical to have on a main due to ready ability to Legacy-transfer Enhancements.

-Can craft and reverse engineer earpieces. Same as above for 26/27, can't Legacy-transfer.

-Can craft color crystals for weapons. Some profit here, but mainly cosmetic. Purples of all levels are nifty to make, though.

-Can craft shields, foci, and generators. Less important, but the purples are good for lowbies, and can offer some stats earlier than similar slotted items with of-level mods.

-Can craft and RE relics. Some money here, stabs for 26/27 grades, and Rakata defense on-use for tanks (which is the best defense relic due to 30s duration, but still inferior to a shield/absorb on-use).

Cons:

-No consumables. You're buying all your stims and adrenals (at huge markups) on the GTN. You're buying PvP grenades on the GTN at huge markups (though not as bad as stims/adrenals).

-Harder to make big profits (consumables are the easiest/most approachable means of making crafting income). Have to actively raid to have a chance of obtaining highly profitable schematics.

The only true advantages to having Artifice on a main instead of a crafting alt are hilts and earpieces. The market for relics is limited, and everything else can be transferred between characters with Legacy bound items.

Is Cybertech, Scavenging, Underworld Trading just as good as Biochem, Bioanalysis, Diplomacy?

Edit: Also if I took Consumables over Artifice, Archeology, Treasure Hunting would I be able to buy Lightsaber upgrades on the GTN?

Thanks

Edited by Talon_Starfire
Typo