Reason why you get low FPS with a decent card. FPS increase fix inside!

AndantePhist

I found this fix from the german forums.

We know that SWTOR uses directx 9, and apparently a majority of gamers do not have their directx 9 drivers updated to the latest version!

This makes sense, I can't recall the last time I played a directx 9 game, and I never recall SWTOR coming with a directx 9 update, and the theory I gathered from the german forums is that directx 10/11 is able to emulate directx 9, but it requires a lot of extra power thus causing the super low framerates on even the most top of the line cards.

here is the link to the last directx 9 update published by microsoft. Don't worry, this does not override your directx 10/11 files. Directx 9, 10, 11 are all separate and this simply install/updates your version of directx 9.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

(DO NOT extract the files into desktop, extract it into a new folder... trust you do not want to extract it to desktop, after extracting open DXSETUP to install)

I personally got a 10-20 fps boost in all areas including WZs.

Let me know if this fix works for you guys.

EDIT: Please post what graphics card, cpu, and ram you are using. Also let us know if you see a framerate increase or not from installing the new directx 9.0c drivers. So far this seems to work for 9600GT users. I'm using a HD6850, 8 gigs of ram, quad core 2.66 and it worked for me.

EDIT: Also I have shadows, bloom, v-sync and Anti-Aliasing turned OFF. Everything else is on high.

Edited by AndantePhist

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this fix from the german forums.

We know that SWTOR uses directx 9, and apparently a majority of gamers do not have their directx 9 drivers updated to the latest version!

This makes sense, I can't recall the last time I played a directx 9 game, and I never recall SWTOR coming with a directx 9 update, and the theory I gathered from the german forums is that directx 10/11 is able to emulate directx 9, but it requires a lot of extra power thus causing the super low framerates on even the most top of the line cards.

here is the link to the last directx 9 update published by microsoft. Don't worry, this does not override your directx 10/11 files. Directx 9, 10, 11 are all separate and this simply install/updates your version of directx 9.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

(DO NOT extract the files into desktop, extract it into a new folder... trust you do not want to extract it to desktop, after extracting open DXSETUP to install)

I personally got a 10-20 fps boost in all areas including WZs.

Let me know if this fix works for you guys.

Yeah

i did this too on my bootcamp macbook pro. I dont have a top card in it (nvidia 9600GT) but i did go from 21-22 fps to 30 fps. So, yes it helped me on the FPS.

Have tested with GTX 560 Ti and noticed no difference outside the margin of error...

and sorry if my test report is viewed as trolling, just becose it goess against someones wishfull thinking.

Might be also worth noting that DX10/11 doesnt 'emulate' anything. Relevant DX9 libraries are part of newer DX redistributables and are used when called just like any other .dll in your PC.

Not gonna go into the discussion about having multiple versions of same .dll in your system since game studios usually deliver the correct version if needed.

Edited by C-Bee

No difference for me... I still dont understand how this game can be released when so many have fps issues... I cant play WZ's or run around in fleet without having fps under 10...

Damn lag wars...

Do you have shadows disabled in the fleet? I know that in the fleet shadows cause a huge performance impact.

I have an i7 with 6 gigs of ram, nVidia 9800 with 2 gigs of ram on the video card, running Windows 7 Ultimate.

My wife has an i3 with 2 gigs of ram, nVidia 9800 with 512 megs of ram on the video card, running Windows 7 Home Edition.

I had no frame lag issues. She did.

I upgraded her to Windows 7 Ultimate and updated all drivers from Microsoft and nVidia - a bit better but still laggy after a few minutes of running around.

I didn't realise she only had 2 gigs of DDR3 ram. I spent $40 and got her another 4 gigs, boosting her to 6 gigs.

She is consistantly hitting 50-60 fps.

No ram drive. No special software running in the background. No .INI patches or registry hacks.

I just defrag our HD once a week (we should any way) and her machine loads scenes faster than mine now.

Do you have shadows disabled in the fleet? I know that in the fleet shadows cause a huge performance impact.

Yup, and i really have done almost everything to fix this.. Every guide i could find on the internet to increase performance, different version drivers and so on... Any settings dosnt make any difference :(

I have an i7 with 6 gigs of ram, nVidia 9800 with 2 gigs of ram on the video card, running Windows 7 Ultimate.

My wife has an i3 with 2 gigs of ram, nVidia 9800 with 512 megs of ram on the video card, running Windows 7 Home Edition.

I had no frame lag issues. She did.

I upgraded her to Windows 7 Ultimate and updated all drivers from Microsoft and nVidia - a bit better but still laggy after a few minutes of running around.

I didn't realise she only had 2 gigs of DDR3 ram. I spent $40 and got her another 4 gigs, boosting her to 6 gigs.

She is consistantly hitting 50-60 fps.

No ram drive. No special software running in the background. No .INI patches or registry hacks.

I just defrag our HD once a week (we should any way) and her machine loads scenes faster than mine now.

Your Wife must be a real lucky lady to be taken care of so well (:

Yup, and i really have done almost everything to fix this.. Every guide i could find on the internet to increase performance, different version drivers and so on... Any settings dosnt make any difference :(

Same for me, I've tried everything everyone has mentioned and yet nothing has improved, still low fps... Got like 3fps in Ilum during pvp, but in BF3 on everything on max, I have 30+

A lot of people, like me, are pros and knows what try and do. Not having tons of processes running the background, get the latest drivers for everything, even trying older ones, have all in swtor set to the lowest, no shadows, or even set to the highest.. we can have super fast computers, tons of memory... no matter what we do, the fps in this game for some will not improve cuz of piss poor programming.

Everytime someone says stuff like this, that they have terrible fps, everyone jumps on them telling them to turn off shadows, get a faster pc etc. Just because THEY have a slower computer than you and yet 10 times more fps they think you are noob for having low fps.

Edited by IronclawFTW

Same for me, I've tried everything everyone has mentioned and yet nothing has improved, still low fps... Got like 3fps in Ilum during pvp, but in BF3 on everything on max, I have 30+

A lot of people, like me, are pros and knows what try and do. Not having tons of processes running the background, get the latest drivers for everything, even trying older ones, have all in swtor set to the lowest, no shadows, or even set to the highest.. we can have super fast computers, tons of memory... no matter what we do, the fps in this game for some will not improve cuz of piss poor programming.

Everytime someone says stuff like this, that they have terrible fps, everyone jumps on them telling them to turn off shadows, get a faster pc etc. Just because THEY have a slower computer than you and yet 10 times more fps they think you are noob for having low fps.

Becose quite honestly 95% of this forums users should never be left alone in a room with their PC. Not to mention go play with hardware or tweaking their system...

That is why people start with simplest solutions when offering an advice. (pretty basic trouble shooting procedure btw... every 'PRO' should know this)

Edited by C-Bee