XRR-3 (HM) tanking

oredith

i'm gonna be tanking it for the first time tonight. I've seen the fight many times as a healer, but I would like to hear any suggestions/cautions for tanking it.

for the sequence : "proximity violation" -> swipe -> missile salvo

can i, as the tank, run out to avoid the swipe? or will me running out cause him to turn around and swipe the melee dps instead?

I'm not too sure about this but I noticed that the swipe before the salvo has never affected me as a tank.

i get knocked every single time on normal. -_-

also learned that you can't charge back to him mid-air. it'll just waste the CD, and still punt you.

What other said, the knockback is part of the fight and cant be avoided.

The idea is that he knocks back the MT and will then swipe the new 'top of threat' which is where your Off-tank comes in.

To be more specific, when Im OTing, we set up a triangle around the boss. MT with his back towards North-West, then Me at NE (approx 120 degrees away) and then melee dps 120 degrees from me, (roughly South or South East).

This has the advantage of only MT being in the frontal 180 degree cleave, (90 degrees on each side). And then as soon as I see the MT get knocked back, I taunt asap. So then he does the nasty hit on me, and I tank him for a few seconds until MT Taunts and Force Leaps back in.

And again when MTing:

You want your back to be facing North West-ish. Basically so that when you fly back, you hit the edge of that wall near the door. That way you can very easily taunt and get back into the fight.

Naturally when he starts Missile Salvo, it depends what strategy you use, LoS or just AoE healing the raid. We used AoE healing, whole raid gathers behind boss. And so at the MT, you want to be the last one to join the raid in the AoE heal circles, and the First one toe Leave and reposition once you're 100% hp.

This is to avoid the sometimes unlucky bit where you stack together as he begins casting Missile Salvo, only you stack up a second to early (Or leave the huddle too late) and he cleaves the whole raid. We had that one or twice.

And that's about it :) Hope you kick his butt

Here is the video of our kill on NM, from my POV as tank

Without repeating some of the advice already given

You can leap/jet back to the boss, you just need to wait until you've fully landed before doing so. If you try to leap back while still flying through the air, it will eat your cooldown and fail to trigger your jump.