View Single Post

cunctatorg
01.09.2018 , 10:42 AM | #1
I fell (fall?) in love with Star Wars for many reasons since I watched Episode IV: A New Hope back in 1980 when I was sixteen years old...

However the main reason is that George Lucas' Star Wars had something to tell about the persons of the real world and about myself, namely it had (and has) to said something that I valued as very important!

In fact George Lucas' SW has spoken about two different things: the influence of politics (and particularly of the "Leviathan" of the State to the life of (even gifted and "strong") human individuals and the relationship between i) the pressure of the reality and ii) the finite, e.g. the weak human nature and the deepest desires of this, non-omnipotent and non-omniscient but very gifted and (hopefully) self-respected (and perhaps) egotistic individual.
That said, George Lucas has been an artist with a vision and one skilled director. And last but not least, he is (was?) also an ambitious businessman.

I have already written that the aforementioned Star Wars can be compared i) with e.g. Beethoven's "Coriolanus Overture" and also with Coppola's "The Godfather I, II"; after all it seems to me that Star Wars is mostly "The Godfather" in a "much larger scale" and with more aspects in the form of an ancient Saga where the heroes are not just gifted individuals with a strong ego but also demi-gods. The rise of the heroes to the state of demi-gods makes possible to create a Saga-like masterpiece and to make a comparison between these demi-gods and the Leviathan of a contemporary State with the immense possibilities of its organizations and all! Some Force Users' skills permit a certain tragic rivalry between these individuals and the possibilities of the organized, nowadays societies... Almost omniscient demi-gods can try to compete with computers, networks and social organizations or even States!!...

Unfortunately Disney's Star Wars (unlike The Bible, Homer, Dante, Shakespeare, Beethoven, Coppola or Lucas) has almost nothing to say about real human beings,
Or it had nothing so far to say about human beings and their tragedies...

Rey's upbringing has to do with the unified Sides of the Force, in fact the Force -as a whole- had become Rey's actual family for very obvious reasons. Or Rey had some "memory wipe" like, say, Revan...
One way or another Rey's story and personality has too little to do with the story and personality of Coriolanus, Hamilcar Barca, Hannibal Barca and the Barca family, Vito Corleone, Michael Corleone and the Corleone family or Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker and the Skywalker family...

Kylo Ren is a demi-god who has chosen to go after visions and dreams of omnipotence or he is after a delusion of grandeur. Like, say, Alexander the Great... Well, such a demi-god is capable to go after such visions and "delusions" without effectively being a psychotic!... After all, all these visions and quests seem to be -in principle- within his power... Snoke (so far) has been without any background and all, unlike Palpatine who i) had invented an ingenious path to power and in order to achieve this very goal ii) had exploited (and revealed) dangerous real weaknesses of the Republic!...
Regarding Valcorion, Darth Sidious and Snoke I tend to remember that "Some are born great, some achieve greatness ... and some have greatness thrown upon them"!!...

Judge for yourselves what Rey, Kylo Ren and Snoke have to do with real human beings...
Add to all that the effort of Disney's directors to address the fan-base of X-Men and the audience of Avatar...

Of course it's true that I deliberately had watched TFA three times and I have watched TLJ four times! How so? Perhaps it's seductive, perhaps SW is addictive for me ... or there is some charm inherent in these movies.
But they still are very successful action movies, nothing more!

Disney would answer that it had to make use of the current SW momentum in order to "break even" because there is an investment of more than three billion dollars! And it's not a wise policy to present the heavy artillery at the first battles of some ambitious campaign and such...

I respect all these arguments and other arguments similar to these, regarding target marketing and all.

And I hope that we may watch in the future some masterpieces like The Empire strikes back (a too great hope) or The Attack of the Clones, The Phantom Menace or The Revenge of the Sith, the so-called prequels that are underestimated by a superficial and naive part of the SW fan-base.
I firmly believe that these expectations aren't too great but I don't know if Disney's Lucas Arts would have something to do with their fulfillment ... though it should. Of course it should but I don't know if it could...

However the very foundation of this optimism is the delivery of such masterpieces within the SW universe as:
i) SW:KotOR2; TSL, an unfinished but real masterpiece and
ii) SW:TOR; BotE, a real masterpiece in the form of a comic!!

Even SW:KotOR was much more interesting and immersive than TFA or TLJ, in fact it is a real work of art. TFA and TLJ are just products of entertainers, targeting to break even an investment; just staff for kids (like a part of myself!...) and a naive fan-base, nothing more. On the contrary SW:TOR;KotFE and SW:TOR;KotET are real works of art and this "imago" of a Wannabe God Valcorion was able to tell us that there is neither morality nor even crime (and perhaps sin) regarding individuals of such power; after all how many of us wouldn't absorb all life from a World in order to become immortal?!? That demonstrates clearly the dangerous part of our very nature!! That's something!...