Just some facts about female gamers

kalarigamerchic

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The whole "genetic disposition" thing.

As a biologist I can tell you, yes there are genetic differences between males and females. However, when it comes to "gender roles" biology has very little to do with it. For starters gender roles vary significantly by country - ask a Japanese man and an American man what it means to "be a man" and you will get vastly different answers. So obviously gender roles have very little basis in biology in that they vary so considerably from country to country whereas the male and female sexes do vary by country.

One issue that people who like to cite "genetics/biology" always conveniently forget when discussing issues of male vs female preferences/aptitude is that parents, society, teachers, peers, etc expect certain behaviors from children of each sex. I remember, as a young girl, getting pestered constantly because I did not wear make-up, played video games, liked sports, and didn't like girly clothing. My parents, I found out just recently, were also constantly pressured to "actively encourage" me to behave "more like a girl". Even as babies each sex is genderized, I can't tell you the number of times my sister has taken away a doll or barbie my young nephew has picked up and replaced it with a truck or building block. Now that he's two, he doesn't pick up dolls anymore. Is that a sign that "as a male" he doesn't like beauty and fashion? Or has he just been socialized into behaving the way American's think boys should behave? There's no biology in "men like trucks" "girls like clothes" it's all about socialization.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but the "genetics" argument with examples of how [insert high % of women I know] do X or Y, always annoy me because it ignores this process of socialization that I know personally to have incredibly strong effects on the vast majority of people. We can't all be pigheaded-stubborn children like myself with parents graceful and strong enough to not let the community bother you into thinking there's something wrong with your child pursuing what he or she loves. Sadly the opposite is mostly true. I mean, look at the flak accepting parent of openly gay or transgendered parents get in the national media even. Recently, N.C. preacher Sean Harris was caught on video suggesting that you beat toddlers who exhibit [sic] girly habits[sic] and beat young girls who like sports and "don't even try to be pretty". Many American's still have serious issues with gender non-conformity and actively discourage it in their children.

As a biologist I can tell you, yes there are genetic differences between males and females. However, when it comes to "gender roles" biology has very little to do with it. For starters gender roles vary significantly by country - ask a Japanese man and an American man what it means to "be a man" and you will get vastly different answers. So obviously gender roles have very little basis in biology in that they vary so considerably from country to country whereas the male and female sexes do vary by country.

One issue that people who like to cite "genetics/biology" always conveniently forget when discussing issues of male vs female preferences/aptitude is that parents, society, teachers, peers, etc expect certain behaviors from children of each sex. I remember, as a young girl, getting pestered constantly because I did not wear make-up, played video games, liked sports, and didn't like girly clothing. My parents, I found out just recently, were also constantly pressured to "actively encourage" me to behave "more like a girl". Even as babies each sex is genderized, I can't tell you the number of times my sister has taken away a doll or barbie my young nephew has picked up and replaced it with a truck or building block. Now that he's two, he doesn't pick up dolls anymore. Is that a sign that "as a male" he doesn't like beauty and fashion? Or has he just been socialized into behaving the way American's think boys should behave? There's no biology in "men like trucks" "girls like clothes" it's all about socialization.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but the "genetics" argument with examples of how [insert high % of women I know] do X or Y, always annoy me because it ignores this process of socialization that I know personally to have incredibly strong effects on the vast majority of people. We can't all be pigheaded-stubborn children like myself with parents graceful and strong enough to not let the community bother you into thinking there's something wrong with your child pursuing what he or she loves. Sadly the opposite is mostly true. I mean, look at the flak accepting parent of openly gay or transgendered parents get in the national media even. Recently, N.C. preacher Sean Harris was caught on video suggesting that you beat toddlers who exhibit [sic] girly habits[sic] and beat young girls who like sports and "don't even try to be pretty". Many American's still have serious issues with gender non-conformity and actively discourage it in their children.

Excellent post. ^^^^^^:D

Usually I only bring up gender when it's brought up in the chat. I.e.

Hey, go get Neshani he's a great tank.

Neshani here, it's actually she, and sure I'll run [insert flash point] with you.

I see nothing sad or "attention grabbing" about correcting someone if they refer to me as he. Why hide that I'm a she?

Agreed 100%. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to be referred to as "she" when I'm a female. I don't see why it's attention grabbing to not want to be referred to a gender I am not.

Not to throw off this whole believing women play nothing but healers post but I must say that as long as I have played MMO's most of the women I have met have played a DPS class of some kind more than anything. Never once have I seen a healer and have said "Oh that must be a woman playing the character. I am a man and have played healing classes in all the MMO's I have played with a couple of tank classes on the side.

It sounds more like you stereotype yourselves into believing most players think women play healers. Though I can agree how sad it is that many of the men in the gaming community either truly believe that women do not play at all or just continue to move on with a very old and tiring joke.

It's posts like this that really make me wish there was a like button on the forums. Thank you for this well thought out and articulate post!! :D

Edited by natashina

Nothing special about female gamers, never understood why basement adults get so much fuss from it.

My hot girlfriend plays games, so what?

sadly some ppl still make a fuss of it..

in guild chat after finding xyz is female.. omg post your photo on guild-website.. omg you so hott.. incoming whispers... incoming offers for help etc... omg your voice is hott (on vent).. omg your accent is hott (on vent).. etc etc endless

played WoW for years with my better half, she plays tank and healer set ups with different chars, i play tank and healer to compliment her chars.

big guild we were in and raided top end at pinnacle had a high amount of female gamers, we had laughs and stuff in vent, no one cared as long as x char did its job, and wasnt an *** in general, guild or vent chat...male OR female. My better half and her friend (also female) main tanked WoW firelands at pinnacle and we cleared it down before any nerfs etc.

incoming generalisation - i found females to be better raiders than the males because they paid attention to details, where as the blokes had the "me smash, you die" attitude more often than not

(i *did* say incoming generalisation)

seriously i mean, you're female.....ok, please to meet you, im not

:D

I've known a lot of female gamers. In Dallas, we hold a LAN Party every month playing a lot of shooters, fighting games, strategy games, etc. and there are at least 20 females there. They compete just as hard. They love Halo, COD, Gears of War, WoW, Gran Turismo, Tekken, Red Dead Redemption. They like the way some of the female characters look too.

I've played with females in Battlefield 3 and one of them is a damn good Helo pilot. Still own her *** in Jets but she tries.

Hell, I competed with some in MLG events.

Still, despite this all. Every guy still has something to prove when playing girls. It might be subtle or not, but sometimes its something we can't control. Hormones and all that.

Girls in games are varied too. Just like guys, some can take their ***-whoopins and some lose freakin' control. Bad thing about some girls losing control is that they have high-pitched siren yells that make your ears bleed. Ladies, please do not resort to that. You can call people names and tell them they'll be forever alone but please don't turn their brain into mush through one violent scream.

Is getting laid one of the finer things in life?

Yes. Yes it is.:D

I noticed some "women only play healers." and stuff like that. i just thought i would point out that our guild just recruited a DPS GS whom we realized was female once we were on Voice Chat. She owns in PvP (kicked my *** more times than i would like to talk about when we found ourselves on opposite sides in a WZ:() and PvE. I am fully aware that not all (or even most) women play healers, but I just thougth i would put this little tidbit out there.

Edited by Angel_of_Cain

Girls in games are varied too. Just like guys, some can take their ***-whoopins and some lose freakin' control. Bad thing about some girls losing control is that they have high-pitched siren yells that make your ears bleed. Ladies, please do not resort to that. You can call people names and tell them they'll be forever alone but please don't turn their brain into mush through one violent scream.

I lol'd. Good thing I don't scream on any voice apps, however, I do tell people to die in a fire. I also play a healer, but I started off as DPS and a damn good one until a healer quit and I was told to heal our raids. QQ

Edited by Wickedjinx

Yes. Yes it is.:D

I noticed some "women only play healers." and stuff like that. i just thought i would point out that our guild just recruited a DPS GS whom we realized was female once we were on Voice Chat. She owns in PvP (kicked my *** more times than i would like to talk about when we found ourselves on opposite sides in a WZ:() and PvE. I am fully aware that not all (or even most) women play healers, but I just thougth i would put this little tidbit out there.

I'm okay with this. xD

On your point about healers, this is true. Me? I'll play anything. In WoW I LOVE my paladin. She's main spec healer, off spec tank. I started off tank and switched to healer in Cataclysm for raiding. Only reason for it was tanking in Cata is so BORING. D:

I'm leaning toward damage/healing in SWTOR, but I'll try tanking eventually. xD

why can't we all just get along.. despite our lack of parts or due to our parts :D

I like to shoot your face, despite being a girl. I enjoy kicking your bu** despite my being a girl. Something awesomely fun about beating on a man in a MMO that makes me smile lol..

Kidding, all jokes aside though why can't we all just get along

*puts on deep voice*

First they took over the living room...

Then you lost your office...

Suddenly you are going to get groceries...

And then... You lost the toilet...

Now in the year 2012 men are fighting a desperate battle to defend their last sanctuary...

ONLINE GAMING

(in cinemas 6/9-12)

*puts on deep voice*

First they took over the living room...

Then you lost your office...

Suddenly you are going to get groceries...

And then... You lost the toilet...

Now in the year 2012 men are fighting a desperate battle to defend their last sanctuary...

ONLINE GAMING

(in cinemas 6/9-12)

Too scary. You forgot that they even took our TV remotes!

Living room. Way ahead of you my friend. :rolleyes:

Nonono - haven't you heard? Thats why we invented entertainment rooms! And they followed us even there!

Clothes too! Yes you heard it here first! Shirts, pants, jackets - if theirs are not handy they wear ours!

The horror.

But what can we do? Especially in regards to gaming. I mean we learnt it here - the experts tried everything, marketing tactics failed, there is no escape. Did we try reverse psychology yet?? :D