The ranked scene here on Harbinger is getting really annoying

IAmViiOLENT

Back in the day = Consequences for being a d-bag. (Even if you were good at what you were doing)

Today on the interwebs = No consequences.

But to the OP...

Welcome to the consequences of being awesome. (our theme today is consequences)

Seriously, I get that it is frustrating to have built the "perfect" rated team, and to be left without anyone against whom to play, but that is the inherent flaw in rated. As long as the major distinction between rated and normal is actually maintaining a "rating", there exists a serious impediment to people who consider a loss a foregone conclusion.

It's easy to point out that rated provides a higher level of competition, and a greater learning experience. That's true. But I have also seen like 5-6 really solid PvP guilds ripped apart, in an effort to create an elite rated team.

You can't bust your *** to create an "unbeatable" rated team (presumably because you hate losing) and then at the same time complain that not enough people are willing to lose against you.

SWTOR rated has two possible endings:

Either the best 16 players end up in 2 guilds who play each other (and only each other) over and over to a .500 record.... Or, the best 8 players end up in 1 guild, and no one plays them at all.

Not sayin that's how it should be, but that's how it is.

See, thats the issue, is that we dont usually run our "perfect" rated team.

Usually, its an almagation of whoever's online, and sometimes several alts to fulfill roles. Very rarely is the entire a-team online at once.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody likes getting pounded by the same guilds over and over even though you know you aren't losing much respect due to the fact you lost to some of the top guilds we have on this server still nobody likes losing so really i don't see what motivation there is to do ranked until Bioware or whoever is running the show separates the more experienced guilds/teams from the more newer guilds/teams. just my 2 cents of the day.

Nobody likes getting pounded by the same guilds over and over even though you know you aren't losing much respect due to the fact you lost to some of the top guilds we have on this server still nobody likes losing so really i don't see what motivation there is to do ranked until Bioware or whoever is running the show separates the more experienced guilds/teams from the more newer guilds/teams. just my 2 cents of the day.

not gonna happen until they figure out cross-server pvp queue. there's just not enough people to have a meaningful match making system, especially not at 8 ppl.

it'd be much more conceivable if they were to have arenas like other MMO, where you can put 2v2, 3v3 in.

The PvP communities are much too small. The comprise potentially as few as 40 people or so on the entire server.

With that kind of number, you can have huge disparities in skill.

For PvP to be successful, no matter how awesome you think you are and that others should simply "get better", there has to be a huge range of skill levels and team ratings that are getting paired together.

A 500 rated team will never be as good as a 2000 rated team (arbitrary numbers). As a 2000 player, expecting 500 level players to simply "get better" is ludicrous. Instead of asking the lower rated teams to queue up so that you can perpetually pound them into oblivion for some altruistic notion of them getting better on your part, perhaps you should petition BW to let you play teams that are up to your "level" from other servers.

I use that word loosely as anyone who is truly serious about competitive PvP matches does not play SWTOR. SWTORs PvP, without matchmaking, is not competitive. I having a funny hunch you wouldn't like playing rateds the moment you were constantly playing teams as good as you are.

Yes, our community is small. But I'd hazard a guess that we have a few dozen top tier players, and likely double that number of players possessing at least above average skill. While that's insufficient for an emergent robust community, its more than enough if we organization. Some of you have said as much before, I don't doubt.

Community outreach. Assembling teams should be more inclusive, less cliquey. In a community as small as ours, tight exclusive groups are toxic. Lets take Chukles' massive kickball idea and run with it. All we need are a few folks with more initiative them myself. I won't captain a team, or do any legwork, but I'll play ball if I get asked.

- Jolly

I use that word loosely as anyone who is truly serious about competitive PvP matches does not play SWTOR. SWTORs PvP, without matchmaking, is not competitive. I having a funny hunch you wouldn't like playing rateds the moment you were constantly playing teams as good as you are.

Yeah, it was called the PTS and we enjoyed every moment of it. rofl. Coincidentally, our win/loss ratio was split almost evenly down the middle.

I'm sure there are several people from this server who were rank 1 gladiators in WoW, and yet they are now here playing swtor. I personally enjoy this game's PvP, at the highest level. Stomping pugs isnt fun beyond getting to mess with stupid specs and have some laughs at the retarded **** that happens.

Edited by IAmViiOLENT

This comes up all the time in guild chat in every guild and lets at least be honest it is no big mystery why people do not que for Ranked. We have a ton of small pvp guilds that group on a pretty regular basis and could probably field teams if they wanted to unfortunately they gave it a try got demolished and spit on and decided it was not worth it.

1: They do not like to lose that bad, now losing is not the worst thing to happen but you get a lot of matches where you get farmed and 3 capped. No one is going to keep queing for that, because surprise it is not fun. Especially when guilds don't keep members in check with the trash talk. Come on you just destroyed someones team and then you add insult to injury then expect them to come back? That is just naive when people lose and are called names they stop playing especially when there are no rewards.

2: No incentive but ranked comms, no one is going to que for ranked against the best teams just for the chance to get some ranked comms. When the alternative is to que for normal and have a far better chance at winning.

3: Many people "not me" want to do ranked but only if they have a specific team or guild with them. Even people who do ranked in a guild still only want to go if they have certain spots filled "healer anyone". The point is no one does Ranked for fun instead it turns into this huge meta game of what classes do we have on and who is currently qued, it is not about wanting to pvp ranked for the fun of it but just because you want to win and get the ego boost.

Conclusion: Ranked is broken and until the player base changes or they institute cross server it will stay a ghost town filled with the 1 percent of pvpers who care about it. While the 99 percent of us outside it will happily play in normals and rarely if ever even give it a thought.

Until the ONLY developer who is in charge of class balance stops playing his sniper and actually learns how to balance, (not going to happen) rateds is always going to suck.

I find it funny that the class balance issue always comes up. Lukewarm's Ateam usually consists of 1 jugg 1 mar 1 PT 1 Snipe 1 sin 2 ops and 1 sorc. The only class that is not represented is a merc and lets be honest if your still playing a merc you're wasting your time.

The PvP communities are much too small. The comprise potentially as few as 40 people or so on the entire server.

With that kind of number, you can have huge disparities in skill.

For PvP to be successful, no matter how awesome you think you are and that others should simply "get better", there has to be a huge range of skill levels and team ratings that are getting paired together.

A 500 rated team will never be as good as a 2000 rated team (arbitrary numbers). As a 2000 player, expecting 500 level players to simply "get better" is ludicrous. Instead of asking the lower rated teams to queue up so that you can perpetually pound them into oblivion for some altruistic notion of them getting better on your part, perhaps you should petition BW to let you play teams that are up to your "level" from other servers.

Rated pretty much needs x-server pvp and better rewards. Back when I used to do WoW arena i'd at least get a ****** mount that said "i'm better than you" once you make gladiator at the end of the season. The ranked rewards are garbage; who wants a different color of ugly gear?

Until the ONLY developer who is in charge of class balance stops playing his sniper and actually learns how to balance, (not going to happen) rateds is always going to suck.

^ this post is so random... none of the top teams on the Harbinger even have a sniper.

Nerf mercs too those guys are ruining rateds!

We used to only have one or two guilds that would keep queuing against us, and all the others wouldn't even queue once if we had 8 people on. Sounds to me like you guys have it good these days!

I used to think that cross server RWZ queues were what I wanted, but now I think it's going to take arenas for me to really get into rated PvP again. 4v4 arenas would make a lot more teams able to queue, and would be more about who could kill the other team, not who could use boring mechanics to delay the other team.

4v4 arena's would be great. Doubt they would even be able to implement that within a year.

This is a fun BS game to login and play a few WZ's with friends. Competitive pvp seems like a waste here, if I wanted that i'd go back to WoW. I'll just stick to enjoying the visual mind candy this game offers and have fun with friends. 8vs8 is a pipe dream with this single server archaic system.

OP should lift more or something and take his video game persona less seriously. Esp in this game.

Edited by DesmoLegacy

OP should lift more or something and take his video game persona less seriously. Esp in this game.

That would seriously cut down on his ************ time. I mean how is he supposed to constantly talk about how great he is in every available venue if he lets himself be aware of the smallness of the pond he's a "big" fish in?

I'm going to see what I can do to get ranked going again Pub side on this server, but it probably won't be until after 2.0.

The group I was queuing ranked with often in the fall broke apart in early December for career-related issues: I was promoted and transferred to Texas (yes, I know, but I'm learning to cope), another moved to Saudi Arabia for an oil job, and another's investment business took off. I hardly have time for this game anymore. However, my organization just hired another attorney in my division so my workload will, at least I hope, be manageable starting mid-April. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do to resurrect things. It is my contention that a server is only healthy, at least PVP-wise, when both factions have teams that regularly queue for ranked.

However, my organization just hired another attorney in my division so my workload will, at least I hope, be manageable starting mid-April.

Kuvox is an attorney. No wonder I want to kill you so much on my PowerTech, lol.

Actually, I am studying for the LSAT now. What kind of law do you practice? Sorry for calling you a "chicken" earlier...

Kuvox is an attorney. No wonder I want to kill you so much on my PowerTech, lol.

Actually, I am studying for the LSAT now. What kind of law do you practice? Sorry for calling you a "chicken" earlier...

I practice IP/patent law and have sold my soul to a Fortune 100. No more questions about my personal life please. :) And...Don't study for the LSAT. And don't go to law school. Just don't.

And...Don't study for the LSAT. And don't go to law school. Just don't.

Oh, why do you say that?

And tidusamy, do study for the LSAT, it is very much a learnable test. Just do a ton of old exams till you get it.

Edited by Z-ToXiN

Let's look at it from another angle.. If there are 500 people that were interested in RWZ spread across the board.. thats potentially 62 teams that would want to participate. Cross server Queues need to happen. There are probably more than that honestly. Out of 1 million people if 5 % want to compete for the king of the hill in PVP then that's even more potential teams. It's a given that its dependent on class / spec etc. But most people have more than one character.

1) Have a bracketed system.. with that many teams it would be viable. This way the 1000 ranked players arent playing the 2000's etc. This gives newer teams time to get polished, and work their way up to the Elite level. It will also improve the " B " teams that I know are out there that don't get to play as much a chance to be competitive. Not to mention may win back some of the good players that got bored and left the game because they couldn't get a legit RWZ match.

2) Have a penalty at least 24 hours for queue dodgers and people who leave a rwz match early. the only exception being a legit disconnect.

3) Make RWZ Viable for pugs ( which opens up the potential for even more teams ) by making the queue structured as it is in FP's this way the team imbalances would be less of a factor. At this point in the game it's on them if they don't know that they need to be geared.

Personally I find myself doing less and less PVP. Reason being other than a set of gear what do we have to shoot for ? Pugs for the most part from what I've seen are not as good as they were a few months ago largely due to the influx of new players I'm sure. We already know who the top guilds on the server are. You put the time in.. you got your gear.. you're a well oiled machine..and you wonder why the average player don't want to play with you ? Granted I know there are some above average players in non PVP guilds, no disrespect intended to those players. But to build a winning team takes time, effort and practice.

But as long as the community is divided and half the posts are people that think this is a bad idea.. Change is less likely to happen.. United we stand.... Divided we stay as we are and RWZ will eventually evaporate due to lack of participation. I don't doubt that Bioware will kill it if nobody plays.. So if we want change the time is now. while we still have a chance to make this happen but the majority needs to rule one way or the other once and for all.

This may not be the best idea but It's an idea. We can work together and work out the kinks to make everybody happy or we can do what we've been doing. We are the community that makes this game run if we come together we might be able to make this work. It beats post after post of complaints and discontent.

Edited by Jedibediah
new content

Oh, why do you say that?

And tidusamy, do study for the LSAT, it is very much a learnable test. Just do a ton of old exams till you get it.

Obviously tidusamy can go to law school if she/he wants. I just know that the market is flooded and labor economists don't expect that to change for at least a decade. At my organization we have interns with JDs from good schools in non-legal positions with loads of debt and little prospects of employment to boot. I feel for people like that and do what I can to dissuade all but the most determined from going into this very saturated field unless they go to a top 25 and get an MS or MBA degree alongside it (and even then...). Sorry to be a buzzkill but that's reality at the moment.

Two Reasons I dont do Ranked PvP

1: Scoundrel DPS Sucks at Ranked

2: I suck at ranked PvP....as I cant be THAT objective oriented.

Consequently there are a lot of other people who are with me in this situation. Ranked is too focused on lame map mechanics. Many players are not into the play style of Ranked PvP, the only reason regs are any different is because the number of worthless players objective wise(myself included) are also playing.

Lots of people are not choosing ranked for a myriad of reasons, but the largest among them is the lack of fun for most players. Matches are determined by factors outside of most players ability to counteract(bubble stun, smashapaloozas), which leads to a feeling of helplessness. Magnified by coordinated stuns, combined burst phases, and countless knockbacks, pulls, roots, and other crazy stuff, the game becomes almost unbearable for most. Ranked is garbage. I dont want it changed, and you guys can keep it, not like im missing out on anything anyway, most of the ranked excitement happens on these forums, and I can watch them all day.