A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

You assume they're going to change it, that it's temporary.

All they've said about it is:

• It's a "fix" for a "bug".
  • They're looking into it.

If you haven't been conditioned to being disappointed in EA, then you haven't been playing their games long enough.

Been playing since Beta, I have 6 level 50s and my main is BiS gear. It will be fixed, I think it took them a while to realize it was a bug rather than just qq over a change. The time it's taking to fix is annoying, but it is what it is.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been playing since Beta, I have 6 level 50s and my main is BiS gear. It will be fixed, I think it took them a while to realize it was a bug rather than just qq over a change. The time it's taking to fix is annoying, but it is what it is.

You know, I can wait until next month for the fix.

What I want is for them to come in here and say, "Yep, it's a bug. Sorry. We're fixing it." Soon.

They haven't said that. Extended silence on their part usually means the players are getting bent over. They're normally fairly quick to communicate things we'll be happy with, but take their time to try to "craft the message" when it's going to irritate us.

I can't imagine why they haven't figured out that irritated players directly equates to reduced revenue, especially after the mass exodus in Spring 2012, but that's another topic entirely.

Defenders of the increased repair cost keep forgetting one crucial thing.

People want to play Star Wars. Star Wars.

Not Grind Wars; not Trade Wars. If they wanted to play Grind Wars, they'd be playing D3. If they wanted to play Trade Wars, they'd be playing GW2. But they don't. They want to play Star Wars, and want to do it without having to worry about in-game money. Especially when some of them have to worry about RL money too.

AB-SO-LU-TE-LY!

YES, that what we want!!!

You know, I can wait until next month for the fix.

What I want is for them to come in here and say, "Yep, it's a bug. Sorry. We're fixing it." Soon.

They haven't said that. Extended silence on their part usually means the players are getting bent over. They're normally fairly quick to communicate things we'll be happy with, but take their time to try to "craft the message" when it's going to irritate us.

I can't imagine why they haven't figured out that irritated players directly equates to reduced revenue, especially after the mass exodus in Spring 2012, but that's another topic entirely.

I agree, the silence on the issue is disturbing.

So, you run an OP or HM FP once? I cannot see any reason why you would like to do the same stuff over and over again, mindlessly beating the same content.

It's for the rewards you get, you say? That gear that drops in those OP's and HM FP's is your reward for mindlessly beating the same content you've already beaten? Guess what. Those credits you get for doing those dailies are you reward for mindlessly beating that same content which you've already beaten.

The thing about those credits is that while dailies may be the most efficient to earn credits, they are by no means the ONLY way to earn them. There are plenty of ways to earn credits. Some of them can be even done, or at least mostly accomplished, while doing the "fun" stuff.

Nope, I did them few times, actually. But i hardly find it interesting anymore. Once you learned the tactics, bosses and mechanics (that can be learned max at 3rd time), you just do it as a programmed droid.

You call it fun??

For example I did LI HM only twice. I found the content difficulty and rewards at big discrepancy, so I stopped doing that.

I can do BH Corellia as fast as 12-15 minutes, some HM FPs with similar speed if all group does it for BH comms.

That is the amount of time I am willing to spend on mindless beating the same content.

Not more.

Section X? done few times only, mostly If there's nothing else to do, just to complete weekly - because, except for H4 the rest takes waaaay too long.

Yet I still managed to gear up.

Question is for WHAT REASON?

What can it do with that high end game gear, if there is no content it can be used? Ok, I would gladly help other newcomers, but I am not willing to pay high costs for any repairs just because we died.

Doing PVP at least makes it more useful because even if in full EWH you may find difficult groups to fight against.

And the repairs cost you, guess what, NOTHING!!!

That is being said by a person who never did any PVP before SWTOR :)

I've done numerous tests on my low level characters and yes I can state catagorically that levelling through the game is not impacted by this change, believe it or be a sheep, I don't care.

except others have seen differently Mr Spock. So peer review shows you either had flaws in your testing or you falsified results. Your claims of empirical evidence do not trump others. Try again.

Should we give everyone everything for free? That way no one has to worry about in-game money. Everybody can just run around waving their glow sticks and playing Star Wars. That would be kind of ridiculous, wouldn't it? So why is it ridiculous for players to actually do something to earn credits?

They should charge 100k per death....that way you can really work for the rewards you get.

Does no one realize this was a bug that has now been fixed?

While this may be true and is a phrase I see often bandied about I have one simple question.

HOW DO WE KNOW IT WAS A BUG?

All we have is BW/EA word for it, so let me just for one brief moment play devil's advocate here. What if they wanted to reduce the loading upon their server clusters which perform the processing for operations due to heavy usage, or just simply wanted to remove an over abundance of credits (in their opinion) within the game. Easy solution bump the repair costs up forefold and say it was a bug. How would we know any difference?

This is the central point, WAS IT A BUG FIX or an attempt to solve a problem on their end that would otherwise require someone to authorize digging into the company coffers for hardware upgrades.

So, claim a software bug and make a simple software change or spend $xxxx on bring hardware up to spec.

Remember this is EA we are talking about here.

Personally any information produced at this point by BW/EA to show repair costs were broken should be treated as suspect, how can we as the final consumers know it's veracity.

Edited by Lynsunom
spelling errors and puntuation

It's Bioware's priorities that make me angry more than anything. Here are some of the things that players liked that they "fixed:"

1. Using exit area to avoid repair costs

2. Reasonable repair costs for wiping

3. Sharing completed Gree missions

(by the way, if players are sharing mission to avoid doing them, maybe instead of fixing it, you should be asking yourselves why players would want to avoid content?)

And here are some bugs that were not fixed, because they were too busy inconveniencing players:

1. Quick travel not working on Ilum

2. Alderaan Civil War speeder forgets your focus target

I'm sure there are many more examples for both categories, but hopefully my point is made.

Amazing that we have YET to see a Bioware response truly addressing this issue and what fixes are planned. Multiple threads, hundreds of pages, thousands of views and SILENCE from the Developers for a week as of tomorrow. We got a "it's working as intended" from Beesodd and "we're looking into it" by Joveth last week, then nothing. It's mind-boggling.

They pushed 1.7 with no QA because they KNEW stuff was broken; they just didn't care.

This thread and the calculations done by the OP prove increased repair costs are clearly a bug, and one they seem to have no intention of rectifying.

http://www.swtor.com/community/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=5874693

Sadly, this is exactly what I've been in denial over for the last year.

The inmates aren't running the asylum; the building is empty.

I shudder to think what game-breaking bug will be pushed in the future.

This game had so much bloody potential. What a waste.

I'm really tired, disappointed and finally harassed by a software house unworthy of my subscription. I am GM of a guild and the new repair costs are a threat to all those who want to raid.

Now we are all really obliged to farm dailies only to allow us to repair. It makes no sense.

I am really tired of having to bear all these fail. I bought the expansion but now I'm sick and I do not care to continue to be teased.

Bye.

Edited by Isaac_Stern
updated

Let me add that in addition to the increased costs in game, one of the reasons I (and many I know) left WoW was the gated content that is accessible only through a daily grind. If they want to get rid of their paying player base they sure are doing a good job of it.

So, you run an OP or HM FP once? I cannot see any reason why you would like to do the same stuff over and over again, mindlessly beating the same content.

It's for the rewards you get, you say? That gear that drops in those OP's and HM FP's is your reward for mindlessly beating the same content you've already beaten? Guess what. Those credits you get for doing those dailies are you reward for mindlessly beating that same content which you've already beaten.

The thing about those credits is that while dailies may be the most efficient to earn credits, they are by no means the ONLY way to earn them. There are plenty of ways to earn credits. Some of them can be even done, or at least mostly accomplished, while doing the "fun" stuff.

That's because you are speaking authoritatively about something that you have little information about. ;p

As a raiding guild we have to run dual content in order to continually gear up our ranks and keep them full and able to run progression. A guild that does not do so will die....and now we are seeing guilds that do dying because of the increased cost of repair that is turning people away from volunteering to run those extra OPs.

Edited by Blackardin

That's because you are speaking authoritatively about something that you have little information about. ;p

As a raiding guild we have to run dual content in order to continually gear up our ranks and keep them full and able to run progression. A guild that does not do so will die....and now we are seeing guilds that do dying because of the increased cost of repair that is turning people away from volunteering to run those extra OPs.

I'm very familiar with running a second or even third raid group to gear up alts. I've done it many times. I've seen new recruits join our guild, use our guild to gear up, and then leave once they got the gear they wanted. Tell me again how I have little information about raiding?

Should 63's have the same repair cost as 2's? Should campaign gear have the same repair costs the gear you start in? After all, those dailies you mentioned don't give more credits if you're in campaign gear than they would if you were in starting gear.

Repair gear should be based on the level of the gear, not the player. With moddable gear that means it should be based on the level and value of the item modifications, but not the level or value of the shell. Purple 15's should cost more to repair than blue 15's and purple 63's should cost more to repair than purple 61's. It should not cost more to repair a purple campaign shell with all 63's than to repair a level 15 orange shell with those same 63's.

Based on level of the player, not gear. Basing it on gear is a failed system that will only further frustrate and drive players away. Increasing that cost to the extreme is as failed a system as experience and level losses for deaths. Its all been tried and failed before.

It will further diminish the effectiveness of guilds and greatly damage a large aspect of the game. The trickle down will take a few months, but the result will be very evident and the game will once again take a downward swing as a result.

I'm very familiar with running a second or even third raid group to gear up alts. I've done it many times. I've seen new recruits join our guild, use our guild to gear up, and then leave once they got the gear they wanted. Tell me again how I have little information about raiding?

If you do understand the concept, then I'm boggled as to why you would post the argument that you did knowing full well how it will negatively impact the process. You argued as to why someone would do it many times as if you failed to understand it, yet have done so yourself with a legitimate reason.

Seems to me that you were just arguing to argue because you apparently understand how difficult it is to get fully geared raiders to do those runs yet fail to acknowledge the cost added to time will further deter them from doing so and therefor inhibit your guild's ability to fill its ranks and continue on.

Ok so Bio is ignoring everyone, we got that. Now what is their goal?

1. Running some kind of test to determine if it will effect the GTN?

2. Trying to push people out of an armor to something in the cartel market you have to pay real money for?

3. Soak up credits?

4. Introduce armor/item repair kits to the cartel market so we have to pay real money or keep paying high credits?

5. Sitting about a table discussing reducing but how much?

6. Trying to wait it out, not say anything hoping everyone will eventually forget it?

7. Just don't care?

It's frustrating watching this game bleed customers daily people getting more and more upset and Bio just sitting in silence. I keep getting an image of Nero playing a fiddle while Rome burns.

Edited by Cindron

Ok so Bio is ignoring everyone, we got that. Now what is their goal?

1. Running some kind of test to determine if it will effect the GTN?

2. Trying to push people out of an armor to something in the cartel market you have to pay real money for?

3. Soak up credits?

4. Introduce armor/item repair kits to the cartel market so we have to pay real money or keep paying high credits?

5. Sitting about a table discussing reducing but how much?

6. Trying to wait it out, not say anything hoping everyone will eventually forget it?

7. Just don't care?

It's frustrating watching this game bleed customers daily people getting more and more upset and Bio just sitting in silence. I keep getting an image of Nero playing a fiddle while Rome burns.

#6 & #7 most likely.

I see nothing wrong with having people in the top end gear paying more for repairs considering that loot they get. I am against repair cost that go well into the hundreds though. I recently had to pay 29k with my Jedi Guardian in mostly black hole and I never even died. I did a few ops, a few HM FPS, Section X and Black Hole for comms. I never died once but my repair bill was 29k which is probably including my companion.

I sent in a bug report about a large amount of credits I had to pay in repairs while doing content while flagged during the Ilum event. I had only been killed by other players yet I had a repair fee. I only do pvp with that toon so it was odd to see a repair bill that was high. I do not remember the old ilum charging me for pvp deaths.

That is just my criticism on the matter.

Edited by SentinelDranoel

Based on level of the player, not gear. Basing it on gear is a failed system that will only further frustrate and drive players away. Increasing that cost to the extreme is as failed a system as experience and level losses for deaths. Its all been tried and failed before.

It will further diminish the effectiveness of guilds and greatly damage a large aspect of the game. The trickle down will take a few months, but the result will be very evident and the game will once again take a downward swing as a result.

So a 50 in orange gear with 11 mods should have to pay as much as a 50 in orange gear with all 63's? The 50 with all 63's should pay as little as the 50 with 11's? Repair costs should be based on level of gear and not level of player.

Even the great and powerful Blizzard knows that makes no sense to base repair costs on player level. Repair costs in WOW are based on the level of the item, and not the player.

We know there appears to be a bug and repair costs are not being calculated as intended. People are paying more based on the shell, and other factors. This needs to be fixed. Fixing this will in all likelihood lower repair costs, maybe not to pre 1.7 costs, but lower than they are now.

HOW DO WE KNOW IT WAS A BUG?

If you go look at the release notes you will see that not even BW claims it's a bug. They say that "previously items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements." Note that this doesn't appear under any of the bug fixes, and there isn't anything that remotely suggests equipment repair should have been based on the vendor resale value of the shell. So no, it wasn't a bug.

If you do understand the concept, then I'm boggled as to why you would post the argument that you did knowing full well how it will negatively impact the process. You argued as to why someone would do it many times as if you failed to understand it, yet have done so yourself with a legitimate reason.

Seems to me that you were just arguing to argue because you apparently understand how difficult it is to get fully geared raiders to do those runs yet fail to acknowledge the cost added to time will further deter them from doing so and therefor inhibit your guild's ability to fill its ranks and continue on.

Obviously the concept of sarcasm escapes you. Allow me to quote the post to which I was responding:

If my guild leader would say something like that , he would not be my guild leader any longer.

I mean, this is ENTERTAINMENT. I pay for this to enjoy it, not to WORK on it. Full stop.

I have other work that I HAVE to do in order to pay my family bills, so I do not see ANY reason to be forced to do the same stuff all over again for months just to have +7 willpower or God Knows What other statistic.

To certain extent people who do those daillies/weeklies constantly must be somehow masochists.

I cannot see any other reason why you would like to do the same stuff over and over again, mindlessly beating the same content forever.

Once you did finished something (i.e. beaten the full op, or FP), got your rewards, you're done.

Over.

I bolded the important part. Now, my response to that post:

The poster I was responding to wanted to defend the her position of refusing to do dailies, or otherwise earn credits to pay for repairs. She claims there is no point in doing the same thing over and over again, and mindlessly beating the same content. I was using sarcasm to point out that doing OP's or HM FP's is doing the same thing over and over and mindlessly beating the same content, exactly why she claims she refuses to do dailies or anything else to earn credits to pay for repairs.

By using sarcasm, I was able to point out the flaw in her argument.