Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

initially we considered allowing players to transfer to any server they wished, or to a variety of different servers. However, on a massive scale, this free-for-all approach causes potential problems. Players who are anxious to ensure they end up on a heavily populated server will naturally flock to what is perceived as the 'biggest' server, potentially over-populating that server. This eventually leads to the exact situation we're trying to move away from. Our aim is to maximize server population across the entire service and to enhance the gameplay experience for our players.

Therefore, we made the decision to strictly limit the initial phase of the character transfer service to only allow transfers from selected groups of origin servers (where you're moving a character from) to selected individual destination servers (where you choose to move a character to) based on the player populations of the origin and destination servers. In some cases, a large number of origin servers will be eligible to move to a single destination server. In others, very few origin servers will be transferring to existing high population destination servers. Remember, the goal here is to push almost every destination server to an active population that's higher.

This process will be gradual and staged over time. Despite huge improvements being made to the character transfer service by our server team, there are millions of characters to be moved and there is a limit to how many can be moved daily. We want your character to be transferred as quickly as possible, but we will need you to be patient as the process completes. Once your transfer starts we estimate it will complete in a few hours, but with the potential volume of transfers occurring, you may find your character is queued for transfer for a while as we deal with the high volume.

learn to read

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so do you wanna play you character for 3 days and see if your server shows up OR better yet you end up a destination server OR have your character in limbo for 3 days?

Its irrelevant, there is no one on my server, he's been in limbo for 2 months.

I'm done with this conversation. Keep trolling somewhere else.

The past speaks for it's self. Documented History. Take off your blinders. EA is the death of an MMO. They don't care they made their money. Off to milk the next property. :mad:

I'm still giving BW the benefit of the doubt that they are doing this correctly and will offer more servers sooner rather than later (ie hours and days, not weeks) as I am on a server (Kinrath Spider) that typically has single digit populations on the fleet (rep and imp).

Where they have let us down is in the expectations set. They should have given us a better idea on how they would implement this so thousands of people didn't log on this morning FULLY expecting to be able to xfer. I know I would have been fine today if last week they had said "We will initially open up a very few select servers to xfer to specific servers (could be as few as 4 NA / 6 Europe). Over the following days we will continue to add servers to this list...." ect...

I'm not giving up on this game as it truly is extremely fun, but I am disappointed in BW's expectation management and sincerely hope they'll learn from this as so many subscriptions were hanging by a thread prior to this latest 'slip'.

Seems like a good moment to lobby for Destination status for Dreshdae Cantina as we were not included in this initial wave of trasnfers. No QQ here, I'm being patient.- BW give those of us on DC a cookie for playing nice in the sandbox! :D

How are you guys interpreting this as a let down? I was surprised not to hear more from BW about the xfers earlier this week, and yes the lack of knowledge was annoying. But these guys are doing exactly what they said. transfers START today. All you nerd rage-aholics were complaining 45 minutes after they rolled this out.

Need I remind you that this is a MASSIVE multi-player online game? despite popular belief there are more than 45 people playing this game. BW has to move hundreds of thousands of accounts and if they did it all at once you would still be waiting forever, it would just be a bigger shiz show than it already is. so cool your jets and give it a day or two.

I am so tired of the forum people not having a mode between satisfied and on the brink of murder/suicide. Can't you be mildly annoyed, or somewhat dissapointed without declaring the end of the goddam world?

If you play on Naddist Rebels. I played a few days during peek at 50. The que's for wz's where absurd. So it feels like there are 16-20 players on that server. Cause its the same 50's. Everyday. holding out. Waiting. So I am pushing on their behalf to get a good home, because they are all pretty cool. Good PvPers who deserve a server that literally in 3 days of queueing at peak with them had 1 imperial match.

I think it would be nice if BW gave us at least a general sense of what their target timeline for this is. They can leave themselves plenty of wiggle room. If they told us "we are aiming for 3 to 7 days, or 3 to 7 weeks, or 3 to 7 months" to complete the roll out of the transfers we'd at least have a clue on what to expect.

Seems like a good moment to lobby for Destination status for Dreshdae Cantina as we were not included in this initial wave of trasnfers. No QQ here, I'm being patient.- BW give those of us on DC a cookie for playing nice in the sandbox! :D

Every server is like yours, asking for them to open your particular server for transfers accomplishes nothing.

IS this game that dead that we are going to become like WAR?

Are we really going down to one or two of each type of server in NA?

Is this game THAT dead? EA the MMO killer. :mad:

it's hard to say YES, it really is, simply because of the sheer volume of servers.

The sheer volume of servers they have out there now could support 400k concurrent connections.

That would imply there was about 4 mil people subbed.

Bioware expanded servers way, way too fast. The problem's always the release, the one month where everyone wants to play at once. This issue happens with EVERY MMO that ever releases. IN one sense, Bioware should have predicted this ahead of time - they failed on this.

This game, if it has 100k concurrent logging in during primetime, honestly needed 40 servers total. Not 200.

Even if we assume this game had more then 2 million active subs early on, that still amounts to about 80 servers worldwide.

Edited by islander

my only real concern is I have a lvl 41 jedi on JC, a stranded 29 BH on another, I would like to get them together on same server,I can see the case where JC goes to server X and my other goes to server Y

get the BH to a populated server, level him & wait for paid transfers :)

this right here is probably the absolute worst idea:

For guild members and masters, you will not be able to transfer your guild as a whole to your new server; instead you will need to reform it.

it is already extremely hard on a guild when doing a server transfer. an average size guild will lose at least 10% of its active members no matter what during a server switch, now needing to completely reform the guild, thats a really big issue, and lets hope the guild name wasnt taken on the new server.

they definitely need to implement a guild transfer function like Rift had, at least when there servers were dying the transfer system worked flawlessly and allowed guilds to be transferred as well as a the guild bank(which was tied to the guild leader) and it was all done at the character select screen not through the account section. honestly i hope that this gets improved as id like to see the over all health of the servers go up with minimal impact on players

I have a plea to Bioware to please not forget about the RP servers. I love my server The Ebonhawk and would love to be a destination server, but as one of the highest pop RP server we still probably don't have enough people to support both reg and a rated queue. I know other servers are of more concern because they can't get a queue to pop at all, while we generally have 1 to 2 matches going at a time. This makes me concerned for the lower pop RP who might not be so lucky.

So while I understand I must be patient and wait for more higher priority servers, please don't forget about your RP servers Bioware. I would love to see some new faces on the Ebonhawk.

No they are not. They are excluding EU RP-PvP.

think you got it wrong..you can move to another RP - PvP servers

as it states in the FAQ :-

Can I transfer my character from a PvE server to a PvP server, or vice versa?

At this time, as part of the initial Character Transfer Service, you will only be able to transfer characters between selected servers of the same server type. Effectively this means transfers will be allowed as follows:

Between eligible PvE origin servers and eligible PvE destination servers

Between eligible PvP origin servers and eligible PvP destination servers

Between eligible RP PvE origin servers and eligible RP PvE destination servers

Between eligible RP PvP origin servers and eligible RP PvP destination servers

Transfers will also respect the official server language, ensuring those players who are playing in French and German will continue to experience their server in their chosen language.

Edit

If your on the EU side then your knackered as there is only 1 which I hope BW will give some sort of exemption to

:)

Edited by Avorniel

If you play on Naddist Rebels. I played a few days during peek at 50. The que's for wz's where absurd. So it feels like there are 16-20 players on that server. Cause its the same 50's. Everyday. holding out. Waiting. So I am pushing on their behalf to get a good home, because they are all pretty cool. Good PvPers who deserve a server that literally in 3 days of queueing at peak with them had 1 imperial match.

You are pointing out the problem that they are literally fixing as we speak. Believe it or not your situation is not special. This thread is full of people thinking they are the only ones that can't currently PvP. Again I am not happy with the way things are, but I am not going to piss and moan when the fact that they are changing to fix the problem right now.

I wish I lived in a magical place where this was never an issue but the fact is that server transfers are not magical, they are in fact so complicated that BW isn't even trying to deal with guilds. What about all of this makes everyone think that it should be an instant transfer for everyone?

Your account...

...must have an active subscription or game time remaining.

Source?

Because on the post it says:

To qualify for a free character transfer from a low population sever to a high population server, a player must have a character on one of the selected origin servers and must meet the following requirements:

•A player’s account cannot be in a banned status.

•The character being transferred cannot be a guild master; they must either resign as master or demote themselves to a lower guild rank to be transferred. (Guild rankings and status will not be transferred.)

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst