Force question

maninuniform

Was Yoda the most powerful Jedi ever? If not then who?

Now I'm actually asking this in hopes that fanboys attack because this game has made me wanna learn more about SW Lore. My friend and I always debate about Dark Side vs Light being stronger. My reason for saying Dark (no im not a dark side bandwaggoner, my favorite character is Yoda) is stronger is because they are willing to go farther to get what they want. Kinda like in "Wanted" where the bad guys got together and got organized and beat the heroes. The reason I say they lose is not because they are weaker but because they are greedy and self destructive. Also I fouond out later on that Lucas was quoted in the commentary of "A new hope" saying the dark side is stronger.

But Darth Vader had more of the things in his body that tell about the Force then Yoda.

That doesn't mean he was the most powerful, he had the potential to be but he never reached it. If he had then yes, he would have been the most powerful but he didn't so it goes to Yoda and then Luke.

"Most powerful" is all a matter of perspective, and in many respects does not exist.

Mace Windu is widely regarded as the most lethal lightsaber duelist the Order ever produced. Is he the "most powerful?"

Yoda is widely regarded as the wisest and most educated of the Order. Does that make him the "most powerful?"

Anakin Skywalker was the Chosen One, destined to bring balance to the Force. Does that make him the "most powerful?"

Obi-Wan Kenobi was one of the Council's leading Masters and the only one deemed able to defeat General Grievous. Does that make him the "most powerful?"

Qui-Gon Jinn transcended upon death and became one with the Force, yet still retained identity and consciousness, and passed this technique on to Yoda and Obi-Wan. Does that make him the "most powerful?"

The Sith fail because they buy into the concept of "most powerful," always seeking more and more power for themselves and the cost of pretty much everything else. But ultimately, that power is false, empty useless, and will probably only get them killed.

Power is not the end goal of the Force. Knowledge is.

"Most powerful" is all a matter of perspective, and in many respects does not exist.

Mace Windu is widely regarded as the most lethal lightsaber duelist the Order ever produced. Is he the "most powerful?"

Yoda is widely regarded as the wisest and most educated of the Order. Does that make him the "most powerful?"

Anakin Skywalker was the Chosen One, destined to bring balance to the Force. Does that make him the "most powerful?"

Obi-Wan Kenobi was one of the Council's leading Masters and the only one deemed able to defeat General Grievous. Does that make him the "most powerful?"

Qui-Gon Jinn transcended upon death and became one with the Force, yet still retained identity and consciousness, and passed this technique on to Yoda and Obi-Wan. Does that make him the "most powerful?"

The Sith fail because they buy into the concept of "most powerful," always seeking more and more power for themselves and the cost of pretty much everything else. But ultimately, that power is false, empty useless, and will probably only get them killed.

Which Yoda had, he had 900 years worth of knowledge and was a swordmaster. Its been stated in the ROTS novelization(think that it was that book), that Yoda was the most powerful jedi during that time but not even he could beat Sidious.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Overall, yes. Yoda is regarded as the most powerful Jedi. He has an extremely high midi-chlorian count, excellent in lightsaber combat, and is able to use the force in ways that no one else has ever been able to. He's just well balanced honestly. Now, Mace Windu is the most powerful Jedi in terms of saber combat. He is the only Jedi to master the 7th form of saber combat (Vaapad) where most people use the 3rd. As far as the highest midi-chlorian count, that belonged to Anakin/Darth Vader.

Thank you for your post. finaly some sense.

Which Yoda had, he had 900 years worth of knowledge and was a swordmaster. Its been stated in the ROTS novelization(think that it was that book), that Yoda was the most powerful jedi during that time but not even he could beat Sidious.

Yes, and yet a 24 year old, half-trained "padawan" brought down Vader and the Emperor.

Power isn't what it's all about. Power is the LEAST of what it's all about.

what ever happened to the sith emporer? wasnt he supposed to be immortal from absorbing an nentire planet? where the hell was he during episodes 1-6?

Immortallity is simply infinite longevity, not invulnerability. An immortal can be killed, but cannot die from old age. depending on the definition you choose to follow. Like the Elves in Lord of the Rings.

The biggest problem is that few have ever had the self-discipline to walk the thin line between the dark and light. If the Force encompasses both ends of the spectrum then the most powerful must be able to maintain his morality while accessing the dark powers of the Force. Unfortunately I know of no one who has been able to walk that path consistently throughout their lives. The Force itself has manifested itself in Jacen Solo at one time because he found that perfect balance, but it also doomed him to the dark side because he began to think that he was above good and evil. the whole thing is an impossible riddle unless you consider the cycle of power. First the dark side rises then the light triumphs but the dark rises again. It never ends because no one has that balance.

Yes, and yet a 24 year old, half-trained "padawan" brought down Vader and the Emperor.

Power isn't what it's all about. Power is the LEAST of what it's all about.

Ya Luke wasn't a padawan, he was a jedi knight in ROTJ. I never did say power did I? No, what I said is that Yoda before Luke was the most powerful jedi then Luke was. Or best jedi, since you think I am just talking about power.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Master swordsmen throughout history have lost to amateurs, since the amateur hasn't learned what's supposed to be possible or impossible. They just attack, block instinctively, and use their wits since they haven't been fully trained. Luke wasn't nearly fully trained when he fought Vader either time. Yet still held his own (Mostly due to the fact that Vader didn't want to kill him.)

Palpatine was technically an amateur compared to Yoda as well. Yoda, with over 800 years of sword mastery under his belt, got beat by Palpatine. How? Was Palpatine THAT much stronger in the Force than Yoda???? Or did he use his wits to counter everything the wily little Master could throw at him?

On a side note, STILL love the look on Yoda's face when he started that platform spinning before tossing it at Palpatine in Episode III. The look that said "You're goin' down, boy!" :D

Ya Luke wasn't a padawan, he was a jedi knight in ROTJ. I never did say power did I? No, what I said is that Yoda before Luke was the most powerful jedi then Luke was. Or best jedi, since you think I am just talking about power.

Luke: So I am a Jedi

Yoda: (laughing) No. One thing remains. Vader. You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be.

Master swordsmen throughout history have lost to amateurs, since the amateur hasn't learned what's supposed to be possible or impossible. They just attack, block instinctively, and use their wits since they haven't been fully trained. Luke wasn't nearly fully trained when he fought Vader either time. Yet still held his own (Mostly due to the fact that Vader didn't want to kill him.)

Palpatine was technically an amateur compared to Yoda as well. Yoda, with over 800 years of sword mastery under his belt, got beat by Palpatine. How? Was Palpatine THAT much stronger in the Force than Yoda???? Or did he use his wits to counter everything the wily little Master could throw at him?

On a side note, STILL love the look on Yoda's face when he started that platform spinning before tossing it at Palpatine in Episode III. The look that said "You're goin' down, boy!" :D

Luke was a fully trained jedi knight in ROTJ, ya ok he didn't have the order teaching him he was mostly self taught. But he was trained.

Luke was a fully trained jedi knight in ROTJ, ya ok he didn't have the order teaching him he was mostly self taught. But he was trained.

Luke was trained, yes. Fully trained is a matter of debate. Yoda and Obi-Wan didn't have near the time it would take to fully train him. Self taught? He would have to do some major communing with the Force and then get Lightsaber techniques downloaded into his brain, imo. At least it wasn't Keanu Reeves saying "Dude, I know Shii-Cho! Most Excellent!" Although, tbh the originals COULD have had better swordfights. That was the one thing the prequels pwned the OT on.

what ever happened to the sith emporer? wasnt he supposed to be immortal from absorbing an nentire planet? where the hell was he during episodes 1-6?

Immortal just means you don't die from natural causes. Look at the Highlander series. They were immortal, but they could still die.

Luke: So I am a Jedi

Yoda: (laughing) No. One thing remains. Vader. You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be.

Ya...but as far as his training goes, he was a jedi knight and he did confront Vader so yes he was a jedi knight.

Luke was trained, yes. Fully trained is a matter of debate. Yoda and Obi-Wan didn't have near the time it would take to fully train him. Self taught? He would have to do some major communing with the Force and then get Lightsaber techniques downloaded into his brain, imo. At least it wasn't Keanu Reeves saying "Dude, I know Shii-Cho! Most Excellent!" Although, tbh the originals COULD have had better swordfights. That was the one thing the prequels pwned the OT on.

No he was fully trained, the novelizations of the movies and between the movies go into far more detail of Luke's training. You can only shove so much into a movie, books you can do whatever you want without any limits.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

There are a lot of different kinds of immortality.

"Clinical immortality" is pretty much just not dying of old age.

"Neoteny" is perpetual youth, always living in the prime of your life.

Then there are varying degrees of "wound resistant" immortality, where it is difficult to kill you. Things like vampires, Immortals from Highlander, etc. have this kind of immortality, where they CAN be killed, but only under a specific set of circumstances.

"Transcendent immortality" is the ability to live on as a being of energy or pure thought. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Yoda all achieved this. Awesome, but your ability to affect the physical world is limited.

Finally, "total immortality" is being completely unable to be killed, by any means whatsoever.

The Sith Emperor of TOR as the first kind of immortality. Though he's powerful enough in his own right that killing him is exceptionally difficult.

If we were talking raw force power, I'd say...Who can shoot the biggest bolt of lightning? Who has the hardest hitting force wave? Who can lift the biggest thing? Who can augment their physical abilities the most?

If you wanted to translate it to numbers, you could just argue who has the most willpower and force points. Or Charisma and Wisdom if you wanna use Kotor numbers.

Anakin had more mid clorian in his bloodstream than anyone else alive at that time. Since Luke is the son of Anakin, the midi clorian count must be diluted somewhat from genetics...Padme not being a Jedi and all that jazz. So Anakin was the most powerful, at least after the Old Republic. That's where my knowledge exausts itself someewhat.

Luke.

Luke had the most potential (same as Anakin), 2nd strongest connection to the force (grandchild of the force), he learned the most about the Lightside and he was the most powerful ability wise (managing to achieve oneness with the force whilst still alive).

Sidious was the most powerful in the Darkside only (connection, techniques, knowledge and usable powers, strength of powers).

Anakin had the strongest connection to the force (being it's child) and had the same potential to become Lukes equal (if not slightly more powerful), but he never got there.

Jacen Solo is a close second to Luke in the Lightside being the only other person to become one with the force whilst still alive.

Edited by AngelousWang