is inq soo bad?

Letsjet

I have to disagree with some of you about the SI storyline. I assume I'm still in Chapter 1. I have a female Rattataki SI-A and it's fun manipulating everyone around you. Even your companions.

Right now, I've manipulated Andronikos into believing we're in a relationship with each other. Once my new companion comes along, I'm either going to ditch andry(pet names <3) and go tally atw.

One con to the SI questing is the planet hopping. Not only do you have search for your relics(which is more fun) you have to deal with war story. Personally, if we're not supposed to indulge in the war effort as much anyways, why should I be forced to do the side quests war storylines when in fact, I really don't mind being detached to the effort. The point of the Sith Inquisitor is self-empowerment(big shock there) and the fact that it's about you spinning your own little twist to the plot and making everyone realize in the very end that you're the one in charge. ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like a bad episode of ghost whisperer. Make your toon look like Jennifer Love Hewitt. It has a few decent moments, but overall, pretty silly. I like Ashara. I hate Xelek, he comes in way to late anyway. Khem is cool, Telos is annoying and Andronokis is not bad. I've never played consular, but I hear it's the only class with a worse set of teammates.

Xalek could be interesting, but yes, he comes too late and isn't fleshed out enough. My inquis would totally throw over her sexy pirate man for her adorable little archeologist, but that may only be me. When she asked him if he was trying to flirt with her and he was all 'i would never be that presumptuous' (or whatever it was that he actually said) I really wanted her to be able to ask him why he wasn't. Because, yeah, archeologists.

The spacebar shall be your salvation.

Bah. I am completely loving the IA story so far. I adore Vash at level 20.

I do however throw operating vibro-daggers at all the people in [1. General] who make (what they think are) "clever" comments that have spoiled this story for me before it's fully played out. In that I know the twist :(

It is however already a mile better than the consular story that has you fluttering about the universe doing basically pointless things. Sigh. The consular story is uninspiring, badly written and on a useless premise.

Would the ruined for me story of the IA come close to the jaw dropping twist in the Jedi Knight chapter 1 line? Probably even beat it.

Edited by Bhaers

My first character is a sorcerer and I played her to 50. I found chapter 1 very engaging. It does sag a bit in later levels but picks up interest again as the story starts approaching the climax.

By contrast, I got a Sith warrior to 10 and I'm not engaged enough to continue. I'm some guy's enforcer. So what? At this point with the sorcerer there was rivalry and intrigue, and a boss I'd actually built up a relationship with. At this point with a smuggler you are on the trail of the guy who stole your ship. A bounty hunter is building up to a big contest, with rivalries on the side. Different classes have different pacing, I guess.

Whether the others lose steam later on, I don't know, but for the first 30 levels or so (and at times later on), I was enjoying sorcerer so much that it annoyed me to have to take time off from the main story to go do side quests to keep my level up.

So many negative posts. :( One thing I will agree on is that the SI is not the manipulator/deceiver that is was advertised to be (SW is more of that). HOWEVER I really enjoyed the story. It's all about the pursuit of power and plays out to be like the story of a true Sith, which is the struggle between master and apprentice. I thoroughly enjoyed playing my DS inq because that's what I always considered a force savvy Sith to be like (too far gone to try and redeem to the LS). I have heard some great things about the LS story too, and that it makes much more sense in act III. Playing a DS inq is your stereotypical Sith- throughout the story your looking for self preservation and seeking personal power, while gaining a very large power base (Remind me ALOT of Darth Plagueis actually). A LS inq is looking to fundamentally change the empire from the top-down (Which is why Thanaton despises everything you stand for).

Inquisitor is bad??? Who told you that? Aside from the IA story, it's definitely the best one out there IMO.

In the first act alone, you have a cult founded in your honor, kill your master, bind a force eating Dashade to your service and become the heir to Tulak Hord. I loved it so much I'm playing it again. You're in for a fun ride.

I have heard some great things about the LS story too, and that it makes much more sense in act III.

Having played a LS SI, I have to say that I do not see that claim at all.

I mean I vaguely understand the reasoning behind the claim that being LS gives Thanatopn motivation for his hatred, but that really just does not play out in the storyline. Thanaton never makes any reference to you being a LS sith. He never says he is going to kill you because of your desire to change the Empire. He just says that you are corrupt because your master was corrupt.

And really playing a LS SI was not easy because like 90% of your dialogue options(when not speaking to Ashara) basically boil down to Choice 1: Act crazy, Choice 2: Threaten to kill someon, or Choice 3: Threatent to kill someone with a rusty spoon. There just isn't much selection in reponses for the SI from what I recall.

Edited by Ranadiel_Marius

Inquisitor is bad??? Who told you that? Aside from the IA story, it's definitely the best one out there IMO.

You may like it, but the thing that irks me the most is that the characters in inquisitor story dont act like a sith most of the time. I mean besides killing people in cutscenes.

I guess the people who wrote the story arent so intimately familiar with how Sith culture works than those who wrote the warrior story. Thats the best explanation I guess. Its not that the story would be terribad otherwise, but inquisitor nor characters in SI story dont strike me as a Sith in the same way the SW does (possible exception is Zash). And quite frankly, I would have expected that it would have been the inquisitor who would be the incarnation of all things sith rather than warrior, since inquisitor dabbles in ancient sith knowledge. Sith Warrior does everything better in this respect.

And I mean everything.

For example, lets compare companions. Inquisitor has Ashara, who doesnt go full darkside but remains a confused teenage girl clinging to her beliefs. Nothing Sith coming from that direction. Ashara wouldnt bother me nearly as much if at least Xalek would act like a proper sith apprentice. But no. In his companion quest he talks some ... weak stuff about his family or clan or whatever.. Apparently neither Xalek nor the inquisitor has heard about the sacrifice. (which btw Jaesa gets to pull off in SW story, full points) What family he had is inconsequential after Xalek became Sith apprentice.. The purpose of the sacrifice is to test the apprentices dedication, cut all ties with previous life, and be 100% sith from that point forward.

But no, Xalek is not handled in proper Sith fashion, Neither is almost any character in the SI story past chapter 1.

What does Sith warrior get in comparison? They can get dark side Jaesa, who is not only darkside, she REVELS in it, to the point of being unhinged. Now thats a true dark side apprentice. SI doesnt talk about the force or any proper apprenticeship stuff with his apprentices, SW does. Zash doesnt talk about apprenticeship stuff with SI, Baras does with SW. Again SW story does everything better.

More examples, I just recently got into finishing Andronikos' companion missions:

Andronikos asks SI "are you ever afraid"?

the options are like: always/never/do you admit a weakness?

Now whats wrong with this?

No mention that fear is an emotion that can lead to darkside just as any other, but

"Only a boy draws strength from fear, a man draws strength from hate." -Darth Marr, blood of the empire comic

Could have said something like that but no.

Maybe my imagination is in overdrive but I feel that SI convos are pretty generic and aren't really handled in proper Sith fashion. Just like their gear often doesnt strike me as Sith-like..

Edited by Karkais

Maybe my imagination is in overdrive.

It is.

I don't understand how can someone that likes the empire and the sith in general ,don't like the sith inquisitor story.It is the best story along with the IA...

I though this is known fact,by default every1 should know this.

The only bad thing about the inquisitor is Ashara Zavros,she is a terrible character.Everything else is sith lore goodness.

With Sith Warrior the only thing that makes me feel like a sith were the lightsaber and force powers.The story missions(not all) feels like they can be done by the Agent as well,there is nothing ''Sithy'' and ''dark side-y'' about them,with few exceptions,dark sided Jaesa Willsaam being one of them.Hell most of them are not even connected with the Force in any way whatsover,as i said an ''imperial trooper'' or agent might as well do the story missions instead of the sith warrior.(but i gues its supposed to be that way)

Don't get me wrong its still a great story,imo third place after inq and agent,but still inq's is the proper sith story.

Edited by Kaedusz

If I had to rate the story it would probably get a 4 out of 10. It gets a 4 only because the cinematics are pretty awesome with your eyes lighting up and what not and using UNLIMITED POWAAAAAAAAAAA on people.

So far my favorite stories have been agent, bounty hunter and warrior. I haven't been able to get myself into any republic ones. Though I hear Knight and Trooper are the best from that side.

Edited by spectreclees

I don't understand how can someone that likes the empire and the sith in general ,don't like the sith inquisitor story.It is the best story along with the IA...

I though this is known fact,by default every1 should know this.

You should try reading my posts maybe? Maybe the reason you think SI story is great because you dont watch the cutscenes either? Maybe you dont know anything about Sith?

Edited by Karkais

You should try reading my posts maybe? Maybe the reason you think SI story is great because you dont watch the cutscenes either? Maybe you dont know anything about Sith?

You speak about companions,which i agree,the warrior has better companions,so what?Companions imo have little to do with the class feel.

The other 2 sentences are rubbish.

Edited by Kaedusz

Having played SI and BH to 50, SW to 45 and Knight to 33 my opinions are these:

SW has the most interesting story hands down.

BH story was good and had some fun moments quite often. I liked it.

I'm only on Tatooine with my Knight so can't tell much about that but it seems way better than Inq story.

And then Inquisitor... I'll just say the Act I was alrighty, but then it was just boring after that... Not cool. I liked the Ghostbusters stuff a little but I wanted to play as a Sith and SI story didn't quite deliver the feeling that I was playing as one. If you like Ghostbusters alot, go for it.

You may like it, but the thing that irks me the most is that the characters in inquisitor story dont act like a sith most of the time. I mean besides killing people in cutscenes. .

I agree with this entire post. SI was the first thing I played, then I played SW, and it does EVERYTHING better, including the intrigue (which should be an Inq's bread and butter, as I've probably posted countless times before). The Sith Warrior feels like an indomitable b-dass that rips through the galaxy. The Inquisitor feels like a shmuck that is mostly propped up by the people around you. There is very little that feels Sith-like in the entire story. Even some of the cutscene force lightning uses feel peevish, rather than effective for anything.

Yeah, there are some nice cutscenes with the SI where he gets to force lightning people, but try this on for a size:

At a mission that I wont spoil, SW has come to kill two people. He/she found them but a jedi leapt in front of them with lightsaber drawn. "You wont hurt these people while Im here blah blah!"

The sith warrior says nothing.

*SWISH* the warrior tosses the jedi to the side with the force like hes not there, grabs the two targets into double force choke and cracks them like tin cans. The jedi climbs to his feet, stunned. "I..I've never seen a sith kill that fast.. I was helpless.."

If thats not bad*ss I dont know what is. In general, warriors bad*ssitude is completely unrivaled from what I have so far seen.

The warrior also gets to manipulate people and tempt them to the dark side in a way that SI completely fails to do(Jaesa vs Ashara no contest, plus handful other NPCs in SW story and Im not even past chapter 2!), and SW EVEN gets to strategize in a way SI does not. In Taris there is a mission where SW needs to pick companions to do different jobs and evaluate whos the best at what. Kind of like that one mission in ME2. Depending how you pick them, your own mission turns harder or easier. SI has nothing like this.

SI's political trickery in comparison consists of fighting your way through guards and then threatening the person to do something. Yeaaaaaaaah totally tricky

At best SI story can be considered as 'mediocre'.

Edited by Karkais

Out of the five classes I have played past Chapter 2(JK, SW, JC, SI, and RT), I have to rank SI as the worst of them all. The cofnlict with the main villian of Chapter 2 and 3 just feels forced and the guy is ridiculous in the first place.A lot of the planet storylines come off as silly or stupid(Balmorra is especially facepalm worthy). And over all it lacks the sense of being any kind of manipulator.....heck I'd go so far as to say that the story lacked a feeling of player agency at all. It is really weird, the RT is directy ordered from Gneral Garza for pretty much all of their story missions, and yet I still felt like I was making more decisions than I did with the SI. Stuff just happens to the SI, your comapnions figure out what to do, and you get dragged along.

Classic mastermind at work. Let the minions do the work and just go with the flow for the booty

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HypercompetentSidekick

Edited by Felight

Classic mastermind at work. Let the minions do the work and just go with the flow for the booty

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HypercompetentSidekick

The TVtropes you linked too probably does apply. I mean it does say, "The underling who is much smarter, more efficient and more industrious than their (usually totally incompetent) boss, and is the one actually responsible for anything that gets done in the workplace."(emphasis added) I would agree that the SI's minions are Hypercompetent(at least in comparison to the SI).

However I would hardly call the SI a mastermind. He's more of a Pointy Haired Boss.

So many negative posts. :( One thing I will agree on is that the SI is not the manipulator/deceiver that is was advertised to be

This would be my main criticism of the storyline. It is lamentably lacking in political manoeuvering and fencing, or any real exercising of the character's intellect. The only thing that seems to matter is how hard you bzort things with lightning.

Even the main political play of the act 3 story arc is presented in the form of ritualised combat called Kaggath, which ultimately involves (you guessed it) personally destroying stuff with lightning and/or lightsaber.

. At no point in the storyline did I feel like my sorceror outsmarted anyone, he either managed to pull something out of his backside at the last minute, or fell headlong into every trap only to come out of it alive by virtue of being 'the chosen one'. As a counterpoint, the Sith Warrior storyline totally gave me the scheming manipulator kicks I wanted from the Inquisitor storyline, within the first hour or two of play. Sure, he's a brute too, but he seems to have more brains than the Inquisitor, who is just swept along by events and or incessant need for more power, and damn the consequences. The Warrior also gets a far better Master. Much as I liked the fact they broke the mould with Zash, I also feel the story very much neglected the mystical and political aspects of the Inquisitor. Baras in contrast absolutely seems like a Master who is training the character. Add to this I disliked the voice acting for male Inquisitor. He sounds like an ex public schoolboy thespian, and can barely pull off menace without sounding camp. I found this particularly jarring for my assassin tank character who is the size of a door and probably has **** the size of coconuts (Frankly I don't think the male Warrior is much better, he sounds detached, almost as if reading an advertisment script. But this is made up for with a superior storyline)

Yeah, there are some nice cutscenes with the SI where he gets to force lightning people, but try this on for a size:

At a mission that I wont spoil, SW has come to kill two people. He/she found them but a jedi leapt in front of them with lightsaber drawn. "You wont hurt these people while Im here blah blah!"

The sith warrior says nothing.

*SWISH* the warrior tosses the jedi to the side with the force like hes not there, grabs the two targets into double force choke and cracks them like tin cans. The jedi climbs to his feet, stunned. "I..I've never seen a sith kill that fast.. I was helpless.."

If thats not bad*ss I dont know what is. In general, warriors bad*ssitude is completely unrivaled from what I have so far seen.

The warrior also gets to manipulate people and tempt them to the dark side in a way that SI completely fails to do(Jaesa vs Ashara no contest, plus handful other NPCs in SW story and Im not even past chapter 2!), and SW EVEN gets to strategize in a way SI does not. In Taris there is a mission where SW needs to pick companions to do different jobs and evaluate whos the best at what. Kind of like that one mission in ME2. Depending how you pick them, your own mission turns harder or easier. SI has nothing like this.

SI's political trickery in comparison consists of fighting your way through guards and then threatening the person to do something. Yeaaaaaaaah totally tricky

At best SI story can be considered as 'mediocre'.

Yup the SI was my first character and when playing the story to 50 I wondered to myself were is the manipulation? The intrigue? Hell I can't even corrupt a padawan!? *crosses fingers that expansion story is better since lead writer for the SI left bioware* I went on the try the sith warrior story got a level 45 sith warrior and I have to say that story blows the SI out of the park.

It seems the so called "brute" has more brains than the SI my DS sith warrior has manipulated, lied, cheated and backstabbed people. The SI line from the story trailer says "I know that treachery…can break even the mightiest foe." the SI also says in the story trailer "The true power of the Dark Side; it is claimed by many, but known by few." while showing the SW get blasted by the rocket.

After playing the SW it seems that the sith warrior understands these words better than the SI. To me it seems that the people who wrote the SW story understands the sith better than the person who done the SI. Lets not forget majority of the time its the SI companions and npc's coming up with all the plans and manipulations and the SI just rolls with it.

Edited by lokdron

Hehe, yeah, I agree with pretty much everything that has been said here so far. Really, I loved the 1st chapter but after that it just kinda went downhill. In other words, the SI storyline makes you feel indeed, like an unworthy slave that you are who just got lucky to climb up the hierarchic ladder.

I have no problem with the Inc storyline. Really, each of the Imperial storylines is good (though the agent's is at the bottom).

See? Every player has their own opinion. Just a few posts above this one it was said Agent was the BEST story in the game... now here FigeroMentel is saying it's at the bottom, however he's not saying it's bad.

So, in the end.... Play it. See what you think. That's the only way to get a 100% accurate answer.

See? Every player has their own opinion. Just a few posts above this one it was said Agent was the BEST story in the game... now here FigeroMentel is saying it's at the bottom, however he's not saying it's bad.

So, in the end.... Play it. See what you think. That's the only way to get a 100% accurate answer.

Very true. So far, I've played five storylines and each have been very good. When each is good, the order will be based primarily on our own opinions. No story is so much better than the others that it is decidedly at the top or so bad it is decidedly at the bottom.