A simple lore question

JadeBalfour

Hey all.

I was just wondering if it's possible to tell if you are using the dark side of the force. I'm not sure if I missed anything.

Just curious is all.

If you shot lightning than you are using the dark side of the force.

Hey all.

I was just wondering if it's possible to tell if you are using the dark side of the force. I'm not sure if I missed anything.

Just curious is all.

While certain abilities/techniques are considered Darkside, the main consideration in the StarWars universe is your state of mind at the time, if you are angry, aggressive, scared etc and you use the force then you have used the Darkside, if you were happy, serene, or any other emotion considered positive you probably used the Lightside.

The most basic way is your motive and your reasoning. If you shoot a bolt of lighting at a guy because he's mad, then you're probably using the dark side. Now take, for example, a criminal chasing an innocent bystander. If you use the Force to save the bystander by attacking the criminal, is that dark side? Not necessarily. However, if you use Force lightning on him to fry him, instead of simply rendering him unconscious with the Force, that could be considered dark side. Why? Because there was another alternative, but you chose to go the route that would harm the criminal. It would be like if a policeman had a tazer and a gun within equal reach, and the criminal hadn't shot at him yet, but he used the gun. Not necessarily evil, but he could have just as easily used the tazer and saved two lives rather than one. Now I'm not saying guns are evil, the way you use them makes them evil or not. Same for the Force. If there is a perfectly reasonable, without-a-doubt right motive for using Force lightning, then the lightning itself isn't evil. Just the way you use it.