Different server types questions

LouieLazer

So this may be a dumb question but I haven't seen it explicitly explained anywhere yet.

What's the different between pvp (player vs player), pve (Player ve environment) and rp-pvp (presumably role playing player vs player)?

I think I tested in both pvp and pve and I didn't notice any real difference.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

The difference between PvP and PvE, is that PvP is open world, attackable.

In a PvE server, you have to flag yourself as attackable, to be able to attack anyone else who is also flagged on. In PvE you choose when you wish to entertain the idea of going after other players who also have chosen.

In a PvP server, that 'flagging' doesn't exist. You are ALWAYS flagged, wherever you go. Some areas are 'safe', and guarded by NPCs or travel restrictions, however much of the worlds are open to both factions, and thus you could get attacked at anytime by another player.

PvP servers add much more scary spice to ordinary playing.

PvP servers allow more open world PvP, when you're on a contested planet (Starting at Nar Shadda & Tattoine) your PvP flag is forced on, allowing other players of the opposite faction to attack you, whether you like it or not.

PvE servers do not force your PvP flag on, unless you are on an enemy controlled planet or in a PvP Battlezone. Hostile actions on someone who is flagged will turn your flag on.

RP-PvE/PvP servers are simply the rules above, but the server is a designated Rp server, for people who'd like to Role Play.

The above posters have covered the differences between PvP and PvE servers. It's worth noting that if you didn't do beta testing extensively, I'm willing to bet you never got far beyond the starting worlds.

So you wouldn't have seen any difference anyway. But there is a big difference, ultimately.

The RP tag means that the server is 'for roleplayers', but in practice for most MMOs this simply means the server attracts more RPers - not everyone on the server will necessarily roleplay. For some people, it's enough just to have a name like 'Darth Tiona' rather than 'IpwnzNoobz214', and perhaps a slightly greater emphasis on grammar and the like in world chat.

Edited by Acyl

I have not heard confirmation if there will be name / behavior enforcement for the RP servers.

I remember someone was trying to hold a wedding in game, and a group of people came in and started having a battle right then and there (with each other, not the party members) and GMs came in and gave all the offenders a time out. Was cool really.