What is the point of GSF?

Britzer

Hi,

Also as per the title, what is the real point in GSF? I know people where asking for the space combat but i thought i was going to be better than this derp. Really just doing circles is fun? Not for me.

My thoughts on GSF:

So i jumped into a few games so far and I've found this to be the worst combat system in any Arcade / Flight / Space fighting Sim games. ( Played Freespace 2 quite recently and found the combat system in a 10+ year old game feels much better and doesn't make me dizzy. BioWare please stay away from doing any combat system, since you guys are god awful at it. Pay another game developer to make the combat system who knows what they are doing )

Also people 1 shot new people isn't going to make it any fun for the new ones, way unbalanced and needs a lot of work.

Also seeing ships etc in the Cartel is just screaming Pay to Win, really is that all BioWare is about now? Who cares about the customer base and just throw ***** out there that people can pay for all the while thinking who cares about game balance or the people that subscribe.

Edit:

I just like to point out I'm ok with cosmetic items but when whole ships are sold it's a big NO NO.

(Going to be funny with the trolls and fanboys coming in to defend BioWare, just remember it's my feedback / thoughts to BioWare and I've never jumped down anyones neck for their point of view on things :sul_angel: )

Edited by Britzer

Nobody can one-shot except gunships with a particular companion skill.

Also if it makes you dizzy that doesn't mean it isn't a fuild flight game that just means your brain is having issues with the speed and manuevring.

Also, the cartel ships are identical to existing ships they have ZERO advantages over standard ships.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Nobody can one-shot except gunships with a particular companion skill.

Also if it makes you dizzy that doesn't mean it isn't a fuild flight game that just means your brain is having issues with the speed and manuevring.

Also, the cartel ships are identical to existing ships they have ZERO advantages over standard ships.

No difference is, is that i if you don't buy the equivalent ships from the Cartel you have to play to unlock them. Buying from the Cartel means skipping ships and having access to higher / better ships without the grind, aka Pay to Win.

Edited by Britzer

No difference is, is that i if you don't buy the equivalent ships from the Cartel you have to play to unlock them. Buying from the Cartel means skipping ships and having access to higher / better ships without the grind, aka Pay to Win.

Pay to Win, means paying in order to have an advantage in order to win.

These ships being identical to standard ones, they do not bring advantages.

Wrong, you can use CC to buy some ships, but if you have no skills at all... you will suck no matter what ship you using (CC, unlock with Fleet Req or Starting ships). A P2W situation would be if CC ships had like "1 shot Laser Burst" or "auto aim Quad Laser", giving you a stupid op upper hand on fights.

Ok, you REALLY need to know this:

1. Ships are not tiered, like gear. There is no ship that you only play starting out because it's base stats are much lower than another. This is not EVE Online. All ships are sidegrades. One scout is for movement/agility, the other is for dogfighting. They both can hold their own in any situation. Kinda hard to have a discard-and-upgrade system when there's 5 ships (not counting the 2 CM ones)

2. Cartel ships are each identical to a non-pay ship of the same class. The Scout is identical (save visuals) to the Flashfire/Sting, which costs 4,000 Fleet req (each game can give around 115 fleet req). The Strike Fighter CM ship is identical to the already unlocked base ship.

3. You cannot buy either req kind, for actual componant (laser, missiles) upgrades. You can change ship (per ship only) req to fleet req (for all ships on that character) but you need to earn the ship req first. Infact, it's easier to earn the ship req to convert for ~ 120-180 CCs to buy a ship than buy the 1,140 CC ship outright. How much do you get as a sub each month? 500 CCs? Extra 100 with a sec-key? Seems like you can easily get it using your free CCs, IF you don't choose to just earn the fleet req.

4. EVERYTHING (save reskin visuals) can be unlocked via playing. Maybe not in a single day, but there's a system of progression.

5, and most importantly, look up what Pay to Win actually means. You'll find it means it gives a significant edge ingame for money, which GSF does not do.

Edited by Queen_Ultima

GSF gave me massive headaches for the first week or so, personally. It took some getting used to.

Pay to Win, means paying in order to have an advantage in order to win.

These ships being identical to standard ones, they do not bring advantages.

To be fair, you're getting the advantage of a ship that's considered mastered right from the get go as opposed to after you've upgraded one component in every slot, 145000 ship requsition or so later, and after the point at which you're really going to benefit from that 10% bonus. There's a definate advantage to doing so, it's just more of a personal one.

Still isn't pay to win, mind. Pay to gear-up-moderately-faster perhaps.

Edited by Bleeters

Geez, another one?

Your points were made so many times already, and explained exactly as many times.

Controls are what the engine allows and are absolutely good for a space arcade shooter. This is not a space sim.

Ships are well balanced once you learn to fly and deal with different situations.

Nothing is pay to win as both of the CM ships are reskins of free ships. You even get the fighter straight at the login. Buying scout saves you a whopping 5k fleet req. (a week of playing if you play a little, couple of days if you play a lot)

If you tried it out today, it is understendable that you didn't have much fun, as the amount of newbies is very very low and thus you probably got owned by everything.

Come back Jan 14th and try again. You might have more enjoyable learning curve then. But seriously, stop offending thing you have next to zero experience in.

Considering the OP ends his post saying those disagreeing with him are trolls and BW fanboys, I don't think he's actually looking for a meaningful discussion. He just doesn't like GS and thought posting about it would be helpful.

This. Anytime someone comes in crying about pay2win, it means that they really don't even understand what anything at all means.

If your goal is to gear up ONE ship- EVER- then you can pay some dollars to have at most a 15% req gain (less if you wanted that gunship). It's not many dollars, and it's not much of a boost, and, of course, you have to absolutely abandon some other ships completely. That's pretty damned far from "pay to win". Complaining about "one shots" as if that was an issue of reqqed out ships dealing double damage or something also demonstrates profound ignorance of the game.

To be fair, you're getting the advantage of a ship that's considered mastered right from the get go as opposed to after you've upgraded one component in every slot, 145000 ship requsition or so later, and after the point at which you're really going to benefit from that 10% bonus. There's a definate advantage to doing so, it's just more of a personal one.

Still isn't pay to win, mind. Pay to gear-up-moderately-faster perhaps.

Wait. Cartel ships are fully upgraded ? I wasn't aware of that.

Not fully upgraded. They just have the 10% req bonus from the beginning, you don't need to master them to get it.

They have just the basic stuff with zero upgrades.

Okay. If they had been, I'd have gone back on my words about Pay-to-win.

Not fully upgraded. They just have the 10% req bonus from the beginning, you don't need to master them to get it.

They have just the basic stuff with zero upgrades.

so much this. perhaps if the OP had taken the time to read the ship description, he would not have made this thread. the CM ship are NOT an advantage outside of being "mastered".

really OP, you should read ship descriptions before you open your mouth.

Hi,

Also as per the title, what is the real point in GSF? I know people where asking for the space combat but i thought i was going to be better than this derp. Really just doing circles is fun?

1) if you don't like it, don't queue

2) if all you think GSF is is doing circles, then you don't really know what the point of certain class ships are. and since you don't seem to know, you REALLY don't need to QUEUE anyways.

3) go back to doing... what ever it is that you were doing before GSF, because you obviously don't get it.

• 1 month later...
Wait. Cartel ships are fully upgraded ? I wasn't aware of that.

Cartel Ships are already considered "Mastered" normally you would have to fight enough to upgrade one of each component to max level to Master that ship, thus gaining the extra 10% ship/fleet req.

I do think the ships are balanced, I do think there is a steep learning curve, and i do think the point is to have a ball .

That being said ... Match-making is horrid. Newbies with basic ships going up against people with upgraded Gunships is a horror. 80% of the matches tend to be one sided. and you can only que 4 from you guild, if you qure more you may end up fighting each other, vs working as a team

Most people will watch your back automatically , as you are a team in these games, however a slew will not, they will just ignore you as you fly by with someone on you, that you cant seem to shake.

All and all its FUN, but cant be frustrating, at the same time, IF you manage to que as 2 4 man teams and end up on the asme side.. *(has happened twice for my guild) its Epic.. teamwork and Squad leaders , people moving as a squad and taking down objectives, its prolly one of my favorite parts of the game. Than again .. I might hit my head one too many times

I just do GSF for the quests that come for enduring it. GSF matchmaking is pretty bad. I have screenshots of all new players with only two ships vs an entire team (or nearly so) with 4-5 ships.

The best thing would be a "kiddie pool" for people who only have 2-3 ships in GSF before being thrown to the wolves.

Cartel Ships are already considered "Mastered" normally you would have to fight enough to upgrade one of each component to max level to Master that ship, thus gaining the extra 10% ship/fleet req.

I do think the ships are balanced, I do think there is a steep learning curve, and i do think the point is to have a ball .

That being said ... Match-making is horrid. Newbies with basic ships going up against people with upgraded Gunships is a horror. 80% of the matches tend to be one sided. and you can only que 4 from you guild, if you qure more you may end up fighting each other, vs working as a team

Most people will watch your back automatically , as you are a team in these games, however a slew will not, they will just ignore you as you fly by with someone on you, that you cant seem to shake.

All and all its FUN, but cant be frustrating, at the same time, IF you manage to que as 2 4 man teams and end up on the asme side.. *(has happened twice for my guild) its Epic.. teamwork and Squad leaders , people moving as a squad and taking down objectives, its prolly one of my favorite parts of the game. Than again .. I might hit my head one too many times

/sarcasmon

Thanks for raising this post from the dead... the troll who started it is probably very happy.

/sarcasmoff

/sarcasmon

Thanks for raising this post from the dead... the troll who started it is probably very happy.

/sarcasmoff

I'm far from being a troll.

Well I've played over 150games now on various different ships, I've gotten very use to the controls and normaly do very well in 90% of the games i play. I average over 50k damage per battle a bit less if I'm playing a scout.

I still believe that the CM ships have an advantage over normal ships due to the fact that you gain more Ship / fleet rep per battle than normal. You're unlocking that ships components 10% faster in a way.

I still feel like the older space combat games handle a lot better tho. But than again I'm sitting on 180ms ping and i don't know when I'm missing / evasion or it's due to ping. Bioware needs to put in the scrolling combat text for when your shots are evaded, it would help a lot in determining if it's me or the servers lagging or my ping. ( i can play WoW and other MMOs without my ping jumping around like a child on a trampoline, which leads me to believe that it's the ToR servers and the Wood PCs they are running on. )

Edited by Britzer