Gearing up for PvP in this game is really bad.

spectreclees

:rolleyes:It's technically possible to have both WH Weapons as soon as you hit 50.

3500 Ranked + 2000 Warzone equals out to 4166 Ranked. So the weapons are 2,000 each, leaving you with 166 Ranked left, or 500 Warzone Commendations, which should be able to get you a piece of battlemaster.

Combine this with Recruit Mk-2 and you should be silver if you're competent.

Why are you lying?

WH weapons do NOT cost 2k ranked Warzone comms each. They cost 3400+ each. Not only that, but you are FORCED to purchase BM weapons first BEFORE you can purchase WH weapons. BM weapons are 1500 each so that's another 3k regular comms. You can buy ONE weapon when you turn 50 and then you're left 500 comms and have to grind up another 3400+ RWZ comms and 1k WZ comms. And that is just the weapons. You still have to buy the rest of the set and then comes the Elite War Hero weapons and incoming gear grind which you will need to have WH to turn in for. Don't try to make it appear that the massive grind for WH gear is anything less than it is, because let's face it, it's an incredible time investment especially if your faction loses 90% of the WZ's on your server.

Edited by Eyesmindassassin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you lying?

WH weapons do NOT cost 2k ranked Warzone comms each. They cost 3400+ each. Not only that, but you are FORCED to purchase BM weapons first BEFORE you can purchase WH weapons. BM weapons are 1500 each so that's another 3k regular comms. You can buy ONE weapon when you turn 50 and then you're left 500 comms and have to grind up another 3400+ RWZ comms and 1k WZ comms. And that is just the weapons. You still have to buy the rest of the set and then comes the Elite War Hero weapon and incoming gear grind which you will need to have WH to turn in for. Don't try to make it appear that the massive grind for WH gear is anything less than it is, because let's face it, it's an incredible time investment especially if your faction loses 90% of the WZ's on your server.

I thought they changed WH from 3.4k to 2k and removed the requirement for BM, anyways I have the elite WH so eh.

I mean the patch notes say they reduced the cost of WH main and offhand but I guess that's a typo.

:rolleyes:It's technically possible to have both WH Weapons as soon as you hit 50.

3500 Ranked + 2000 Warzone equals out to 4166 Ranked. So the weapons are 2,000 each, leaving you with 166 Ranked left, or 500 Warzone Commendations, which should be able to get you a piece of battlemaster.

Combine this with Recruit Mk-2 and you should be silver if you're competent.

Yea, it's pretty easy to have a decent amount of gear as soon as you ding 50. It's what I just did this morning (and I didn't even have maxxed comms):

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=540922

Heh, brings me back to old times where you had to gather 4-7 people to make a party, and hack n slash mobs for 3 hours just to get rec for item, then 6 hours of slashing to get special mats to make few of those items, then scavenging on market for cheap matts or more grind for 'normal materials', and in the end, only 60% chance of success

not complaining, it just makes me giggle when people are saying it's long and hard here....

Sounds like Lineage 2 :)

Edited by Injudicator

Since they removed the requirement for WH weapons and reduced the commendations, it's actually possible to have

around 1,100 expertise as soon as you hit 50. (I'll have 1,103 which is 21.36% damage boost, 17.60 damage reduction, and 11.78% heal boost, and about 15.8k HP.)

Save up 3,500 Ranked comms.

Save up 2,000 Warzone comms.

Buy the WH mainhand which leaves you at 1,500 RWZ comms.

I bought the boots and headpiece with my WZ comms, which is 1,950 in total. Transfer the remaining RWZ comms over to WZ comms and buy the Battlemaster offhand for 1550. Or whatever piece(s) you want.

Honestly, the gear gap isn't that bad. It's your own fault if you're in a warzone without any decent gear.

Edited by Ovan_Oh-One

lawl, you know what was worse? Saving up all those shiny commendations, buying a box that MAY have a direct trade token but most likely will not. The gear grind now is FAR better than it was at launch. At least now you can get your gear relative to time invested where as before it was complete chance and frustrating. Edited by Devilk

Sounds like Lineage 2 :)

Bingo.

Sweet old times.

Prodobly wouldn't work now, with full time job, family, life, etc.

Even in need for speed, (like most wanted for example) you some times had to do extra races to buy that new tires and engine from shop, or new car + upgrades...

Gearing up in most other games is much harder. It's even harder in panda land wow. I don't like grinds either but you get to play while you earn comms. The whole point isn't the goal, it's the journey. If it was any easier they would have to hand out BM and that sounds ridiculous considering WH isn't any significant advantage over BM.

If they do anything it should be allowing a player to carry 3000 regular WZ comms instead of 2000.

why do people want everything handed to them? there needs to be a carrot... or else no one will do pvp simple as that. pvp for the sake of pvp gets boring pretty fast. GW2 boring style.

Maybe for a carebear like you.

The timing of this post is really odd, since as of 1.4 the grind is easier than it has ever been. WH off hands have a 61 armoring that isn't slot restricted for 2k rwz comms. If you're lucky, that off hand even has a mod and enhancement with power on it and you're golden.

carebear? right... so you would pvp just for the sake of pvp? after 1 month u would be fed up or not even that, better play unreal tournament or something if you want that... Mr pro pvper 2012

Thought in UT you had to go and collect your weapons after each death? or was that old school grind in 2001?

and that gear grind in counter strike. only true pvp was mobile forces :)

I think the problem with the gear in this game is that it creates a barrier to entry for new players/characters. I did the RNG boxes back in the day and ended up full BM before the change was made. I have grinded out 3 sets of min/max'ed WH Gear across 2 characters. I hear people say that recruit gear makes you competitive but that is far from true. Here is an example from my new sniper. In full recruit gear he sits at just under 15k hp. A fully augmented min/maxed Jug can smash him for 7k. That's ~50% of his life. The follow up force scream is usually 3-6k. in 2 global cooldowns, he is reduced to 30% or less of his hitpoints. The same moves landed on a full WH player would take away around 5k for smash and 2 or 4k for the scream if it crits. The difference is the additional 5k hitpoints that wh + augments add. Tthis means that they lost, at most, 40-45% of their hitpoints.

I am all for their being rewards for playing more, winning, etc, but when it creates an environment where people quit instead of trying to "gear up" , it needs to be reevaluated.

1. I say get rid of expertise. Its a silly stat and makes the formula more complicated than it needs to be.

2. If gear must be a reward then rebalance PVP and PVE gear to be similar. Let them keep their unique looks. Create more teirs of PVP gear to compensate and tie them to valor level. Make it where someone who pve's all the time be able to drop into a warzone and be competitive. Who cares if you get some "cross over" due to someone getting gear from PVE and then doing PVP or vice-versa. Either way, they still put time into the game so let them enjoy every aspect of said game.

3. Give some cosmetic/convience perks to PVP'ing. Add some adaptive armor or unique weapons that can only be purchaed when valor is a certain level. Let us buy some neat items too as we valor up. Speed buffs, teleports, and what not.

4. Make it to where we can afford to play the aspect of the game we want to play. I think if a player wants to only pvp, he shouldn't have to do dailies, or pay auction house PVP to be able to afford ripping out mods, respec'ing and what not. Doing these things should speed up the process, no question, but throw us a bone.

I have a lot of sympathy for your viewpoint, but, Expertise exists purely so that PVE gear isn't required for PVP, and PVP gear isn't used to replace PVE. (PVP weapons are still the easiest ways to get a top-end barrel or hilt, even accounting for the "wasted" expertise, but that is more due to the fact that BW have made weapons too rare, basically by 1 rank -- a raid that generally drops Columi gear should not drop a Tionese weapon, and so on). Scrapping Expertise would damage both PVE and PVP.

However, the disparity in survivability between a fully augmented war hero and a new player in recruit-2 is just far too wide, and will be sure to put off any new players trying PVP for the first time. (New characters of a player with an experienced PVP character will already expect the brutal near-instakills and will just grind on through). This has been acknowledged by the Developers in a post on the main site -- they talked in terms of adjusting the difference via a level 50 Bolster, but clearly this isn't live in 1.4. The question is whether such a thing will be in place to prevent the killing-off the any possible enjoyment new players get from level 50 PVP.

Edited by Ancaglon

If you can't take the pvp gear "grind", then MMO's aren't for you my son .. To be honest, this is one of the easiest grinds I have ever took part in ...

You sir, are a lackey!

Grinding for gear i dont care about. But when it is at the point where you have to do something for a week that is not fun and is very frustrating just to get to the point where you can be on the lower cusp of being competitive is where the problem is.

You don't bowl against your uncle that used to be a pro because there isn't any fun in getting smashed. Actually having a chance to win is where the fun is. Not spending half a warzone in time out or running from time out back to the action.

As i have said, i have two WH geared characters, one valor 97 and the other 89. I have put alot of time into this game and getting my gear. I would not have a problem at all if characters were given a free set of war hero instead of recruit. Just as long as it looked butt ugly.

My point is, new/average skill players are still going to lose to those with more skill in equal/similar gear. I would just like it to be more fun for them. i would like to see them keep trying instead of stop playing. Lets face it, you see someone in full recruit gear on your team and you look at it as pretty much being a 7vs8 situation. Have more than one and the majority of warzones end early due people quitting and re-queuing.

Two wrongs do not make a right. Both systems are honestly bad, but I myself prefer horizontal progression over vertical. I think it allows for designing around /FUN/. Content that's worth doing over not to grind but because it's fun and people enjoy it.

At least we got loads of free WZ medpacks and adrenals back then. :)

Yep, gambling was waaaaaay more fun than this. At least you could get everything in a month or two even with bad luck. Now it's months and months and then you have one set for one spec on one character and 4 months wasted.