Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant get this to happen for my smuggler. I can use underworld medicine -> another ability in quick succesion the MOMENT my underworld medicine finishes casting

The cast bar hasnt disappeared yet but as long as I get to max cast time I can use another ability.

I don't know what to say if you can replicate it, there is enough anecdotal evidence in this thread to support the claim. Perhaps try the longest casting ability you have and spam your following ability .2-.3 sec before the first finishes?

and do this on a whole rotation, don't wait for animations to finish... before hitting the next key, be faster, make the rotation as crisp as possible so that there is no split second of your character not "doing something"

Basically Shatter Combo in WoW as a Frost Mage... I think that explains it well to a degree... (also the setup to the shatter combo)...

Agree with this. Interrupts are hit or miss for me. Sometimes they'll go off when I hit them and the animation plays next, but other times I have to wait longer than I should after an an instant ability. The end result is PvP feels clunky. Yes I have the ability queue set to 0. It's just really annoying to watch an ability not go off or take longer because the animation stutters from spamming the button (which you feel like you have to do) or waiting for the animation to finish. Edited by Cassanna

I don't know what to say if you can replicate it, there is enough anecdotal evidence in this thread to support the claim. Perhaps try the longest casting ability you have and spam your following ability .2-.3 sec before the first finishes?

and do this on a whole rotation, don't wait for animations to finish... before hitting the next key, be faster, make the rotation as crisp as possible so that there is no split second of your character not "doing something"

Basically Shatter Combo in WoW as a Frost Mage... I think that explains it well to a degree... (also the setup to the shatter combo)...

I did say I used diagnostic scan and other moves RIGHT WHEN my cast bar fills up when I use underworld medicine

I also tried it with charged blast and I get the effect of BOOMBOOMBOOMPEWPEWPEWPEW when I chain charged blast -> flurry of bolts.

I have found this to be an issue, especially tanking, missing a Sundering Assault because of this bug is a huge pain. Although I have found that this bug occurs more only when in groups or when multiple people are around, but I have rarely had this happen in PvP. It seems random at most, but it is a very annoying issue

One solution would be to change all the abilities to have a cast time equal to the animation.

Funny, that a solution that effectively 'changes' nothing - would actually be perfect.

I don't mind Lightning Shock to have a longer cast time, so long as it doesn't lie to me about the cast time :D

But definitely a good idea, that would save weeks, if not months in re-programming!

Also from a balance point of view, i'm sure it is mostly based on cast timers and what someone can do in the space of 3 seconds or whatever... but with this ability-delay... this would be very hard, if not impossible to judge and balance.

I really do think something like this should be changed.

Not sure why people would post here only to say they don't agree and ****. If you don't agree great, but no need to be offensive about your precious game.

A few have said its not going to effect the population. I myself cancled my sub the very night i created it. I may be only 1, but millions are made up of 1s, remember that.

While canceling a sub might be an extreme this early in the game. I've seen this exact issue in so many other mmos in the last 10 years that I have little faith left it will be changed.

To those who are not noticing the problem. Great, I hope you have a good time, sincerely, no pun intended.

I think this problem could be compared to say a game of chess. Some people would play only to have fun, no caring at all about strategy, the rules of the game, or winning. While that is nice, I myself like the competition feel. I like trying to stategize, form a plan, have a person playing against me that makes me think and try harder. The current combat system takes that element out of combat for me.

Maybe myself I am asking for just a straight up, carbon copy of wows combat, and some might say then this game isn't for you. I can live with that, and move on. But having worked in a customer service field for 10 years I can tell you, if enough people see this as an issue, bioware will NEED to address it, whether its a broken mechanic or not.

ITs going to be merely a UI change. People who dont want the channel/cast time change can use how its working right now. If everyone is good with that we can make a shorter post summarizing everything and sending it over to the devs or something o.o

Edit :

If mods get supported we should be able to make this solution as a mod

Edited by Leilei

I guess this is one of the typical cases where you cannot get a response from developers of the game. If it was fixable, they would have fixed it long time ago in the beta. All other issues they recognize now were working without a problem in at least one of the beta builds. Edited by Rendekar

I updated my graphics card drivers, tweaked my NVidia settings and I have none of the issues you stated above.

This statement shows how ignorant you are about PC gaming and hardware. How would drivers affect client this issue at all.

It's incredible how ignorant people are about computers.

People don't even know what their GPU does.

/agree with OP

@op Added spoiler tag because his whinny post is long.

I hate to say it bub but its all you i dont have fps issuses or ability delay.. even in other games theres a global cooldown per ability use...which is half a second or .5 i have had wipes once but it only was a couple till the group got its function down... other then that if your referring to story missions upgrade your gear and companion gear lol honestly.. it makes a big difference, dont forget to train regularly you get ability every level...

honestly though these are personal problems.... ***Problems between Chair and computer*** If you have fps problems its time to upgrade there were tons of us during beta answering tech questions... meeting the minimum requirements means exactly that minimum game play. Dual core should be quad core your gpu should clock in at least 600mhz with at least 500mbs on board ram. for any form of decent gameplay. other wise what did you expect... "I meet the minimum requirements that must mean i can play on full settings derp de derp"

I cannot believe people like you, this is the single worst reply in this thread... I am sorry but your lack of "everything" is disturbing...

I guess this is one of the typical cases where you cannot get a response from developers of the game. If it was fixable, they would have fixed it long time ago in the beta. All other issues they recognize now were working without a problem in at least one of the beta builds.

I cant get it broken like how some people are describing it but the delay thing is with how they made the animations work. Its more like having an autocast feature.

Imagine they made fireball 1 click spell, removed the cast bar, but keep the whole part of the casting.

Thats basically what they did with swtor. Easy fix would be making it like CO with some spells being channelable while moving to reduce the confusion for people. Easy fix compared to redoing ALL the animations

Playing my sorcercer right now, the problem for me is explained here.

I try to form a burst on something, as follows:

Lightning strike(1.5s cast) -> shock(instant) -> force lightning(3 seconds channeled)

The best I could type how I think this should be happening would be here:

LIghtning strike -> shock (wait gcd) -> force lightning

The game is doing this though:

LIghtning strike (wait) -> shock (wait, gcd) -> force lightning

Maybe a better explantion could be said as, a good player imo knows how to chain the gcd with almost 0 delay inbetween. I myself am finding it impossible to do so in this game.

What exactly does that mean? For some of you, you may recognize it as your running around, all the sudden you get hit and are like "*** just happened?" and you died.

Someone probably just landed an ability with a cast time, followed by an instant or 2 to land in succession so fast on your end it seemed like you died instantly. This is pretty much the deffinition burst damage.

I hate to say this, and mean no offense, but to those that don't notice this problem, you're probably the people that when I pwn you, you don't understand what happened or think my class is OP. Again, no pun intended.

The more I test this problem out in game the more I'm convinced it is in fact a delay caused by character animation.

I cant get it broken like how some people are describing it but the delay thing is with how they made the animations work. Its more like having an autocast feature.

Imagine they made fireball 1 click spell, removed the cast bar, but keep the whole part of the casting.

Thats basically what they did with swtor. Easy fix would be making it like CO with some spells being channelable while moving to reduce the confusion for people. Easy fix compared to redoing ALL the animations

As someone said earlier, I think the best and probably most simple solution, would be to adjust the cast-times to the time it actually takes for the animation to be completed.

Although this technically changes nothing, it would make balance a lot easier and mainly it would feel less as though the game is 'lying' to them, when it says they can't cast a particular spell because your character is still mid-animation, but the GCD finished long-ago.

Name one game that died off becuase the combat was not a carbon copy of WoW's. I guarantee you I can name 5 more flaws about said game that were far more detrimental.

you underestimate and don't fully realize the importance of responsive gameplay... No-one can make you realize this, you are closed to the subject.

Playing my sorcercer right now, the problem for me is explained here.

I try to form a burst on something, as follows:

Lightning strike(1.5s cast) -> shock(instant) -> force lightning(3 seconds channeled)

The best I could type how I think this should be happening would be here:

LIghtning strike -> shock (wait gcd) -> force lightning

The game is doing this though:

LIghtning strike (wait) -> shock (wait, gcd) -> force lightning

Maybe a better explantion could be said as, a good player imo knows how to chain the gcd with almost 0 delay inbetween. I myself am finding it impossible to do so in this game.

What exactly does that mean? For some of you, you may recognize it as your running around, all the sudden you get hit and are like "*** just happened?" and you died.

Someone probably just landed an ability with a cast time, followed by an instant or 2 to land in succession so fast on your end it seemed like you died instantly. This is pretty much the deffinition burst damage.

I hate to say this, and mean no offense, but to those that don't notice this problem, you're probably the people that when I pwn you, you don't understand what happened or think my class is OP. Again, no pun intended.

The more I test this problem out in game the more I'm convinced it is in fact a delay caused by character animation.

I have also had a really hard time chaining my abilities to get a good burst chain. There really is no meta game available to good players on the GCD level.

In Rift my Cleric killed people by chaining my GCD's to maximize burst. Healers can't stop 4k damage in a single spike.

I'm not sure the cause of the issue but I have a feeling that it can't be fixed if it's still a problem into launch.

Now that I think of it the Champions online game does this same thing. Maybe this will be another WARHAMMER that failed in a sense because some idiot decided to use that junk Bethesda engine. gamebryo is it?

This Hero engine may simply be flawed mechanically. Almost all mmo engines have at least 1 weak point.

This statement shows how ignorant you are about PC gaming and hardware. How would drivers affect client this issue at all.

It's incredible how ignorant people are about computers.

People don't even know what their GPU does.

/agree with OP

I am sorry, sir, but you appear to be speaking to yourself.

The UI is drawn and highly controlled through the video card. In many cases MMO's see errors in UI related to non updated video drivers.

you underestimate and don't fully realize the importance of responsive gameplay... No-one can make you realize this, you are closed to the subject.

Wrong and wrong. There's nothing unresponsive about the gameplay, you just don't get it. You only think it's unresponsive because you sit there spamming buttons waiting for the GCD. That's now how this game works -- for ANYONE. Stop fixating on your own personal bias and what WoW did, then maybe you could get this concept through your thick skull.

Edited by Nanotech

The UI is drawn and highly controlled through the video card. In many cases MMO's see errors in UI related to non updated video drivers.

So, when I cast a spell that is 2 seconds long, then at the end of the 2 seconds the UI says that the ability is now ready to cast, then I hit the hotkey to cast it and nothing happens because the game is wanting the animation to finish because they couldn't get the animation to end at exactly 2 seconds in development.... I then should contact ATI or Nvidia?

I see....

Our computer's have nothing to do with the OP's point.. really.........................

Wrong and wrong. There's nothing unresponsive about the gameplay, you just don't get it. You only think it's unresponsive because you sit there spamming buttons waiting for the GCD. That's now how this game works -- for ANYONE. Stop fixating on your own personal bias and what WoW did, then maybe you could get this concept through your thick skull.

Sir, does it bother you that because of your response I can tell with 100% certainty that you have neither.

A) Reached any top tier PvP in any MMO

B) Ever raided top level content in any MMO

This issue is a real issue, but only to people who are capable of seeing these flaws. You do not see them because your twitch movement is less than stellar. So, this game matches your slow response time perfectly.

I had a look at a video recorded by someone with 50ms.

I play on 240ms from Australia. I manage to top healing 95% of the time in Warzones.

If the ui was unresponsive, I would keep dying, yet I survive and get "Necrolepsy is unbeatable", "Necrolepsy is invincible" very often. You learn to play. Some people obviously have difficulty with this.

Yes, certain spells need some minor adjustment, but the game feels smooth for me.

I award you 1/5 stars, and may god have mercy on your soul.