Are the Sith more powerful than the Jedi?

celebrei

It seems to me that based on raw power the Sith are stronger, but if it is a matter of focus and understanding the Jedi are more powerful, time and again we have seen extremely powerful Sith in the likes of Exar Kun and Sidious whose hubris got the better of them and were defeated, but the Jedi, despite being seemingly weaker in raw power compared to the greatest of the Sith Lords were able to unite and defeat them, I have always viewed the Sith as a tidal wave, fast and aggressive but dissipates quickly while the Jedi I see as a flowing river, calm and serene but flows continuously, any thoughts?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sith gain power quicker than Jedi do, but once Jedi come into their own, it becomes clear that Sith fall to the wayside.

Poppycock. Yoda was far beyond into his own, Sidious bested him, sorry but yea. Malgus bested Satele (one is just NOT scared to face someone they beat before, just doesn't happen or make sense). Maul (an APPRENTICE) bested Jedi Master Qui Gon Jinn.

Now there are counter instances you can point to sure. You favor the Light Side/Jedi from what I gather. I favor the Dark Side/Sith. So being the fans that we are, we can rehash this debate.

What I think it is, why this is becoming the default SW logic is cuz at the very least, the Sith SEEM more powerful, especially in terms of raw power. Anger & passion are great conductors of this. The Dark Side is obviously more geared towards offense. Hence the plethora of DS techniques such as Force Lightning, Shock, Storm, etc. Force Choke, I can go on. The Light Side just isn't, that I've ever seen. All a LS Jedi can do to counter a Sith in a force contest is project, but surprise, Sith can do that too. In terms of lightsaber combat, anyone's guess. Force combat? Sorry, but I gotta give it to the Sith.

A Jedi Master is supposed to be a Sith Lord's equal, mirror. The Jedi Grand Master is supposed to be the Dark Lord's equal, no? Well take from the movies, books, etc. & judge away kids.

Poppycock. Yoda was far beyond into his own, Sidious bested him, sorry but yea. Malgus bested Satele (one is just NOT scared to face someone they beat before, just doesn't happen or make sense). Maul (an APPRENTICE) bested Jedi Master Qui Gon Jinn.

Now there are counter instances you can point to sure. You favor the Light Side/Jedi from what I gather. I favor the Dark Side/Sith. So being the fans that we are, we can rehash this debate.

What I think it is, why this is becoming the default SW logic is cuz at the very least, the Sith SEEM more powerful, especially in terms of raw power. Anger & passion are great conductors of this. The Dark Side is obviously more geared towards offense. Hence the plethora of DS techniques such as Force Lightning, Shock, Storm, etc. Force Choke, I can go on. The Light Side just isn't, that I've ever seen. All a LS Jedi can do to counter a Sith in a force contest is project, but surprise, Sith can do that too. In terms of lightsaber combat, anyone's guess. Force combat? Sorry, but I gotta give it to the Sith.

A Jedi Master is supposed to be a Sith Lord's equal, mirror. The Jedi Grand Master is supposed to be the Dark Lord's equal, no? Well take from the movies, books, etc. & judge away kids.

Nomi, Surik, Satele, the Jedi Knight, Fay, Yoda then Luke, and others I am sure all made the Dark Siders look pathetic and weak, why did they do this? because they followed the Light Side to it's fullest extent and did not waver and become Sith.

This is simply the way of the force.

The pattern repeats itself throughout the EU far more than people realise.

That and the fact Lucas has stated it himself.

Oh and don't presume to know I am a Light Side/Jedi fan, I have favoured neither, Exar Kun is one of my all time favourites next to my DS Kallig character.

I just don't let opinion into my argument.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

Neither side is inherently more powerful, it comes down to individual skill and mastery of the Force. A powerful Jedi will be defeated by a powerful Sith who will be defeated by a powerful Jedi, and the cycle continues (with the occasional Sith on Sith betrayal). It just often comes down in the end that a light-sider or Jedi will possess the greater power/mastery/clarity needed to defeat their opponent, and a dark-sider or Sith will often let the corrupting influence of the dark side warp their being/fill them with overconfidence/cloud their own judgement to the point that they are inevitably stuck down, leading to long-term apparent Jedi superiority.

I like to think that the dark-side is much more suited for instigation and change, whilst the light-side is suited for preservation and balance. The light builds, the darkness consumes. The darkness encroaches on the light, but in time the light will push back and drive the darkness away, but never does one completely dominate the other.

A Sith feeds on the darkness, but the darkness feeds on the Sith, eventually corrupting or damaging the user's body, mind, or spirit. A Jedi follows the light, and the light guides the Jedi, where one masters the Force whilst mastering the self.

Nomi, Surik, Satele, the Jedi Knight, Fay, Yoda then Luke, and others I am sure all made the Dark Siders look pathetic and weak, why did they do this? because they followed the Light Side to it's fullest extent and did not waver and become Sith.

This is simply the way of the force.

The pattern repeats itself throughout the EU far more than people realise.

That and the fact Lucas has stated it himself.

Oh and don't presume to know I am a Light Side/Jedi fan, I have favoured neither, Exar Kun is one of my all time favourites next to my DS Kallig character.

I just don't let opinion into my argument.

Sorry, but you kinda sound like a Jedi fanboy, or girl, just saying. Darth Tyrannus beat a Jedi Master (Kenobi) & a Jedi Knight (Anakin) at the same time, & even beat Kenobi again aboard The Invisible Hand.

Sidious slew FIVE of the Jedi Order's best Masters/council members in mere seconds, then proceeded to (ultimately) defeat Windu.

I can still go on. I couldn't care less that Lucas saved to societal pressure & said the 'good guys' are supposed to win. Every creator does that blah blah b;ah. Not really opinion here either. So Ima stand by what I said.

In answer to your question, allow me to quote... well.... me.

A Jedi Knight, a Sith Warrior, a Smuggler, and a Bounty Hunter were all marooned on a deserted planet together. In order to survive, they put aside their differences until one night around a fire, they started with the blustering. The Bounty Hunter said "I'm sick of you pansies! I've taken down Jedi Masters and Sith Lords! I don't care anymore!"

The Smuggler says "Oh yeah? So what? I've shot down Bounty Hunters with only one round!"

The Sith Lord chimes in with "You're both no match for the power of the Dark Side!" and proceeds to choke out both Smuggler and Bounty Hunter.

The Jedi looks up, shakes his head, and continues stirring the fire with his wang.

So the answer is No. :D

Edited by Captain_Zone

Yoda lived for 900 years and was truely join into the force. Sidious ALSO lived for more then a century maybe longer then yoda. Sidious didnt get to where he was over night Sidious in the end was more powerful then Yoda because Yoda even though being joined in the force wasnt as strong in the force as sidious was. Sidious would have been stronger then yoda in Lightside or Dark just as Darth Vader/anakin would have been stronger then yoda adventually if he stayed Lightside..

Overall Sith gain power faster through brutal control of the force using it as a weapon while jedi seek to become one with the force. My mains a SITH btw.

Neither side is inherently more powerful, it comes down to individual skill and mastery of the Force. A powerful Jedi will be defeated by a powerful Sith who will be defeated by a powerful Jedi, and the cycle continues (with the occasional Sith on Sith betrayal). It just often comes down in the end that a light-sider or Jedi will possess the greater power/mastery/clarity needed to defeat their opponent, and a dark-sider or Sith will often let the corrupting influence of the dark side warp their being/fill them with overconfidence/cloud their own judgement to the point that they are inevitably stuck down, leading to long-term apparent Jedi superiority.

I like to think that the dark-side is much more suited for instigation and change, whilst the light-side is suited for preservation and balance. The light builds, the darkness consumes. The darkness encroaches on the light, but in time the light will push back and drive the darkness away, but never does one completely dominate the other.

A Sith feeds on the darkness, but the darkness feeds on the Sith, eventually corrupting or damaging the user's body, mind, or spirit. A Jedi follows the light, and the light guides the Jedi, where one masters the Force whilst mastering the self.

Pretty much says it

Do you realize what website you're on? Let that sink in for a moment.....

How quaint. Do you know the difference between discussing what is written about Star Wars and arguing about something that isn't real, can only be settled by someone else and only if that someone just randomly decides it? The depicted power of a Stih or a Jedi is completely irrelevant because the Jedi always win, because someone, somewhere, decided it to be so. You can have a million Sidiouses and they would still lose because Lucas said so, crying or arguing doesn't matter at all and your opinion is completely and utterly worthless because of that fact.

Now, again, why are people arguing? It's an exercise in futility and can only dampen ones enjoyment of the franchise. Unless you roam the internet, looking for that next thing be angry about.

Sorry, but you kinda sound like a Jedi fanboy, or girl, just saying. Darth Tyrannus beat a Jedi Master (Kenobi) & a Jedi Knight (Anakin) at the same time, & even beat Kenobi again aboard The Invisible Hand.

Sidious slew FIVE of the Jedi Order's best Masters/council members in mere seconds, then proceeded to (ultimately) defeat Windu.

I can still go on. I couldn't care less that Lucas saved to societal pressure & said the 'good guys' are supposed to win. Every creator does that blah blah b;ah. Not really opinion here either. So Ima stand by what I said.

No, I sound like someone who disagrees with you, I could in turn state exactly the same thing to you and it would carry exactly the same credibility.

Why is the light and the Jedi Order always going to be stronger than their counterparts? because the Dark Side is the unnatural side of the force that can only lead to failure, it can never ever grant the same power the Light Side can, the ultimate goal for a Sith is only reachable by true dedication to the Light Side, true immortality can only be gained through the Light Side.

Jedi are trained their entire lives for the moment they die, so they can become one with the force, to become one with the force you must be able to let go of all passions, all your power and accept death, this is absolute blasphemy for any Sith, it is the absolute opposite to what they dedicate their lives to, which is gain as much power as you possibly can.

The Dark Side is the anti-force, it's ultimate power lies in devouring all life everywhere, it is nihilism in it's purest form, Darth Sidious, the strongest Sith Lord of all time had one ultimate goal, devour all life in the galaxy and reign eternally as some kind of god, not realising that to do this is to kill himself to and be destroyed.

All the power of the Dark Side comes from the force itself, the ultimate Sith goal and the ultimate power is unreachable through the Dark Side because you destroy everything including yourself in the progress.

The Force will never allow the Dark Side to 'win', when Plagueis and Sidious tried to create the ultimate Sith being, the Sith'Ari, not realising it was impossible because Darth Bane was the Sith'Ari, the force counter-attacked with the creation of the Chosen One and the Sith were doomed, ever since then the Sith have become a mockery of the Rule of Two, their greatest incarnation, reverting back to old and flawed ways that only lead to betrayal and self-destruction.

The Jedi will always win because they follow Ashla and the Sith are doomed by following Bogan and will repeat the same mistakes and lose every time.

The longest galactic reign was three and a half decades long where the Sith are concerned, the Jedi served the Republic for thousands upon thousands of years and kept the peace.

How quaint. Do you know the difference between discussing what is written about Star Wars and arguing about something that isn't real, can only be settled by someone else and only if that someone just randomly decides it? The depicted power of a Stih or a Jedi is completely irrelevant because the Jedi always win, because someone, somewhere, decided it to be so. You can have a million Sidiouses and they would still lose because Lucas said so, crying or arguing doesn't matter at all and your opinion is completely and utterly worthless because of that fact.

Now, again, why are people arguing? It's an exercise in futility and can only dampen ones enjoyment of the franchise. Unless you roam the internet, looking for that next thing be angry about.

We are Star Wars Geeks. It's what we do. :)

Heh...

If nothing else the Sith are far more 'relaxed' than the Jedi. None of that pesky monotone droning about 'the code', or constant battle against certain 'pent up' natural emotions.

When you can 'indulge' a bit, then you can free your mind, to think of other things.

The Sith are FAR more powerful than the Jedi. It is just that in life, the lesson has to be that good will eventually triumph over evil. Let's say that they ended the star wars movies at The Empire Strikes Back. Then evil would triumph and there would just be a bunch of angry fans. The Sith truly should be stronger but that will never happen. And, Bioware has gone crazy trying to even them out, but in PvP the Republic always seems to win, no matter the abilities thay have already attained or ahven't attained.