Raise Server Population Caps

Posiden

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raising caps will only make for tons of problem. A server can only hold so many account at a time. Going over that will crash the server or very bad lag.

QFT!

And if they start enough new servers to have no queues at all now, they will have too many half empty servers later.

Why? Because people play at lot more directly at launch than later. To have a proper population when the game settles down they must accept overload now.

then what ever the case... Add more servers... They know how many pre - orders they have. They should AT THE VERY LEAST have enough god damn room for them, but what ever. they got more important things to do than answer to us. or even than to let us know whats going on... We are miniscule compared to them. We mean nothing... Oh wait... We are there customers and pay there pay checks ? Well they should Step up to the plate

QFT!

And if they start enough new servers to have no queues at all now, they will have too many half empty servers later.

Why? Because people play at lot more directly at launch than later. To have a proper population when the game settles down they must accept overload now.

You either add new servers for the worry that a wave of new people come in, or you do as you suggested and have a heavy population after some subs die out.

Either way it's an extremely hard balancing act to make.

Edited by Jaku

The only reason I find the whole queue situation odd (for this MMO because we all know most MMO launches are like this) is because the staggered launch was essentially supposed to avoid these kinds of problems. Why have a staggered launch so that 50% of your customers can play for only a few extra days without ques,crashes,etc and leave the rest of the 50% behind gameplay wise because of late entry and left with hour long ques, etc (as well as the original 50% at this point).

Why stagger a launch like this when we knew it was going to be this bad towards the end of the "pre-phase" and obviously just as bad or worse come late launch (the 20th)?

I can't logically figure out the point of pre-launch staggering currently. I didn't mind the wait at all either, I just don't see any real logic behind it (especially when every MMO in history has done it differently - for obvious reasons - and SWTOR had one of the biggest stress test weekends of any MMO in history).

I know that it was probably great for the 50% of early pre-order customers but in reality not everyone can always order at exact time/dates for various reasonable explanations and since we know the servers are going to be hammered just as much regardless of staggering or not it doesn't make much sense overall.

Oh well. Gives us an hour or hour and a half to blow up there forums... Either way... I think they should find some way to fix the queue timers... it would end up lagging the servers just as bad... either having them log in faster... or having them on the forums blowing it up...

well.. i have made it down to Position 451 now... And it hasn't given me a server error and kicked me yet.... * crosses fingers * i sure hope i get in sometime tonight... Is there a way to make a macro or something to keep your char logged in ? so you dont have to log out... like ever ??? when i go to bed, id like to just leave it... so i can wake up, and not have to deal with this crap all day long.

Over 70+ US servers and most of them have queues.

I've already gotten my Trooper through Coruscant, I don't want to re-roll. Please do something to fix this issue.

Thanks.

While I understand your frustration, from working in IT, raising server cap is really not a solution. Typically, most companies dealing with servers know the capacity of the servers and after the testing Bioware/EA did during beta, I am sure they do. My point is if they raise server population cap, it is only going to get more full leading to more people on leading to lag in a lot of areas and a poor gaming experience. Better solution is to add more servers and encourage players to go there. It is still early in the EGA/launch process and while some people do not want to re-roll due to friends and guilds, raising server population is NOT the solution.

QFT!

I am sorry but, you need to QFT. What you said is inaccurate and I am guessing u are not familiar with server/IT/analytical industry in general. Bioware is doing it correctly by adding servers slowly but surely. If they add too many, then yes, you will have half full unpopulated servers. But if they do not add enough, full queues will exist. ATM, Bioware needs to add a few new servers. The person you quoted and said to stop trolling to actually makes sense. Raising server pop just adds to poor game play and a lot of lag. Trust me, I have seen it first hand.

Edited by clocknane

Couldnt they just cluster servers as 1 and remove a node when its not needed?

Didnt CCP do something like this with eve? Didnt they provide more resources to higher populated areas etc?

Edited by Mob-wan

I would personally think... they could use another 30-50 servers... Sure ... the population will go down... eventually.. Or " Settle " as you put it... but i bet you the servers " Settle " a hell of alot faster if they are all full and with 2 hour Queue times . LOL.. Or more like.. People will say.. F this.... All the servers are full.. and this is Just the Pre- Orders... So yes.. they DEFIANTLY should have more servers... Or they just dont want that many people to play the game. Plain and simple as that... they know if they got per say. 3 million pre orders out.. and they hould have the Room to at LEAST .. VERY LEAST... Hold thoes 3 million online all at once... or what ever number of pre orders they have... cause when the retail copys go out also.. it should be alot higher... and think.. if they had room for all the people to play.. they would have more people playing ... right ? dont that make sense ? Leave some room for Expanding ? wouldn't they want the game to be awesome and want people to bring there friends ? they should be thinking the other way.. that the game is going to get BIGGER , and not get SMALLER . especially on there launch date... I know i pre order'd but none of my friends have the game yet... but i know of at least 5-6 of my friends that will be playing.... But im going to tell them to hold off for a bit. i dont want them to waste there money , and not be able to play

i dont know... i dont see whats so hard... if u sell how ever many copys, you should plan on that ammount of people playing... or at least 75 % of that number bieng online at once... Not hope that out of the 5 million people or what ever... That they all only play for an hour or two a day... Most people this is the case.. but some people play for a couple hours... or 8-10 hours.. or some play 18-20 hour shifts.. Bio ware. pull your head out of your *** .

Couldnt they just cluster servers as 1 and remove a node when its not needed?

Clustering would only solve the problem of queue times by adding nodes for each server. If multiple servers are clustered together and anything happens to one node, most cluster systems have a tendency of registering the whole cluster as 'offline'. Now if each server were a cluster of nodes, they could have more population in general on the server with people playing on each node on the cluster. It might even help the lag a lot of people (myself included) are experiencing. Just my two credits, and I believe that BW is clearly aware of this and has something planned to fix the issues closer to or after full launch.

EDIT: taking this from personal experience working as a DBA for major credit card company.

Edited by Meage

Frustrating to be suddenly disconnected and then forced to wait 45 minutes to wait. I wonder if my group will still be there waiting for me to reconnect(?)!!! :mad:

BW, seriously, the server caps need to be increased. This is the second time today the game has suddenly crashed. Each time I have had over a 30 minute wait to get back into the game. Not cool.....

Well bioware is obviously monitoring the servers, because i got kicked out from an employee... cause of my rage... And i would say im entitled and just... i cant play my main that ive spent hours on working on, because these servers are all full . As im sure they are probably reading these forums and messages. and just choosing to ignore us... <3

Well bioware is obviously monitoring the servers, because i got kicked out from an employee... cause of my rage... And i would say im entitled and just... i cant play my main that ive spent hours on working on, because these servers are all full . As im sure they are probably reading these forums and messages. and just choosing to ignore us... <3

Yeah I know ... I logged off for a couple of hours and now its a 40+ minute wait, ***. It was only a 20 person queue before I left lol