Training Costs are a Thing of the Past

EricMusco

Fair question azudelphi! Since the change we are making is a global one, affecting all players and skills, we felt this was a better approach to the overall cost to players. As a result, we will not be providing refunds for the cost of training.

Hope that clarifies our thoughts on the situation.

-eric

It gives a straightforward answer to the question posed. That's all I was hoping for. Cheers for the response.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

Let’s talk a bit about training costs for your characters abilities. One thing has become clear from the player feedback in not only this thread, but since launch: players do not like training costs. It is a situation where every level you will see your hard earned credits go to a holographic Hutt doctor in order to make yourself a bit stronger. We have been talking about this topic internally for quite some time and when you add player feedback to the mix one thing becomes clear… We should make training costs a thing of the past.

Since launch, you have spent millions of credits training skills across your characters. As of our maintenance next week all ability training costs will be completely removed from the game, forever!

What does this mean for you? This means that starting next week, instead of spending your credits on training skills, you can now spend them on literally, anything else you want. Note that this only affects ability training, you will still need to spend credits to training schematics for Crew Skills, etc.

Thank you again for your feedback.

-eric

Eric (and Team),

Thank you! As one of the players (since closed beta) who is not a multimillionaire.. this is great news.. I had characters who (because of leveling with 12x XP) didn't have enough credits to even train all the abilities they had to relearn at 55, let alone the 50k for crew skills... This means that (after Tuesday), I'll actually be able to afford to level up my characters.

Thank you for listening to us, and for addressing it in both a reasonable time, and a reasonable way.

so early access gets ****ed and spends millions of credits training abilities and then people that didn't pre-order the expansion get an added benefit that the early access players didn't get. This is ********. I'm glad for other people, obviously, but this is terrible for pre-order people that just wasted millions of credits. GG

Fair question azudelphi! Since the change we are making is a global one, affecting all players and skills, we felt this was a better approach to the overall cost to players. As a result, we will not be providing refunds for the cost of training.

-eric

Thanks for shafting us for pre ordering early!

Yeah, I did it in the first reply. Personally I don't care either way, I swear it's the guildies who apparently dropped like 1 mil credits on training going from 56-60 that I ask on behalf of; given that short window in which this change is being implemented compared to when they spent that.

But, as I said, it's not that I personally want anything back.

i'm not going to turn away a raise or free stuff. Just think it was pointless to complain about it to begin with. I was trying to figure out how paying for them the last 2 years suddenly made it less fun than playing last month. Money was never an issue except for a few 1.0 times on a fresh toon and piloting 3 was uber expensive (they have since nerfed that a bit too). Will i turn down free skills no. Am I going to demand they make me pay for them no. Would I rather they spend their development time on something that really is an issue, probably. Did I just dump a BUNCH of money into the CM which probably covered a good hour or two of dev time YUP! So its their dollar at this point.

Just let this be a lesson for future, give someone free stuff, expect lots of mitch and boaning when it gets taken away....Probably they will think harder about what "perks" they give since taking them away seems to rub people raw (see demand for permanent 12x xp, or double xp etc.).

This is awesome! I always thought it was a pointless credit sink. So glad it'll be gone!

How much has a level 55 that trained all skills spent on training, anyways? Just curious.

I don't agree with refunding the 1-55 skills. I would only guess refunding 56-60 would be beneficial. But, meh.

i'm not going to turn away a raise or free stuff. Just think it was pointless to complain about it to begin with. I was trying to figure out how paying for them the last 2 years suddenly made it less fun than playing last month. Money was never an issue except for a few 1.0 times on a fresh toon and piloting 3 was uber expensive (they have since nerfed that a bit too). Will i turn down free skills no. Am I going to demand they make me pay for them no. Would I rather they spend their development time on something that really is an issue, probably. Did I just dump a BUNCH of money into the CM which probably covered a good hour or two of dev time YUP! So its their dollar at this point.

Just let this be a lesson for future, give someone free stuff, expect lots of mitch and boaning when it gets taken away....Probably they will think harder about what "perks" they give since taking them away seems to rub people raw (see demand for permanent 12x xp, or double xp etc.).

Don't get me wrong, no one in my guild felt that they were owed free training or anything to that effect. I merely overheard how much they had spent strictly on the 56-60 tier (granted I spent the same, I can merely absorb it easier it seems) and so I was curious about the way they were going to enact the change that none of the people I play with had actually asked for.

Agreed I won't turn it away, but my buds I and were never feeling we were entitled to it.

so early access gets ****ed and spends millions of credits training abilities and then people that didn't pre-order the expansion get an added benefit that the early access players didn't get. This is ********. I'm glad for other people, obviously, but this is terrible for pre-order people that just wasted millions of credits. GG

Not all of early access got shafted.. those of us that were too poor to pay for the skills, even as part of early access, will benefit..as will everyone's alts.

-eric

While I'm grateful for the change overall considering I have several more alts to level up....

I can't help but feel a bit shafted here. Speaking on behalf of those of us who are loyal subscribers and pre-ordered the game in advance, we are the people who just spent several million or more training multiple characters to 60. The people who did not pre-order are the ones who really benefit most here. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to not issue refunds to those who are level 60 prior to tuesday's maintenence.

This is awesome! I always thought it was a pointless credit sink. So glad it'll be gone!

How much has a level 55 that trained all skills spent on training, anyways? Just curious.

I don't agree with refunding the 1-55 skills. I would only guess refunding 56-60 would be beneficial. But, meh.

Haven't added it up myself, and I think it's different per class, but I'm pretty sure it's well over a million regardless of class.

I knew the question would be asked regarding refunds, but honestly I must say I'm thoroughly impressed to see that community clamor has actually effected change to the game in such a fundamental and sweeping way. You have my thanks, devs. :w_smile: Edited by DimmuJanKaarl

I do understand the plight of folks that already paid for abilities before this change.

I would ask that those players consider easy ways to earn the credits back...I know that may not be fair, but perhaps there is no way they can issue proper refunds.

This is not an attempt to stifle your complaints...im in that "already paid" boat with a few of my toons. I just think that this change is VERY positive, and we should move forward to finding our own solutions at this point.

I do understand the plight of folks that already paid for abilities before this change.

I would ask that those players consider easy ways to earn the credits back...I know that may not be fair, but perhaps there is no way they can issue proper refunds.

This is not an attempt to stifle your complaints...im in that "already paid" boat with a few of my toons. I just think that this change is VERY positive, and we should move forward to finding our own solutions at this point.

yes the change is positive and also it directly hoses the people that pre ordered from the jump. Pre orders got hosed and those that didn't are getting an added benefit. I'm sorry, I can be upset about that.

Don't piss on me and call it rain.

This is the first time I'm glad I didn't get Early Access. But I feel wrong feeling glad.

While I'm happy training costs are going away, not compensating Early Access players for spending hundreds of thousands or millions of credits this week hits right below the belt.

Edited by Tommerbobby

Over multiple characters, definitely possible.

Ah. I only worked on my main, and it the costs didn't seem that great (though to be fair, I didn't actually keep track of the total money before and after).

What was the full cost for a single toon to retrain at level 55?

This is bull. We should be refunded for our previous training costs, seriously, we paid over a million for training only to a week later to get the rug pulled.

It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of principle. You don't exactly crap on the players that pre ordered your expansion on day 1 by penalizing them for being the first to walk into the gate and play the new expansion.

That being said, the change is great for new players, and while I'm not happy about the lost credits, I probably will make them back fairly quickly.

Edited by GrandLordMenace

Ah. I only worked on my main, and it the costs didn't seem that great (though to be fair, I didn't actually keep track of the total money before and after).

What was the full cost for a single toon to retrain at level 55?

Total cost I believe is around 1.1 million credits, but may vary by class. This does not take into account credits earned by questing 55-60 but I had a net loss on my main and one alt, barely broke even on a 2nd alt.

Edited by NYRfan

Don't get me wrong, no one in my guild felt that they were owed free training or anything to that effect. I merely overheard how much they had spent strictly on the 56-60 tier (granted I spent the same, I can merely absorb it easier it seems) and so I was curious about the way they were going to enact the change that none of the people I play with had actually asked for.

Agreed I won't turn it away, but my buds I and were never feeling we were entitled to it.

Oh I doubt you feel entitled to it...I just know some of the more vocal ones that have been SCREEMING for them to remove it will probably now scream for a refund on what they DID spend. Or some other compensation (anyone surprised we havent' seen any "free game time" due to lag or bugs?) such as 1000CC or some free mount or whatever they feel is adequate compensation for stuff they were paying for from 1-55 yet suddenly at 55-60 is SUCH a huge burden and removes the enjoyment from the game.

Personally the reward will be what you WONT spend on the other 20 toons you will level. Yes I spent a bunch of credits, but how many of your guild mates are also spending premium $$$ on main hands hilts/barrels or augments? I spent 100+k on a single augment for my ear piece (75k for the kit and another 40k to apply it to an ear piece). That was 2 or 3 skills alone, didn't bat an eye lash at it. Since I have a couple of Quick Savant 168 enhancements ready to drop on the GTN. Healers usually love them. Might even try to get a few more Might hilts up and watch those fill up the account again.