New open world Star Wars game from EA.

ThorgrimLutgen

I think this explains an awful lot as to the current and recent state of the game in terms of development and what we can or more likely cannot expect for SWTOR in the future.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-developing-open-world-star-wars-game/1100-6416442/

An open world game seems an excellent concept in theory, the fact that it is EA making it, means it will be cash shop driven with little real content.

I've rolled up my eyes so hard that I think I've literally heard them roll.

My eyes rolled so hard that I almost fell out of my chair.

The news is old and the complaint from the OP is generic and redundant.

Edited by TheBBP

It's an action/combat game, not an rpg. The two should be able to coexist without conflict.

If they are smart, they make the game with all 3 of those qualities, ala Skyrim. Even an open-world pseudo-RPG like Red Dead Redemption would be sweet.

I think this explains an awful lot as to the current and recent state of the game in terms of development and what we can or more likely cannot expect for SWTOR in the future.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-developing-open-world-star-wars-game/1100-6416442/

An open world game seems an excellent concept in theory, the fact that it is EA making it, means it will be cash shop driven with little real content.

I saw an article that culminated with the game that your talking about. This game is a remake of the Battle of Hoth games in the past. This is EA Canada's "dream project.." To do the Battle of Hoth "right." I don't think it is an open ended game, because (if I remember correctly) The Battle of Hoth games of the past were basically stage games/side scrollers.

The way the EA Canada guys described it, this, newest, version of The Battle of Hoth game "takes the player through the events of that battle as it happened in the movie." Or words to that effect. That does not sound open world-ish to me.

Edited by WorldSmasher

No, it's Mass Effect 3 that ruined SWTOR.

lol, no, it was 2 things that ruined SWTOR.

1. WoW, because all the studios thought it was the exception that proved the rule.

2. BF Heroes, because it showed EA how much money could be made off of F2P.

lol, no, it was 2 things that ruined SWTOR.

1. WoW, because all the studios thought it was the exception that proved the rule.

2. BF Heroes, because it showed EA how much money could be made off of F2P.

You thoguht I was being serious? ;)

Seeing as this was at the top, I was hoping there was some new info someone was posting on the open world Star Wars game. What a disappointment to find the same ol' thing from back in November of nothing more than job postings.

I saw an article that culminated with the game that your talking about. This game is a remake of the Battle of Hoth games in the past. This is EA Canada's "dream project.." To do the Battle of Hoth "right." I don't think it is an open ended game, because (if I remember correctly) The Battle of Hoth games of the past were basically stage games/side scrollers.

The way the EA Canada guys described it, this, newest, version of The Battle of Hoth game "takes the player through the events of that battle as it happened in the movie." Or words to that effect. That does not sound open world-ish to me.

That sounds awfully like CoD.

Huh, SWTOR isn't open world. Star wars galaxies was. The guy who writed that article should be fired just for that reason alone.

you are confusing 'open world' with 'sandbox'. a game can be open world without having any sandbox elements in it.

you are confusing 'open world' with 'sandbox'. a game can be open world without having any sandbox elements in it.

Sure, but SWTOR ain't either. Just because there's some wiggle room, it's still a one-way tunnel.

Edited by Jandi

Sure, but SWTOR ain't either. Just because there's some wiggle room, it's still a one-way tunnel.

I care far more about story content and fun combat than I do about open world. I don't actually like sandbox--these kind of games tend to bore me quickly. So the conclusion that being neither is a bad thing is highly subjective.

I care far more about story content and fun combat than I do about open world. I don't actually like sandbox--these kind of games tend to bore me quickly. So the conclusion that being neither is a bad thing is highly subjective.

Ummm... where did I say it's a bad thing? O.o