Problems at EA/BIOWare

Dannypb

On Origin.com

Standard Edition: $59.99** Includes Origin $5 Pre-Order Fee

From ordering standard edition:

Product SKU: 71074

Product Name: STAR WARS: The Old Republic Digital Standard Edition (Pre-Ordered)

Anticipated Released Date: Targeting Holiday 2011

Qty Ordered: 1

Amount: $54.99

Product SKU: 71065

Product Name: Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Digital Standard Edition Pre-Order Fee

Qty Ordered: 1

Amount: $5.00

SubTotal: $59.99

Shipping & Handling: $0.00

Tax: $3.60

Total: $63.59

Discount: $5.00

Note, charged $5 pre-order fee but given a $5 discount on standard edition. Also, site clearly says invites will be sent in waves based on purchase order (which sort of sucks if you bought the CE but did it late I guess)

So, personally, I'm getting what I expect to get. But then I wasn't no fancy VP of some bank.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I payed $25 for my early access then, because that was the pre-order fee for the collectors edition. Give it up people, you're getting worked up or a book keeping method.

you didn't PAY a pre-order fee. You deposited 25$ towards the game, giving more of a promise that if they order that collectors edition, you will pay for the full amount and not just collect the money back. Which you have the right to do! because a pre-order is not a purchase. If you got it from origin, you did not pay 75$ for the game and an extra 5$ for the pre-order. The game IS 80$ and the 5$ is only the PRE-ORDER deposit TOWARDS the game!

even if many pre-orders arent picked up. Most companies still make money off of them because either people never collect the money back or pick up the game. Also, the money sits in a bank collecting interest on their end. 5$x1million pre-orders? that could be a good chunk of change.

No, you did not.

You paid a $5 deposit to reserve a copy of the game for pre-order. Just like you do at any game store.

That $5 is deducted from the cost of the game that will be charged to you when the game goes live.

When I bought the game I paid 5 dollars AND the cost of the game. It wasnt deducted it was ADDED to the cost of the game.

you didn't PAY a pre-order fee. You deposited 25$ towards the game, giving more of a promise that if they order that collectors edition, you will pay for the full amount and not just collect the money back. Which you have the right to do! because a pre-order is not a purchase. If you got it from origin, you did not pay 75$ for the game and an extra 5$ for the pre-order. The game IS 80$ and the 5$ is only the PRE-ORDER deposit TOWARDS the game!

even if many pre-orders arent picked up. Most companies still make money off of them because either people never collect the money back or pick up the game. Also, the money sits in a bank collecting interest on their end. 5$x1million pre-orders? that could be a good chunk of change.

I know, I wasn't complaining, I was pointing out to these people freaking out over $5 that I payed 5x more than them for, what they say, is the same access time.

Welp, I got stuff to do, have fun ripping me fanboys, I'll talk to you later.

It was my honest feeling about they way they have done things. If you disagree, then do so, but being insulting just shows I'm right.

And the pre order fee is what they called it, sorry. It includes early access. Please read the cut and paste from their own website I posted twice, or go to store.origin.com yourself.

Not insulting, just hoping you understand you are wrong. Opinions can be very wrong, and often times are.

No, you did not.

You paid a $5 deposit to reserve a copy of the game for pre-order. Just like you do at any game store.

That $5 is deducted from the cost of the game that will be charged to you when the game goes live.

I just bought the game today and it clearly states

"EARLY GAME ACCESS" as a part of my preorder.

But maybe I'm dumb and need someone to spell it out for me

True, I didn't pay EXTRA for early game access. But, I DID pay for early game access by preordering.

Not sure where the problem here is in the end you would pay the same price regardless if you had preordered or not.

Lets assume you buy

STAR WARS™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ DIGITAL STANDARD EDITION

$59.99

RETAIL PRICE

Before the release date you would pay

$54.99 STAR WARS™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ DIGITAL STANDARD EDITION

$5.00 Pre Order Fee

$59.99 Total - Tax

On the release date or after you would pay

$59.99 STAR WARS™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ DIGITAL STANDARD EDITION

$59.99 Total - Tax

Same for all the other version of the game in the end you would pay the same as retail price regardless if you paid $5 upfront or not.

True, I didn't pay EXTRA for early game access. But, I DID pay for early game access by preordering.

it also says UP TO 5 DAYS early! and they started handing it out at 7 days early! And it has always said UP TO 5 days early, that has never changed. Never meant you got in asap. If you thought that, then that is your own fault for missing it. Everyone should be just happy they get in 1 day early. It's still better than all those who don't. Seeing how you just paid for the pre-order today? what took you so long? I wouldn't expect to get in but a few hours early.

Sorry, managed to quote from the wrong post here.

Edited by OdwinOddball

This has been building up. I really like the game, and I understand EA/Bioware has a good reputation. Which is one reason I really didn't expect the way they have handled testing and release. Whether it's testing access, or pre-order or early access or grace period, Bioware seems to do things in a way that causes the most grief for their customers. I give the following as a few examples:

1> The testing program was full of miscommunication and issues. Specifically you really didn't know when and where till it was happening. You could not look online and get specifics from their website until things were happening. It was not clear what testing they were talking about during most of the testing in their communication. It probably seemed clear to them, but not always to me. It wasn't completely bad, but the the way testing was handled raised a flag for me.

What was hard to understand? There was general testing, and there was weekend testing. They told you which you were in, if either. Wasn't hard for a lot of people to understand. BioWare's only issue was the drastic cut in how mnay beta weekends they were coming out with.

2> The pre ordering wasn't so bad, although you bought early access separately (at least I did digitally from origin) but it wasn't clear what you were getting. As far as I'm concerned, if I pay for early access, I get the full value of what I'm paying for. This left me feeling the Bioware just wants my money.

*** are you on about? Five bucks gets you your Early Access code. It's part of the game's cost. And, yes, it was very clear. You may play up to five days. Entrance into EA is based upon when you redeemed your code. Pretty much anyone with any sense knew that to be fact when pre-orders started.

3> Changing the early access day within a month of launch was bad.

Shocking, yes, but not bad. Now they have even greater leeway to work with. Am I biased because I got in the second wave of day one? Maybe.

I know it was earlier, but we are not all unemployed lazy people just sitting around at our PCs waiting to play.

I know a soldier in Qatar playing right now. Take that attitude, and shove it.

I know a lot of people who planned their vacation time accordingly and then plans changed. A lot of media outlets also had to change plans at the last minute. Then what was supposed to be a days notice that your in Early Access, became a, "we will tell you after we give you access" model.

They also said you can refresh your launcher. That's how I knew I got in, two hours before the email ever arrived.

You probably have half a million people sitting at home constantly checking emails wondering if they are in yet. Did you ever stop to consider the impact of your customers?

Just like lots of people did during beta.

This made me think that Bioware doesn't really care about me or any inconvenience to me.

To you? No, they don't care. They care about creating as smooth a launch as possible. Mission accomplished.

4> What is this grace period fiasco? Really, you said there would be a grace period. MMOs almost always have a grace period, due to the nature of things. You promise one and the you say no..... and now one of your presidents says maybe. Is Mickey Mouse running your company?

I agree, the Grace Period issue could have been handled much better.

Or are you just listening to some greedy accountants who can't bear the thought of someone playing for free for a week?

If you pre-ordered the game, you aren't playing for free. Unless you canceled your pre-order.

I feel like I have both been lied to and that Bioware doesn't care how I feel about anything.

The only real lie was Stephen Reid saying there would be a grace period, then saying that there wasn't going to be one, and that he never said there would be. And, no, BioWare doesn't care how you feel.

Look, I've just a programmer, although a good one.

Yeah, bull.

But I have also run a business for myself, been a retail manager, been a banking manager and vice president in a major world wide bank.

Mhmm.

I've been part of a lot of successful endeavors and companies. You do not stay successful by watching the bottom line at the expense of your customer, unless your a bottom feeder.

They extended Early Access to seven days, have been working their asses off ensure everything works, and are hammering out pretty much every issue as it arises. How are they bottom feeding? Oh, that's right. You couldn't be bothered to read beyond the bolded letters. If you were anything but a janitor, you would realize that the smaller print is usually the important stuff.

The secret to good business is good customer relations, and making it easy for your customers to do business with you is key to standing out in a competitive environment.

Every customer service issue I've had, with the exception of one, has been dealt with usually within 24 hours. Most times without me even needing to talk to an actual person. I've had nothing but good experiences with EA/BioWare's service teams.

The constant uncertainty you are creating with us customers is really ruining trust right from the start.

What uncertainty? All I'm hearing are ways in which you couldn't be bothered to take any personal responsibility. If the bull you're spewing about being a major banking VP is true, you're probably the reason for the bail-outs.

Please please please get your head together, be consistent and put your customers first. I really want to put you first, but I have to know it's not a one way street.

I don't even know what you're talking about...

Basically what I am asking is, don't be like Sony. They fail continually because they put the dollar first and their customer last. You guys seem to talk a good game, but talk is cheap.

So is reading the blatantly obvious stipulations pertaining to things like Early Access. Get over yourself.

Edited by Kaskava

Well, I hope your right, and I am not concerned with how they really are, I am concerned with the perception.

For a successful man you seem to misspell "your" so often.

It makes you look like a bit of a liar there :)

But still, valid points there and I agree.

Wow! This guy really knows how to put people to sleep. I fell asleep five times reading this.

Do you need some cheese with that whine?

They didn't have to give anyone beta access or early access. The fact they gave us two days more than what was listed for preorders is awesome of them.

When I purchased from Origin, I paid a $5.00 early access fee. Maybe you didn't, but I did.

This is a HUGE misconception. You did NOT pay for Early Game Access. You put a $5 downpayment for a pre-order for SWTOR. As a BONUS for pre-ordering, you get UP TO 7 days early game access BASED ON WHEN YOU REGISTER YOUR PRE-ORDER CODE! You also get a color crystal to modify your items, as well as additional in game content based on the version that you PRE-ORDERED.

All you did was put a down payment on a game that wasn't yet out, reserving your copy. Much like what you would do at a GameStop, Walmart, etc.

Can't say it enough. EGA is a BONUS! You didnt PAY for EGA. You PAID to reserve a copy of the game.

Damn! It's NOT a hard concept to grasp!

Yes, if you pre-order you got Early access, you did not pay extra for it, and it was not called an Early Access Fee like the OP was trying to say. You will pay the same price for the game on the 20th as you did to pre-order, thus you are not paying for early access.

You are getting it as a bonus for ordering early.

And its not like you are not getting early access. Frankly at the pace they went today I would expect most all pre-orders but those from the last few weeks should be in tomorrow, thus getting the up to 5 days that we were promised.

No one is getting screwed or mistreated in any way. Its just a lot of over-reaction from people who saw what they wanted to see and not what was actually there.

it also says UP TO 5 DAYS early! and they started handing it out at 7 days early! And it has always said UP TO 5 days early, that has never changed. Never meant you got in asap. If you thought that, then that is your own fault for missing it. Everyone should be just happy they get in 1 day early. It's still better than all those who don't. Seeing how you just paid for the pre-order today? what took you so long? I wouldn't expect to get in but a few hours early.

Up to =/= You Get

Letting in people by wave is dumb. They have of a list of pre order they should just open enough server for those people and lets us all in.

What are they going to do when 12-20 comes?

WHen there X number of player? they going to let people in by wave too ?

Greetings, all. We know that this is a subject everyone is wanting to discuss, and already have an existing discussion thread dedicated to talking about Early Game Access. If you'd like to share your thoughts, you'll find the thread here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=16764

We're going to close this thread and ask that this discussion continue in the existing thread, so we can keep the conversation a little better consolidated. Thank you!