Guardian/Juggernaut Tank best in slot

MacFlow

hello hello everyone (sry for my bad english)

I'm looking for some advice in how to change the gear of my guardian/juggernaut tank (in pvp).

I'm using "Advanced Fortitude Augment 28" atm and i tried to get as much "Defense Chance" in my gear as possible. Which means, I got rid of all the Shield Absorbtion from the mods and enhancements and I ounly use the Earpiece and Implants with defense.

Why did I do this? Well, I read once (somewhere) that defense is more important then shield (at least in pvp). But is this still (if ever) the case?

I just can't find a nice guide that deals with this question. :-(

My goal is to stay alive as long as possible. So no need for Hybrid or DPS stuff. What helps me the most in pvp? Absorb or Defense? Or half and half?

Any help would be REALY great :-)

Best choice is reroll to any other tank cuz except Huttball, jugg tank is useless spot in team, cuz have crappiest dps, cannot alone defend node without risk being ninjad and have not -30% aoe dr for main fight to stay alive in smash storm.

This is a lie, Guardians can do just as good at node guarding as the other Tanks, it just depends on the players. Also Guardians have the best defenses of the Tanks. He also lied because PT Tanks are better for Huttball, with Jump and Pull, and I would know having both.

On the subject of gear, I would get a balance of Shield/Absorb/Defense with a little more defense than the other 2, and stick with the Fortitude Augs.

This is a lie, Guardians can do just as good at node guarding as the other Tanks, it just depends on the players..

You are probably play on RP-PVE server dude if your operatives and sins dont know how easy can ninja pylon/node/door with defender jugg tank, hahaha :D

Edited by TonyDragonflame

On the subject of gear, I would get a balance of Shield/Absorb/Defense with a little more defense than the other 2, and stick with the Fortitude Augs.

I started to get some Absorb mods. I think it's better then full Defense, will see...

Thank you for your reply :-)

Best choice is reroll to any other tank cuz except Huttball, jugg tank is useless spot in team, cuz have crappiest dps, cannot alone defend node without risk being ninjad and have not -30% aoe dr for main fight to stay alive in smash storm.

Wow this guy been sippin to much coolaid.

Jugg are by FAR the best pvp tank. The point of a tank is not to lone guard nodes lol its to protect the Healer and no other class can do it better than a jugg with proper taunting and intercede with guard. A OP healer and a juggTank is DEVASTATING to play aggainst almost unkillable. You must not see that on your server but people on pot5 know teamwork and somtimes that makes for long matches with almost unkillable pocket healers.

To the question is def better, yes .

Wow this guy been sippin to much coolaid.

Jugg are by FAR the best pvp tank. .

There is why only 1 guardian in Top-100 group ranked and only 3 juggs in Top-100 solo ranked (and all 3 vigilance there, not immortal) for sure. :o

/facepalm

Try to play some pvp instead your fp/operations dude. Good luck.

There is why only 1 guardian in Top-100 group ranked and only 3 juggs in Top-100 solo ranked (and all 3 vigilance there, not immortal) for sure. :o

/facepalm

LoL the reason jug tanks are not high on the leaderboard is because in 4v4 the tank's damage potential is vastly more important than its tanking ability. Everyone runs PT hybrid tanks not because the hybrid is a good tank, but because it allows that team to effectively have 3 dps and a decent tank.

In terms of tanking ability alone jug is unmatched in PvP, that's why pretty much every single ranked team from the day 8v8 ranked started to the day it ended ran a jug/guardian tank. Compared to the fullspecs of Sin and VG, Jugg has the best DcD, the best CC, and the best utility.

/facepalm

As far as arenas stand, they are the worst tank cuz there damage output is laughable. The are still arguably the best healer guard in WZs. Most teams ran one to protect the healer pre 2.4. Well pre PT hybrid tank (which is killed in 2.6 anyway).

And I thought most of the top ranked guardians will be rage. Oh well, all three trees are bad in arenas anyway.

Edited by Ottoattack

My other toon retiring at the end of month is a Vanguard 100% tank, and I can tell you the grass is not greener. Tanks are fun in Huttball and if you have a good healer to guard, you can contribute quite a bit, but overall meh compared to most other classes.

>>Well, I read once (somewhere) that defense is more important then shield (at least in pvp). But is this still (if ever) the case?

The best thing you can get for gear is the Oberon level Relic with Reactive Shielding. Just pure damage absorption on all attacks, can't go wrong. One thing I noticed the Reactive Shielding relic text doesn't explicitly state that it does not stack, so maybe this will work with Oberon + Conq? Other then the relic... It's all pretty minor. I personally started stacking a bit more shielding then defense after the changes that allowed most pvp damage types to be shielded and went with Fort augments.

>>As far as arenas stand, they are the worst tank cuz there damage output is laughable.

Full tank tree Vanguard dps is laughable as well. Especially after the raw 5% across the board damage nerf and stockstrike nerf from a few patches ago. In a one on one fight, damage mitigation doesn't balance with the lack of ability to deal damage. VG has no dispatch ability. I'm lucky if I get the medal for the >2500 hit.

For node guarding, Vanguard has Shoulder Cannon which can be used while stunned, so that is a big advantage, but better hope a teammate hears the call or the opponent is undergeared/bad as you will end up dead because you hit like a wet noodle. (or make it to the health powerup first)

>>Everyone runs PT hybrid tanks not because the hybrid is a good tank, but because it allows that team to effectively have 3 dps and a decent tank.

Absolutely true. I hope they reset the leaderboards with 2.6 as this will change the VG/PT landscape significantly.

Final note: I am in mostly obroan (mostly from normal WZs) and with the bolster tweaks being uncovered, now anyone can show up with same-or-better gear... yea, that is a major factor for not renewing.

My other toon retiring at the end of month is a Vanguard 100% tank, and I can tell you the grass is not greener. Tanks are fun in Huttball and if you have a good healer to guard, you can contribute quite a bit, but overall meh compared to most other classes.

>>Well, I read once (somewhere) that defense is more important then shield (at least in pvp). But is this still (if ever) the case?

The best thing you can get for gear is the Oberon level Relic with Reactive Shielding. Just pure damage absorption on all attacks, can't go wrong. One thing I noticed the Reactive Shielding relic text doesn't explicitly state that it does not stack, so maybe this will work with Oberon + Conq? Other then the relic... It's all pretty minor. I personally started stacking a bit more shielding then defense after the changes that allowed most pvp damage types to be shielded and went with Fort augments.

>>As far as arenas stand, they are the worst tank cuz there damage output is laughable.

Full tank tree Vanguard dps is laughable as well. Especially after the raw 5% across the board damage nerf and stockstrike nerf from a few patches ago. In a one on one fight, damage mitigation doesn't balance with the lack of ability to deal damage. VG has no dispatch ability. I'm lucky if I get the medal for the >2500 hit.

For node guarding, Vanguard has Shoulder Cannon which can be used while stunned, so that is a big advantage, but better hope a teammate hears the call or the opponent is undergeared/bad as you will end up dead because you hit like a wet noodle. (or make it to the health powerup first)

>>Everyone runs PT hybrid tanks not because the hybrid is a good tank, but because it allows that team to effectively have 3 dps and a decent tank.

Absolutely true. I hope they reset the leaderboards with 2.6 as this will change the VG/PT landscape significantly.

Final note: I am in mostly obroan (mostly from normal WZs) and with the bolster tweaks being uncovered, now anyone can show up with same-or-better gear... yea, that is a major factor for not renewing.

VG/PT full tanks are not in a great position. They can deal better damage than jugg tank, but not by much. Assassin on the other hand can easily put 500-800 dps as tank, and can use dps gear more freely than the other 2 tanks. Much of the assassin tank defense is passive (dark ward and defense chance), and is the only tank that has both damage and accuracy debuff. It is still to be seen, but I think sin tanks will dominate the tank position after 2.6.

As for the change in leader boards position for VG/PT, not really. Pyro is arguably the best single target dps and AP is very strong spec all over with emphasis on aoe/anti aoe. PT will remain viable in the dps spot.