Why Do Female Characters Have Such Revealing Clothes?

Ylliarus

Everyone has a 'set' mind of what stuff they want to wear, the thing i bring up, and i understand what your talking about. Is the fact too much money and other resources go into the Cartel Market, which most of us hate. People will always end up seeing in any world chat almost about the Complaints of the Cartel Market getting more resources from their point of view and some of mine, which can't be well proven. But the Community does see the Cartel Market getting, in my eyes too much time with resources that i think should be spent elsewhere.

Just my view.

Which is exactly why I purposed this as a solution to the problem I mentioned:

Well, maybe not entirely go back and reskin them, but for example at least release one, for example the Darth Baras set with that mask made available in the Adaptive Gear vendor on the Imperial fleet. That way they don't need to reskin everything but merely add one gearset to one vendor and have it so that when female toons equip it, it won't be revealing but have the same design as the male version has. That would be a very doable solution I think, one that doesn't require a lot of effort AND we get new items in the Adaptive Gear vendor which is always a great thing I think :3

That way it wouldn't be something part of the Cartel Market but instead would be available from a vendor, thus even making it easy obtainable for all players in the game without having to spend Cartel coins or real money :)

Exactly my point! Some inclusion would be amazing, I mean, while I don't find it entirely to my liking personally, why shouldn't a male toon also have the ability to reveal a revealing version of that set. The same going viceversa, an unrevealing set for a female character.

maybe the revealing sets are more popular maybe they could have a toggle that will add some extra padding even male sets are the same with certain things mixed up.

maybe the revealing sets are more popular maybe they could have a toggle that will add some extra padding even male sets are the same with certain things mixed up.

Oh I can definitely get that those are popular, while I personally am not a fan of for example the Dramatic Extrovert (I think that's the revealing one with the spikes) I do adore the design of the Karness Muur set for example, especially with a black and gray dye, it really gives you the effect of an armoured yet stylish Sith robes design. But while I get they are popular designs, the revealing ones, it would also be nice if the ones wanting an unrevealing design of the Feral Visionary/Ottegan Force Expert (aka the big shoulderpad sets) for female toons also got catered to :) at least one big shoulder-pad design added to the Adaptive Gear vendor with a unrevealing design for female characters would be the perfect solution :)

Oh I can definitely get that those are popular, while I personally am not a fan of for example the Dramatic Extrovert (I think that's the revealing one with the spikes) I do adore the design of the Karness Muur set for example, especially with a black and gray dye, it really gives you the effect of an armoured yet stylish Sith robes design. But while I get they are popular designs, the revealing ones, it would also be nice if the ones wanting an unrevealing design of the Feral Visionary/Ottegan Force Expert (aka the big shoulderpad sets) for female toons also got catered to :) at least one big shoulder-pad design added to the Adaptive Gear vendor with a unrevealing design for female characters would be the perfect solution :)

Dramatic extrovert is the one without the spikes and that shows your underbubs! It's one of my favourite sets next to ruthless scions. It's basically Thana vesh armor with the armor part removed. :p

The one with the spikes is called exposed extrovert and had a breast band, in place of the armor. I have that one too, but I don't like the breast and part!

But of those sets the actual covered armor sets exist too,so there's options! "I know you didn't say there wasn't" but it would be nice if this was the case with more sets. :)

Well, have you seen the clothes females wear in real life? I dont know where to look sometimes, its nearly ALL on show!

Ref Any Kardashian, Miley Cyrus & any other female celebrity.

Edited by Kheld

Well, have you seen the clothes females wear in real life? I dont know where to look sometimes, its nearly ALL on show!

The real question is, how much does it bother you Kheld?

There are also enough example of women who keep dressing classy, stylish, elegant and sexy without revealing all of their body. Kate Winslet for example, Emma Watson, Meryl Streep to name a few. So again, there is a choice available to either wear revealing outfits or unrevealing ones :)

Edited by Ylliarus

How is asking for more choice turning things into Saudi Arabia pray tell? Are you seriously saying you think giving people more choices in how they dress makes a game worse? And yes, since it is, indeed 2017 people expect to have choices. You are the one who needs to grow up if you think asking for more options is a problem.

And thank you for supporting me, that is exactly something I have noticed on the forums. When people don't get choices in their game they complain and shout on the game's forums, but when someone advocates for more choices suddenly they disagree vehemently with it. I sometimes pity Bioware's Devs who have to deal with the forum's contradictory statements at times XD

My problem with a lot of the female armour is that it just doesn't seem to be designed for a woman to wear. Either it's a duplicate of the male armour or it has the lower half of the chest armour removed. Neither seem to be actually cut the way clothes for women are styled in the real world. And then there's the outfits that are bare chest for men, where the female version gets a **** band. I mean it doesn't even look like a bikini top or anything, it's just a strip of colour. If they are going to make so lazy about it, why even produce a female version?*

I like to play some characters as extrovert, others as conservative. But whether they are showing some skin, or armoured from the neck down, I'd like some style to it.

It would also be nice if anything remotely revealing wasn't only available very expensively on the GTN.

*Answer: because even something so half-assed sells.

Simple and time proven concept; sex sells :D

I mean look at the ads on TV and everywhere its always seen, and its always been a video game cliche, same stats as a knight in full armor but the female gets a iron bikini and is a tank and the enemies can't hit the exposed areas. :p

Simple and time proven concept; sex sells :D

I mean look at the ads on TV and everywhere its always seen, and its always been a video game cliche, same stats as a knight in full armor but the female gets a iron bikini and is a tank and the enemies can't hit the exposed areas. :p

Yep.

Fact: skimpy outfits...for both female and male characters are very popular requests from the player base. I'm sure it's a minority of players... but it is persistent and vocal. Since it in no way impacts my choices in how I make use of armor shells for my characters... I have no issue with this. I don't get it personally, but I acknowledge that my personal preferences do not drive game development.

In other words.. what the OP is railing against.. is actually strongly desired by other players... and since the OP would in no way be forced to use them... I really don't see the problem. OP wants to have the SWTOR world remade in their desired parameters. It won't happen.

Edited by Andryah

In other words.. what the OP is railing against.. is actually strongly desired by other players... and since the OP would in no way be forced to use them... I really don't see the problem. OP wants to have the SWTOR world remade in their desired parameters. It won't happen.

Personally attacking me is really not necessary, as you have done so already in another thread and completely change the meaning of my words. I suggested this issue after reading a conversation about it ingame and subsequently taking note of the issue myself on my characters and forming an opinion about it.

Had you read the comments in this thread instead of opting to rail against me, you would have noticed that players do agree with me, definitely not all, but that is the beauty of having various opinions. There are those that agree and those that disagree and through this thread both sides are heard and brought to the attention of the devs (hopefully). Is that so wrong? To try and start a discussion for the sake of the community?

EDIT: I, in no way, want to remake the SWTOR game according to my desired parameters. I merely want to start discussions, make suggestions and gather the opinions of other players. Not only is it unrealistic that I'd have that kind of power, no single player has or ever will have, but neither would I want such power. Because I start to understand why the Devs sometimes keep silent on the forums, because whatever you say, whatever good intentions you had, someone -has- to bring you down for some reason.

Edited by Ylliarus

Personally attacking me is really not necessary, as you have done so already in another thread and completely change the meaning of my words. I suggested this issue after reading a conversation about it ingame and subsequently taking note of the issue myself on my characters and forming an opinion about it.

I've read the comments in the discussion, please stop assuming I have not.. just because I disagree with you. It's a discussion forum. I am not attacking you Yilliarus, I am disagreeing with your view points and explaining why. Disagreement with explanation =/= attacking you personally. It is interesting though how you get aggressive with anyone who disagrees with you.

Big difference.

Skimpy outfits, male or female are in no way harming you...or me (even though they are not my style to apply in game) so I really do not understand your agenda on this topic.. other then you stating that you heard a discussion about it in game and decide to make it a thread based cause in the forum.

But, hey.. if this is the path you choose to go down... have fun with that. I'll just put you on ignore and continue the discussion with others in the thread.

Edited by Andryah

I've read the comments in the discussion. It's a discussion forum. I am not attacking you Yilliarus, I am disagreeing with your view points and explaining why. Disagreement with explanation =/= attacking you personally.

Big difference.

But, hey.. if this is the path you choose to go down... have fun with that. I'll just put you on ignore.

First of all, we are grown ups, we can talk about matters sensibly without immediately putting someone on ignore because they don't respond to you in the way you'd like to. Perhaps "attack" was too big of a word to use, but you directed your words directly against me and not the idea I started a discussion about.

An untrue and unneeded statement that doesn't contribute to the discussion about this subject but is more about your personal opinion of me and not the subject? I try to remain as objectively as possible in these threads, responding to what players wrote and not who wrote it.

But, our discussion is a personal one between you and me, thus if you want to continue this subject let's do so privately and keep the subject of this thread clean.

Edited by Ylliarus

But, our discussion is a personal one between you and me, thus if you want to continue this subject let's do so privately and keep the subject of this thread clean.

No thank you. I prefer open and transparent discussion on open topics in the forum. Disagreement with your points in public discussion forms part of the discussion and IS relevant. And I refuse to get into any sort of personal feud with you on any topic in public or private.

You have made your points and preferences clear in this thread and several others. I have publicly disagreed with you and have given you the courtesy of explaining why each time I post in this thread, as well as others. Like you said... we are grown ups and should be able to agree to disagree.... rather then playing the "personal attack" meme when you don't like someone's opinions that disagree with yours.

Edited by Andryah

No thank you. I prefer open and transparent discussion on open topics in the forum. Disagreement with your points in public discussion forms part of the discussion and IS relevant. And I refuse to get into any sort of personal feud with you on any topic in public or private.

You have made your points and preferences clear in this thread and several others. I have publicly disagreed with you and have given you the courtesy of explaining why each time I post in this thread, as well as others. Like you said... we are grown ups and should be able to agree to disagree.... rather then playing the "personal attack" meme when you don't like disagreement.

As I said before I agree "personal attack" were not the right words to use and I take them back. What I meant to say is that I don't want this thread to be about me, no, this thread is about an idea that I put out there for people to talk about.

Also, I have no quarrel with you nor harbor any ill will towards you. You have all the right in the world to disagree with me, so there won't be any personal feud between us. I really could never hold that against you, as I disagree with some ideas put out here or anywhere as well, but does that mean I have a feud with that person? Not at all :) I didn't say that I wanted to take it privately because you disagree with me, you misinterpret my words. You have all the right to disagree with me, but if you want to point out to me that you believe I want the SWTOR game to be remade according to my own parametres or anything of that sort, that could be taken privately as that specifically isn't about the subject of this thread. Yet if you disagree with that line of thought as well, then that is your right.

Edited by Ylliarus

Um he in no way personally attacked you he just said a statement which disagrees with your arguing point

Um he in no way personally attacked you he just said a statement which disagrees with your arguing point

As I stated in 2 later posts I admit that was a poor choice of words while trying to convey a completely different message.

If I understant this thread right...

The OP wants different versions of armor, some more risque, some more reserved in how much virtual skin they show.

Did I get that right?

Its a fine idea, its just that even though this is a fantasy game, it is truly a fantasy to want armor sets to have 2 views based on personal preference.

Example; you go into a store. You see an outfit you want, but its is too revealing. Now you can walk away and look for something else or you can purchase the outfit as is, wear it and be unhappy or you can later have it changed to fit your preferences (don't expect that to happen either, the programing challenge would be over whelming). But in NO WAY will the store ever have 2 versions of ANYTHING just to please anybody. The same applies here too.

My suggestion to you is simple, If you don't like the amount of virtual skin the outfit shows, then you don't buy it. Logic dictates that; If you do not like the amount of virtual skin that is revealed, you can not say

" I like the outfit but...".

You either like it for what it is and how it looks or you do not.

Then since you do not like the outfit for what ever reason, the logical choice would be to move on and choose another outfit that you do like, and not to complain that you like the outfit but dislike the design of the outfit but want the designer to create 2 versions and change the outfit just so that some people who now dislike it, would otherwise like it. <-- I know that statement does not make sence but that is what your are asking for....

In reality though, do not expect BW or anybody else to create a special version just to please anybody. Designers will create ONE version and only one version and you will either like it and buy it, or you will not and will look for something that suits your personality and taste.

Example; you go into a store. You see an outfit you want, but its is too revealing. Now you can walk away and look for something else or you can purchase the outfit as is, wear it and be unhappy or you can later have it changed to fit your preferences (don't expect that to happen either, the programing challenge would be over whelming). But in NO WAY will the store ever have 2 versions of ANYTHING just to please anybody. The same applies here too.

First of all this situation is not very applicable to real life. Because if I see a great item in a store but I find something about it to be lacking, I can buy it and later modify it myself to make it look just the way I want it to be. I have done so with multiple clothes in the past :) The same can't be done ingame as there is only one design released, in that you are correct. I would however have no complaints if that design looked exactly the same for male and female charactes. A lot of outfits do have similar designs which is great and I have no complaints about them. Yet a lot of the modable items that you can obtain ingame without the CM make a difference between male and female by default. Males are all covered up, females suddenly are revealing and showing off their bellybuttons etc. Nothing against it of course, if you like it more power to you. But my issue is exactly that, that there is made a difference between the two genders. In my opinion, which judging from the comments here is shared, both genders should have had the option to have each, one revealing and one unrevealing. Women don't need to be oversexualized.

My suggestion to you is simple, If you don't like the amount of virtual skin the outfit shows, then you don't buy it. Logic dictates that; If you do not like the amount of virtual skin that is revealed, you can not say

" I like the outfit but...".

You either like it for what it is and how it looks or you do not.

Now that is dealing in absolutes like Anakin did :p you can like something and still think it could be improved and then try to share that opinion with others and possibly the creators of that outfit. Basically, I could be wrong, what you are saying is I can't say anything if I like something but would want to see it improved. Now here I disagree because people always have a right to express their opinion (within the bounds of reason and decency of course). I am merely suggesting an improvement so that player choice in even such a small thing as outfit options could be increased.

Which is currently baffling me, because I have seen So. Many. Threads. here on these forums about people complaining how little choice we have and that Bioware doesn't give us options. The amount of those threads is countless and then when someone does try to advocate for more choices, suddenly it's all wrong and "we don't need more choices". Please, can someone explain this to me? Is it simply that you won't be able to please everyone? I try to understand why people keep crying for more choices in the game and when people try to bring this to the attention to the devs it suddenly is a 180 degrees turn :p

In reality though, do not expect BW or anybody else to create a special version just to please anybody. Designers will create ONE version and only one version and you will either like it and buy it, or you will not and will look for something that suits your personality and taste.

And here I will stop you, as I have a prime example of that it does happen ;) remember the new hairstyles that were released and the slick backcombed hairstyle with those two weird ponytails in the back? People complained and what did Bioware do? They added two choices regarding that hairstyle (after the initial release), one with the ponytails and one without. So the Devs are willing to listen if you bring it to their attention. If you don't, then how can they know there are people wanting this or that in the game, which is the main purpose of what I seek to achieve with this thread; bring it to the attention of the Devs.

Edited by Ylliarus

My problem with a lot of the female armour is that it just doesn't seem to be designed for a woman to wear. Either it's a duplicate of the male armour or it has the lower half of the chest armour removed. Neither seem to be actually cut the way clothes for women are styled in the real world. And then there's the outfits that are bare chest for men, where the female version gets a **** band. I mean it doesn't even look like a bikini top or anything, it's just a strip of colour. If they are going to make so lazy about it, why even produce a female version?*

I like to play some characters as extrovert, others as conservative. But whether they are showing some skin, or armoured from the neck down, I'd like some style to it.

It would also be nice if anything remotely revealing wasn't only available very expensively on the GTN.

*Answer: because even something so half-assed sells.

I find myself agreeing with a lot that you say. I don't recall the names of the sets that have that chest band on women that you talk about but it is very nuch true. Even if they added something in the form of a little top would have been better instead of a sole band.

And true, a lot of the stuff that is revealing sells for incredibly high prices on the GTN but I will admit that has to do with the supply and demand between players and there is little Bioware can do about that :(

• 6 years later...

From my observation, clothing for female characters fits into three categories:

Man: Pants/trousers, shirts, jackets, hats.

Nun: Robes, hoods, cloaks, headpieces, total coverup.

Stripper.

Now, those costume designers responsible for designing clothing to be worn by female may well be from orthodox faiths that believe that women either cover everything to be modest and pure, or they're whores and loose women. I don't really know. All I do know is that there's a lot of ground for more flattering attire between nun and stripper. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

And despite the fact that I am a middle-age man going through midlife crisis (just so there's no misunderstanding), I'm getting tired of all of my clothing choice being based entirely on Star Wars (nun), Empire (man), or Return (stripper).I'd really like to dress my female characters in something feminine and flattering that doesn't say, "I need credits stuffed in my G-string."