Obsidian wants to make KotOR 3

LadyKulvax

Obsidian Entertainment would love to do Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3 in any fashion, according to lead writer Chris Avellone.

How do you think KotOR 3 would work, would it replace The Old Republic: Revan and re-tell the story in a very expanded tone or would it be based on something entirely different?

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/15892/article/obsidian-wants-to-develop-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-3/

I'd love to see it, and I don't mean to be a downer, but its never going to happen.

Yes there is a 300 year period in which in could easily take place without causing any continuity issues or retcons, but from a business perspective its highly inadvisable. Mainly because if KOTOR 3 were produced and released I can assure you that there would be a mass exodus from SWTOR to play the new game and BioWare would experience a massive drop in subscribers. And right now BioWare can't afford that.

Really write now the Star Wars RPG market is somewhat off limits, which is a shame.

I'd love to see it, and I don't mean to be a downer, but its never going to happen.

Yes there is a 300 year period in which in could easily take place without causing any continuity issues or retcons, but from a business perspective its highly inadvisable. Mainly because if KOTOR 3 were produced and released I can assure you that there would be a mass exodus from SWTOR to play the new game and BioWare would experience a massive drop in subscribers. And right now BioWare can't afford that.

Really write now the Star Wars RPG market is somewhat off limits, which is a shame.

I really don't see that happening.. I mean yeah I have no doubt it would be a good game but there's no way the game would have as much content as SWTOR. People might take a break to play but unsubscribing to play a game they could finish in a few days?? I doubt it.

Edited by Airmo

I really don't see that happening.. I mean yeah I have no doubt it would be a good game but there's no way the game would have as much content as SWTOR. People might take a break to play but unsubscribing to play a game they could finish in a few days?? I doubt it.

The KotOR fans most likely translate into fans of the story when playing this game, the story in this game is so spread apart by filler questlines that it becomes hard to enjoy the momentum of the story, at least I find it this way.

Taking a break is where the problem lies. If KOTOR 3 were to be released thousands and thousands of players will unsubscribe (temporarily or not) to play KOTOR 3. Which could continue for months on end (given that different people will buy the game at different times) if not longer - which could potentially harming player experience. And while they may come back but that's still money lost.

Then again you've got to balance that out with the fact that KOTOR 3 itself will generate a profit (though some of that will go to Obsidian) and may encourage new gamers to play SWTOR.

I guess it is a possibility, but BioWare would have to weigh up the pros and cons.

The KotOR fans most likely translate into fans of the story when playing this game, the story in this game is so spread apart by filler questlines that it becomes hard to enjoy the momentum of the story, at least I find it this way.

"Quick you must stop the evil bad guy from destroying the planet! But first could you go pick up my dry cleaning and get some beers from the store?" Yeah, the side quests really do kill the story flow.

Personally, if someone does make another SW RPG, I hope it is set way in the future. Set it a couple hundred years past the Legacy comics or something.

It would be nice, I'm remembering actually that Obsidian got started on KOTOR 3 but was cancelled because of financial issues at Lucasarts or something...

Really? Well, I hope that doesn't happen if this goes through. You can only play the first two games so much before you NEED a new one. :D

If they do, I can only hope they are allowed the time they need to actually finish making the game. This time. There is 300 years or so between KoTOR 2 and TOR so there's plenty of room to whip something up. Could easily be about the fledgeling Jedi order after the 2nd game to clarify how, exactly, did they go from 5 Jedi in the galaxy after KoTOR 2 to "thousands" by the time of the first war.

It would be nice, I'm remembering actually that Obsidian got started on KOTOR 3 but was cancelled because of financial issues at Lucasarts or something...

Obsidian never started on Kotor 3 at all, that was Lucasarts internal team.

I loved the story in KOTOR and didn't find that side-quests distracted from the flow at all. If anything they made the environments richer (i.e. the murder mystery on Dantooine).

That said, I'm surprisingly ambivalent about the idea, but then I haven't given it much thought since TOR came out and the terrible Foundry flashpoint was released.

Let me say this like Yoda

"Doubtful EA outsource its License to a Company they do not own or Control,

Much reaching for false hope Obsidian Fans have ........"

Obsidian also wanted to make a RPG game around RotJ ..........

But then nothing seems to be out the Reach of EA's Check Book , maybe Obsidian is looking at being bought !

It is not entirely impossible that EA might give the Right to use their Licensing to Obisidian but it is doubtful .

EA has a lot of inhouse companies that can do it .

Edited by mefit

Obsidian Entertainment would love to do Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3 in any fashion, according to lead writer Chris Avellone.

How do you think KotOR 3 would work, would it replace The Old Republic: Revan and re-tell the story in a very expanded tone or would it be based on something entirely different?

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/15892/article/obsidian-wants-to-develop-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-3/

Avellone already answered it partially few years back. The Sith Empire was supposed to be creating Force Wounds in the galaxy to "conquer the Republic without firing a shot". Don't have link to the interview but uncle Google will surely remember. Of course, this plot is no longer on the table. That was Obbsidian's idea, there was also KOTOR 3 in development internally at LucasArts in like 2004, got cancelled. Dunno if it used Obsidian's plot.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/06/question-time-your-interview-with-chris-avellone/

Question: For years, KOTOR fans were speculating who, or perhaps what the ‘True Sith’, mentioned by Kreia at the end of “The Sith Lords”, were. In ‘The Old Republic’ MMO, BioWare made them be the survivors of Naga Sadow’s Empire from the Great Hyperspace War.

My question is who/what the ‘True Sith’ were in your concept? Descendants of King Adas’s ancient Sith Empire? A completly unknown and separate gropu of the Dark Side of the Force users? Or perhaps the ‘True Sith’ was not suppoused to be an organization, but rather an idea?

Answer: They were survivors of Naga Sadow’s empire. Much like the Shadows in Babylon 5, they were orchestrating the collapse of the Republic from behind the scenes, interfering with key events to cause echoes through the Force and leave it ripe for invasion – hopefully without a shot even being fired. In essence, they were changing the shape of the galaxy through manipulation of specific people and conflicts, much like Sidious did, but on an even larger scale than Episode 1 through 3.

The idea was that in Knights of the Old Republic II, Revan slowly became aware of this underlying threat (because Revan is a tactical ******) and went off to seek out the true source of the threat to the galaxy. This was why he was trying to keep the Old Republic infrastructure intact so he could use it against the Sith. Anyway. Fairy tales and legends and what might have been, but that was the intent, yes.

Edited by Pietrastor

I'd rather have Bioware make KotOR 3 because KotOR is a billion times better than KotOR 2. They would have to use the same team that made KotOR, though. If they can't do that, I don't want a KotOR 3.