Companion tanks......

darkwingduk

First a bit of back ground on things. I've always played tank classes... powertech / vanguard / jugg / jedi guard. I also play dps classes for the most part... gunslinger / mara / BH merc etc.

Now as a tank [ the spec i play more ] i dont have to really worry about anything since i basically use the healer companion. I take all the damage and dish out the dps.

Playing a gunslinger sab smuggler of late has been a mission. A mission of constantly rezzing bowdarr. I use to use carso riggs.. but when i got bowdarr i started using him. Am currently on tattoine / alderaan lvl 32. Now i havent played my smuggler in some time since i was working on getting my tank to level 50. So in no way do i feel like this class used to be another way, if you get what am saying.

My take on things are basically related to whats going on now. And as it stands bowdarr is a horrible tank companion.

I always try to get my companions gear up to my level which just means when i go to a new planet i focus on gearing them as much as i focus on gearing myself. Its incredibly hard to find mods with str / end / defense at low levels. I know at lvl 50 you guys are running around with companions in full com gear sets etc. Its very easy to have a companion in top tier gear that can hold its own.. even in orange mod gear bowdarr can barely survive against 2 champion mobs 2 lvl below me. Maybe its the constat armor debuff npc / mobs have all of a sudden but its fustrating having to heal heal heal after every fight.

I just wonder where the love is for leveling to end game with the same companion since end game is basically about running raids / dailys and leveling to end game means doing heroics and alot of missions solo. End game like heroics raids dont include companions at all... but leveling to end game i need him to at least hold up... not die every other fight.

On my scoundrel its no porblem leveling because they have heals and my companion is fine... gunslingers dont have that luxury.

Either allow or companions to benefit from us using cover [ by increasing ] their defense or something because having to heal or resummon bowdarr after most fights is becoming annoying.

you'll have the same problem with Corso, trust me... At low level, the Sniper/gunslinger is a pain to level, cause you have no heals to work with. Once you get your healer, thats almost all you'll ever use. I did use Scorpio alot, when fighting packs of mobs, when I just dinged 50... send in scorpio, orbital strike, kill 1 by 1 :) Now I use Kaliyo, since she's easier to gear than a droid :) + her having rakata+ gear helps :)

actually, my gunslinger went all the way to level 50 with Corso. didn't have any major problems either. in fights with elites, i could kill them fast enough to where Corso wouldn't even die (though he would be very low on health). and that was even before i made use of interrupts, CC, and stuff. i leveled as sharpshooter though, not sab, so i dunno if my single target dps had something to do with that.

also, as far as Tatooine goes, as i recall, there is a bit of a spike in difficulty that was more apparent than on previous planets, and since you just get Bowdaar like right before you head there, his green armor isn't going to help him much. i remember having trouble using Bowdaar right when i hit Tatooine too. i ended up benching him and pulling Corso back out, especially since the latter had better gear.

Edited by happysister

I like my pet monkey. He gets killed so I don't have to. Good monkey.

er... i mean wookieethingy

And um... Gunslinger is EASY to level, whoever said it's a pain obviously doesn't grasp the concept of the cover system.

Edited by bahdasz