Why all the ugly PvE armor?

Ayelinna

then you are aware how much everyone hated it, all links are from early 2012 just after launch and all full of complaints about how gear looks the only difference is now you guys act all righteous and blame some conspiracy theory involving the cartel market, like its gear isn't 90% hideous too [how are those "wings" and the helmet on your awesome cybernetic gear :rolleyes: is that star wars enough for you] your guys constant complaining is getting old

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=77752

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=271688

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=313499

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=401474

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=285151

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1377655

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/333480/page/1

I loved my Trooper and Marauder Gear back then. I still wear some of it because its some of the best looking gear in the game. The first sets of gear fit star wars, some were uglier than others but once you mod a few pieces around it was fine. These new sets however are a joke.

What is this supposed to be? Ironman?

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/swtor-dread-forged-armor-warrior.jpg

Edited by Heaviermetal

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings, Ayelinna

Thank you for sharing your valuable thoughts about the new armor models. All player feedback is always incredibly valuable to us. While we fully understand your lacking satisfaction in this regard, please bear in mind armor you can acquire by playing the game you are paying for should essentially be treated as " place holder." This is gear you are supposed to wear while browsing Cartel Market© for your actual wardrobe.

I am very happy in being able to inform you that we at Electronic Arts are going to be able to deliver vast amount of brand new very good looking armor that deeply enriches players’ gameplay and essentially fuels their appetite to play more. Much of this armor is readily available to you already in SWTOR's exclusive Cartel Market store. If you think we will ever again just GIVE decent looking armor away when so many of you are actually perfectly wiling to,in adition to subscription fees, actually pay money for it, you are mistaken. We at Electronic Arts have come to realize subscriber having to pay 10 dollah for their armor is essential part in enjoyment of gear.

Kindlly bend over more fully so I can Monetize you better.

your pal,

EA©

Edited by Stradlin

I loved my Trooper and Marauder Gear back then. I still wear some of it because its some of the best looking gear in the game. The first sets of gear fit star wars, some were uglier than others but once you mod a few pieces around it was fine. These new sets however are a joke.

What is this supposed to be? Ironman?

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/swtor-dread-forged-armor-warrior.jpg

that's great I love my hydra gear and have worn it since launch...

the point is the spamming of these "the [insert gametype here] gear is so ugly" threads are annoying and just opinion. every time new sets are released there are people who hate it and feel bioware's hand slapping their face then there are people indifferent and there are those who like it, we don't need multiple threads all saying the same crap every time they release armor, constructive criticism is fine if its not being spammed but like my first post in this thread points out I do not imagine this behavior.

news at 10 a portion of the swtor fan base thinks the newest gear is ugly... shocking

then people go on about how all the good gear is in the cartel market ignoring the fact that most of the cartel market gear is re-skins and ugly crap except a handful of pieces not even full sets out of 100s and mostly lore sets that the current devs are modeling off something they did not create and still seem to make them look worse then the originals from 10 years ago. plus do you really want a shirtless trench coat or invisible gloves as your tier set?

and also the self righteous I'm so much better then the devs approach of either "the gear used to be so awesome and NOW biowares just trying to screw us" or the "OMG this looks nothing like Obi-Wan's robes in a new hope do the devs know anything about star wars" arguments to complain instead of having honest conversations about the actual designs annoys me

Edited by Vis-Tecum

that's great I love my hydra gear and have worn it since launch...

the point is the spamming of these "the [insert gametype here] gear is so ugly" threads are annoying and just opinion. every time new sets are released there are people who hate it and feel bioware's hand slapping their face then there are people indifferent and there are those who like it, we don't need multiple threads all saying the same crap every time they release armor, constructive criticism is fine if its not being spammed but like my first post in this thread points out I do not imagine this behavior.

news at 10 a portion of the swtor fan base thinks the newest gear is ugly... shocking

then people go on about how all the good gear is in the cartel market ignoring the fact that most of the cartel market gear is re-skins and ugly crap except a handful of pieces not even full sets out of 100s and mostly lore sets that the current devs are modeling off something they did not create and still seem to make them look worse then the originals form 10 years ago.

and also the self righteous I'm so much better then the devs approach of either "the gear used to be so awesome and NOW biowares just trying to screw us" or the "OMG this looks nothing like Obi-Wan's robes in a new hope do the devs know anything about star wars" arguments to complain instead of having honest conversations about the actual designs annoys me

Sure sure, but these people paying money can complain all they want about the product, just stop reading about it if you don't like it. Besides look at this, http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/swtor-series-505-cybernetic-armor-freelancer-contractors-bounty-pack_thumb.jpg. They put time into this, I would have loved to earn this gear in game from doing something, but no. So this is a small example of why people complain so much and they have every right too.

Also! Whatever happened to this stuff? http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hl=en&biw=1680&bih=880&tbm=isch&tbnid=D0w5K4-EtsEOIM:&imgrefurl=http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1240916-RotHC-Gear-Sets-%28Imp%29&docid=5B3UsyiwMqsrtM&imgurl=http://cdn.zoknowsgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/rise-of-hutt-cartel-2.jpg&w=1024&h=626&ei=ftQkUo6jDqijsQTyk4GoCw&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:35,s:0,i:191&iact=rc&page=2&tbnh=163&tbnw=260&start=26&ndsp=31&tx=147&ty=81 It looked fantastic.

Edited by Heaviermetal

Sure sure, but these people paying money can complain all they want about the product, just stop reading about it if you don't like it. Besides look at this, http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/swtor-series-505-cybernetic-armor-freelancer-contractors-bounty-pack_thumb.jpg. They put time into this, I would have loved to earn this gear in game from doing something, but no. So this is a small example of why people complain so much and they have every right too.

Also! Whatever happened to this stuff? http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hl=en&biw=1680&bih=880&tbm=isch&tbnid=D0w5K4-EtsEOIM:&imgrefurl=http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1240916-RotHC-Gear-Sets-%28Imp%29&docid=5B3UsyiwMqsrtM&imgurl=http://cdn.zoknowsgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/rise-of-hutt-cartel-2.jpg&w=1024&h=626&ei=ftQkUo6jDqijsQTyk4GoCw&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:35,s:0,i:191&iact=rc&page=2&tbnh=163&tbnw=260&start=26&ndsp=31&tx=147&ty=81 It looked fantastic.

again your one example from the pack is unique and not the standard of the quality of the cartel market. Im pretty sure they put time and effort into most of the gear in the game and at least one person on the team thinks its cool cartel or otherwise, it could possibly have worked for a rep vendor but tiered gear is not adaptable. but the cybernetic gear was going to be cartel market, its where it fits best. the cartel market is actually where they can go a little over board with designs like miniskirts and droid pieces because its not rewards for doing content, its just fluff. same with shirtless sets and invisible pieces and lore sets just like the rep vendors gear resembles npcs or that rep faction. all the rotworm / frogdog / imperial / republic team gear though I agree should be from some sorta pvp rep vendor and not the cartel packs.

either way 1 thread a week is plenty for discussing bad gear models there is no need to create multiple threads just to come in and say for the hundredth time, "ea just does it to screw us because their evil and kick puppies"

and I don't buy the whole "we pay money we have a right to act like brats on the internet"

Edited by Vis-Tecum

WHY BW WHY???

Shall you NEVER learn?

As a female jedi sentinel I want to lokk like a jedi!

Yes that's right like a J-E-D-I!

As you seem to have forgot how a jedi looks like let me show you:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/33796/1101609-jedi_masters1.jpg

Sorry for being so angry BW but this is even worse than the "potato sack robe"

http://www.trippintheforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Jedi-Knight-Gear-Tier-2-625x354.jpg

Just to let you know BW i HATE to use my hard earned credits (oh yes they are guess how many siths I had to kill to get them?) to move mods!!!!

Plz BW remove this CRAP and give me a jedi robe!

PLZ :( :( :(

Greetings, Ayelinna

Thank you for sharing your valuable thoughts about the new armor models. All player feedback is always incredibly valuable to us. While we fully understand your lacking satisfaction in this regard, please bear in mind armor you can acquire by playing the game you are paying for should essentially be treated as " place holder." This is gear you are supposed to wear while browsing Cartel Market© for your actual wardrobe.

I am very happy in being able to inform you that we at Electronic Arts are going to be able to deliver vast amount of brand new very good looking armor that deeply enriches players’ gameplay and essentially fuels their appetite to play more. Much of this armor is readily available to you already in SWTOR's exclusive Cartel Market store. If you think we will ever again just GIVE decent looking armor away when so many of you are actually perfectly wiling to,in adition to subscription fees, actually pay money for it, you are mistaken. We at Electronic Arts have come to realize subscriber having to pay 10 dollah for their armor is essential part in enjoyment of gear.

your pal,

EA©

Tee hee, clever. I can't tell you how much and how often I felt like I was being bent over and monetized by this game lol.

Greetings, Ayelinna

your pal,

EA©

I'm laughing but secretly crying inside because I know that it's true

They have ugly ingame armor because they want you to buy cartel packs.

so then why do they have ugly armor in the cartel packs?

let me guess... when its in a cartel pack its just clueless bad designers but if its a ugly tier piece or rep item its a conspiracy to get people to buy cartel packs :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I totally agree.

For example: When i'm on my Jedi Guardian, i have the following companions:

* T7-01

* Kira Carsen

* Sergeant Rusk

* Lord Scourge

* Doc

* HK-51

* C2-N2

* Treek

Now 2 of those companions (Kira Carsen & Sgt. Rusk) have armor equiped

that i consider "ugly".

Kira Carsen has currently this set equipped called: Black Market Force-Lord's MK-1

As for Sergeant Rusk, he has this set equipped: Black Market Boltblaster's MK-1

Now as far as i can tell,

Kira Carsen is sorta like a "Jedi Shadow"

(since she uses a double-bladed lightsaber and uses "Willpower" as her primary stat)

and Sgt. Rusk is more like a Commando

(since he uses an Assault Cannon and uses "Aim" as his primary stat)

Right?

Well, anyways... the point is:

When i choose to have Kira fighting alongside me, i really wanna have the feeling i have a fellow Jedi by my side.

When i choose to have Rusk fighting alongside me, i really wanna have the feeling i have a trooper by my side.

Yes, i know there are also dyes available but even with a different color it looks ugly.

Yes, i know i can hide the headslot but let's take Kira for example: With her current equipped set, she looks bald if i hide her head item but if i don't hide it, she looks like a ninja. As for Sgt. Rusk's current equipped armor, it has no pattern and is just plain ugly.

Surely there are enough other people out there that can do a better job in designing some decent looking armor.

Which means... i think that those that create ugly armor sets just like those 2 i mentioned above should be shot.

What they should do is design armor, then place some pictures of it on the forum (or just on the site for that matter) and give us the chance to comment and/or vote on it before it's going ot be implemented in the game.

'coz we are the ones playing the game. We are the ones that have to put up with this.

As it is now, they design armor, then put it in-game wether we like it or not anyway

Oh, and just to make something clear... i'm not talking about armor that are known as "greenies"

Those will be replaced anyways. I'm talking about purples and orange. (Artifact & Custom / Adaptive)

Some of u "may" consider this as whining / crying while others "may" agree with me.

This is just my opinion. This is how i feel about it.

So? better "dragging up an old thread" then start a new one about the same subject.

'coz people have the tendency to complain about that too but i'm sure u know that.

This topic was hyperbolic when it began last year. It remains hyperbolic today. Better to start a fresh thread that is current and sans Ayelinna's previous muck-raking.

Edited by Andryah

Yeah well, the BioWare team has the tendency to not care. 'coz if they did, they would reply more often on topics.

It's like we have to listen to them instead of them listening to us.

It is essential for the developers to listen to the players of their game. Their customers.

'coz that's what we are. And i will continue posting (or should i say spam?) in this topic until i get a respons regarding this matter from a BioWare representive. Even tho i am aware that this may take a very long time.

So basically, i will not stop. Ever. Until i get a response from a BioWare representive.

Especially considering since i'm a paying customer. 'coz i can understand that when u play this game for free, u basically have no to limited rights to ask for things, i get that. But when u pay for it, i should be treated as valued customer.

So BioWare...what's it gonna be?!

1. Having me "spam" this topic

or

2. Give me an answer?

Yeah well, the BioWare team has the tendency to not care. 'coz if they did, they would reply more often on topics.

It's like we have to listen to them instead of them listening to us.

It is essential for the developers to listen to the players of their game. Their customers.

'coz that's what we are. And i will continue posting (or should i say spam?) in this topic until i get a respons regarding this matter from a BioWare representive. Even tho i am aware that this may take a very long time.

So basically, i will not stop. Ever. Until i get a response from a BioWare representive.

Especially considering since i'm a paying customer. 'coz i can understand that when u play this game for free, u basically have no to limited rights to ask for things, i get that. But when u pay for it, i should be treated as valued customer.

So BioWare...what's it gonna be?!

1. Having me "spam" this topic

or

2. Give me an answer?

Oh, and 1 more thing... i'll be a b.... about it if i have to

Edited by SlayerNL

You know...

Believe it or not but generally i am a nice guy

but when somebody pisses me off, I can be a b...h too

I've been playing this game since it was launched which is a long time by now

I have allways been a paying customer. I never went Free 2 Play

And BioWare is trying my patience. They are on the way to... "annoy" me (to put it mildly)

So that being said, i WILL get what i want. 1 way or the other.

Edited by SlayerNL

Actually... the person before me known as Alec_Fortescue

had a link to a topic containing various armor sets in his signature.

I checked them out and i really liked them.

Those really give me the feeling i have a jedi by my side.

Or even on another char of me, which actually is a Jedi.

A Jedi consular to be exact.

So i hereby wanna thank Alec, for showing some examples. I really appreciate it.

It's up BioWare now, to implement the armor (such as those provided via that link) into the game.

Edited by SlayerNL