DPS scrapper switching to healer

maximanissan

Hi folks. I'm a scrapper and wanted to switch to sawbones spec. I currently have a mix of Columi/Rakata (enforcer gear) and some Black hole gear. I feel I would better serve my guild better as a healer. My question is whats the best way to gear up as a healer after having all that dps gear? Do i need to start from square one again and start building up healer gear through Flashpoints etc or is there an easier way? Could i heal effectively enough in the dps gear i have or would that not be sufficient? Just wanted your thoughts. Thanks.

Hi folks. I'm a scrapper and wanted to switch to sawbones spec. I currently have a mix of Columi/Rakata (enforcer gear) and some Black hole gear. I feel I would better serve my guild better as a healer. My question is whats the best way to gear up as a healer after having all that dps gear? Do i need to start from square one again and start building up healer gear through Flashpoints etc or is there an easier way? Could i heal effectively enough in the dps gear i have or would that not be sufficient? Just wanted your thoughts. Thanks.

Honestly you can probably be fine starting out in your DPS gear. The reason being is all the stats you have on your DPS gear will still help your heals. The only real difference between Healer gear and DPS gear is Alacrity or accuracy. Which honestly neither really help you. I mainly PvP so I cannot give you much advice, but for me I actually have my gear set such that I can effectively switch between heals or DPS in the middle of a Warzone. I have the 2 set bonus from Enforcer PvE gear and then the 2 Set bonus from PvP healer gear. I do have two pieces of gear that I kept the alacrity one just to help speed up my UWM cast, but otherwise you don't need to much alacrity since you can get some nice speed boost from the talents.

Hope this helps

I used to play scoundrel and even when I only used it as a healer I was still wearing more pieces from dps sets than healer set. Many pieces of the dps gear is actually better for healer than the healer items because the dps piece has higher cunning while the healer set has too many pieces with high endurance and low cunning.

Any accuracy rating from the dps gear is of course completely useless for a healer, but the healing gear would only replace the accuracy with alacrity, which gives very little benefit since most of your heals are instant cast which do not benefit from alacrity anyway

As for the set bonus, getting the 2-set bonus as soon as you can is kind of nice, but don't bother with the 4-set bonus.

You can continue playing with your current gear, you only need to:

1. Replace all Accuracy enhancements with Alacrity

2. Get set bonus (optimal is 2-piece PvE, 2-piece PvP)

So yes, you don't need to re-grind all the gear, you can go in with DPS gear, but be prepared to being 5-10% down on healing compared to healing gear (Alacrity does make difference in PvE - UWM 1.8s vs 2.5s is quite handy, also set bonus makes Kolto Cloud much better)/