Cathar as a Playable Species

iamthehoyden

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, can't we get some actual aliens? Instead of just green/blue/furry/blind humans?

How about Ithorian? Kel-Dor? Mon Calamari? Nautolan? Rodian? Given that race is purely cosmetic in this game, it seems like a broader selection should be a no-brainer, especially when they all ready have models in the game.

I'd gladly throw money at the Cartel Market to roll out with an Ithorian Consular, or Rodian Smuggler.

Man, can't we get some actual aliens? Instead of just green/blue/furry/blind humans?

How about Ithorian? Kel-Dor? Mon Calamari? Nautolan? Rodian? Given that race is purely cosmetic in this game, it seems like a broader selection should be a no-brainer, especially when they all ready have models in the game.

I'd gladly throw money at the Cartel Market to roll out with an Ithorian Consular, or Rodian Smuggler.

Not going to happen, both races don't speak Basic.

It's been stated time and over that onyl Basic-speaking races will be available for players.

Not going to happen, both races don't speak Basic.

It's been stated time and over that onyl Basic-speaking races will be available for players.

There's no reason why a lettered Rodian can't exist...or a Mon Calamari that had a multilingual dad...or an Ithorian who grew up in an orphanage where basic was spoken by the care-takers....language isn't the reason we can't have actual aliens.. The reason is that they estimate that the profit they will get from doing so will be minimal compared to the cost of developing drastically different models, refining some animations, etc. Also, there is the widespread thinking that players want to be able to identify with their characters and therefore most hardcorish-mmoers who don't care a lot about the lore itself (and hardcorish mmoers are the money-cow in this business) , won't be able to identify with anything drastically non-human.

There's no reason why a lettered Rodian can't exist...or a Mon Calamari that had a multilingual dad...or an Ithorian who grew up in an orphanage where basic was spoken by the care-takers....language isn't the reason we can't have actual aliens.. The reason is that they estimate that the profit they will get from doing so will be minimal compared to the cost of developing drastically different models, refining some animations, etc. Also, there is the widespread thinking that players want to be able to identify with their characters and therefore most hardcorish-mmoers who don't care a lot about the lore itself (and hardcorish mmoers are the money-cow in this business) , won't be able to identify with anything drastically non-human.

Wrong.

Some species just CAN'T speak Basic because of their physiology.

Profit is another factor, not many people would like to play something non-human, no matter how many times lore-lovers post here.

I'm waiting to make a second Vanguard so I can see Jorgan's reaction to my Cathar f!trooper walking in the room.

Let's hope that there will be some dialogue in the romance-arc that reflects that the f!trooper is a Cathar. I would love to see that in game. Will be a little sad if it isn't mentioned at all.

*keeping all fingers crossed*

You know, I can understand why people might want another alien race to play as, rather than Cathar. At the same time, to those folks, try to understand that Cathar are the ones that have been promised as the first one. I'm sure if they're received well, it'll serve as extra incentive for the devs to provide more races further down the line.

That said, I don't suppose anyone knows the all-important question of WHEN? I mean, the new race was announced... what, last summer? And now we've got news of patch 2.0 going to the test servers, with no mention of a new race being added.

I'm getting just a teeeeeny tiny little bit impatient here.

• 1 month later...

I dont know if this concern has been adressed but I sure hope as a subsciber since launch and playing since beta that they dont make the cathar unlockable via cartel market only .

I am as guilty as anyone for supporting the cartel market ive spent hundreds of UK £'s on it already but i just hope they dont make subs pay .there are many things on cartle market which should have been included in a content update instrad for free ..

I can say with a fearfull heart that because the cartel market has become a good source of income for what was a struggling game we may see stuff sold rather than given if that is the case make the F2P model the same as TSW or GW2 and have no subs and buy everything not both .i realy am getting disheartened please give me back my faith in this game ..

Considering they're going to be a cartel market item last I heard (though admittedly I can't find *official* confirmation of this anywhere, so take it for what it's worth), I doubt any class is going to "get" them. Rather, they'll most likely work as any other market-bought race unlock, becoming available to all classes right from the start.

Considering they're going to be a cartel market item last I heard (though admittedly I can't find *official* confirmation of this anywhere, so take it for what it's worth), I doubt any class is going to "get" them. Rather, they'll most likely work as any other market-bought race unlock, becoming available to all classes right from the start.

I remember reading this too, a long, long time ago. No idea if it was offical or a drive to make sure it did not go this way. Would be nice if it was a expansion reward but they would lose out on all those people who would pay extra for it.

Just want to ask who is going to clean up fleet? I can see the hairballs already starting to pile up in the corners.

Just want to ask who is going to clean up fleet? I can see the hairballs already starting to pile up in the corners.

Put shock collars on Skadge and Kaliyo, and a restraining bolt on Scorpio, hand them a mop, and you're all set.

Republic stations presumably already come with a de-hairballing system.

? How many people plan on making a Juhani-type character when Cathar comes out (Female, Cathar, Jedi Guardian who, on Makeb, will do the F/F mini-romance)?

if they stick to their plans of letting us change our race through the market, i will be making a juhani. my knight was already going to be romancing the woman, but this would make it perfect!

btw, are the cathar coming out the day the xpac thingy comes out??

if they stick to their plans of letting us change our race through the market, i will be making a juhani. my knight was already going to be romancing the woman, but this would make it perfect!

I believe so, and I will make a juhani, and even have a story about her coming up when that happens, which might involve my trooper.

I am mainly wondering how much the Cathar will cost.

Hopefully around the same price as the other race unlocks.

800 Cartel coinz + 1200 Coinz for he Barbershop... PER character (4000 Cartel coinz if you want it Legacy wide, cheap price if you ask me, you will never find a price that low anywhere else! ).

MWAHAHAHAHA !!!!

Edited by yoomazir

[Quote: Originally Posted by ganondorq

I believe so, and I will make a juhani, and even have a story about her coming up when that happens, which might involve my trooper.

No, Cathar are not tied to 2.0 or to the RotHC expansion, they will arrive in the Cartel Market "when they are ready".

[Quote: Originally Posted by ganondorq

No, Cathar are not tied to 2.0 or to the RotHC expansion, they will arrive in the Cartel Market "when they are ready".

they could throw in a cartel market update with the expansion. who knows.

and to be honest, I may make a Miraluka knight instead, just because.

That, and you are not a member of Imperial intelligence, so you have know clue when they are coming because they announced the race and shut up about it. the idea of 'they are not talking about it because the race is not ready for it to come out' is bull, because they do not talk about so no one knows if the race is ready or not.

in other words, GIVE ME PROOF THAT THEY SAID THE RACE IS NOT READY AND I WILL DROP IT!

Edited by stormdrakelord