Non-consumable items

RAVM

I levelled up Artifice and its supporting skills to 400 and use it mostly to create gear for my own character and companions, selling on the GTN is secondary. The problem is that everything I can make, I can get the same or equilivant item from the GTN, sometimes a lot faster and cheaper than reverse engineering and none of the hassle.

I'm seriously considering dropping it all and going Biochem for the re-usable stims which are the same as a permanent buff. Are there any plans Bioware has talked to let anyone use the re-usables?

Putting in re-usables like stims and adrenals that only Biochems can use is just utterly retarded.

armormech and is the same way

I leveled a biochem and an armormech thinking i could get a jump start on the rakata gear and the high end stims for my twinkies, yet i have come to find out i am stuck like M.F. Chuck as the rakata level implants on my biochem are all BOE and my rakata level armor on my armormech is all BOE as well

le /sigh

I can guarantee that BW will not make reusables usable by anyone without Biochem. I know this because it used to that way, and Bioware changed it. At first I agreed with you, but I now see why. It's because they wanted to stimulate the market by increasing demand. It used to be no one bought blues, only purples, and then no one bought anything because they all had purples. This way, there is a market AND crafters can focus on making them for others because they can use reusables themselves. It's quite elegant, actually, and it has greatly improved the market for Biochem crafters. Edited by Fozziwig

I can guarantee that BW will not make reusables usable by anyone without Biochem. I know this because it used to that way, and Bioware changed it. At first I agreed with you, but I now see why. It's because they wanted to stimulate the market by increasing demand. It used to be no one bought blues, only purples, and then no one bought anything because they all had purples. This way, there is a market AND crafters can focus on making them for others because they can use reusables themselves. It's quite elegant, actually, and it has greatly improved the market for Biochem crafters.

It isnt elegant. You have 2 professions that can make unlimited use end game combat useful items. But you have to be that profession to use it. I will not take a new toon anything other than biochem...the rakata stim, meds, and adrenals (even just pve) are too big a deal. If everyone is biochem, then who is biochem going to sell ANYTHING to??? I have a MUCH better idea:

Biochem has the unlimited stims, medpacks and adrenals that req Bio 400. Cybertech has grenades...again Cybertech 400. Synthweaving and Artifice have no such things. I can make relics, but they are not better than some other available relics, and relics are already infinite use.

Having infinite use "consumables", for only a few crafts, that give COMBAT advantage is horrific design. This has been talked about quite a bit...

I hate nerfs, so my proposal is to change the requirement for say Rakata stims to CRAFT(400) instead of Bio (400). Same with grenades, same with anything else that is similar (sorry, I have 400 cyber, 400 bio, 400 synth, 400 artifice, but Im not fully aware of armstech and armortech).

CRAFT(400) simply means that once you hit 400 in ANY craft, you would be eligible to use things like the rakata stims, or grenades, or whatever. The beauty of this solution is that now, you dont have to let endgame dictate your craft...you can do artifice without feeling like an idiot everytime your grp members load up with infinite use rakata stims, heals, and adrenals. You still have to master A craft, but it can be ANY craft. So the incentive is still there to master your craft, and now there is incentive to really do the one that interests you, as opposed to biochem. I would rather see this happen than biochem get nerfed. Open it up. Then, the next step, if BW still doesnt like them is to give them 100 uses or 250. Not infinite, but certainly worth the mats...THIS will also open up the market to new sales for biochem and cyber, instead of driving people to pick bio or cyber themselves, thus reducing sells for those profs.

Thoughts? Having people get to 400 in artifice, curse their choice and BW for their design, then regrind to biochem, just is not an elegant way to go...

tl;dr - Remove specific restriction from crew skills, like Bio 400 on rakata stims. Replace them with a more generic CRAFT 400 so anyone that masters a crew skill can use the highend items from any other...this will promote diversity and restore personal choice to the system, where now it is dictated by endgame usefulness and utility. It will also open up the market for new sales for these skills, instead of coercing players to pick these skills themselves.

Edited by Dyvim

• 3 weeks later...

After spending a good bit of time reverse engineering to get some reusable stims for one of my lower level characters I discoved he can't use them because he doesn't have biochem! I really feel like this limits the usefulness of biochem. It essentially means the skill is only convenient for one character. I realize I can make the consumables and them mail them to alts but that is a pain. As far as the GTN goes, I've had no luck selling stims. Maybe the price is just to high, but I figure people would probably find it just as easy to pay whatever the med droid wants than look it up on the GTN.

I agree with the OP I'd love to see it where other non biochem characters could use the reusables. Maybe they could make it a legacy thing so at least your own alts could benefit from it.

Bind on Legacy instead of the Bind in Pickup or crafting requirements is still the best solution for me, that way you actually had to go through the work of levling the craft, but can use its benefits on all your toons. As you wouldn't buy stims or such from gtn anyways, because you could craft them cheaper and send them over, it has no impact on the market.

EDIT: stated it here already as a legacy unlock: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=503269&page=7

BoL crafts are worth fighting for!

Edited by Adnidireilasar

not forget that now armormechs, armstechs and synthweavers can craft augments that worth A LOT, and always will be demand for those, while Biochems still got their reusables.

as for the artifice, cant say if youre right or wrong cuz i dont know anything

• 1 year later...
I can guarantee that BW will not make reusables usable by anyone without Biochem. I know this because it used to that way, and Bioware changed it. At first I agreed with you, but I now see why. It's because they wanted to stimulate the market by increasing demand. It used to be no one bought blues, only purples, and then no one bought anything because they all had purples. This way, there is a market AND crafters can focus on making them for others because they can use reusables themselves. It's quite elegant, actually, and it has greatly improved the market for Biochem crafters.

That's a good point of view, not being able to sell your reusables on the GTN thus creating a bigger market for the crafters or people would've to level Biochem for themselves. But im stuck somewhere, why level Biochem, craft all of your greens into blues and craft all of those into purples, just to be using them on one character. GREAT! A Trooper with a reusable Willpower stim. So might it not be a good idea to make those reusables ''Bound to Legacy'', so we can put those to good use on our alts and still have the same ideals.

I levelled up Artifice and its supporting skills to 400 and use it mostly to create gear for my own character and companions, selling on the GTN is secondary. The problem is that everything I can make, I can get the same or equilivant item from the GTN, sometimes a lot faster and cheaper than reverse engineering and none of the hassle.

I'm seriously considering dropping it all and going Biochem for the re-usable stims which are the same as a permanent buff. Are there any plans Bioware has talked to let anyone use the re-usables?

Putting in re-usables like stims and adrenals that only Biochems can use is just utterly retarded.

Artifice middle game is good for high power or tanking enhancements, also might/resolve hilts (depends on gaps in comm vendors).

Bio is good for reusables and implants.

On tank I would take Bio ... but I have all of them already, so I could just make my tanks biochemists.

I hate Biochem. Biochem has locked me into the profession I can't leave or I lose my reusables. Implants don't make money no one buys them off the GTN, Stims and Adrenals are getting so cheap on the GTN that it is now more expensive to craft them then what you get back from the GTN. Mats from Bioanalysis and Diplomacy rarely sell on the GTN, because any Biochem has a stock pile of them in their Inventory.

What I would like to see happen (I know it won't happen), but if you max out a crafting skill any reusables you create are bound on creation to that character who crafted them and after that character has them they can either stay in the profession or move onto another one without losing the ability to use the reusables they made.

This would allow people that hate their profession (Like this Biochemist) and try something else out they would like to get into. I know eventually they will increase the crafting cap to like 500 or something with new reusables. Well then if you are no longer in the profession you will have to relearn the profession to get the better reusables. This would keep people switching up on their professions and I believe would stimulate the dying economy (Well on Ebon Hawk).

I hate Biochem. Biochem has locked me into the profession I can't leave or I lose my reusables. Implants don't make money no one buys them off the GTN, Stims and Adrenals are getting so cheap on the GTN that it is now more expensive to craft them then what you get back from the GTN. Mats from Bioanalysis and Diplomacy rarely sell on the GTN, because any Biochem has a stock pile of them in their Inventory.

What I would like to see happen (I know it won't happen), but if you max out a crafting skill any reusables you create are bound on creation to that character who crafted them and after that character has them they can either stay in the profession or move onto another one without losing the ability to use the reusables they made.

This would allow people that hate their profession (Like this Biochemist) and try something else out they would like to get into. I know eventually they will increase the crafting cap to like 500 or something with new reusables. Well then if you are no longer in the profession you will have to relearn the profession to get the better reusables. This would keep people switching up on their professions and I believe would stimulate the dying economy (Well on Ebon Hawk).

This is the main reason they wouldn't do it... everyone will trow some credits to get Bio to 450, make bound reusables then drop it & take their old or other skill.

This is the main reason they wouldn't do it... everyone will trow some credits to get Bio to 450, make bound reusables then drop it & take their old or other skill.

How is that a bad thing? It's already a useless profession (Except the reusables.), unless you want to gamble at reverse engineering Underworld implants, which people really don't buy.

Edited by MJayMo

How is that a bad thing? It's already a useless profession (Except the reusables.), unless you want to gamble at reverse engineering Underworld implants, which people really don't buy.

How it is different from removing reusables restrictions at all?

Time/credit sink... not so big deal.

How it is different from removing reusables restrictions at all?

Time/credit sink... not so big deal.

I'm done, this agreement is pointless, It's not like their going change it either way, their not going to change anything into our favor. They want you to level multiple characters, the more characters you have the more active you will be and the more likely you are to spend real money on this MMO. The easier they make it for people to get stuff the shorter you will play and/or likely to move onto another MMO.

Having infinite use "consumables", for only a few crafts, that give COMBAT advantage is horrific design. This has been talked about quite a bit...

Idea 1 - Remove specific restriction from crew skills, like Bio 400 on rakata stims. Replace them with a more generic CRAFT 400 so anyone that masters a crew skill can use the high end items from any other...this will promote diversity and restore personal choice to the system. It will also open up the market for new sales for these skills.

Idea 2 - is to give items 100 uses or 250 uses. Not infinite, but certainly worth the mats...THIS will also open up the market to new sales for biochem and cyber.

both ideas have merit though I think idea 1 has the same end game problem in that once you have the infinite use item there's no need to buy it again thus depressing the end game crafting market ( a long term result of infinite use items ).

Idea 2 is a great idea and the one that seems to solve the problem. 250 uses and not bound to a specific craft would open up the items to every class, allow everyone to have the same combat advantage and bolster the end game crafting market.

the obvious draw back is these 'high use' items would be controlled by just 2 crafting professions. an unfair advantage for Bio and Cyber. the only solution I can see is adding at least 1 high use item to each of the crafting professions. what these items might be...? I have no idea.

other than leaving things the way they are, the suggestions Dyvim make are the best I've seen so far.

(apologies for the edit Dyvim, I wanted to drill down to your core suggestions) - :)