Can we have an actually purpose for strongholds

JecVanguard

I understand that we may be getting another stronghold. As much as I welcome variety I feel that it's just another useless bunch of rooms that everyone will ignore. Surely a better option is to add an actual purpose for strongholds. Something we can actually use them for other than use as a cargo access. Perhaps some sort of event could be hosted by a SH owner that will gain them prestige. If Pazaak existed I'd suggest a Pazaak tournament where the owner stakes the prize money. Perhaps a PvP arena. I'm sure there are lots of ideas out there

I understand that we may be getting another stronghold. As much as I welcome variety I feel that it's just another useless bunch of rooms that everyone will ignore. Surely a better option is to add an actual purpose for strongholds. Something we can actually use them for other than use as a cargo access. Perhaps some sort of event could be hosted by a SH owner that will gain them prestige. If Pazaak existed I'd suggest a Pazaak tournament where the owner stakes the prize money. Perhaps a PvP arena. I'm sure there are lots of ideas out there

Perhaps :)

Roadmap

Discussion thread (one of many)

Player-guided discussion thread

Edited to add the above links. Felt bad for a sec

Edited by aerockyul

Perhaps :)

(look into the gold posts about the new stronghold)

^^ Yep... I'm not sure what rock the OP has been hiding under.. but apparently wherever it is... there is some sort of local ban on reading gold posts. :p

Protip to the OP ----> read the details on the new stronghold before getting all puffed up and demanding. :) Besides.. Stronghold have always had a purpose generally to most players ... it just may not be a purpose that applies to you personally.

Edited by Andryah

Perhaps some sort of event could be hosted by a SH owner that will gain them prestige. If Pazaak existed I'd suggest a Pazaak tournament where the owner stakes the prize money. Perhaps a PvP arena.

Those are some cool suggestions.

Here's one of my own. I always wished for the ability to create my own custom quests for other players to complete. They probably wouldn't ever allow this, but how sweet would it be to invite your friends over to your stronghold to complete a quest that you designed and wrote?

Obviously quest rewards like credits would have to come out of the quest designer's own wallet. And experience rewards would have to be forbidden entirely, so people don't abuse the system with power leveling.

Even if the above is impossible, they could still give us "hostile NPC" decorations to add to our strongholds...so that visitors could have some bad guys to fight!

Strongholds have purpose.

1. One-stop shopping right inside the first 10 feet of the zone-in to my stronghold with all of its accoutrement in one place - mod station, appearance station, vendor, guild bank, legacy bank, cargo hold, mailbox, the crafting droids, the crafting Jawas, and the GTN. Try being able to get to all those things within a few steps of each other in one place anywhere else, including fleet, which has everything spread out.

That is a purpose.

2. Decorating in a creative outlet. I like being able to make a really nice stronghold. I can consider the warm fuzzy I get while decorating a stronghold and subsequently walking through it just as much of a positive entertainment feedback loop as any other aspect of the game.

That is a purpose.

3. Parties! I can invite a bunch of guildies or strangers over in my fabu stronghold and have fun goofing off on my dance floor. It's entertainment. It's socialization.

That is a purpose.

4. I can use it as fast travel between two locations and return right where I was standing on the original planet or zone when I left if I need to get something.

That is a purpose.

5. I can communicate in gen chat of the given planet which my stronghold is on while in the relative peace of my own stronghold while I'm doing whatever.

That is a purpose.

6. Each stronghold I own provides up to a 25% boost toward a conquest bonus up to a max of 6 stronghold's worth at 150%. I do conquest. That bonus is useful for me.

That is a purpose.

7. I can assign keys to those players not fortunate enough or too new for strongholds of their own that they might avail themselves of my stronghold's amenities.

That is a purpose.

SO, OP, I must disagree 100% with your premise.

1. One-stop shopping right inside the first 10 feet of the zone-in to my stronghold with all of its accoutrement in one place - mod station, appearance station, vendor, guild bank, legacy bank, cargo hold, mailbox, the crafting droids, the crafting Jawas, and the GTN. Try being able to get to all those things within a few steps of each other in one place anywhere else, including fleet, which has everything spread out.

That is a purpose.

2. Decorating in a creative outlet. I like being able to make a really nice stronghold. I can consider the warm fuzzy I get while decorating a stronghold and subsequently walking through it just as much of a positive entertainment feedback loop as any other aspect of the game.

That is a purpose.

3. Parties! I can invite a bunch of guildies or strangers over in my fabu stronghold and have fun goofing off on my dance floor. It's entertainment. It's socialization.

That is a purpose.

4. I can use it as fast travel between two locations and return right where I was standing on the original planet or zone when I left if I need to get something.

That is a purpose.

5. I can communicate in gen chat of the given planet which my stronghold is on while in the relative peace of my own stronghold while I'm doing whatever.

That is a purpose.

6. Each stronghold I own provides up to a 25% boost toward a conquest bonus up to a max of 6 stronghold's worth at 150%. I do conquest. That bonus is useful for me.

That is a purpose.

7. I can assign keys to those players not fortunate enough or too new for strongholds of their own that they might avail themselves of my stronghold's amenities.

That is a purpose.

SO, OP, I must disagree 100% with your premise.

I have used them for everything you mentioned but the parties

I found my stronghold be be the most convenient and useful thing.

As much as I welcome variety I feel that it's just another useless bunch of rooms that everyone will ignore.

Not everyone 'ignores' them. For me they are a major part of my gameplay and fun. I love decorating strongholds and earning credits and decos for that purpose is probably the only thing keeping me in the game when there is no story.

Not everyone 'ignores' them. For me they are a major part of my gameplay and fun. I love decorating strongholds and earning credits and decos for that purpose is probably the only thing keeping me in the game when there is no story.

Better Homes & Spaceships is my favorite minigame in TOR (followed closely by Space Barbies).

Edited by AscendingSky

I want a big stronghold that I can decorate with gates and such to host Speeder races.

I also wish we had an ABC music system (like LOTRO) so we could play player-created music in our own cantinas (and other cantinas around the game).

I wish there was a public access storage system, so that I could leave goodies and holiday gifts for visitors.

I'm also hoping they'll come out with working mini-game table decorations, both single and multi-player. I'd love to make a dejarik cantina.

1. Not everyone ignores the stronghold. Some of us actually enjoy the strongholds.

2. Maybe reading some of the gold posts would be a good idea, since they mentioned that Rishi could be used to pvp if you wish to have it in your stronghold. I know we will set up the guild one as pvp.

Edited by casirabit

That is a purpose.

All of the entry rooms in all of my strongholds are set up like this. It would be #1 on my list of reasons as well.

All of the entry rooms in all of my strongholds are set up like this. It would be #1 on my list of reasons as well.

^^ Same here.. though I only have 4 strongholds set up this way (the rest are less efficient for this). Nar Shadda remains my favorite for this purpose given how the entry room is set-up, and since I originally set up my first GTN character on Nar way back before we had GTNs that served both Imp and Pub (with Nar being the exception and was always open for both).

I really hope they set up Rishi such that you can put all the one-stop-and-hop features right at the entry point. That said.. is still very much want a decoration (or a player option) to put the entry point of a Stronghold where I want it instead of where the studio decides.

One-Stop-and-hop via Strongholds was one of the biggest QoL features added to the game.

Edited by Andryah

Wait, you mean to tell me that the strongholds have no purpose? Then why are they even in this game?! Waste of resources if you... oh wait... they just don't meet YOUR needs/wants for them. Never mind. Gotta watch how you word things, might cause a panic!

Since it's been stated before about their plans for strongholds I won't bring that up but I can guarantee you that they certainly have a purpose and a LOT of people utilize them for their purpose. Between the conquest buff, creativity release, community center, or just a main hub for an individual where they can have most of the stuff they need in one place, I'd say they are fitting the majority of needs as they are and the devs are working to add to it in the near future.

Personally I spend pretty much all of my time in game in my SH when I'm not doing quests, GSF, or helping people. So they serve their purpose just fine for me.

Now if only there was a better way to get Cartel Certificates than to spend hours and millions of credits at a Contraband Slot Machine, so that I could buy a couple of medical droids to add to my new stronghold...

Now if only there was a better way to get Cartel Certificates than to spend hours and millions of credits at a Contraband Slot Machine, so that I could buy a couple of medical droids to add to my new stronghold...

Or you can do what I did and create a guild and sit back and have your members bribe you with cartel certificate stuff.

35 dancing male twi'leks and 122 senator rugs later, life's good.

This. I love the decorating and designing aspect of strongholds a lot, but the convenience aspects rate high for me, too. Having everything you need at your stronghold means you can stay away from the fleet as much as possible, and have a quiet space to avoid roving rakghoul plague victims and the trolling that seems to be ubiquitous on the fleet.

This. I love the decorating and designing aspect of strongholds a lot, but the convenience aspects rate high for me, too. Having everything you need at your stronghold means you can stay away from the fleet as much as possible, and have a quiet space to avoid roving rakghoul plague victims and the trolling that seems to be ubiquitous on the fleet.

Exactly.

Sadly.....those who complain about fleet populations and that they cannot get an ad hoc group together by spamming fleet chat either fail to understand this.. or simply refuse to.

I literally can go weeks without ever setting foot on fleet now days.. and I actually like that QoL aspect of Strongholds.

Edited by Andryah

Exactly.

Sadly.....those who complain about fleet populations and that they cannot get an ad hoc group together by spamming fleet chat either fail to understand this.. or simply refuse to.

I literally can go weeks without ever setting foot on fleet now days.. and I actually like that QoL aspect of Strongholds.

I never understand why people try to use the fleet as a barometer for the game's health for this reason. I've actually taken to grabbing a chunk of change from my Legacy bank and having each alt buy all their mods up through Level 65 at one time so they only have to endure the fleet once.

If it wasn't for the few vendors and quest givers one can't find elsewhere, I'd never go to the fleet at all, really. When I do have to be there I'm getting in and out as fast as possible.