Add Cosmetic Aging

MigkadeGulseak

With the amount there is to do, it feels weird that our characters still look exactly the same as they did at the beginning of the story e.g. my Jedi Master looks the same as he did as a Padawan. Adding something minor like wrinkles would add detail and show that they don't look perfect after all that they've done :D.

I suggest that there is an option to toggle aging on/off like dark side corruption so that it's optional for those who wouldn't want it.

Just to be clear on this: how much aging do you think characters need? Bear in mind that it's about ten, maybe eleven, years in-game time from the beginning on Korriban/Ord Mantell/Hutta/Tython to the end of Onslaught. Kaliyo should be about 39, maybe 40, instead of 29 (as noted in the Agent's codex entry), for example.

Just to be clear on this: how much aging do you think characters need? Bear in mind that it's about ten, maybe eleven, years in-game time from the beginning on Korriban/Ord Mantell/Hutta/Tython to the end of Onslaught. Kaliyo should be about 39, maybe 40, instead of 29 (as noted in the Agent's codex entry), for example.

Well if someone's role-playing Sheev in the latest movie, no amount of wrinkles would be enough.

Note: I read the thread title wrong, thought it said "Add Cosmic Aging" and then realized in some cases there probably isn't a difference.

Chronologically it's been about 13 years.

Which means biologically for the PCs it's been about 8 years.

So this puts our characters in their mid-upper 20s. Little early for wrinkles. The physical differences in age in this range are typically quite subtle, and would be largely impossible with the texture system we have.

Chronologically it's been about 13 years.

Which means biologically for the PCs it's been about 8 years.

So this puts our characters in their mid-upper 20s. Little early for wrinkles. The physical differences in age in this range are typically quite subtle, and would be largely impossible with the texture system we have.

You're assuming that all people play all their characters as if they're young padawans. We've white hair and beards in the game, so if you want to role-play an old grizzled wizard from the very beginning, and how many screen shots do you want to see of NPCs in the chapter stories with a ton of wrinkles? Bring on the wrinkles!

Edited by xordevoreaux

You're assuming that all people play all their characters as if they're young padawans. We've white hair and beards in the game, so if you want to role-play an old grizzled wizard from the very beginning, and how many screen shots do you want to see of NPCs in the chapter stories with a ton of wrinkles? Bring on the wrinkles!

The Jedi classes are stated as being young. SW as well.

That being said, really any age bracket is not going to see drastic aging over only 8 years

I got no objection to adding wrinkles or other aging options to the appearance designer (people can suspend disbelief and role-play whatever they want then. And more options is always good), but having a dynamic aging system for only 8 years? Too much effort, too little reward (assuming such subtle differences can even be expressed by the textures)

The Jedi classes are stated as being young. SW as well.

That being said, really any age bracket is not going to see drastic aging over only 8 years

I got no objection to adding wrinkles or other aging options to the appearance designer (people can suspend disbelief and role-play whatever they want then. And more options is always good), but having a dynamic aging system for only 8 years? Too much effort, too little reward (assuming such subtle differences can even be expressed by the textures)

Actually! It's been 14 years, not 8. We start in 10 ATC namely and the current year ingame is 24 ATC. But 14 years is indeed not that much time to add a lot of wrinkles.

That said, it would be nice to have appearance customization options that can add wrinkles to our characters for RP purposes.

Edited by Ylliarus

Actually! It's been 14 years, not 8. We start in 10 ATC namely and the current year ingame is 24 ATC. But 14 years is indeed not that much time to add a lot of wrinkles.

That said, it would be nice to have appearance customization options that can add wrinkles to our characters for RP purposes.

Yes but do the 5 years in carbonite count as well ? Do the character still age while frozen in carbonite ?

If not, they're physically 5 years younger than their actual age.

I'd not mind a few appearance options to make characters look older though. I'd probably not use them, but they'd still be there for people who want to.

Bingo! *This* is the reason for it, not the passage of in-game narrative time.

Aye, but if I recall correctly, the feature of having such an appearance customization option has already been asked for, for years :p perhaps one day we'll finally get it in some new appearance customization pack.

Yes but do the 5 years in carbonite count as well ? Do the character still age while frozen in carbonite ?

If not, they're physically 5 years younger than their actual age.

I'd not mind a few appearance options to make characters look older though. I'd probably not use them, but they'd still be there for people who want to.

Well, that's the question, isn't it? Because, if all goes well with carbon freezing then indeed, the person shouldn't have their body aging. However, our characters' carbon freezings were supposedly imperfect (although granted it's Valkorion saying it, so we can fully trust him), which had led to the poisoning we need to be cured of by Lana in chapter 3.

Aye, but if I recall correctly, the feature of having such an appearance customization option has already been asked for, for years :p perhaps one day we'll finally get it in some new appearance customization pack.

For sure. I've been at least following the forums since 2013, and there have been occasional(1) calls for an age slider of some sort during the whole of that time.

I'd guess that by now, it's on the crazier end of the "wall of crazy" because the crew who built that part of the game are long gone, and the "launch-time" code is known to be a crazy mess of tangled flooflah. But hey, if they find a way to do it without breaking things, sure, go to it!

(1) It's by no means "frequent", but it's not "never" either.

Aye, I recall. Tbh, I have campaigned for a Dark Side corruption slider in the past as well, although I have long since abandoned that crusade as it's clear it's unlikely to happen. Luckily, we got the yellow Sith eyes as an appearance customization option. Now, if only those eyes could also be made available to the Twi'lek, I'd be happy as a clam... but what I'm trying to say with that is, that while an age slider seems unlikely, wrinkled appearance customization options might be introduced in the future. Edited by Ylliarus

Bingo! *This* is the reason for it, not the passage of in-game narrative time.

with certain (probably only human, not sure TBH) options, you can make a player look aged, I've a couple who look old, one even looks like one of the npc's on hutta, (that gives you the mission to recover the briefcase). More options, especially for other spieces would be great

I've a couple who look old, one even looks like one of the npc's on hutta,

NPCs having wrinkles instantly tells you that they're older. With players, you would be able to tell the difference between chars who are supposed to have dyed white hair as opposed to chars who are supposed to look older than 20/30ish.