5.2 Gear Gap even worse pvp. Keith please fix.

Icykill_

For your main, this gearing system is WAY better than anything BW had previously. The only NiM content I've done are master mode chapters lol. Okay, I did three Hard mode ops ( i think): Dread Fortress and Place and SnV or TFB (can't remember).

Anyways, I definitely, wouldn't get no 248 rating gear (ever) but i wouldn't care either because i would have my 236 rating ranked gear on all my alts that I play regularly. Even both my sent, mara, shadow, sink, guardian, and jugg had their own set bonus gear, after a while and didn't need to share anymore (even augmented too).

And you kinda screwed on the 248 gear if you didn't get any yellows from tier 3.

Enraging in HM Czerka because people are under-geared is not fun (trust me).

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PVP and and "Last Boss" OPs groups is the most efficient way to get CXP, Command Tokens, and Unassembled Tokens. For this reason alone you have players who would not ever PVP now queue to get CXP and tokens.

I'm doing just fine on my Commando with just planetary quests and veteran mode flashpoints. I know, easy mode. :D

2x 248 (chest, gloves)

6x 246 (head, belt, boots, mainhand, offhand, earpiece)

4x 242 (implant, relics, wrists)

1x 236 (implant, gets replaced asap I have something to replace it with)

1x 234 (pants, sad panda)

Edited by Halinalle

What's the difference between current bolster and 248 gear? 10% 15%?

Skilled PvPers are afraid that 10% more HP, 10% more damage(and negligible amount of crit/alacrity) on NiM raider's char would make him unbeatable for PvPers despite all their skill?

No. No one is afraid of the PvE warlords coming in and dominating, well, anything.

10-15% gear difference between players of relatively equal skill is a bigger deal. This can have a deciding effect. But even worse, 10-15% difference between 3-4 players and the guy they are focusing is a *huge* deal. And unless your team is full of bads, you will have people focusing enemy players.

This is what people are upset about regarding gear, not some vague fear of NiM raiders zergrushing warzones.

I'm doing just fine on my Commando with just planetary quests and veteran mode flashpoints. I know, easy mode. :D

2x 248 (chest, gloves)

6x 246 (head, belt, boots, mainhand, offhand, earpiece)

4x 242 (implant, relics, wrists)

1x 236 (implant, gets replaced asap I have something to replace it with)

1x 234 (pants, sad panda)

Because its RNG dependent, someone who has earned the exact amount of command level/experience as you could have better or worst gear.

What's the difference between current bolster and 248 gear? 10% 15%?

Skilled PvPers are afraid that 10% more HP, 10% more damage(and negligible amount of crit/alacrity) on NiM raider's char would make him unbeatable for PvPers despite all their skill?

It's not the NiM dedicated pve people we worry about. It's the hybrid players who do both OPs and are good at pvp.. These are the ones skilled in pvp, but with the best gear. That is the problem and why there is a noticeable gear gap.

Then you have the more casual players who may have similar skill to those NiM raiders, but have low gear. That is another noticeable gear gap for them. Now imaging you're a casual player trying to gear up in pvp and you don't do OPs, but you come across those players who are have top tiered gear and are also good players. It's a complete nightmare for them and in no way enjoyable. After they realise they will never be able to get that gear or be on a level playing field in pvp they leave pvp forever and if that's pretty much all they play, then that means leaving the game.

None of that is healthy for pvp and is having a detrimental affect keeping returning players who came back for 5.2. There are also a lot of long time subscribers giving up because of this issue. Besides the few long term subscribers who have PM'd me here, I've also had a tonne of players in game say they've had enough and Bioware will never change. These are people who have been constantly subscribed since launch and have never let their subs lapse. They've been loyal, dedicated players to this game and given Bioware so many chances and stayed even with all the bad decisions over the last 5 years. When you have these people saying enough is enough, the problem is game breaking because the more people that are the subscriber base foundation who leave will ultimately reduce the life span of the game and accelerate its closure. I already think we maybe past the point of no return because of all the people who have left since 5.0. Trying to get those people back is extremely hard to do and when Bio release a "fix" that isnt a fix like 5.2, those few they did coax back soon leave agin and are unlikely to ever return. This decline has been going on for so long now that I can only see this process accelerating as more people leave.

I've really loved this game and stuck it out with all of Bios blunders. I've hated watching the decline because of one after another stupid mistake or inaction to address major issues. Not once have I seen Bio admit they made a mistake and reversed something that was obviously a bad decision. Most of the time they try to band aid the problem or stick their heads in the sand in the hope it goes away. A lot of the problems with the game could have been avoided if they had better interaction with the community and actually listened to what people wanted and what our concerns were instead of forcing things on us that they want us to have but no one actually wants. They waste so many resources doing this instead of addressing pressing issues. I think most players would live with longer periods between new content if the content was what we wanted and it was quality tested. There are currently a few big elephants (game issues) in the room that Bio are just ignoring and not communicatating with us. These elephants aren't going away and if they don't start addressing them soon there won't be a game by the end of this year. Even some communication from them about these concerns we have would be helpful. But the silence is deafening and people are just fed up. Its no wonder we have so many low population servers.

Keith, it's good that you have started to communicate and we appreciate it. But how about tackling some of these bigger issues and communicate with us about them.

Someone not long ago posted a screen shot of a toon in 208 gear having kicked major butt within the last week or two stating it's not a gear problem but a player skill problem. I think gear does help mediocre players to survive better but not necessarily kill enemies faster.

Like you said that match was a skill problem. You can run naked against bad players. It's the ones that are skilled and geared that are the concern.

That person might only be getting less skilled player in pvp because lots of good players have just given up waiting for things to change.

No one who wants to play skill vs skill pvp is going to stick around to be farmed by guys who spend every waking moment in the game to grind the best gear and grind OPs just so they can have the best gear in pvp.

If you are limited to 5-20 hours a week and you only jump on to pvp and have some fun, then you will never have the best gear and you will always be at a disadvantage. That's not fun at all.

On top of that there is a small percentage of those highly geared people who troll lower geared players on purpose just to farm them and make them quit match as they laugh at them in chat and insult them.

I had a guy the other day in the best gear troll me all match, I didn't even have all 230 gear yet, so he had a massive gear advantage. He didn't target anyone else all match and waited at the respawn for me each time. He wasn't even at my skill lvl because I nearly got him a few time, but that extra health he had and my lower damage saved him. I can only imagine how a lower skilled player with my gear would have felt. 😡

I can tell you I was extremely agitated by that experience because I know if I had the same gear as him I would have wiped the floor with him.

With the population dwindling you often see the same people match after match. You can leave and try to break the queue rotation so you don't have to see them, but you are just as likely to pop straight back into the same match. Even though these people are a small percentage of players, when you get stuck playing against them match after match your game play is ruined. I ended up changing brackets, but that has its own problems because lower brackets aren't popping due to the dwindling population. In the end I logged off.

I'm a dedicated player who has logged well over 10000 hours in pvp and I've been subbed since launch. Now imagine youre relatively new or more casual than me. Do you think those people are going to stick around for that sort of rubbish. At least if they are on an even playing field with gear they will often stick it out and enjoy the game. Trolls have a harder time when it's skill vs skill.

Edited by Icykill_

• 2 weeks later...
Disagree completely, Vember. I really DGAS if Joe Blow PVE Hero Guy worked hard for his gear; it still shouldn't give him an advantage in PvP.

The only gearing choice that should matter is your stat mix. I can't believe I am about to say this, but bolster did pretty well there.

PvP should have zero advantage given for being gear grinding mobslayer heroes. None at all.

This will lead to gear being void in pvp that it will be for strictly comms and dailies unless a balance is found... meaning it does not matter what gear you wear or have we have have the same stats in pvp... if we go to that PVPers will probably leave the game... There own sorta "God" mode with bolster and broken resolve.

...if we go to that PVPers will probably leave the game... There own sorta "God" mode with bolster and broken resolve.

Why do you think that? I don't know ONE person who would leave if that were the case. The idea that players play for gear is just absurd...we play because we enjoy what we do.

That being said...I do think Bolster should only go to 244 or 246 stats to allow a minimal amount of progress to be made with gear, but far from the gear gap we have now. Progression is a valuable part of MMOs.

So, for PvPers, what would be the point to even try to get gear? If bolster wil give you max stats, that would be just BS. Bolster gives worse/less geared players opportunity to compete with those with BiS gear, not to be equal with them. If bolster would get you up to same stats as BiS geared players, what would be the reason to farm components?

And well, if

then let just everyone run in 128 rating gear and hope to be bolstered?

All they need to do is increasing amount of Unassambled Components (maybe add some of them as reward for completing 2nd daily as well) we get from completing wz/mission and gearing would be much easier.

Ops player defending his advantage, nothing to see or know here.

I think I missed some pages while catching up on this thread, so apologies if this has been addressed already.

I've recently come back to swtor because my main computer has a fried gfx card and I'm borrowing one that can't run the other game that made me abandon swtor. That other game has entirely normalized pvp gear - the bolster simply puts everyone at max. Players can make stat choices for different builds by simply picking from any of the 6pc set bonuses in the game, as well as picking different earpieces/implants (which are also at max stat level).

A system like this, if the Hero Engine could even support it, would pretty much turn pvp into a skill-only thing. Of course, it wouldn't solve any of the bellyaching that we'll inevitably see from ppl so far who've farmed 6pc sets. But overall, I think it would save the dev team from continuing to miss the mark on pvp balance.

I think I missed some pages while catching up on this thread, so apologies if this has been addressed already.

I've recently come back to swtor because my main computer has a fried gfx card and I'm borrowing one that can't run the other game that made me abandon swtor. That other game has entirely normalized pvp gear - the bolster simply puts everyone at max. Players can make stat choices for different builds by simply picking from any of the 6pc set bonuses in the game, as well as picking different earpieces/implants (which are also at max stat level).

A system like this, if the Hero Engine could even support it, would pretty much turn pvp into a skill-only thing. Of course, it wouldn't solve any of the bellyaching that we'll inevitably see from ppl so far who've farmed 6pc sets. But overall, I think it would save the dev team from continuing to miss the mark on pvp balance.

That's pretty close to what we had before 5.0 was released.

And it meant PvP was accessible to casuals.

Keith's honeymoon period is nearly over and if this road map doesn't appear soon and have a way to address this gearing issue then it will be too late to save pvp in this game, at least for me.

Why do you think that? I don't know ONE person who would leave if that were the case. The idea that players play for gear is just absurd...we play because we enjoy what we do.

That being said...I do think Bolster should only go to 244 or 246 stats to allow a minimal amount of progress to be made with gear, but far from the gear gap we have now. Progression is a valuable part of MMOs.

Agreed. The only people that would leave if we brought bolster up to where it was 5.0 pre 5.1 are PvE farmers in it just for farming UC/CXP. Good riddance.

Edited by stoopicus

One solution I am thinking of would be to have brackets based on command rank. That way tier 1 ranked players would only play against other tier 1 players. One drawback to this might be slower queues and being unable to play along with friends who have higher or lower command ranks. But this could remedy the gear gap a little. This is just my opinion.

One solution I am thinking of would be to have brackets based on command rank. That way tier 1 ranked players would only play against other tier 1 players. One drawback to this might be slower queues and being unable to play along with friends who have higher or lower command ranks. But this could remedy the gear gap a little. This is just my opinion.

This would make it worse as you would inevitably have people farming lower tiers on purpose with partially maxed gear. (in legacy) Having someone run through an op, get left side 242s, and legacy 248s farming tier 1 seems a bit OP.

Keith, please either change the gearing so dedicated pvpers can gear up as fast as OPS players or increase Bolster to 242

At the moment pvp is ridiculous, it doesn't matter what lvl of skill you are if you have the lowest gear. The people with highest gear have such a big advantage that people with much lower skill, but max armor are smashing people.

Pvp is all I do and it is no longer fun when the gear gap is so big. I've already had PvP people PM me to say they are unsubbing again because of this gearing.

Some actually came back to the game with 5.2 to give it another chance. Now they are leaving again and I'm sure others who stayed subbed while waiting might start unsubbing too.

There needs to be a major change to gearing, Bolster or the gear system for pvp. This slowly, slowly approach just isn't cutting it or getting to the heart of the matter. Pvp is skill vs skill, not gear vs gear, this system is destroying pvp.

5.0 put a major dent in the pvp community and I'm afraid 5.2 is doing the same. If something isn't done in the next few weeks I'd expect most pvpers who don't already have the highest gear will stop pvping or even worse for you guys, unsubscribe to the game.

Personally, I'm probably going to stop playing till it's fixed. If my sub runs out before it's fixed, I'll let it lapse.

Agreed. Esp considering that 246/248 gear drop rates from crates IS RIDICULOUSLY LOW. Iam playing pvp at 300 lvl for 3 weeks and yet got only 2 pieces of 248 and 1 of 246. Why bioware destroying pvp in this game?

• 3 weeks later...

Easiest way:

Give us back real PvP gear!

I am a sub since start and PvP gear was introduced due to snafu like this.

"One gear for all content" just won't cut it.

Even with bolster.

The difference in things needed for each part of the game (PvP vs PvE) is ripping the "One for all" command system into pieces.

I liked on PvP gear that full geared PvE players could come in and would be almost evenly matched to PvP geared players due to no expertise.

Also due to PvP tiers gear difference was only 4 (!!!) grades not a ridiculuos 12 like now.

4 grades gave enough of a minor boost to not have game-breaking consequences.

And last of all:

The gear grind is ridiculuos.

While it may be acceptable for PvE content (although the random fickle luck of RNG is a bloody mess) grinding through 300 (!!!) Levels or needing to get thrashed all the way for the gear component.

This "alternative" gearing is ridculuos and cuts off new players totally.

Example:

248 gear mainhand needs 324 components.

Holy Moses!

And you need tier 2 to start to get it if no RNG luck.

Meaning you need some 650+ components to even get it the "normal" way!

With 40 components for a weekly and 12 for a daily that means you literally need ages alone for ONE endgear piece.

And frankly you quit because once the others have highest tier bracket even low skilled players wreck you if they use half a brain in PvP (staying together, taunting, focusing) !

Also I have a LIFE other than waiting on PvP pops and getting thrashed all day by all geared 248 PvP grunts....

:-D

Add to that that if you have alts you are especially at a loss.

I liked to be able to switch to other classes when I wanted.

Now I am deliberately forced to stay on one class.

Because grinding through another 300 levels on alts is plain insane.

With PvP gear and PvP comms I had my pool for comms for ALL characters and could gear alts in no time.

And no this does not made me leary of PvE content as I needed to get this gear through playing PvE content.

A perfect balance as for me.

So:

Remember why you introduced PvP gear in the first place Developers!

Combining a pyramide gearing like it is now is a recipe for disaster as the disparity of what it needs for different content and what it causes on friction is really tearing the game apart.

Edited by ARFett

• 5 months later...
I starting using my sentinel since 2012 or 2013, with the last gear for pvp for him, is the 162 rating, in level 70, I can do super damage with him. seriously if you still have the 162 rating gear, use it on pvp, works amazing!!:rak_03: Edited by RichardsonMX