Last boss of FE = worst design I've ever seen

So we fought him on HM, and the first 90% of the fight isn't even a challenge. I'm decently geared but nothing amazing, but he could barely touch me the entire time. Last 10% is ridiculously stupid though as it takes precise positioning and timing, and if you mess up, you now have to sit through another borefest of a fight to get back to that point. Not to mention the worst part of it all, if you fall off the ledge, no credit for the quest. Which is a real pain for tanks because the only way we could get to the point where we could knock him off was if I ran near the edge and risked getting pushed over, which was exactly what happened to me.

Seriously, change this fight. this is terrible design.

Not to mention the worst part of it all, if you fall off the ledge, no credit for the quest. Which is a real pain for tanks because the only way we could get to the point where we could knock him off was if I ran near the edge and risked getting pushed over, which was exactly what happened to me.

This is a valid complaint. I have sent a number of tickets about it (doesn't need to be tank but it most often happens to a tank) I think you should too. The same can happen in any other FP too, if you die in the final fight, rez at medbot, and your mates finish the fight in your absence. Now you cant get in anymore to get loot you deserve. Stupid design.

Other than that, I think FE final fight is ok. (avoiding spoilers here) Its 100% about mechanics and not about surviving damage or beating enrage timer. Indeed, this is the kind of fight that people who complain about enragetimers would want every bossfight to be. I like enragetimers (my main character is DPS. :))

Edited by Karkais

This is a valid complaint. I have sent a number of tickets about it (doesn't need to be tank but it most often happens to a tank) I think you should too. The same can happen in any other FP too, if you die in the final fight, rez at medbot, and your mates finish the fight in your absence. Now you cant get in anymore to get loot you deserve. Stupid design.

Other than that, I think FE final fight is ok. (avoiding spoilers here) Its 100% about mechanics and not about surviving damage or beating enrage timer. Indeed, this is the kind of fight that people who complain about enragetimers would want every bossfight to be. I like enragetimers (my main character is DPS. :))

I opened up a ticket, but I have about five tickets opened without anything but an automated response so I don't expect anything to come out of this.

The ONLY way we could get him knocked off is if I ran close to the edge and taunted, which is just ridiculous considering he has knockbacks. One of the players I was grouped with said he got knocked off twice without credit (He was healer).

Clearly, there is a problem with this encounter. As for it being about mechanics, there really isn't much to know about the fight. 90% of the fight is just tank and spank, it's just the last 10% that is stupidly annoying.

Edited by hulkweazel

I opened up a ticket, but I have about five tickets opened without anything but an automated response so I don't expect anything to come out of this.

The ONLY way we could get him knocked off is if I ran close to the edge and taunted, which is just ridiculous considering he has knockbacks. One of the players I was grouped with said he got knocked off twice without credit (He was healer).

Clearly, there is a problem with this encounter. As for it being about mechanics, there really isn't much to know about the fight. 90% of the fight is just tank and spank, it's just the last 10% that is stupidly annoying.

have you noticed the boxes right before the final fight? also, you dont have to risk being knocked off at all. tank him on the stairs, punt him after he starts channels. its not hard.

Before teh main door to him make sure you grab those grenades before you go and fight and hot bar them. beat him down the steps then start moving him to the ledge. once he is close enough you blast him with grenades.

getting blasted over the edge happened to our tank. Was not a happy camper.

"we're sick of unfair enrage timers"=Players

"ok, lets put in a mechanic thats fun and requires modicum of brainpower"=Bioware

"we actually have to think about the mechanic? this is BS"=players

"we give up"= Bioware.

Why not just ask for a long hallway with 4-5 chests and call it an instance?

"we're sick of unfair enrage timers"=Players

"ok, lets put in a mechanic thats fun and requires modicum of brainpower"=Bioware

"we actually have to think about the mechanic? this is BS"=players

"we give up"= Bioware.

"Why do I have to click on 4/5 chests?"=Players

"Ok 1 chest with loot from 4/5 chests"=Bioware

"NOT ENOUGH CHESTS!"=Players

No thanks, bored of Black Talon already ;)

Anyway, for the OP's post, I do agree with a couple of things.

His damage is a joke. If not for his enrage timer, my Assassin could solo him. My health doesn't drop when it is just him versus me. When playing my operative, I pretty much just use my AoE heal to heal the entire party, other than tossing out some HoT probes from time to time. Most of the fight, I'm just DPS'ing.

And getting knocked out of the instance on falling death needs to be fixed. Personally, I feel that getting zoned out when you die is stupid and needs to go. Load times aren't the same for everyone and it isn't like it stops people from rejoining the fight post death. When you die, you should come back inside the place. And if just feeding bodies into the grinder is an issue, then slap a force field in place to stop people who release from rejoining the fight.

But barring changing the stupidity of zoning people out on death, people who fall to their death should stay in the instance until they release, and in a way that insures they can get loot.

But if he's the worst design the OP has ever seen, he hasn't seen much design ;)

Edited by Battilea

One of the best bosses in game, no darn unfairness, just realy nice mechanics. (not to mention that whole fight and even part of mechanics is based on one great scene from oryginal trylogy :D )

Go back to arcanoid if it is too much.

And about this killing boss = end of FP mechanics - yeah it is RETARDED. Damn nonsense,

Edited by KVork

Malgus is one of the easiest bosses on HM in my opinion.

At the start of the fight the Rdps and Healer just runs to one of the 'pillars' near the ledge. There's a protrusion there so you can really nudge yourself in and then turn around. That way Malgus can push all he wants but you're glued into the pillar. The Tank just kites the boss to the pillars and nudges himself into the pillar at the opposite spot (together with the Mdps).

---[]'H M T'[]---===---

---------------------------->>>>-----

---------------------------->>>>-----O

---------------------------->>>>-----

---[],------,[]---===---

And when he hits the 50k marker and starts his lightning zap-zappy we simply run at him and knock him off. And with BW even supplying boxes with I-WIN grenades, this is one of the most trivial fights ever.

Tanking him on the stairs is more tedious (and pointless) when you can use the pillars as an alternative.

Edited by Danakar

Before teh main door to him make sure you grab those grenades before you go and fight and hot bar them. beat him down the steps then start moving him to the ledge. once he is close enough you blast him with grenades.

getting blasted over the edge happened to our tank. Was not a happy camper.

We tried this four times. With a Marauder, Assassin and Sorc using their knockback abilities plus the use of grenades it wasn't enough unless I deliberately went extremely close to the ledge.

For all those saying I'm just whining, do you honestly think it's working as intended for someone that falls off the ledge to be zoned out plus miss out on completing quests/getting loot, especially when the mechanics of the boss means you have to risk doing so? And I wouldn't be nearly is ticked off if the first 90% of the fight wasn't a complete and utter joke.

Edited by hulkweazel

We tried this four times. With a Marauder, Assassin and Sorc using their knockback abilities plus the use of grenades it wasn't enough unless I deliberately went extremely close to the ledge.

For all those saying I'm just whining, do you honestly think it's working as intended for someone that falls off the ledge to be zoned out plus miss out on completing quests/getting loot, especially when the mechanics of the boss means you have to risk doing so? And I wouldn't be nearly is ticked off if the first 90% of the fight wasn't a complete and utter joke.

Not being able to get back in is something they are addressing in an upcoming patch. However getting knocked off is your own fault because if you do it right it'll never happen. Bring a MM sniper with you next time. I can knock him off all by myself. Queue ambush and as soon as it shoots hit cover pulse. That's 2 knockbacks at once.

Edited by Fumanchu_Fow

Honestly probably the easiest boss in the game next to Yadira Ban. You can even grapple him surprisingly. And he can be a few feet from the edge. So, grapple him near the edge, get on the side opposite the drop and fling your nades. Woe to ye who find him difficult.

Ah, and forgot to mention, I dont know if it is a bug or not (propably is) but 2 or 3 days ago I did FE HM in PUG and Malgus didnt enter his lightning phase till death, i tanked him to the ledge, got grenade and push ready to knock him off, but suddenly he was under 20% and still kickin... so we just torn him apart with lightsabers.

And than we stood over his body amazed, he just died by a sword, like his master before him.

True Story Bro.

as a tank that's ran this probably 20 times, without being knocked off once I can tell you without a doubt that OP is doing something wrong.

keep your back to the wall at the side of the stairs until 15 percent or so, then move him towards the ledge with your back towards the long hallway, if he knocks you back you wont fall off. when he starts casting lighting force push him off the edge. its INCREDIBLY easy, and there is no excuse for being knocked off.

seriously, if I ran as dps with a tank that got knocked off I'd kick him from group and find another.

only thing wrong with this fight is it's too easy. he should hit harder, and cast unlimited power more often.

Edited by robcamp

OP, you made one good point: party members not getting credit if they fall off the edge to their death. Admittedly, this only happens when you're stupid. But I digress.

As for the rest of it? Stop being bad. There is nothing wrong with the design. If you happen to be a JG tank, you can position Malgus appropiately without ever putting your back to an opening. If you're Shadow or a Vanguard, you can pull Malgus to the right spot once he channels lightning.

There isn't a problem with design. There is a problem with your understanding of the fight and how the mechanics work.

as a tank that's ran this probably 20 times, without being knocked off once I can tell you without a doubt that OP is doing something wrong.

keep your back to the wall at the side of the stairs until 15 percent or so, then move him towards the ledge with your back towards the long hallway, if he knocks you back you wont fall off. when he starts casting lighting force push him off the edge. its INCREDIBLY easy, and there is no excuse for being knocked off.

seriously, if I ran as dps with a tank that got knocked off I'd kick him from group and find another.

only thing wrong with this fight is it's too easy. he should hit harder, and cast unlimited power more often.

I did exactly this. Four times. He never got knocked off. It was my first time running it, but I was following the instructions of someone who ran it multiple times, who also happened to have gotten knocked off twice before. It was only when he didn't get knocked off did I try to get closer to the ledge.

And yes, he needs to hit WAY harder. I could probably tank him without a healer.

I don't get it. I tanked FE blind with some guildmates, and he started channeling before he reached a ledge. I ran back towards one of the ledges, harpooned him to me, then sidestepped around him and hit with a grenade to knock him down. Took like 5 seconds. Edited by Fabricated

Step 1: tank him at the stairs with everyone having their backs to the wall

step 2: when he hits about 15% hp (switch target information on in settings), stop dps, tank pull him to one of the pillars on the bridge, have tank with their back towards a pillar so malgus is standing in front of the pit. Everyone else except the tank stay far enough away so that his knockback wont hit you if it hits the tank.

step 3: resume dps

step 4: when he is at 10% hp, he says "your fleet is doomed", your grenades become usable. Hit him with 2 at the same time.

step 5: collect loot.

ps. What you are saying about people getting knocked off the ledge and not being able to enter, you are correct. That is wrong, and bugged and all that. Bioware needs to fix that. They can attempt to enter, but the game will kick them out. Fix it Bioware!

Edited by Karkais

Step 1: tank him at the stairs with everyone having their backs to the wall

step 2: when he hits about 15% hp (switch target information on in settings), stop dps, tank pull him to one of the pillars on the bridge, have tank with their back towards a pillar so malgus is standing in front of the pit. Everyone else except the tank stay far enough away so that his knockback wont hit you if it hits the tank.

step 3: resume dps

step 4: when he is at 10% hp, he says "your fleet is doomed", your grenades become usable. Hit him with 2 at the same time.

step 5: collect loot.

ps. What you are saying about people getting knocked off the ledge and not being able to enter, you are correct. That is wrong, and bugged and all that. Bioware needs to fix that. They can attempt to enter, but the game will kick them out. Fix it Bioware!

Thank you for your detailed explanation. This does help a lot, there seems to be a few steps that we missed although none of it really seems intuitive (ie. you have to look it up to know what you're doing) which is just as much of a flaw in the boss fight.

As for everyone else, screw you. It's funny how yet again you guys blame the tank when it's just as much everyone else's fault in the party.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. This does help a lot, there seems to be a few steps that we missed although none of it really seems intuitive (ie. you have to look it up to know what you're doing) which is just as much of a flaw in the boss fight.

As for everyone else, screw you. It's funny how yet again you guys blame the tank when it's just as much everyone else's fault in the party.

If the tank is the ******* getting knocked off I'm gonna blame the tank. If it's the dps I'm gonna blame the dps. Who should we blame for your mistake? The cat?

If the tank is the ******* getting knocked off I'm gonna blame the tank. If it's the dps I'm gonna blame the dps. Who should we blame for your mistake? The cat?
Did you not bother to read anything I wrote? I followed the instructions of someone who ran it before. All three other players on my team also got knocked off in some of our other tries. It's their role to knock him off, yet each time they were busy DPSing and getting him enraged.

Yet it's my fault that we failed the first several times, it's my fault that I tried something different.

Edited by Meluna
rude