Transfer files to new comp?

WornTraveler

Perhaps not the best place to ask, but a friend offered to let me install and PvP on his alienware (!) since I was lagging so hard on my laptop.

Question: anyway to transfer the updated game and associated patch files to the other computer without the 24-hour patch? Just transfer them directly? I'm kinda a tech newbie so please speak English :-P

with other games i used to just copy and paste the whole game folder, as long as there wen't any new updates between copying, pasting and starting the new game I was straight in.

I don't see why it wouldn't work for SWTOR... although, you might want to use a good quality portable hard drive to copy it to (they're much faster than just a USB, even the large ones). Also, I haven't tried it with such a large game like this.

If you have a way to link the two laptops together then i guess you could do it that way, i've never tried that before though.

Id be interested on doing this too, as i take 3 days to download the full game from the "awesome" BW servers.

The thing is that if you cope directly, it will corrupt some files. There's a way to prevent it though, which is creating an .md5 checksum. Ive wrote BW asking how to do it, but they sent me a reply about "on how to fix issues with my computer", so eh...

Download the installer from swtor.com and that will put the base files on then paste your original into the bioware folder run repair if it tries to update however mine never has and has worked twice for me

with other games i used to just copy and paste the whole game folder, as long as there wen't any new updates between copying, pasting and starting the new game I was straight in.

I don't see why it wouldn't work for SWTOR... although, you might want to use a good quality portable hard drive to copy it to (they're much faster than just a USB, even the large ones). Also, I haven't tried it with such a large game like this.

If you have a way to link the two laptops together then i guess you could do it that way, i've never tried that before though.

Copying and pasting the folder works, but not 100%.

I recently upgraded my computer to windows 8 (fresh install) and so I copied the EA folder in my program files to an external hard drive.

Upon copying the files back to my computer, the graphics, audio, and interfaces settings were set to default. I had to reset my graphics settings to the proper screen resolution (defaulted to 1024x768) and graphics level (defaulted to low, reset to high), I had to adjust the audio settings (I decrease the background music volume, etc), and my user interface had to be rearranged to my preference.

Other than that, it works.

So it worked in copying the game, just not your personalisations?

That's good to know, thanks for testing it :)

The user profile (options, chat channels, UI and so on) can be copied too, but they are in a different folder. It changes a bit depending on your Windows version, but should be similar to

C:\Users\ [Yourusername] \appdata\Local\SWTOR

I have a new computer and was wondering how to transfer the game files over without downloading the whole thing again over the internet.

I am a total computer noob, and have to ask where do I find the game files?, I am looking at programm files and cannot immediately see where they are or what I need to do.