Lag issues

jlcrogue

I've had a big problem with lag ever since I played the beta. Sometimes the framerate is decent and at around 20 to 30 fps, but most of the time it's as low as 1 to 3 fps and I can't even move without running into walls or suddenly running in the wrong direction. People won't want to group up with me on flashpoints because the lag renders me virtually useless! Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of patience and my framerate will go up (loading the area), but no one's patient. I know it's not my video card because I have a decent gaming laptop (Intel core i7 1.6 GHz, Geforce GTX 260M 1GB, 4GB RAM) and all the graphics settings are on low. I've opened the task manager and noticed under networking that I have a 100Mbps connection, but the network utilization is almost always around 0% and never reaches any more than a fraction of a percent. I tried restarting the modem and router, but that didn't fix anything. Someone please help me with my networking problem, because the lag is usually so bad that I can't even play the game!

I had some problems with that when I played beta first time.

I removed Norton after than and switched off firewall, every time I wanted to play. Worked fine.

But I am nit sure if that is going to work for you, I would strongly advise asking your ISP if they block some ports on your line and/or have some maintenance. Finally, change of ISP may be an option as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've tried everything in this thread... playing this game is impossible! I play on an ASUS G72GX with Intel Core Duo P8700 2.53Ghz processor and Windows 7 64bit OS.

***?

I have the same laptop and have no problems with the game .Do you have alot running in the background??

I've had a big problem with lag ever since I played the beta. Sometimes the framerate is decent and at around 20 to 30 fps, but most of the time it's as low as 1 to 3 fps and I can't even move without running into walls or suddenly running in the wrong direction. People won't want to group up with me on flashpoints because the lag renders me virtually useless! Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of patience and my framerate will go up (loading the area), but no one's patient. I know it's not my video card because I have a decent gaming laptop (Intel core i7 1.6 GHz, Geforce GTX 260M 1GB, 4GB RAM) and all the graphics settings are on low. I've opened the task manager and noticed under networking that I have a 100Mbps connection, but the network utilization is almost always around 0% and never reaches any more than a fraction of a percent. I tried restarting the modem and router, but that didn't fix anything. Someone please help me with my networking problem, because the lag is usually so bad that I can't even play the game!

To confirm it's a network issue, check your ping rate. It's on the bottom of the mini map. If it drops, it's your connection. if not, it's something on your machine. BTW 20-30 FPS peak is not that great. I tried my laptop and it did the same thing when I went into heavy traffic areas. The video card couldn't handle it.

Edited by BebeLeBozo

I've tried everything in this thread... playing this game is impossible! I play on an ASUS G72GX with Intel Core Duo P8700 2.53Ghz processor and Windows 7 64bit OS.

***?

I have the same laptop and have no problems with the game .Do you have alot running in the background??

Nope.. I have nothing running in the background! WOW, really? you don't have any Frame rate issues at all?

nope no problems runs nice and smooth

you should have an app that came with your laptop called turbo gear try using that it might help you i haven't tried playing in normal mode only od mode hope this helps, also are your vid drivers updated?

Hy! I installed the game today! You can imagine how happy I was to finally get it :D

But that soon changed after I started playing. Like you guys I also have frame drops in some area. For instance, when I get into Jedi Temple it feels like I'm watching slideshow. I have everything on low settings, my laptop is i5 2933Mhz, 4GB ram, ATI HD 4370 1GB. I have no antivirus enabled. I wasn't completely expecting to play everything on high settings, but I didn't imagine this as well. A lot of people say it's the patch that's causing this. You guys also think this?

Hy! I installed the game today! You can imagine how happy I was to finally get it :D

But that soon changed after I started playing. Like you guys I also have frame drops in some area. For instance, when I get into Jedi Temple it feels like I'm watching slideshow. I have everything on low settings, my laptop is i5 2933Mhz, 4GB ram, ATI HD 4370 1GB. I have no antivirus enabled. I wasn't completely expecting to play everything on high settings, but I didn't imagine this as well. A lot of people say it's the patch that's causing this. You guys also think this?

Get a cooling pad. Laptops get super hot and that can cause slowdowns. I haven't have a single FPS drop since I got it.

I don't claim to be an expert but I can add some input as follows.

1) FPS issues will not be caused by your networking or the client (i.e. the latest patch).

2) If you are running in the min spec category of system I would recommend ensuring that all non-essential applications are closed, including antivirus. This includes start up programs. Having the firewall up should not have much of an impact.

3) Out of all the systems mentioned my feeling is the problem areas are the GPUs. Ssomeone said 4370 which, if my understanidng is correct, wasnt exactly groundbreaking 2 years ago).

I hope this is found useful, if anything is incorrect I hope someone with a better technical knowledge can advise.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I'll begin by stating this laptop is not mine it's my wife's and I hate it but what can you do.

Asus G72Gx

I will list the fixes I tried and what gave the best results. Keep in mind that you may be aware of some of the steps I am suggesting I am just trying to cover all the bases.

1.First of all make sure windows is up to date.

2.Download the beta drivers from nividia. As of my last check their last update was October of last year for actual drivers......go figure..grab the beta you won't regret it.

3. Check your power scheme. AKA the little plug in the right hand corner. Make sure it is set to high performance. You can overclock it but I wouldn't suggest it more as follows as to why.

4. Clean your machine! this laptop's cooling design really gets to me not only does it start to sound like a jet engine after awhile but if it's dusty forget it. Download a windows gadget or similar tool to check temp. Match gadget with type of video card you have. Buy a can of compressed air and blow out some of the dust.

5. maybe get a cooling pad I'm still debating this I will have to look at the laptop more in depth to see if a cooling pad is even feasible.

6. The above steps gave a big improvement in fps I got even more by making these in game settings changes.

7. Log into game. Open up graphics settings. Pretty much everything on low. You can check FPS by hitting control, shift, F. When I had the bare minimum I saw about 60-70 fps. Now I adjusted I believe character detail and AA 1 level higher or just on or low. This brought the frames down to about 40-50fps. However the game does run smoother and I haven't heard the wife freak out over fps drops in about a week now.

8. Lastly not sure how related this might be but the wife actually tried this before I did all this with some success. For some reason the game would play better after a complete shutdown not sure how this might be related not exactly a expert here. My final suggestions would be to do the above steps and test it out after a complete reboot.

9. I hope this helps a few of you out there with this annoying machine this is the best I have to offer.

10. 1 last thing I thought I should add for swtor this comp is by no means great just a fact as it is the above will at least make it playable thou if you want better settings save up for a new machine.

GL have fun and may the force be with you.

Edited by jforsberg
Forgot model for laptop....^^

• 2 weeks later...

yeah the lag in this game is way high.

My internet connection is 6Mbps and 512 up.

tested it to a server in California with speedtest.net and was 4.5Mbps down and 612Mbps up

I have an Amd HD 6950 1gb video card

Athlon X2 2.8Ghz 5600+

6Gb ram

Win 7 32 and tried it on Win 7 64 bit

EA/Bioware really need to work on this problem.