Allow change to advanced classes

armyrunner

I had a thought as I logged into SWTOR for the first time in a long time today. I was thinking of what a wonderful idea it would be to add the ability, for paid subscribers, to change their respective advanced class. As a Commando, I'd love to try the Vanguard class without having to level another character all the way to 50. I was thinking it could be something that could cost either 2,000 cartel coins, have a 2-month cooldown, or something similar. What are everyone else's thoughts?

I've always been opposed to changing the advanced class. There's only a few choices we make that actually matter. This is one of them.

Besides, if you reroll then you can always choose the different path (light or dark) than you did the last time to see the differences.

The play-style varies too much to really have room for this. I find more comparisons between a commando and a sage than a commando and a vanguard.

If you think of them like actual classes, you see the silliness in it.

When making your character, think:

Commando, Vanguard, Sentinel, Guardian, Gunslinger, Scoundrel, Sage, or Shadow

Instead of:

Trooper, Knight, Smuggler, or Consular

The original classes just set your story, not your class per-say. If you don't like the class, I'd recommend rerolling before you get past the capital planet.

Edited by Bynnar

I had a thought as I logged into SWTOR for the first time in a long time today. I was thinking of what a wonderful idea it would be to add the ability, for paid subscribers, to change their respective advanced class. As a Commando, I'd love to try the Vanguard class without having to level another character all the way to 50. I was thinking it could be something that could cost either 2,000 cartel coins, have a 2-month cooldown, or something similar. What are everyone else's thoughts?

No thanks.

If you really want to experience the vanguard class why not roll a powetech? that way you can advance both storylines.....

Change to AC (and other character options) is long overdue.

Players should not be punished for choices they made in the beginning when they were relatively clueless.

As for re-rolling, why don't you tell that to people who wants to do server transfer? Ask them to re-roll in new server.

I'm not opposed to AC change. But I'd rather see a "wardrobe" interface function (binding entire sets to one icon and reequipping in a flash), and a "proper" dual-spec (two or more custom talent layouts that you can switch outside combat at will) first.

• 3 weeks later...
I've always been opposed to changing the advanced class. There's only a few choices we make that actually matter. This is one of them.

Besides, if you reroll then you can always choose the different path (light or dark) than you did the last time to see the differences.

I've always opposed the idea too but its sort of growing on me now. I honestly wish that at lvl 10 that you could play each AC for a certain amount of time before making your choice, that way you've got a taste of what each class is like and you can choose the AC that fits you best. Then we wouldn't have to worry about AC respecs in the future.

However, I don't think you should be changing your AC later on just because your spec you run got nerfed or the class got nerfed in general. What if juggs/guardians got nerfed and many of them wanted to switch over to a mara/sent because once again they got another buff? We'd start seeing a class unbalance and that's not something you want. If they do introduce AC respecs in the future, in my opinion it should be a one time choice, no second chances. Once you've changed, you've changed. Done.

It's interesting to see so many people out to oppose this suggestion despite this kind of recustomization being fairly common in other games.

Like a group of anti player-choice shock troopers. I'm guessing you hate the idea of a hair stylist or some kind of appearance tab as well.

It's interesting to see so many people out to oppose this suggestion despite this kind of recustomization being fairly common in other games.

Like a group of anti player-choice shock troopers. I'm guessing you hate the idea of a hair stylist or some kind of appearance tab as well.

That is taking this a bit out of context =| AC is entirely to keep 8 completely different classes down to 4 different storylines. I don't see any other MMO that has this options aside from the now-failing Rift, in which that was really a core class design. It's like if WoW offered a class change from Warrior to Death Knight, the playstyle/gear/class would have to be re-done entirely.

That is taking this a bit out of context =| AC is entirely to keep 8 completely different classes down to 4 different storylines. I don't see any other MMO that has this options aside from the now-failing Rift, in which that was really a core class design. It's like if WoW offered a class change from Warrior to Death Knight, the playstyle/gear/class would have to be re-done entirely.

Getting new gear seems like a problem for the player that's unrelated to the argument. In WoW a tanking paladin has a completely different playstyle and armor than a healing paladin. That doesn't stop people in their tracks .

Not to mention the fact that 90% of all crafters don't craft anything beyond the stuff that makes them the most profit, they really couldn't care less about other players as long as their profit is there, so changing classes will be next to impossible to regear, unless the classes involved use the same level of armor, but going from a Juggernaut/guardian to a Marauder/Sentinel will require a massive gear change, so unless you craft the stuff yourself....it would be insane to change classes, assuming it was possible.

I personally think its a HUGE mistake to add it, if i they did.

Getting new gear seems like a problem for the player that's unrelated to the argument. In WoW a tanking paladin has a completely different playstyle and armor than a healing paladin. That doesn't stop people in their tracks .

There's a substantial difference between changing between a healing paladin and a tanking paladin in WoW and going from a Shadow to a Sage (or vice versa). The paladin, regardless of spec, maintains a constant and standard suite of skills that all specs have available to them. They also use the same type of gear, regardless of whether they are heal or tank or dps (all of them wear plate armorWhile the playstyle and the gear are different, there are still the same standard abilities. Sage to Shadow have roughly half of their abilities changing, coupled with a vast difference in how their resource operates, which creates a vast gulf in how the two different ACs play. The different specs in WoW still follow a roughly similar playstyle: rogues are all much like rogues, warriors like warriors, etc. A Sage and a Shadow play, from the abilities they use to the actual way in which they manipulate their resources, in completely different ways. Leveling to 50 as a Shadow does nothing to prepare you for how you play a Sage: the abilities are all different and the way you use your resources is all different. The same applies for every AC pairing for their base class: Scoundrels and Gunslingers have the vast disconnect between Stealth + Upper Hand and cover; Sentinels use Zealous Strike as their primary Focus gain whereas Guardians use Sundering Strike (not to mention the difference between using heavy armor for survivability compared to medium armor and massive amounts of powerful low CD survivability CDs and the addition of Centering stacks). About the only class that you could feasibly do it with is Trooper because VGs and Commandos both use remarkably simple playstyles with little difference in fundamental playstyle between the two.

Respecing AC is vastly different than respecing your skill tree. With a skill tree respec, you still have the same fundamental class that you're keeping: the same default abilities and the same resources. With an AC respec, you would be changing more than half of your default abilities (re: the ones you actually use as part of your primary rotation rather than those that just get tossed off your bar because they're not useful) along with a substantial alteration in how the class operates on a fundamental level. As such, they're not really anything even remotely close to the same thing.

Right, and changing from a tank spec to DPS spec on my juggernaut is any different? Changing AC's would be closer to paying Blizzard 25$ to go from Paladin to Druid almost, I don't see any sense in it.

Now *if* it came out, I'd think the cost and/or cooldown should be based off character level. Such that let's say a lvl 50 would pay 2.5k CC with a 60-day cooldown, but a fresh lvl 20 would pay maybe 500 CC with a 7-day CD for instance.

I find the points about how different the ACs are to be irrelevant.

1. Need different armor? Go get some. This is a a challenge for the person who chose to switch.

2. Need to learn to play again? Go do it. This is a challenge for the person that made the switch.

3. Don't like it? Don't do it. No one's making you change your character.

I think it's an apples and oranges comparison. There's a big difference between changing the appearance of your toon and changing your entire play style.

I find the points about how different the ACs are to be irrelevant.

1. Need different armor? Go get some. This is a a challenge for the person who chose to switch.

2. Need to learn to play again? Go do it. This is a challenge for the person that made the switch.

3. Don't like it? Don't do it. No one's making you change your character.

But the differences between AC's are relevant - not because of difficulties in adjusting to a change but because the AC's are all DIFFERENT CLASSES. You can pretend all you want but there are 8 classes, not 4, in this game. The fact that each pair of classes share a class story and level the same way until 10 was a design choice made to save on resources and has the bad result of confusing people into thinking that, forex, a sage and shadow share enough that switching between them is the same thing as respecing talent points in a WoW class - but it isn't.

I personally don't care whether AC change is implemented or not - if it is I certainly hope EA charges folks a ton of real money for it because the real result of AC change will be folks spending less time playing, not more, as it cuts into the game replayability since you no longer have to level 2 characters to play both linked AC's.

I personally find the game play different enough between all 8 AC's that I am willing to play all of them, even with all the repetitive content, but I get that other folks don't like re-running content and may want to experience the gameplay of all 8 classes, which is why I don't really care what happens in the long run. I do think folks who change their AC's are going to miss out on a lot of fun experiencing each class as it levels up and gains more abilities - and while the folks on this thread may decide that is ok I am fairly sure that once the ability is in the game new players will swap AC's without even realizing what they are missing (which is one reason I think it should be a one time only thing at BEST and should cost a ton - folks need to be sure its something they want to do).

But the differences between AC's are relevant - not because of difficulties in adjusting to a change but because the AC's are all DIFFERENT CLASSES. You can pretend all you want but there are 8 classes, not 4, in this game. The fact that each pair of classes share a class story and level the same way until 10 was a design choice made to save on resources and has the bad result of confusing people into thinking that, forex, a sage and shadow share enough that switching between them is the same thing as respecing talent points in a WoW class - but it isn't.

I personally don't care whether AC change is implemented or not - if it is I certainly hope EA charges folks a ton of real money for it because the real result of AC change will be folks spending less time playing, not more, as it cuts into the game replayability since you no longer have to level 2 characters to play both linked AC's.

I personally find the game play different enough between all 8 AC's that I am willing to play all of them, even with all the repetitive content, but I get that other folks don't like re-running content and may want to experience the gameplay of all 8 classes, which is why I don't really care what happens in the long run. I do think folks who change their AC's are going to miss out on a lot of fun experiencing each class as it levels up and gains more abilities - and while the folks on this thread may decide that is ok I am fairly sure that once the ability is in the game new players will swap AC's without even realizing what they are missing (which is one reason I think it should be a one time only thing at BEST and should cost a ton - folks need to be sure its something they want to do).

In other words "I don't like it, I don't want it and others should be punished if they get it".

would'nt bother me if they gave in to this.. however i think that the whole advance class was a lazy move. would rather have them as 8 separate classes from the start with 8 different stories.

after leveling most of the classes i think the stories can get pretty bad for one advance class and really fitting for the other.

Edited by hallucigenocide

would'nt bother me if they gave in to this.. however i think that the whole advance class was a lazy move. would rather have them as 8 separate classes from the start with 8 different stories.

I don't think they needed 8 classes at. Really this system could be run with the basic 4 with each class having a "Mindset" switch that they could flip (with a 30 minute) cooldown that would let characters choose one of 1 to 3 types of behaviors to work with.