Can you fail to recruit companions? Are any optional?

jgelling

But as i said, everyone really only need 1 companion in this game, if they gave everyone a healer that could actually heal thats all the backup you would ever need.The only reason one would care about more companions as i said would have to be for the story aspect around them.

Are you keeping them geared? And are you turning on every ability they have? Those are important aspects, healing companions suck unless you turn on all their abilities as you level.

When I got Guss Tuno, the Smuggler's healer companion, I was massively impressed by his healing and wondered why Dorne never healed so well. Well duh, Guss had more healing abilities turned on for him to use than Dorne. Same goes for all types of companions, hence late-game companions being seemingly better at what they do.

I've seen both Healing and DPS companions work spectacularly for me (haven't hit the endgame yet with a DPS or healer, so I haven't tested tanks out yet). The problem is there are some people who would be better off if they had no control over their companion whatsoever. Companions really can't do much if you haven't tweaked their abilities appropriately (Healing companions should only have access to their CC in a couple of very specific fights), and if you don't keep your companion in decent gear, you really shouldn't be suprised when they die so quickly.

Once you hit the end game and start giving your companions leftovers from HM flashpoints, you quickly realize just how competent your companions could be if you actually gave them good (Blue grade) gear. Healing companions can survive on green items, but DPS and Tanks? Not so much.

Edited by KorinHyvek