Do you think Taris is enjoyable?

Erethrian

Hello guys

I've been playing this game since Beta and I remember te first time I got to Taris. The planet seemed quite well represented to me (after what happened 300 years ago) but, that was just some parts of the story and the overall planet. As I was playing on Taris I found myself pretty annoyed because of the location of some quests and a story not so engaging as the one from other planets.

I won't write a wall of text here so despite of my own reasons for loving/hating some aspects of Taris, I'd like to know what you guys think about Taris. Is Taris enjoyable to you? Why or why not?

Thanks! ;)

PS: There're similar threads, but the one that sticks to this subject is in the french forums. ;)

Edited by Erethrian

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taris isn't too bad storywise i found, What really got me was the paths. Having to go massively out of way some of the time was a right royal pain in the backside.But asfar as planets go i;d give taris a 6/10. Not great not terrible but passable.

I actually enjoyed Taris but that might be because it simply wasn't Coruscant and I was just happy to get out of there. While Taris may have been a pain in the backside (with all those paths and trails), Coruscant was just plain tedious. I really wish they could have differentiated the class stories a bit more because the thought that each time I start a new Republic-aligned character I have to go through all the Coruscant missions again...ugh.

Hello,

Comando story: at Taris... meh... will see with other toons soon.

Planet story: I really enjoyed! I have been tied to my chair until I had finally finished quest of promised land. Thou I have been quite disapointed by last note... it was not the happy ending after all but at least thoee poor people from under city had better days.

Paths are pain in the A, in most planets so I will not speak about those.

B.R.

Leigabar

Edited by Leigabar

empire taris is one of the best planets.

First of all, thank you all for your responses.

Now, yeah, I played through Taris with my Sith and I enjoyed a lot of it, even if I hated how they did the paths. Now I'm playing through it with my Jedi Consular and I find it quite annoying. Maybe it's because the path/location of the quests thing, but whatever it is, I just can't enjoy this planet the way I'd like to.

Edited by Erethrian

When i get to taris now, i will most likely just do the story quest and skip the rest, im a sub and been using xp boosts so i have normally outlevld the next planet i get to, and i remember from Taris on my OP i was so tired of this place on then end. but well see, definitely not one of my favorites

It depends on what side i play i can bare it with the empire but on the republic side i think it drags on too long and can't stand it so i try to get off it as soon as possible. i hate the constant same enemies the rakghoul are a boring enemy to kill and thats really all taris consists of but then again na shaa da not the best of planets either

Hello,

Comando story: at Taris... meh... will see with other toons soon.

Planet story: I really enjoyed! I have been tied to my chair until I had finally finished quest of promised land. Thou I have been quite disapointed by last note... it was not the happy ending after all but at least thoee poor people from under city had better days.

Paths are pain in the A, in most planets so I will not speak about those.

B.R.

Leigabar

I'm not a massive fan of Taris but it's OK. I think you can just change you statement to Commando story: ... meh meaning the Commando story being the most dull and lifeless writing in the game.

I loved Taris. When I first did it at game launch I thought: "ok, swamp with Rakghoul's. cool." Then when I returned to the republic on a new character, I swore to level him quickly but enjoyably. So I did ALL Taris missions, and I loved the story of it: helping people rebuild Taris, it was the first planet I did all heroics and missions, I even solod my last heroic. Maybe it's just my inner KOTOR fanboy, but I did love the story to the promised ones. I nearly cried when i learned they all died out.

What I did love though, was my last mission of the entire planet, (besides said heroic) was that Someone needed help, and I chose the option: "let me guess, Rakghouls" and I was just thinking that in my head. Fit perfectly. This character was a Jedi guardian, when i did my operative, I was shocked there were so many connections between imperial and republic Taris (usually the imperials going to republic mission areas, and undoing what they started), and even the class stories were connected.

To rap it up: I loved Taris. But it was long, I only redid my favorite missions, like the endar spire and the Rakghoul vaccine.

On Imperial side Taris is ok, but on Republic side i cannot stand Taris, I hate it sooooo much on Rep. And the main reason is Rakghouls. The republics start you out early on escalating kill missions. By this i mean in Coruscant there are a lot of kill 15 black sun then kill 45 black sun. Ord Mantell has you killing 50 of them in the stronghold. Even though you will kill 50 just to get to the objectives, 50 is still a rediculous amount.

But back to Taris...i actually added up the number of Rakghouls you had to kill for all mission objectives. Regular bonus objectives, bonus series and so on. It wasnt even an estimate...i had done Taris so many times on my Rep toons that i had every mission memorized at the time i did the count which was a few months ago. I came up with like 400 something Rakghouls that you had to kill. Like i said i did the count 4 months ago when i knew exactly how many i had to kill and i had a accurate number. But now i just know it was above 400...or maybe above 200, but i'm pretty sure it was 400 something.

On Imperial side Taris is ok, but on Republic side i cannot stand Taris, I hate it sooooo much on Rep. And the main reason is Rakghouls. The republics start you out early on escalating kill missions. By this i mean in Coruscant there are a lot of kill 15 black sun then kill 45 black sun. Ord Mantell has you killing 50 of them in the stronghold. Even though you will kill 50 just to get to the objectives, 50 is still a rediculous amount.

But back to Taris...i actually added up the number of Rakghouls you had to kill for all mission objectives. Regular bonus objectives, bonus series and so on. It wasnt even an estimate...i had done Taris so many times on my Rep toons that i had every mission memorized at the time i did the count which was a few months ago. I came up with like 400 something Rakghouls that you had to kill. Like i said i did the count 4 months ago when i knew exactly how many i had to kill and i had a accurate number. But now i just know it was above 400...or maybe above 200, but i'm pretty sure it was 400 something.

That's not even counting all the ones you have to kill when just trying to get around because you get a biiit to close to an aggro group

Taris isn't bad if its your first time going there. It gets old after the third or fourth playthrough, though.

I went through Taris twice with imperial classes and I know I wouldn't like a third time by now. But, playing as a jedi consular at this time I must say I'm starting to think it's quite well done (not talking about the paths obviously, but about the story and quests lines), but I can just say this because Taris in the republic side is somewhat different than the imperial one. If they'd have done Taris the same for both factions I'd be hating it atm.

It's a trashed planet, rahghouls and other things realtively annoying.

The pathing of the speeders and how the map lights up the wrong stuff is just plain annoying. Plot wise and general access - both versions of Balmorra is preffered.

However, the really REALLY bright morning lighting on the Republic hurts. Although accurate to the normal light levels of KOTOR 1's version of the plenet. I enjoy the dusk setting way more.

Like some of the other commenters, I really loathed it by the time I got my fourth Pub character through it. The speeder pathing is dumb and illogical (backtracking? Really?), the footpaths confusing, especially when coupled with the map, which can be hard to read if you haven't been over the planet five times. I did it pre-Legacy speeder, so I was having to walk (or Sprint) eveywhere.

Then I hit it with my first Imperial...and for some reason, I grew to like it a lot. I think partially because as another commenter said, it's the only planet that ever displays a night cycle. Just that one change made a huge difference in my experience of it. The Imperial planet quest was fun. And I found it really enjoyable all the callbacks they did to the Republic Taris storyline, from some NPC cameos to one of the Imperial class quests having weak ties into one of the Republic class quests.

I wound up having to visit Taris with one of my Level 50 Pub characters to tie up her leveling stories, and it was so strange to do so after the culmination of her story line and knowing what I did of what happens to Taris in Chapter 2 under the Imperial storyline. It literally felt like stepping back into time, more than any other experience I've had to do.

Edited by AlixMV

Well... this is not an easy question.

Republic Taris questline was quite boring. Nothing really engaging happened there. The only bright moment for me was discovering the fate of an undeground colony which i helped back in KOTOR. Yeah, they ended up bad and that saddened me, but at least it was something. But i liked the general idea of restoring the planet i've known and seen destroyed with my own eyes.

Imperial Taris questline, on the opposite, was fun and engaging, but... I couldn't bear their ultimate goal on this planet. It just didn't make much sense and ruined everything else for me. First, i understand that reps started their restoration project in order to inspire their own people, which is undesirable, but it would take years for them to achieve any significant results. Why then would you dedicate any resources to stop the project right now? Especially when they can be used elswhere for the actual warfare? Second, if you really want to interfere that bad, why then would you want to stop the restoration project at all? Why not taking it over and restoring the planet for the glory of the Empire? Taris was an Imperial planet in its last days after all.

Also, there's one more negative side of leveling there. If you first went through the planet storyline with your republic character, then it would be quite unpleasant to do the same on your imp, ruining your own progress that was achived with some hard effort. Same goes for Balmorra and Corellia (the latter was just ridiculous, i was so pissed to undo everything i've achieved on my SI while leveling there on JK).

Edited by Trollokdamus

You could say it grew on me, and that would be a fair description.

I remember my first time there, I didnt like it much, but after getting to know the lay of the land and flow of the missions, I actually quite like it now, and would rate it much higher than any of the city type worlds(coruscant/shadda/corellia) I cannot stand these, and hate them more, the more I play them.

I have 11 50's and I'm on my 12th toon now :)

Tatooine is my favourite, but again, I wasnt too fond of it on my first run through.

A few important things to note, my last 4 or 5 toons, Ive used the legacy perk to get the speeder at level 10, and this is really a game changer, also, Taris and Balmorra come up a lot in these types of threads on different factions because they sit in opposing level zones, for imperial, you'll be walking on balmorra, where as you'll be close to level-2 speeder on republic, and its the same for Taris, walking with republic, and close to lvl-2 speeder on imperial, so feedback on these planets, even though they are virtually identical will be different because of the speeder or lack of.

Also, these are the first "big" planets both factions are put into, and it shows, as after you leave these, you will see a sharp drop off of player numbers.

I remember vividly, my first republic toon and coming to Balmorra, which I really disliked on the imperial side(this was before the legacy patch) and just how different it felt because of the speeder, I was like, wow! this is not bad at all.

Edited by Mowermanx