1 Million Damage Screenshot, 1100+ dps

Aluvi

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off grats to both of you guys on that damage. I know it's not the easiest thing in the world.

Btw, the lesson I took from both screenshots isn't that Rage mara is OP, but rather that having several good healers on the other team putting out lots of healing, combined with full length voidstars leads to good damage. Having lolsmash helps buff the numbers a bit, but don't anyone kid themselves. The damage is definitely a great accomplishment but a large amount of it is due to the healers on the OTHER side. If they hadn't been there, those matches wouldn't have that much damage (and probably wouldn't last as long since people would just be tearing through while on attack.

Anyway grats to both of you dirty ID jerks! Gotta tip my hat to ya, though Aluvi is right about those healers having a lot to do with it =P

It's amazing that you could put up such numbers (and not just big overall, but big as a percent of everyone's damage, which helps show that it wasn't just because no one ever died), AND win easily and yet people still find things to complain about.

The dude who said it was less impressive because you "only" have 54 kills doesn't seem to know how the scoreboard works. Since you had a such a high percent of your team's damage, and since kills (especially in Voidstar) is somewhat a team stat, of course your damage to kill ratio will be high.

I'll assume you were smart about objectives, since that's hard to judge from a scoreboard besides seeing that your team won, so anyone who says otherwise is guessing.

And as for Smash spec being so easy - sure, it's a lot easier than it was and it does too much damage, but if it was so easy to play at a high level, you'd see more people breaking one million. I've still only ever personally witnessed one person break a million and it was a powertech in an extended Novare (pre-1.4).

Thank you, nice to see someone that understands. Yes, I always go for objectives when it matters. I am in one of the best (arguably THE best) rated team on Shadowlands. We ultimately care about winning. It's rare that I break 600k in a rated game because we are always doing things like setting up chain passes and positioning for huttball, providing predation for ball carriers / teammates to get to nodes or run ball faster, etc. Damage and kills are secondary. The most impressive thing I have ever seen was back when I was still a PvP noob and we went against a huttball premade of 100% tanks and heals. They didn't kill us - they ignored us, and scored 6 times in a row without blinking. It didn't matter how much dps we had, because they were just too solid on strat.

In this particular game, I believe I got the first door and provided 3 predations to get our people ahead of theirs to get next door. I also recall planting for the last door, and we got the datacore with 1 second left on the clock. Was intense. As you can see on the screenshot, they didn't get past the bridge. I'd say that's pretty successful for a PUG in terms of objectives.

ANd maybe this why Smash needs to be toned down? A Sniper (other pure dps class) can't do that so why should you?

See quote below:

Someone has to be able to hit the hardest, pop the biggest numbers, etc.. That, in and of itself, does not make that class OP'd. Snipers have lots of CC that the rage marauder doesn't.

Not to mention having an inherent advantage due to being ranged, and being a direct counter to marauders due to cover giving them anti charge. I'm not really here to argue whether or not my class or spec is imba or not though. I started playing marauder 5 days before launch in the pre launch and haven't looked back since. When I initially got to 50 in the first week of release, I was worried because basically everyone had some notion that marauders were the lowest dps and in general had no real place in PvE or PvP. Believe it or not, back in those days Marauders were considered the underdog.

You also had a healer with 600k healing who I assume was healing ur butt the whole game

Indeed I did, his name is Ravinder and he is an amazing healer. In a rated game that we did, I only got 620k damage, but he had well over 700k healing. Talk about carrying.

Damage is directly correlated with the amount of healing on the opposing team. In this case, the guy did 1mill damage because the other team had 4+ healers. Had he actually been killing people, his damage would have been a lot lower and his kill count being a lot higher.

His kill count was only 54 (who knows how many killing blows) which is abysmal for how much damage he did. If anything, this shows the healers on the other team did a good job of healing through his pad-aoe and denying him KBs.

Fact is, damage numbers are meaningless without kills to back them up. Actually killing people is all that matters: and in this case most of his damage was healed through by the other team.

I have to disagree with you. Rage spec, by it's very nature, is extremely good at getting killing blows. I think you also misunderstand the "kill" count on scoreboards and how it works. You see, if you participate in killing someone in ANY way, if you do even 1 damage to them, or heal a person attacking for 1 health, you have participated in the kill and you get credit for it. You notice that my healer got 55 kills? Do you think that while he was healing for 600k+ that he managed to get 55 killing blows on people? No, he got credit because he was healing. So there's that statement debunked.

Now on to your next statement, that 54 killing blows is "abysmal for how much damage I did". You would be correct, if this was a normal game with 1-2 healers. In fact, in such a game with less healers, I doubt I could hit 1 million. That does not mean that the damage I did was any less valid. Let's take me out of the equation. Let's say I wasn't there. Their healers combined damage was over 1.5 million. I did 1 million damage by myself. The healer I was with did over 600k healing. The two of us effectively cancelled out their healing with damage and our own teams healing. What do you think would have happened if we weren't there? I'll tell you: Our team would not have been able to kill enough people on one side in order to get the door.

At one point during this game, I was attacking 3 healers at once, all within smash range, for about 30 seconds. It was all that they could do for that 30 seconds to keep my primary target + themselves alive, until finally, another dps helped me and we got a cc on one sorc and managed to burn one down, after that they all died. But for those 30 seconds, I was effectively cancelling out 3 of their most important players, and ultimately ended up killing them. Yes, they were doing a healing circle jerk, and it was hard to kill them. Does that make the fact that I tied them up for so long and ended up killing them eventually any less effective? No. If I hadn't been on them, it would not have allowed my team to take out their dps, which they did. Now granted, I would much rather have had our teams other dps assisting me on the healers, but hey, it's a pug; pugs aren't renowned for their brilliance.

Finally I just want to reiterate; had we not had someone pushing out heavy damage, 4 healers would have been sufficient to simply keep their entire team alive and our team would have lost. I don't care what spec you are, with 4 healers on the opposing team, you are going to have a difficult time killing anyone without extremely good focus fire and burst.

Edited by Aluvi

I have to disagree with you. Rage spec, by it's very nature, is extremely good at getting killing blows. I think you also misunderstand the "kill" count on scoreboards and how it works. You see, if you participate in killing someone in ANY way, if you do even 1 damage to them, or heal a person attacking for 1 health, you have participated in the kill and you get credit for it. You notice that my healer got 55 kills? Do you think that while he was healing for 600k+ that he managed to get 55 killing blows on people? No, he got credit because he was healing. So there's that statement debunked.

I don't think you read my post clearly. I said 54 "kills" not "killing blows" - I understand the difference. My point was you only contributed to 54 kills the entire game, so it wasn't a very impressive game. How many of those were actual killing blows from you? Kills and KBs are a better indicator of skill and dominance, not damage that is healed through. Like I said before, showing a screenshot where you have 100+ kills or 50+ kbs would be much more impressive.

Now on to your next statement, that 54 killing blows is "abysmal for how much damage I did". You would be correct, if this was a normal game with 1-2 healers. In fact, in such a game with less healers, I doubt I could hit 1 million. That does not mean that the damage I did was any less valid. Let's take me out of the equation. Let's say I wasn't there. Their healers combined damage was over 1.5 million. I did 1 million damage by myself. The healer I was with did over 600k healing. The two of us effectively cancelled out their healing with damage and our own teams healing. What do you think would have happened if we weren't there? I'll tell you: Our team would not have been able to kill enough people on one side in order to get the door.

At one point during this game, I was attacking 3 healers at once, all within smash range, for about 30 seconds. It was all that they could do for that 3 seconds to keep my primary target + themselves alive, until finally, another dps helped me and we got a cc on one sorc and managed to burn one down, after that they all died. But for those 30 seconds, I was effectively cancelling out 3 of their most important players, and ultimately ended up killing them. Yes, they were doing a healing circle jerk, and it was hard to kill them. Does that make the fact that I tied them up for so long and ended up killing them eventually any less effective? No. If I hadn't been on them, it would not have allowed my team to take out their dps, which they did. Now granted, I would much rather have had our teams other dps assisting me on the healers, but hey, it's a pug; pugs aren't renowned for their brilliance.

Finally I just want to reiterate; had we not had someone pushing out heavy damage, 4 healers would have been sufficient to simply keep their entire team alive and our team would have lost. I don't care what spec you are, with 4 healers on the opposing team, you are going to have a difficult time killing anyone without extremely good focus fire and burst.

I understand what you're saying. In terms of how you performed you did well under the circumstances, and obviously you got the win so you weren't just "damage farming".

My point was that dealing a large amount of damage is meaningless when the Damage : Kill ratio is so low. Anyone's damage is going to be extremely inflated when you're facing a heavy healer team. This also isn't exclusive to Rage spec - almost every class can put up those kinds of numbers under the right conditions. So my post was also directed to those qq'ing about Rage spec being OP. People need to learn to start reading the score board and understanding what those numbers mean. So much of it has to do with team composition and winning conditions (Voidstar in this case) that the scoreboard really doesn't tell the whole story.

Edited by Cial

My record kills on a full voidstar was 75 with my sentinel. The reason for which I kiled 75 was the constant use of zen in watchman that was healing the whole team. So number of kills is not always a good reference of performance. This marauder was smash so zen did not inflate his number of kills.

Alright Cialy, I think we both agree that more healers on the opposing team usually means that your team gets to do more damage.

Now what I would like to know, is how you would have done things differently, with a different class or spec, and why that makes my damage invalid. If there are 4 healers on the other team, they are going to do a lot of healing, and it is going to take a lot longer to kill a single person. I think we agree on this yes? In fact, it may come to the point where the only way that we kill their team is to keep going until the healers run out of resources. In a said situation, how is doing high damage a bad thing?

I have only 3 specs available: Anni, Carnage, Rage.

Anni dots do 40-50% of the specs damage and get cleansed by healers, negating effectiveness. The spec also lacks the big burst of other specs. With 4 healers, killing anyone with annihiilation would be a real chore.

Carnage is great, on bad players. On good players, you will never get off a full gore ravage scream or gore massacre x2 scream. The fact is, this spec gets shut down by good play, and after every marauder went carnage in 1.3 for a prolonged period, people are pretty damn good at shutting it down.

That leaves Rage. Rage has big burst, no denying it - Try Force Crush, Ravage (even just 2 ticks), smash, choke, vicious slash. And that's single target burst I am speaking of. Hell, just vicious slashing for 2-3.5k per hit every GCD while force crush builds stacks until smash, and hitting those 3-5k vicious throws is good burst, let alone smash.

So what did I do wrong? You seem to think that there is some magical spec/class that can consistently take out people on teams that have 4 healers in a pug while preventing said healers from doing any healing. I'd like to know what this class/AC is so I can reroll to it.

I will agree with you though, that getting these kinds of numbers without significant healing on the other team is probably not possible, primarily due to the fact that there is too much downtime while waiting for others to respawn after you kill them. It's not as if I would smash a group and then let them go so I could smash them again later, or intentionally not finish people off so that I could pad more later. I was killing as fast as my spec and class would allow.

Let me put it this way: If I did 1 million healing in a warzone (and assuming none of that was consumption + heal spam), would you say "well obviously the other team just had really good dps, which allowed your team to take enough damage for you to heal them"? Would you say "your heals obviously were inflation because you let 20 people die over the course of the game"? Somehow I doubt it.

Edited by Aluvi

Carnage is great, on bad players. On good players, you will never get off a full gore ravage scream or gore massacre x2 scream. The fact is, this spec gets shut down by good play, and after every marauder went carnage in 1.3 for a prolonged period, people are pretty damn good at shutting it down.

I won't comment on the rest, but this is a great bit of rubbish that I see thrown around a lot. As if seeing an arrow flying straight towards your face somehow alters its trajectory. Rage telegraphs as much or more then carnage, in fact this is the exact argument I believe that was used during 1.2. Rage is shut down by good players. Rage's play style hasn't substantially changed beyond marauders now having access to absurd amount of resources, it just got stronger. You can argue all day that carnage is 'shut down by good players' but at the end of the day it's just that rage is overpowered. I respecced from carnage this morning throwing an average of 750dps too just shy of 1000dps in rage. It's run because it's strong. It doesn't need any justification beyond that.

I won't comment on the rest, but this is a great bit of rubbish that I see thrown around a lot. As if seeing an arrow flying straight towards your face somehow alters its trajectory. Rage telegraphs as much or more then carnage, in fact this is the exact argument I believe that was used during 1.2. Rage is shut down by good players. Rage's play style hasn't substantially changed beyond marauders now having access to absurd amount of resources, it just got stronger. You can argue all day that carnage is 'shut down by good players' but at the end of the day it's just that rage is overpowered. I respecced from carnage this morning throwing an average of 750dps too just shy of 1000dps in rage. It's run because it's strong. It doesn't need any justification beyond that.

You claim that rage is shut down by good players. Tell me how please. I'd like to know. Carnage only requires any stun, cc, vanish, or similar move to interrupt its 6 second pain chain. With the plethora of short and medium-short cooldown stuns, ccs, knockbacks, vanish type moves, etc, I feel like I am rolling the dice every time I hit gore. By the time you have exhausted the enemy players counter moves, you end up dead.

Now on the other hand, if you stun/cc/snare/knockback a rage marauder, you delay their smash, but it's still going to happen, and then you're going to get force choked, beaten down with vicious slash, and smashed again + vicious throw. Rage is not rotation based so much as priority based, and the priority system, similar to annihlation, does not get broken by being interrupted with stuns and what not.

Maybe it's just me, but when I go carnage, 9 times out of 10 I will be incapacitated in some form directly after using carnage, and to me that is excessively frustrating gameplay. I never even let a ravage go full duration anymore as carnage because it always gets interrupted. Better to cut it off at 1.5 and use force scream to make sure you get it off.

After having played every class there is in this game, I have to say: nice & gz.

While marauders/sentinel is one of the easier classes to do 'decent dmg' with, it is one of the hardest to properly master.

Only players that truly know what they're doing reach over 1k dps. Whether it's in carnage, anni (although quite rare) or rage

It's not 'just because of the spec' that he manages to reach this dmg, it takes quite some skill to pull of as well.

After having played every class there is in this game, I have to say: nice & gz.

While marauders/sentinel is one of the easier classes to do 'decent dmg' with, it is one of the hardest to properly master.

Only players that truly know what they're doing reach over 1k dps. Whether it's in carnage, anni (although quite rare) or rage

It's not 'just because of the spec' that he manages to reach this dmg, it takes quite some skill to pull of as well.

Thank you, it's nice to see people that actually understand the combination of luck, skill, and dedication it takes to break 1 mill. The stars have to align basically, and for once, they did.

You didn't do anything wrong.

You made a thread to brag, and I'm pointing out why it's not that big of a deal, based on my aforementioned reasons.

Then post something similar if it isn't "that big of a deal"? I've played with and against Aluvian and Merkave (on my PTech- Kagetora) and that usually means it's a good day or a very bad one. On their own they can change the course of a WZ, and baby Jesus forbid any other of the ID players queue with them. I'll never post those numbers, but I'm cool with that, although I'll keep trying (460K 2 WH pieces). Difference is, you're not as l33t as you think you are and have to tear someone else's achievement down. It's just ol' fashioned azzhattery on your part.

First, congrats on hitting that 1 mil mark. I was close on novara coast once but I had to go east 3 times to support. Ended up with 837k dmg. At the time I had 1 tweaked enhancement.

Second it cracks me up when people hate on this and say "so what it requires no skill". Really? Those that say that care to chime in and explain how your class requires more skill? I have 4 50's (a scoundrel healer, powertech, assassin and my marauder). I've played all 3 builds on my scoundrel, assassin, marauder and two builds on my powertech. There is not one class or build I have that I feel requires any more/less skill then the other class or build. If you think another class or build requires more skill then you need to spend more time with the other class/build.

Cracks me up when people hate on people that roll the op build for their class. If you're doing reg wz you'd be a fool not to try it out. When your class gets a buff are you not going to use the buff?

LOL... I would love to have a full length VS against all those healers in smash spec. Pretty much the ideal situation for you. People always complain about there being no healers on our server.... looks as if yours DOES NOT have that problem. :D

And to all who are QQ'ing about marauder... smash spec.... easy mode DPS blah blah blah... Do it then. If it's that easy.... roll one and copy that. While rage/focus IS an easy spec to play... I would be willing to bet that 9/10 people complaining about how OP it is and more blah blah blah.... could NOT duplicate this even if given this perfect situation.

*Waves hand in a jedi like manner.

"This isn't the thread you are looking for."

What, you think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian. Mind tricks donnat work on me. Only NERFS!!!

:D

How many times would you guess you used VS?