The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

I'd like to quote Yahtzee's review of the first Watch Dogs game, "I wish more games had the balls to tell you 'you'll play it our way or you'll do it with more holes in you than your love interest's face' "

In all seriousness, the amount of skipping in FP groups is half the reason why I suggested my GF reward changes. The other half is to provide some means of escape from the toxicity.

Games need SOME limitations on how to play, but it can be a good thing to give the player a lot of freedom.

however, that is not the case in this situation. it's why FFXIV dungeons are superior even though they are linear and force you to clear trash before proceeding. becuase the RESULTS of the design and letting people skip are worse than not letting them in this case.

Games need SOME limitations on how to play, but it can be a good thing to give the player a lot of freedom.

however, that is not the case in this situation. it's why FFXIV dungeons are superior even though they are linear and force you to clear trash before proceeding. becuase the RESULTS of the design and letting people skip are worse than not letting them in this case.

The unskippable trash mobs in Uprisings are often cited as the primary reason why practically nobody queues for them.

Not a "bad" run but I think I deserve a medal for this.

My lv75 Sniper dps, a lv25 Jugg tank, a lv30 Merc heal, and a lv40 Merc dps.

Wipe once or twice on our way to the first boss. Team was very inexperienced.

I had my suspicion so I said the usual tank=kite boss, the others focus on one marked dog tactic before boss fight.

Wipe. No one use kolto. Heal kept running outside of the room whenever a stray dog was after him.

Tank said he's new at the second wipe. Turned out he didn't know what kolto was.

I suspect no one did because no one but me used it.

Tank was actually pretty good after I explained what was what. He kited the boss away from the dogs and ran to kolto at the right moment. Big relief.

We did it after another two wipes or so before we finally got the Heal to follow mechanic (stop running away!)

My fix bill was 40 or 50k at that point.

I found out the Tank was so green he didn't even know he has an off combat healing skill. You know, the one every class gets at level 1. The one that's so basic most guides didn't even list it.

Of course Heal didn't know he has healing skills. He didn't even know he queued as a heal.

We were very slow. The Merc dps and I finally managed to let the Heal understand that he was a heal. He found his kolto shot skill. Yay. I told him to focus on Tank because Tanks was doing pretty good so he took most damage (said he played wow I guess that helped). Tank found his off combat healing skill at some point.

We wiped at the bridge but that's partly my fault. We took way too long getting everyone on the edge of the bridge (Tank fall off, but I fall off that bridge all the time so no hard feeling), one gold droid was already in position, it stood at the end of the bridge, there's no way to bypass it. I didn't see the others were dragging behind when triggered the gold droid. Bad decision.

But things went upward after that. They followed kill order and took down the 5 men team bosses in one try with no one died.

Heal died once on the big lift because he triggered the upper level enemy while we were all at the bottom.

Heal dutifully fire his kolto shot (and occasionally the kolto scan) at Tank, even forget/didn't know that he can heal himself. I reminded him the fact.

Everyone followed boss mechanic during the final boss fight. We did it at first try. Everyone was pretty healthy.

Tank thanked me. We said goodbye.

Please guys, know your basic skills before you go to a flashpoint, I promise you won't find another player as patient as me.

I found out the Tank was so green he didn't even know he has an off combat healing skill. You know, the one every class gets at level 1. The one that's so basic most guides didn't even list it.

A lot of the newbies seem to be overlooking this skill. I think it's possibly a side-effect of having comps set to heal by default, coupled with the ease of starter planet fights. The first time the player really needs their out-of-combat heal is in group content...

Anyway, kudos for turning it into a teaching run. I've had a few of those, but none that really qualify as funny/weird. Most went quite smoothly. I find that impatient people tend to just drop group as soon as they realize someone's green.

Not a "bad" run but I think I deserve a medal for this.

My lv75 Sniper dps, a lv25 Jugg tank, a lv30 Merc heal, and a lv40 Merc dps.

Wipe once or twice on our way to the first boss. Team was very inexperienced.

I had my suspicion so I said the usual tank=kite boss, the others focus on one marked dog tactic before boss fight.

Marvelous, applausing!

Read as a book :D

A few more stories:

MM Lost Island. All level 75s: me (commando healer), commando dps, shadow tank, and sentinel dps. Trouble started at the first boss. I think I was the weird one here at first, because I forgot I was using my blaster rifle instead of my cannon, so Propulsion Round wasn't available. The generator droid boss places the electric circle on me, I spam the keybind for the backwards leap and nothing happens because that ability isn't useable with a rifle. It was quite shocking as to what happened next, but we cleared it on the second try.

Sav-Rak also resulted in a wipe the first time because the DPS were new to the fp and didn't understand that all three pipes had to be continuously channeled simultaneously, so I walked them through the mechanics.

Last boss went down first try after a lengthy explanation, although the burn phase was pretty close. All in all, took almost an hour to clear the whole dungeon.

MM Depths of Manaan. When I joined as dps on commando, the first boss was already defeated (apparently somebody left.) Now, let me just say that I absolutely despise Ortuno on MM, but decided to roll with it anyway. Come Ortuno's fight, and the healer goes splat after the first Flow and set of adds, followed by the rest of the group not long after. Second try results in the same thing, so at that point I give the healer's gear a look (level 71 scoundrel): Rating 180-something, a mix of greens and blues with one purple from who knows where. The scoundrel was profusely apologizing and volunteered to leave, but the vanguard tank suggested we give it one more try.

While I did queue as DPS, I respecced to healer to see if that would solve anything while the scoundrel changed to dps: apparently not, as the third attempt entailed, being another wipe. At that point, the scoundrel left, and we decided to try it again with the tank's Elara as a dps. Predictably, she died in the first Flow, but we managed to pull through with the three of us (sage dps was the other.) Near the end of the fight, someone else joined, but we then spent the next five minutes trying to figure out how to get them to us, including asking them zoning in and out of the instance - turns out the entryway to Ortuno's room doesn't reopen once he's defeated, likely a bug. In the end, that other person had to leave. After a while, we got another dps who was able to finish the rest of the fp with us, no other problems on the final boss. All in all, I believe at least six different people were in that instance at one point or another as part of the group, maybe more if someone left before the first boss.

Near the end of the fight, someone else joined, but we then spent the next five minutes trying to figure out how to get them to us, including asking them zoning in and out of the instance - turns out the entryway to Ortuno's room doesn't reopen once he's defeated, likely a bug. In the end, that other person had to leave.

Isn't there a cutscene before the final boss? In general if you zone out and then zone in while the cutscene is running (obviously group doesn't spacebar while doing that) it should port you right into the cutscene (hence where the cutscene takes place) rather than the beginning of the instance

(that also works when speedrunning talon with only 1 stealth or for kaon if the npc is invisible for you)

I had an interesting VM Hammer Station run a few days ago.

Me as level 75 Gunslinger, a 75 Dps, a 40 something tank, and level 21 healer.

The interesting things:

- classic trinity in veteran mode.

- NO LoS throughout the whole run, except once (2nd large group before elevator) when I pulled**.

- lots of extra pulls, due to inexperience I think.

- people died a few times, but overall it went fine. Healer was only level 22 by the end but did well enough

** I've had FP runs where people LoS'd single targets! 🤔

Edited by JediQuaker

I have had three weirdos over the past two days:

The first seemed chill. Running Cademimu, he was asking if the group knew the fights and strats for the FP; kudos for checking. Some extra mobs got aggroed at one point by mistake and he got killed, which seemed to irk him; he said he couldn't afford the repair bills. He's level 75. I don't buy it, but I decide to be nice and give 50K credits to shut him up. After we beat Ortol, suddenly asks group if they are from America and goes off about "how I hope Trump ****s you over." >.> Riiiiight. That was classy...

Second on Objective: Meridian. We arrive at first bosses and wipe. Run back and have a fairly lengthy discussion on who does what. Looks like this'll work. Start fight. 20 seconds in, tank quits after raging about apparently losing aggro. ***.jpeg

Two others quit in rapid succession and I'm left wondering what the hell happened.

Third just today: Red Reaper MM. Get to first corridor, the tank heads to the middle of it and pulls mobs which, of course, melt him. We wipe, unfortunately, then he calls us "freaks" and quits. HE aggroed the mobs. Uhhh... right. Then we successfully get past that hallway and I admit to making a mistake that cost us nothing and people probably didn't even notice: I didn't notice some mezzed mobs and hit them, breaking soft stun. I immediately recast my own soft stun to fix it, but the healer quits after this admission. I don't know if it was because of that or they didn't want to wait for a new tank, but I thought it was petulant to do so. We (2 DPS) finish the FP with comps. (I realize Reaper probably isn't that difficult but it was harder than it needed to be.)

My rhetorical question: why do people have to get so pissy when things don't go to plan? *sigh*

Because they have anger management issues.

I'd say it's more like they've conditioned their own expectations. Mindlessly running the exact same content in the exact same way for the exact same reward over and over has resulted in them being utterly incapable of handling anything outside their narrow look-up table.

Hammer Spammer mentality at work :rolleyes:

I'd say it's more like they've conditioned their own expectations. Mindlessly running the exact same content in the exact same way for the exact same reward over and over has resulted in them being utterly incapable of handling anything outside their narrow look-up table.

Hammer Spammer mentality at work :rolleyes:

Or just expectation management overall. Personally, I get irked easily when people who supposedly should be able to do the content by the muscle memory are nowhere near that.

Also, elitism is toxic but it grows naturally when people grow in skills and some things become trivial to them but not the new players. Like, how does it not come naturally to our stealther they're supposed to cc mobs or that people don't knock back packs or... You get the idea.

And also also, just remove HS from the queue at this point t_t. I just eat the penalty at this point, not worth wasting time on it :/

Cadimemu, testing out my concealment op before I take her into some ops next week. One other op, and two maras. Other op is 71, I’m 75, one mara is 75, other is 69 – should be fine yeah? Lol.

Straight off the 75 mara stealths past the first two groups, op follows him, leaving me, who did not realized they ditched, and the little mara (who doesn’t have stealth yet) to take the first group. Death. Realized after we were dead the other two had straight up left. Basically, this is the pattern through the whole thing until I quit out. I start trying to follow but I’m not just gonna leave the smaller mara to eat all the mob damage just because they’re not decent enough to clear. As if it wasn’t bad enough, guess what – no scavenging in the party. Yay.

They actually fight this time, but it takes two tries (no heals with the two droids is hell), and then we have the 75 mara, who decides to start clearing, and the other op, who straight up gave up, stealthed past all the mobs to the boss, and starts soloing it while we’re trying to get past the trash. After about my third death and watching all the trash that the op sent our way chase the baby mara, I was done. I just closed the game.

Admittedly in this case I was probably acting a bit weird too.

Veteran Korriban Incursion together with two of my guild, I as tank 75, healer 75 and a dps somewhere in the 50s with the intentions to level. We got a random 75 dps player added and went throwing out lightnings and stuff at the invaders of the sacred Sith world.

We three were in voice chat but nonetheless greeted in game, not getting anything back from stranger number 4. Not unusual but well, that's the GF factor. Since the low level wanted to level we decided not to skip everything possible even though there were two stealth classes present, but just nuked everything on the direct way to and in between the bosses, stuff died fast enough anyway.

The first extra group pulled before the first boss, the one right in the middle there didn't draw any reaction yet, towards the second there isn't really one extra since we didn't to go out of our way and went like *pull everything there is*. Afterwards though, the group after the klorslugs earned a ? in chat which at least proved the player had the chat open/knew how to use it, and to which I really couldn't help myself to answer with ! in hope to maybe get a bit more than that just a punctuation mark.

The next group at the academy entrance being pulled too got the next ? and another !. Inside in front of the pylon, another ? another ! Clearing the 4 rooms next and went to the elevator while I politely typed something about it being possible to skip stuff doesn't mean stuff has to be skipped especially with a lower level in the group. No answer to that either, so the first group right after the elevator then was killed next, earning yet another ? despite the explanation, then the last as well as the boss. All three of us typed our usual thanks for the group and bye byes, again getting no word, punctuation mark or anything from number 4.

Now, nobody has to be talkative in FPs, but for me if you do communicate use actual words, the other players aren't mere bots to earn you your rewards and can at least expect that much.

I have to vent about this one.

I should have known something would happen. Stage: Vet KDY. Cast: me (75 Sen Watchman), 3 lowbies (highest is approx. 38 Commando; one is tank but only in the 20s, so not really effective).

Opening convo with Aygo, the commando posts to chat "space barrrrrr." Oh boy. I hate this already. Proceed to clear everything, no issues. Thankfully we get the shield generator and hangar boarder repulsion modules. If we had gotten the fighter assembly, I'm sure this dingbat would have ****ed it up. The most unfortunate module: we get Modo as the boss. Oh boy. We have no real tank, so I end up pulling aggro most of the time. I'm the only one that seems to be able to handle it anyway. First attempt, I get nuked because 5 red circles spawn under me. I'll take the blame for this one.

Second attempt, the "tank" dies quickly, probably because he's unfamiliar with the fight. The commando see this and chastises the guy about moving in a condescending manner, then says he's stopped doing anything. Just dies and while the two of us remaining get Modo down to half health, the pissant says "that's fine just waste time [instead of wiping]." We wipe, and I can't help myself. I reply "The only one wasting time here is you by *********** quitting." Then "3 is better than 2." He retorts "4 is better than 3." Congratulations, you are completely correct, but have just proven to be an argumentative ******e!

2 more attempts, one of which I probably could have pulled off if I wasn't the last one and Modo's once-per-second stuns and chokes hadn't prevented me from clicking kolto, then the ****** quits. YAY. Pull a replacement, 74 DPS Guardian, IIRC. Finally get it done, even though this one makes a snide comment at one of the lowbies as well.

WHY? WHY? I don't want to sound elitist, but you're a *********** lowbie! Just by being the level you are, you are probably only half as effective as anyone at 60+! Don't be a jerk when you are in the same boat as two of your teammates or else don't queue group content!

Just a note about the opening convo in KDY. It seems to be possible to skip it by having someone simply go to the exit from the bridge, or perhaps, the shuttle, and click. I haven't done this myself yet, but I've been in groups that did it, but I haven't exactly noted what was done.

And, of course, you can skip the follow-up "fly to the base" cutscene by hitting ESC.

At one point in time, those methods led to a bug that would break your flashpoint run, so people have been understandably shy about using them in my experience.

I just did KDY last night with no problems from skipping the cutscenes.

There was a time, over a year ago, when even spacebar'ing through the cutscene would boink KDY, but that was fixed long ago.

Edited by JediQuaker

I've got one.

Queued up for a random vet Flashpoint on my Bodyguard Merc. Got matched with a DPS Operative (75), Powertech Tank (75), and a Marauder (19). Instance is Hammer Station. So far so good. With three 75s (and an actual trinity group, even!) this will go fast, right? Operative seemed to think so, too because they were already running for the first trash mob in the time it took for me to zone in and type 'hi' in group chat. First big pull in Hammer Station is always hectic, especially when you're with a speedrunner, so at first I didn't notice anything odd.

By the second pull, though, things started to get weird. I noticed that our supposed tank wasn't taking any damage. In fact, it took me a moment to locate them. They were standing back well away from the action. As we continued clearing trash, they ran ahead and opened the scavenging shortcut to the first boss, neatly avoiding any actual combat.

So, now I'm suspicious. With the operative showing no signs of slowing down, I focus-target the tank right before we pull the boss and get back to healing, keeping an eye on the so-called tank who (again) stands way back from the fight and doesn't engage at all. I glance back at group chat thinking maybe they said something, but I'm the only one who's said a word (the aforementioned greeting). Tunneler goes down, we loot. I decide I've had enough and ask the tank if they plan to actually fight anything. They drop group.

Operative doesn't hesitate. Pulls out their comp and keeps going. We finish the rest of the flashpoint without incident.

Now, there's not much in player behavior that irks me. I don't mind the occasional speedrun, I don't mind lower-level or inexperienced players. But if you're going to queue as a tank, especially if you're at level cap, at least pretend to tank. Don't just stand there and wait for the DPS and healer to carry you through the instance. :rolleyes:

Edited by Crystal_Mind

I won't say it's impossible, but I doubt it. Operative was going pretty fast to be multiboxing, and the lowbie mara was valiantly doing their best to keep up. Tank wasn't totally afk (they were following the group and looting) they just weren't contributing to combat.

Regardless, they were a "weird person I met in groupfinder." Annoying at the time, and an amusing headscratcher in retrospect.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd add more of my weird experiences here.

I was the weird one in a particular SM Explosive Conflict - one that was particularly explosive, for me at least.

Someone pulled that group of adds off to the side in the trench area for no good reason. I saw this as an opportunity to unleash my AoE on them LoSed around the corner... but this proved to be a fatal mistake, as I didn't realize the tank was still busy with the others. Fried commando, anyone?

I'm not sure why I thought climbing out of the trench was a good idea, but that also caused my character to be sent sky-high. Getting my mouse button stuck on the minefield boss didn't help, either... tripped more than one of them.

Formed a PuG group for Eyeless yesterday; after waiting a while for a tank, one of the DPS got fed up and decided to switch toons to one. Unfortunately, Eyeless doesn't have any bolster, and the tank, in iRating 193 gear, proved to be squishier than squishy. A lot of credit goes to the healers, who somehow both managed to stay alive through the whole thing in this cycle:

1. Tank dies. I, as DwT, taunt the boss away from one of the other DPS.
  2. A DPS is picked off, starting at around 40% HP when the adds begin to stack up due to lack of DPS.
  3. I exhaust all my DCDs dragging it around the room while the others try their best to DPS it.
  4. I die, but by that time the tank is rezzed and does pretty much the same thing before dying and I'm rezzed back up.
  5. Rinse and repeat, until the part when another DwT manages to keep the boss on the move and my shadow chases its tail, healers scrambling to keep us both up.

Needless to say, that was a disaster.

Formed a PuG group for Eyeless yesterday; after waiting a while for a tank, one of the DPS got fed up and decided to switch toons to one. Unfortunately, Eyeless doesn't have any bolster, and the tank, in iRating 193 gear, proved to be squishier than squishy. A lot of credit goes to the healers, who somehow both managed to stay alive through the whole thing in this cycle:

1. Tank dies. I, as DwT, taunt the boss away from one of the other DPS.
  2. A DPS is picked off, starting at around 40% HP when the adds begin to stack up due to lack of DPS.
  3. I exhaust all my DCDs dragging it around the room while the others try their best to DPS it.
  4. I die, but by that time the tank is rezzed and does pretty much the same thing before dying and I'm rezzed back up.
  5. Rinse and repeat, until the part when another DwT manages to keep the boss on the move and my shadow chases its tail, healers scrambling to keep us both up.

Needless to say, that was a disaster.

Good grief, 193 gear in the year of our lord 2020:rak_evil:

For the most part, I've been pretty lucky in concerns with finding good groups through GF. Occasionally I get someone who acts like a know it all or *****es at someone because you can tell they're new. For the most part, I wave it off, keep listening to music, whisper to the newbie to ignore the ***, and enjoy themselves.

But last week, oh boy, had two interesting groups in MM GF, one on my healer and the other on my gunslinger.

For my healer, I got Depths of Manaan automatically 2 of the tanks quit, which alright it was my role in-demand, but our 3rd tank stuck around, I and the DPS cheered and welcomed them. However, as the FP continued, myself and the DPS that was experienced noticed our tank was squishy as hell and not keeping aggro. Inspecting them, I found that he/she was in half DPS-gear and half-tank, which fine for the most part. I can heal through that, but he wasn't in tank spec, and after the first boss, we asked him to switch to full tank spec. That didn't go over well, and they argued, so after asking a 3rd time and they refused, we kicked him/her from the group. Unfortunately, our next tank wasn't any better.

They were still in greens and level 72. I started to explain the mechanics for the second fight and the best way to get past the boss with little fuss. He jumped right in and naturally got us killed since he/she followed no mechanics. So after the third pull, we kicked our fourth tank, and after waiting ten minutes for a replacement and getting none, said our goodbyes, got a friend request from the PT DPS and gave up.

On my gunslinger, honestly, this group made me laugh, probably because I was somewhat drunk. Our healer was a bit of troll, using their pull with their sage healer, on myself, the other gunslinger, and tank while we were in our rotations or keeping aggro in tanks case. The other gunslinger got pissed and began ************, the tank tried to calm the situation down, and eventually got irritated and stopped tanking, he/she was kicked. I brought out Lana for the last boss, FP was Mando Raiders. We had no problem with troll healer, myself, other gunslinger and lv 50 healing comp, easy peasy and amusing since other gunslinger continued ************ throughout everything, egging the troll on.