Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.

Well said, and I also totally agree!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That WAS a good part of SWG. The crafting system was second to none, and I did like that I had a house that was a physical object in the game (not an instance). However, it didn't make up for the fact that there was zero endgame. SWTOR has Operations that are fun and challenging (for my guild anyway).

The I would be ok with the crafting of vanity items, and some form of player housing (the ship doesn't really cut it, unless they really let you modify the inside). Even as a master Armormech, I don't know if I want the BoS gear to be player made. Looting gear in a raid feel more rewarding than purchasing it on the GTN.

agreed...im glad someone else remembers that...that was a really fun part of that game for more...loot in general...they had some great ideas...yeah...i understand they cant added housing to the game...i'd prolly be ok with bigger ship and the ability REALLY customize it. i just get frustrated at games these days...everyone is the same...doesnt feel like the options are there anymore.

TOR has certainly had it's difficulties and challenges during it's first 8 months on the market, but I believe that this is the very best way to adjust, and particularly in view of the competition that will make its way onto the MMO scene within the next several months (or, in the case of, say, Guild Wars 2, weeks.)

The barrier for entry is completely lifted, and more gameplay options are almost always a good thing. People who are on the fence about trying the game now have nothing to lose if it turns out that they don't like it. On the other hand, if they're enjoying themselves, then they can sub for $15 a month, or make other monetary transactions as they see fit.

It all sounds like a win/win situation to me.

This is the fall of a great game. every f2p has gone crap. I waited 2.5 years for this game and now this. maybe its time to find a new game.

like what :(

what the heck is out there anymore...why cant there just be a living star wars game...why...why...yeah im being mr. the glass is half empty right now...but i cant help it

YAY,

This works a treat for me, I just re-subbed and play casual.... I won't hit 50 in awhile so the free to play will last me for ages until I hit content that needs to be paid for.

God knows why anyone would pay to play with what is on offer for free...... maybe until an expansion is released for more levels etc.....

It's madness to ask for a sub at the same price when offering 95% of the game for free.... the sub should be havled and anyone in disagreement just have more money than sense.

Anyway.. saving myself some BLING BLING! FREEBIE to add to the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do feel a little hurt though, a game I quit and then re-joined and finally love will be tarnished by froobs|!!!

How much $ is 2000 cartel coins going to cost a f2p player?

How many cartel coins is it going to cost to get my sentinel in a non-brownish, hood-down robe with a non-exploding butt?

How are we going to get more content faster with fewer and fewer programmers working on the game?

mmm 150 cartel points and 200 cartel points. Think that is not much for any months of subscription cards

And also the 50 euro for the game.

Think a bigger deal must be made. Maybe more ingame credits and stuff/goodies (mounts/gear/Pets).

God knows why anyone would pay to play with what is on offer for free...... maybe until an expansion is released for more levels etc.....

They have already announced a level cap increase. Since F2P is arriving in November, I wouldn't be surprised if the level cap increase arrived on or before the F2P switch. So, right from the beginning, you will likely not be able to hit max level with a free account.

Also, if you don't continue subbing, you are likely going to have a credit cap, lose bank/inventory slots, and won't be able to post anywhere near as much on the GTN.

If you JUST want to experience the 1-50 story, then F2P is going to be a good option for you. If you want to raid when you hit 50, you will HAVE to sub.

Edited by PlayLoud

I am very disappointed to see this game go F2P and having a cash shop. I truly hate cash shops with a burning passion, especially exp boosts and the like. I believe exp boost are as mush pay to win as selling over powered gear.

I will defiantly quit playing this game because of this. It's a really good game but I draw the line at cash shops. So... may all of you and your children who decided to introduce cash shops to this game be cursed threefold for all eternity.

Just to add I paid for 2x copies (one me and one for wife) @ £40 pounds each + a few months sub and contine to do so myself.

So £80 for the games + subs and this only a few months ago. Now game is entirely free and play for free in Novemeber. So what have I paid for, surely something is not right but being British consumers we lay down and take this rubbish

It's a joke, basicly we deserve more than cartel coins added per month subbed. How about a refund on the game purchase?!?!?!?!?

The people that are saying they love the idea and people won't quit over it going F2P haven't been in this boat before.

I just came to this game from EQ2 and when they announced they were going to F2P the thread on EQ2's official site reads almost identical to this one.

You will see what F2P does to the game when bugs go unfixed, content comes out at a snails pace but you see multiple items come out every week in the "store". :mad: Been there done that.

You will also see all the armor/weapon models will have terrible looks and the nice looking items will only be able to be bought from the "store".

Then non fluff items will start trickling into the "store" like experience. potions, full rested exp restore potions, mounts with stats and higher speeds, etc.

Mark my words. Nothing good can come from going F2P.

This is the fall of a great game. every f2p has gone crap. I waited 2.5 years for this game and now this. maybe its time to find a new game.

It hasn't necessarily been all doom and gloom for other games that have gone F2P. In fact, some have at least arguably done better afterwards compared to when they were on a subscription only model (LOTRO, Dungeons and Dragons Online, and Star Trek Online immediately come to my mind).

As I mentioned in my previous post, with more gameplay options, it's hard to go wrong. If you want to try the game, fine, because you don't have to pay for it. If you're really into it, then you'll have no problem justifying the $15 a month it takes to play with all the perks. Or, you can play, and pay for additional content whenever you want to, instead of absolutely having to fork over the total subscription fee amount at a certain time every month (or, in the case of those who don't have/don't wish to use a debit or credit card, purchase additional time using a game card) so as to continue. It's no longer simply all or nothing.

The people that are saying they love the idea and people won't quit over it going F2P haven't been in this boat before.

I just came to this game from EQ2 and when they announced they were going to F2P the thread on EQ2's official site reads almost identical to this one.

You will see what F2P does to the game when bugs go unfixed, content comes out at a snails pace but you see multiple items come out every week in the "store". :mad: Been there done that.

You will also see all the armor/weapon models will have terrible looks and the nice looking items will only be able to be bought from the "store".

Then non fluff items will start trickling into the "store" like experience. potions, full rested exp restore potions, mounts with stats and higher speeds, etc.

Mark my words. Nothing good can come from going F2P.

Having been through this twice before (LOTRO and EQ2) I can honestly say that I still think this is a better path to go down. SOEs treatment of F2P has been bad, but LOTRO's F2P model enhanced the game, and continues to do so.

A brave decision Bio/EA, but one which will undoubtedly increase the longevity of the game, and the quality, and range, of options available to us. I, for one, will continue with the subscription until such time as I am bored, which is unlikely to be any time soon.

Please put the F2P people on their own servers and not ours thank you very much!

We're in the First Class section and we would like that curtain closed please...

Except that you'll be the ones in Coach and the cash shop will be getting all the cabin attendants' attention... :rolleyes:

I think its a good idea and it was not a surprise to me at all that F2P has been implemented.

For all the wingers, stick to your word and pack it up !, what do you offer to the community bar your negativity ?.

I really enjoy the game, Im in a great guild with alot of folks whom have become good RL mates (regular meet ups / dinners / drinking sessions XD). I will be continuing my sub and having fun with my mates as per usual. Some new blood floating around wont change this and lets face it, will be a good thing !.

oh muh gosh!

I've been playing since launch and this is the first time I've been displeased with the newz.

I'm new to online gaming and have always been a fan of BBY era (mostly dark horse comics and some novels cannon and non-cannon). It was a SW:TOR trailer which I saw about a year before launch that pulled me in. At the time I had no idea how to play an MMO! I started playing F2P MMOs so that when SW:TOR came out I would be READY!

For me there was a noticeable difference in the community (i have lvl 50 Pub and Imp on both an RP-PVE and a PVP server). I eventually came to believe that it was the :csw_c3po: anthropological :csw_c3po: difference between people who WON'T or CAN'T pay vs. people who CAN and WILL pay subscriptions.

Or maybe it was just the younglings on those F2P games that was the issue? And maybe even some unemployed scumbag free loaders too? Well, those younglings will be back in my life again and Bioware, you're not going to be able to keep up with their TOS breaking shenanigans.

I don't know why I even voice my opinions. There's nothing that can or could have been done to stop or change this.

I would recommend maybe not allowing F2P members the use of /general chat until a certain level?

Maybe only let them play in the "origin servers" and then offer them the free character transfers into the "destination server" when they reach 50?

Create some kind of restriction that prevents the buying and selling of "cash shop" items between F2P and P2P members for credits? (THINK OF THE ECONOMY!!!).

etc... This is just me. I read through the threads and I hear what you all say. I look forward to the good and cringe towards the bad. I LOVE this game and I don't want that to change.

May the Force be with us. May the Force be with us all.

Please put the F2P people on their own servers and not ours thank you very much!

We're in the First Class section and we would like that curtain closed please...

If they do this im quiting and i sure good number of paying members will as well.

Just to add I paid for 2x copies (one me and one for wife) @ £40 pounds each + a few months sub and contine to do so myself.

So £80 for the games + subs and this only a few months ago. Now game is entirely free and play for free in Novemeber. So what have I paid for, surely something is not right but being British consumers we lay down and take this rubbish

It's a joke, basicly we deserve more than cartel coins added per month subbed. How about a refund on the game purchase?!?!?!?!?

You forget the first of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.

1. Once you have their money, you never give it back.

Edit: But seriously, this is a plan to make more money. They aren't going to give the sub money they have acquired already. That's not a sound business plan.

Edited by PlayLoud

Except that you'll be the ones in Coach and the cash shop will be getting all the cabin attendants' attention... :rolleyes:

LOL you're probably right about that. I'll stick around for now. If I notice a decline in the end game community I'll probably go back to WOW.

You forget the first of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.

1. Once you have their money, you never give it back.

Edit: But seriously, this is a plan to make more money. They aren't going to give the sub money they have acquired already. That's not a sound business plan.

Basically they are going F2P cuz they think their losing money so they want more people to play they havnt seem to figure out that they can GET MUCH MORE SUBSCRIBERS if they just FIXED THE GAME and LISTENED TO THEIR consumers but its more for the instant cash grab of were losing money make it f2p and focus only on making cash its sad that video game companies care so *********** little for the players and only about how much cash they can rake in. IF IT IS A GOOD GAME THE PEOPLE WILL PAY TO PLAY BUT IF YOU MAKE IT **** PEOPLE WILL BE HESITANT ON PAYING and then you get the f2p model to grab more payers cuz they dont want to work on the game

F2P…love it. I may be one of the few that do not enjoy pvp, wz, fp or ops. I pretty much like leveling, doing dailies, heroics and Role Playing. Now I can do that for FREE with F2P, unless I misread something. So Kudos Bio/EA, you saved me $15 a month!

However, I do see some issues that might occur with the new system.

1. If you limit or restrict the GTN to Suber's and not allow F2P members access to the GTN, then the F2P players will just spam the general chats to sell their stuff or to find stuff to buy. This will flood general chat or chat in general. Supply and Demand, they will find a way to sell their stuff and the general chat is going to be the medium of choice to advertise their products. Let the F2P players buy the Suber's stuff on GTN and save everyone the headache!

2. By limiting access, you are really only hurting those who are trying to find groups for FP, PVP and etc.

3. Trolling will be a major problem, so get ready for that.

Those are just some of the many problems I foresee coming because of F2P. Oh, when are you going to allow transfer (paid or free) to servers of our choosing?

:D