This game feels abandoned

HexDecimalUK

There will Always be Doom and Gloomers the Same OP will say the same thing about Wildstar ESO and Titanfall after they burn through all the content and see that they don't have events every two hours there either.. i love how some people think the newest thing out or coming out soon is going to be the Holy Grail of MMO's and change everything when in fact they end up being Average or a Disappointment

Hard to argue with this statement. I guess the problem is that until A.I is created, people will always burn through content faster than creators can keep up. Before I got into MMO's, I always thought that the reason you payed every month is so they could afford to keep pumping out the story but even the best can't keep up with die hard players.

I look forward to the day when A.I takes over in gaming and every NPC has a life and mind and the stories never end. I however do not look forward to them reading this forum, deciding we're too stupid to live and nuking us all.

The future.....

Edited by Elfa

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and yet so often those fat guys in arm chair are just using extensive knowledge of their sport coupled with basic common sense and those leading the teams often make huge mistakes that they themselves admit to.

Blind calls by refs, poor player substitutions, stupid play calling, etc. Sometimes an outside pair of eyes can more readily see the mistakes being made than those in the mire of it all.

As with so many of the complaints being made here, its just simple observation made without the blindness of fanboi goggles.

Yes, that's why those fatguys are the well-paid professionals, right? Because of their well-honed knowledge gleaned from watching professionals do their jobs.

Yes, that's why those fatguys are the well-paid professionals, right? Because of their well-honed knowledge gleaned from watching professionals do their jobs.

Do you have some grudge against fat people Infernixx? What the hell is your deal anyways, did you come on here to call everyone fat and stupid today? Do you think being over weight is a laughing matter?! Do you think just because people are over weight that they have no intelligence?!

I see all of your prejudices are laid bare...

Too obvious of a troll? Sorry, tis the season and all.

Edited by Elfa

There will Always be Doom and Gloomers the Same OP will say the same thing about Wildstar ESO and Titanfall after they burn through all the content and see that they don't have events every two hours there either.. i love how some people think the newest thing out or coming out soon is going to be the Holy Grail of MMO's and change everything when in fact they end up being Average or a Disappointment

I don't think that at all, in fact i expect very little and im circling total disregard for PC gaming itself in a rapidly decaying orbit but there are games, MMOs, mods of games that do exactly what im asking after years and are still to this day packed with players and developer involvement as a PVPer those games dont have the balance and attention to PVP i demand but those i point towards those games are always shocked at how lively they are and that's not say i don't play them at all.

Its no secret this game has fallen horribly short of its intended population if you think its doing well your sorely mistaken its NOT, go take take a look at the WOW server browser and then this game's server browser and then look up how much money has been spent making this game, then look up failure.

Live dynamic events is a way to make the user feel like they are in a highly active and busy environment, it shows caring and attention from the developers to both the top geared 55 and level 1 noob alike. it creats a sense of spontaneity and excitement to get involved with these things WHILE THEY'RE HAPPENING. Yes its not really all that much for most part beyond treats for the attentive but its called posotive reinforcement and above all benefits the most important player to us, the NEWBS! you think i really want these things at 55? i just want to see direct involvement by the developers the point is to keep the leveling newbies interested and excited while the trudge towards the endgame content that we enjoy.

Sure i enjoy the gree event, the bounty broker thing, things like that but why are they so rare? i mean were paying for this can they not be bothered? whats to stop the gree being on a daily bases? then the ship just takes off and npcs and orbs and boxes and crystals don't re-spawn, . why isnt a dread guard cruiser flying over kaas city and dropping a ton of HKs down each day, wheres Revan? this galaxy is in a permanent stalemate and doing nothing when it could be in a raging war but there are no attacks, no surprises, no bonuses, the player base might be alive but the GAME that we occupy is totally and utterly dead and forgotten.

and GSF is a joke, a clone of starconflict as someone already said, i didnt care for that game why would i care about this one, even makeb is dead, they add the content and leave us to it so what? thats the builders of this theme park now where the hell are the organizers? all i see is gift shops.

Edited by HexDecimalUK

...and yet so often those fat guys in arm chair are just using extensive knowledge of their sport coupled with basic common sense and those leading the teams often make huge mistakes that they themselves admit to.

Blind calls by refs, poor player substitutions, stupid play calling, etc. Sometimes an outside pair of eyes can more readily see the mistakes being made than those in the mire of it all.

As with so many of the complaints being made here, its just simple observation made without the blindness of fanboi goggles.

Here we go again with the attitude of those that do not agree with my opinion of the the state of the game are blind and deluded fools.

Hundreds of thousands of people are enjoying the game and this does not make them them deluded. Your opinion is entirely valid and so is theirs.

Edited by RandomXChance

Your post is very hard to read in places, so sorry in advance if I'm misunderstanding some of what you're trying to say...

Its no secret this game has fallen horribly short of its intended population if you think its doing well your sorely mistaken its NOT, go take take a look at the WOW server browser and then this game's server browser and then look up how much money has been spent making this game, then look up failure.

Just because it didn't meet initial expectations doesn't mean it's not doing well - the whole point of the CM and Free-to-Play is that they found a different way to monetize the game than the Subscription model they were initially banking on. Reports coming out now say that the game is profitable.

And if your baseline for not being a "failure" is hitting WoW's numbers? Sorry but that's just ridiculous.

The only valid point you've raised there is that this game did cost a butt-ton of $$$ to develop, which does raise the bar for how profitable it needs to be to count as a success. But given they're still investing money into it to produce things like GSF, and given the reports they've released saying it is making money, it seems like they're hitting that mark.

whats to stop the gree being on a daily bases? then the ship just takes off and npcs and orbs and boxes and crystals don't re-spawn,

Pretty sure you're going to alienate more players than you're going to please if they have to roll the dice on whether they're going to get to participate in a given bit of content each day.

If I log in today, I want to know I can go to Oricon and the Dread War will be going on so I can run my Dailies. If I log on next week during the Gree Event, I want to know the Gray Secant will be there whether I decide to log on at 10am or at 11pm - not everyone is on the same schedule. The nice thing about 1-2 week long events that are persistent for the full duration is that it gives people plenty of time to enjoy the content on their own schedule.

this galaxy is in a permanent stalemate and doing nothing when it could be in a raging war but there are no attacks, no surprises, no bonuses, the player base might be alive but the GAME that we occupy is totally and utterly dead and forgotten.

There is more than one way for a game to feel "alive" for some players. I'm sorry that Dynamic events are the be-all, end-all as far as you're concerned, but for me, the progressing storyline does more to make the Galaxy feel alive than anything.

Rescuing the Dread Masters in the Belsavis quest chain in 1.0; hearing hints that some unknown force was attacking Hutt Space in the Karagga's Palace in 1.1; learning that the Dread Masters had gone rogue in Explosive Conflict in 1.2; seeing the chaos they were willing to unleash on the Galaxy in Terror From Beyond in 1.4; fighting against their growing army in Section X in 1.5; their raid on the Arcanum and the Seeds of Rage plotline in 2.0; finally go face-to-face with a Dread Master in Scum and Villany; and ultimately a chance to truly take the fight to them on Oricon in 2.4 and face them all in the Dread Palace - That progression keeps the game from feeling "dead and forgotten" to me.

Didn't they JUST add Galactic Starfighter?

To me that is one of the signs they are just milking it for cash.

If they were REALLY into the whole MMO and building a future GSF would have been a lot different:

1) The hanger would have been a place, with ships in it. Not a dialog box that looks like the main screen of an iPad game

2) The "lol new" companions would actually exist :rolleyes: what is next, planets that only have a still picture and cannot be visited?

3) The ships would have been actual locations you could go to and walk around in. lol, of course that would have been hard, what would have been in the crew members seat for the new companions, a picture in a frame? :D

GSF is not integrated into the MMO at all, in fact I would not be 1 bit surprised if they released it as an app on crApple or crApdriod. They are a perfect match :p

Edited by Foambreaker

I don't think it feels abandoned. At all. I'm always starting new characters and see the starting planets filled with people all the time. I also see fleet constantly busy and the other planets have many people as well. So I don't get where you are under the impression that this game feels abandoned. Sure, it doesn't have 100 people every square game mile, but it has lots of people.

And let's be honest. Sometimes there can be too MANY people.

I don't think it feels abandoned. At all. I'm always starting new characters and see the starting planets filled with people all the time. I also see fleet constantly busy and the other planets have many people as well. So I don't get where you are under the impression that this game feels abandoned. Sure, it doesn't have 100 people every square game mile, but it has lots of people.

It probably has more to do with how static world is rather than actual player count. Since mobs rarely move around and the planets pretty much never change, you can feel pretty alone out there unless you see the occassional player moving around. And that can be pretty rare depending on the planet you're on. On Balmorra there's usually 80 players tops during the weekend, which isn't all that much when you look at the size of the gaming area.

But personally I like it that way. I actually go out of my way to avoid other players and try to play when I think there'll be less people since they tend to ruin my cutscenes by drawing their lightsabers, running and jumping around, etc.

Still, I think they could change a few things here and there to make the worlds seem more "alive" even when there aren't other players around. Maybe have certain creatures attack each other to simulate "hunting" or have mobs move around more. Add some small weather effects like rain in certain areas. I think there's already water rising from the waterfall in Dromund Kaas, more little stuff like that. Fog appearing at random times maybe. Etc.

(I think they added smoke to the chimneys at the balmorran arms factory - that makes it seem like the factories actually in use. Stuff like that).

Edited by Blackholeskipper

Didn't they JUST add Galactic Starfighter?

Yep, and I have about as much use for GS as pocket lint. But, not every update and content release will appeal to everyone.

I'll wait for them to come out with something I care about next that doesn't involve PVP, dailies, and cartel, but that's prob a long wait.

Edited by DarthVengeant

constantly repeats and even edits the OP with big bold letters saying im refering to dynamic events, whole forum gets up in arms and has a continues flid about the population.

Yes i did mention the population isn't what it could be but thats me pointing out a single consequence but on the whole i dont have a problem with that.

When a thread that states its about one thing and everyone gets defensive about another that is proof that the OTHER is a real problem that they have already acknowledged but again its not my problem and i dont know how i could have made the OP clearer that i feel the game is abandoned by EAWARE and not the players although in every guild iv been in only 1 in about 20 still play the game but again thats not what im talking about.

*sighs and walks away

Edited by HexDecimalUK

Yep, and I have about as much use for GS as pocket lint. But, not every update and content release will appeal to everyone.

I'll wait for them to come out with something I care about next that doesn't involve PVP, dailies, and cartel, but that's prob a long wait.

So, you're not interested in anything related to GS, ground PVP, cartel stuff or dailies.

Well, I can certainly see why you're subbed up, then, your interests are so varied.

Yep, they just copied the code and pasted into the the blank spot in their '*** do we do next' program and hit ENTER.

NAILED IT.

Oh, yeah, you nailed it, just like the argument that they skipped at least half of creation process by taking nearly all rules, ship classes and control engine from other game. They DID create textures, special effects and maps, but the whole concept of the game, ship classes, feel heavily unoriginal. Id exept something more from the SW based game, but i guess its going down like most of so called F2P games.

Pity, it was a great dream in its first months, for SWTOR to be proud member of MMORPG genre.

Oh, yeah, you nailed it, just like the argument that they skipped at least half of creation process by taking nearly all rules, ship classes and control engine from other game. They DID create textures, special effects and maps, but the whole concept of the game, ship classes, feel heavily unoriginal. Id exept something more from the SW based game, but i guess its going down like most of so called F2P games.

Pity, it was a great dream in its first months, for SWTOR to be proud member of MMORPG genre.

Oh, so SC created the 'concept' of the flight sim game as well as the idea of 'scout ships' and 'gun ships' and 'strike fighters'....That's a new one.

Oh, I see..You're not saying that at all. What you're saying is that GS is a twist on an established concept, adapted and designed to fit into TOR.

Well, that's reasonable. I can live with that.

I mean, it'd be ridiculous to expect any company to come up with a completely original and innovative mini-game that hasn't already been created by someone else in the MMO genre. Right? Only the silliest of people would have such high expectations when an adapted flight sim game with a TOR twist would be awesomely good fun and would lose nothing whatsoever in the process by being that adapted game...

It's a good thing no one's saying that.

Oh, so SC created the 'concept' of the flight sim game as well as the idea of 'scout ships' and 'gun ships' and 'strike fighters'....That's a new one.

Oh, I see..You're not saying that at all. What you're saying is that GS is a twist on an established concept, adapted and designed to fit into TOR.

Well, that's reasonable. I can live with that.

I mean, it'd be ridiculous to expect any company to come up with a completely original and innovative mini-game that hasn't already been created by someone else in the MMO genre. Right? Only the silliest of people would have such high expectations when an adapted flight sim game with a TOR twist would be awesomely good fun and would lose nothing whatsoever in the process by being that adapted game...

It's a good thing no one's saying that.

Dude, it's not a unique twist. It's really just how can we copy-paste this game completely but get away with it? Oh, I know, let's add companion voice overs. That's what it is. The gamplay, the classes, even the asteroid map are almost COMPLETELY the same. Is it really such an affront for people to expect something slightly more unique for the super secret space project? What's so bad about a little innovation?

Because shipping a star wars game with a sub-par arcade on-rail shooter that looks like something i could get on my ipad then slightly improving it 2 years later is an exceptional example of Bioware's commitment to content.

Oh, wise words... :(

Dude, it's not a unique twist. It's really just how can we copy-paste this game completely but get away with it? Oh, I know, let's add companion voice overs. That's what it is. The gamplay, the classes, even the asteroid map are almost COMPLETELY the same. Is it really such an affront for people to expect something slightly more unique for the super secret space project? What's so bad about a little innovation?

Well they took from a game before that, and that took from a game before that and so on and so forth, all the way back to Star Wars: X-wing back in 1993...

So essentially, they are ripping off x-wing... and that's a good thing.

Well they took from a game before that, and that took from a game before that and so on and so forth, all the way back to Star Wars: X-wing back in 1993...

Apparently, a TOR product no longer has to simply be fun and exciting for a huge chunk of its players, it now has to be innovative and original, whatever that means in this day and age.

With all the comments and complaints I've heard from players outside the forums, one thing I don't hear is "omg, GS is so unoriginal and a pure copy of other existing games, I hate it."

I think SWTOR really has original things, such as the single-player style questing, you get full dialogues and choices, albeit not choices that have much of a lasting effect, but choices nonetheless. I feel SWTOR is unique in an MMORPG in how the questsing is done. All voiced, all dialogues. Not just s screen with text. That's new for me.

A lot of MMORPG's have their one thing that stands out, it would be great if they copied those things a lot more instead. Made one game out of all the good things that stands out in every game. Copy on. Steal on.

I think SWTOR really has original things, such as the single-player style questing, you get full dialogues and choices, albeit not choices that have much of a lasting effect, but choices nonetheless. I feel SWTOR is unique in an MMORPG in how the questsing is done. All voiced, all dialogues. Not just s screen with text. That's new for me.

A lot of MMORPG's have their one thing that stands out, it would be great if they copied those things a lot more instead. Made one game out of all the good things that stands out in every game. Copy on. Steal on.

To me, this is one of the biggest problems that SWTOR has. The story is great, it's what's kept me here. I want to play through all of the class stories. But with so much else in the game it seems like they looked at their competition and instead of seeing what worked, what players liked, and doing it better, they just went for average. There's a ton of unrealized potential in this game, and a lot of it could have been seen already.

They haven't ripped off XvT. Outside of spacecraft moving about, it's not that close. The controls are totally different, the moving reticule is weird, people can evade attacks by means other than piloting ability, no decent throttle control, there's a sniper ship going against everything that was SW space, and YPR behaves way differently.

If they had copied XvT exactly, even with the worse graphics, that would be an improvement to GS.

To me, this is one of the biggest problems that SWTOR has. The story is great, it's what's kept me here. I want to play through all of the class stories. But with so much else in the game it seems like they looked at their competition and instead of seeing what worked, what players liked, and doing it better, they just went for average. There's a ton of unrealized potential in this game, and a lot of it could have been seen already.

You are right, and that IS a problem with EA and ALL OF MMO GAMES IT OWNED. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, if you still dont know it, EA (the major destroyer of best MMOS) owns SWTOR. Instead of providing all the innovative stuff that BW promised during all those years of production, EA decided to milk title, by making it medicore and using formula from other mmo games (mainly taking formula from wow, yeah, i know wow does it aswell, but it compiles it together) , and adding some own content, which they later ignore to make it even more medicore (im talking about bolster system idea being thrown into the can once you reach max lvl).

Dont get me wrong, idea of voiceover, story-driven quests is really, REALLY immersive. But when story ends, immersion vanishes, mainly thanks to copy-paste daily system from, (yeah, you gonna hate me for this) WoW, and dungeon farming. Or PvP farming. At least people have something else to do with GSF.

Its sad to see SW title being sold like this...Thank you businessmen from EA, who cant understand, that making games is an art, not manufacture.

This is unfortunately not the first, nor the last game that will end the same way by EA hand.

You are right, and that IS a problem with EA and ALL OF MMO GAMES IT OWNED. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, if you still dont know it, EA (the major destroyer of best MMOS) owns SWTOR. Instead of providing all the innovative stuff that BW promised during all those years of production, EA decided to milk title, by making it medicore and using formula from other mmo games (mainly taking formula from wow, yeah, i know wow does it aswell, but it compiles it together) , and adding some own content, which they later ignore to make it even more medicore (im talking about bolster system idea being thrown into the can once you reach max lvl).

Dont get me wrong, idea of voiceover, story-driven quests is really, REALLY immersive. But when story ends, immersion vanishes, mainly thanks to copy-paste daily system from, (yeah, you gonna hate me for this) WoW, and dungeon farming. Or PvP farming. At least people have something else to do with GSF.

Its sad to see SW title being sold like this...Thank you businessmen from EA, who cant understand, that making games is an art, not manufacture.

This is unfortunately not the first, nor the last game that will end the same way by EA hand.

OMG Are you saying that EA owns TOR????