Patch Times - no longer showing timezones

Jinsali

It really does show how they have lost interested in loyal Asia-Pacific subbers. Can't even tell us what time the server has to shut down now we have to check up on it, thanks for the support EA can you pay me back for all the cartel coins I have bought? :p

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We feel that most players should be fairly quickly able to convert the time out of PDT and GMT to discern maintenance times.

Considering your own lack of success at correctly converting timezones I find that statement unbelievably hilarious. I'm not bothering to trust the times on the german forum anymore anyway, but that statement here is more than just a little cheap.

This is a great question! We looked at how we were handling our maintenance messaging and decided a couple of things. The number one goal of the messaging was to have someone be able to look at it and quickly discern what was happening and when.

The problem with our old maintenance messaging is that it was very convoluted, just a bunch of information overload. Although I can appreciate how nice it is to have a lot of timezones listed, it creates more opportunities for us to mess up or for someone to read it incorrectly.

We feel that most players should be fairly quickly able to convert the time out of PDT and GMT to discern maintenance times.

I hope that answers your question on why we made the change.

Couldn't you change it to only display the timezone set in the account's settings when logged in (at least on the launcher), and if not logged in it would display the GMT/PDT?

Considering your own lack of success at correctly converting timezones I find that statement unbelievably hilarious. I'm not bothering to trust the times on the german forum anymore anyway, but that statement here is more than just a little cheap.

This. Bioware themselves were constantly failing at converting the timezones. And having the maintenance occuring at times that didn't align with what they had informed everyone of.

Now they can just claim that the customers have stuffed up their conversions around day saving times.

For those saying "Just math it yourself!"

I already have to keep track of 5 different time zones, it gets kinda rough with the abbreviations. To be honest if theyre not bothered with putting timezones in there any more then just put UTC in there and be done with it >_>

The problem with our old maintenance messaging is that it was very convoluted, just a bunch of information overload. Although I can appreciate how nice it is to have a lot of timezones listed, it creates more opportunities for us to mess up or for someone to read it incorrectly.

Honestly, if it is so very simple, why are you worried about messing up on your end? Can't have it both way, Eric ^^.

I, too, think it a lot easier to just check the CET-time instead of now having to do the conversion, especially with the mentioned Daylight Saving mess coming up. Anyway, no use ranting about my wish to give up dayligth saving time, but I DO wish to have my timezone-info back ^^.

PS: By the way, thanks for at least keeping GMT in the list, I usually remember my GMT-difference... ;)

Edited by LaynaTan

Why dont you use CET (Central European Time) instead of GMT which is used by only one country ?

CET countries: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech, Denmark, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Vatican City, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, San Marino, Serbia-Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

GMT: UK

Why dont you use CET (Central European Time) instead of GMT which is used by only one country ?

CET countries: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech, Denmark, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Vatican City, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, San Marino, Serbia-Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

I would say that's less EA/BW being silly than historical... Times are historically just calculated GMT +/- whatever the difference is, hence Greenwich MEAN time :). Blame the British here for trying to colonize the world ;).

Just the reason I tend to keep track of GMT: People I met intermnationally usually knew their GMT-difference, too, so we each know "when" the other is.

Edited by LaynaTan

except they use BST in the summer, which is not GMT.

Do they even teach Geography in US schools? Or do they make you learn the names and capitals of your states and call it done?

Think just capitals and states... they even do show when kid who can tell all of them, plus spell a 8 letter word is called a genius.

except they use BST in the summer, which is not GMT.

Curiously I found that CEST is CET and the two terms can be interchangeable during the summer, so BST is still then +1 on Europe.

Leading raids with continental members did a bit confusing when the times changed, but we got the timezones sort-of sorted.

GMT is the zero by which all other clocks are measured, but CET or UTC would make more sense if Bioware is doing away with time zones.

Actually that's incorrect, we British only use GMT in the Autumn and Winter, During Spring and Summer we use BST British Summer Time. Also a number of countries use GMT, mainly in Africa but they are countries.

Also my condolences for anyone who finds converting from GMT hard, it's made more confusing by the fact that Britian only uses it for six months and if you happen to know the time in Britian then your probably using the wrong time.

This reminds me of something else ...

"Inc East! no wait.. snow.. it can't be grass! Er... get to the crash site!! Aw the heck with it, look for my toon icon on the mini map!!"

=)

I tried to use the clock positions when cardinal directions didn't work out.

Now I just say "over here", which, for some reason, actually works.

Couldn't you change it to only display the timezone set in the account's settings when logged in (at least on the launcher), and if not logged in it would display the GMT/PDT?

^^^ This! SWTOR's database doesn't support Timestamps with Local Timezones?

Edited by RedShirtRob

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo posting GMT and doing conversions really work. Like today/ Logged on after getting home from work (4PM AEST) and notice the maintenance time showing it's due at 12PM GMT. This equates to 22:00 AEST.

Well, servers go down 2 hours early. I mean really, they expect us to get outage times correct when they can't even do it themselves.

And yes it,s annoying cause my wife and I were trying to get our dailies done, and we had it worked we could get them done on most of our 50;s/