Can we talk about Amplifiers?

Pandoras_Jar

Problem is, its not a trivial damage increase.

At minimum its 9 pieces of a potential 1.5% damage increase.

9x1.5 is... lesse... carry the ****ton and... 9x1.5 is 13.5

so its a potential 13.5% damage increase just for getting lucky.

Thats a lot of damage.

If it capped out at 1.5% damage increase total people wouldn't be as pissed off.

If it capped out as not affecting damage in the slightest we would be offering constructive criticism on how to improve the system as it exists.

As it stands now this is simply an unacceptable new layer of RNG on top of an already RNG gearing system.

I honestly don't understand why your complaining.

If it's because some players might squeeze out more dps, or healing, or tanking stats then another with the same set of gear, well, that doesn't always make the best player. I've seen people in wz's with much lower gear than myself and they kick *** cause they know how to play there character. You say, "If it capped out at 1.5% damage increase total people wouldn't be as pissed off". What people? I'm not one of those. You may want it that way but I'd be ecstatic with an increase of 13.5% damage.

If it's because of RNG, well, that's the way the game is. It has been for a while. Now, it's adding more RNG. I've come to accept it and presume others have too. If RNG is so unacceptable to you maybe it's time to find another mmo that doesn't and you'll be a happier person. Just so you know, I'm not a huge fan of RNG either, but I understand the developers have put it into the game and more than likely will never take it out. They would probably shut the game down before they had to reprogram everything to eliminate the RNG features.

I see your passionate about this and that's good. I just suggest giving it a try before damning the whole thing to hell.

EDIT: totally unrelated but I find it funny that I can't type the word '***' (rhymes with 'pass') but I can type the word 'butt'.

Edited by Banthabreeder

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would have been better if they had gone with a different system for amplifiers from the start. Perhaps even something similar to what Star Wars Galaxies had with their powerbit system.

It's very similar.

Many different types of stats can be added to weapons/armor with varying values from 1-35.

Looted armor/weapons have randomly generated values.

You take various junk loot and combine them into a stat (constitution - as an example - more health/hitpoints)

Now, there are specific combination of junk loot that make a constitution stat.

Other combinations of junk loot make other stats....luck/action....whatever. The same combinations make the same stats every single time. No RNG at all.

Now, you take the looted item with the numerical value and can pull a numbered powerbit out of that, destroying the looted armor/weapon in the process.

You combine the two bits and get what could be an amplifier with a single stat.

You can do this up to the max value for any specific stat.

My point is, there are systems out there that do essentially the same thing that don't involve RNG.

They didn't HAVE to use RNG for this system.

They CHOSE to.

Here's a video that someone made on how it's done in SWG (yeah, it closed a long time ago, but there are emulators out there and people are still playing).

I'm pissed off, am I not a person?

Folcwar's pissed off too, is he not a person?

Darev isn't happy with this system, is he not a person either?

There's three out of the population who sub and play PTS. I'm certain there's more.

the problem with a power jump with amplifiers as they are now is that is like going from 248 to 258 gear on current live...so if I pvp I would be stupid not to "amp up" to the max. But once I am amped up to the max I am guessing whatever semblance of balance that will be configured inside the operations and other pve content will go out the window.

the problem with a power jump with amplifiers as they are now is that is like going from 248 to 258 gear on current live...so if I pvp I would be stupid not to "amp up" to the max. But once I am amped up to the max I am guessing whatever semblance of balance that will be configured inside the operations and other pve content will go out the window.

I still think we need to see it in affect before we can make judgements.

If someone has 1 billion credits, its because they play this game a lot. You cant buy credits from a website unless its "illegal". So explain from your perspective, how is it pay to win?

Do you really play SWTOR?

Step 1 - buy cartel coins

Step 2 - buy packs with coins (or anything else that sells well)

Step 3 - sell the stuff you bought

Step 4 - use the gains to roll for your amps

There you go. Fixed it for you mate. P2W explained. Glad to be of service :p

Please note I'm not saying anything about my opinion on this matter. Just stating the fact of how you can turn cash into credits and use that same money to buy power (in other words, to win).

Kinda surprised at people in this discussion thread actually complaining about getting MORE DPS from the new amplifier system. I thought people were excited about going back to HYBRID specs. This allows us to be unique from every other Jugg or Sniper or whatever. This sorta makes up for them taking away 1 of our 3 set bonus so I'm all for it.

I do agree it needs some tweaking in how it works and is implemented: (1) Add a warning message to the actual Recalibrate button that once clicked, money is taken, (2) Instead of only giving us 2 new choices perhaps 4 or 5, (3) Remove the cost of pulling mods from our gear since this new feature will already be a credit sink, (4) After hitting Recalibrate, don't give us the same amplifier or lesser % one then the one we're rerolling on. Just to name a few.

I think this game needs a shake up. This will definitely do that. It's been kinda stale for a long time so I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait to see Jambalayabungee finished worksheet with all the Amplifiers and their percentages, description of what they do, and which ones are considered 'rare'. :D Awesome job!

these are actually great solutions

Edited by commanderwar

Holy ****.

This system is insane.

So, I figured I'd do a quick write-up here to help PTS peoples test this system out.

Testing Amplifiers

So to access Amps, buy a new piece of gear (since Amps aren't functional on gear bought prior to this week's patch), then you should see them when you go to modify the gear. You will see Amps located under each modification. So the Shell, Armouring, Mod and Enhancement all have an Amp.

EDIT: Amps are also located implants, earpiece and relics. However, you can only see them via the augment table.

Note, the tooltips can be buggy. If you notice an Amp not showing the correct tooltip, close the Field Modification and Recalibrate windows and open them again and it should show the correct tooltips. So every time you recalibrate an Amp, you have to exit out of the Recalibrate window and go back in for it to load the correct tooltips.

Changing Amps + Costs

You can change the Amp by recalibrating it. All you have to do is click on the Amp to open the Recalibrate window. Then click on the Recalibrate button and you typically get a choice between two new Amps (sometimes it's mean and only gives you one). To change the Amp to a new one just click update next to the new AMp you like and it will change the Amp on your Mod to the new one!

You can recalibrate an Amp as many times as you like, but the cost goes up each time you do.

Recalibration Starting Cost = 20,000 Credits

The cost to recalibrate a mod goes up incrementally by roughly 1000 credits to start with then gradually goes up when you hit 100,000 Credits the increment is around 5000 credits. When you get up to 200,000 Credits the increment is around 8,000 Credits.

Things to know

- Different types of Amps will only show up on certain modifications. For example, the Life Stealing Amp is only on Enhancements.

- The Amp is attached to the Modification. So if you get a really good Amp on an enhancement, for example, you can just move it around to any shell you like since mods are BoL.

- The percentage that shows up next to the Amp is entirely random (RNG within RNG, yay! :p). The highest I've seen so far is 5% and the lowest I've seen is 0.10%.

At this stage I haven't really done any testing to see if they work or anything, I've just been trying to figure the different types since there are soooooo many!

(PLEASE DEVS YOU SEE THIS SEND ME A LIST OF ALL THE AMPS PLEASE AND THANK YOU)

Edit: Here's a pic of the UI for reference https://twitter.com/Rach_Games/status/1162534985837887491?s=20

Once I have a good list of the variety of Amps, I'll do a proper write-up on my website. :)

:jawa_angel:

Hot to sum up the amplifiers in 20 words or less cause Saitama sensei is to busy: Bioware can't deliver enough content to keep players sub so they increase the grind to preposterous levels.

Here is to new quality content....

Not sure why even bother at thsi time. This is money spent on development that could have been used on different assets. The same with the new background music and the droid working in the background. Wasted assets that could have been used somewhere else. ( years into the game and they only changed that aspect now .... well if the game would be here for another 8 i think we would see our original companions inside our personal ship

stacking 5% life steal on every enhancement or even the 1% of total health regen on every enhancement (like 9x total enhancements) is just stupid. as in broken. bioware please delete those two amplifiers or cap them at 5%/1% if you know what's best for wz sanity.

stacking 5% life steal on every enhancement or even the 1% of total health regen on every enhancement (like 9x total enhancements) is just stupid. as in broken. bioware please delete those two amplifiers or cap them at 5%/1% if you know what's best for wz sanity.

That or perhaps Amplifiers simply won't do anything (except maybe one that amps Valor points earned) in PvP or Master Modes (like increased looting).

Do you really play SWTOR?

Step 1 - buy cartel coins

Step 2 - buy packs with coins (or anything else that sells well)

Step 3 - sell the stuff you bought

Step 4 - use the gains to roll for your amps

There you go. Fixed it for you mate. P2W explained. Glad to be of service :p

Please note I'm not saying anything about my opinion on this matter. Just stating the fact of how you can turn cash into credits and use that same money to buy power (in other words, to win).

That isn't pay to win.

P2W= Pay BW $ (No CC's allowed) BW sends you BiS gear. That is the only way to get said gear.

If you can get gear in game without paying directly it's not P2W.

That isn't pay to win.

P2W= Pay BW $ (No CC's allowed) BW sends you BiS gear. That is the only way to get said gear.

If you can get gear in game without paying directly it's not P2W.

CC cartel coin=for all intensive purposes $$ in game. it's semantics that it requires a few in between steps to go from buying cartel coins to getting in game credits to buy amps or bis augments or whatever.

CC cartel coin=for all intensive purposes $$ in game. it's semantics that it requires a few in between steps to go from buying cartel coins to getting in game credits to buy amps or bis augments or whatever.

Your forgetting that we can buy the same items without paying 1 cent. The fact I can get gear without spending any real life money is what makes it not pay to win. For Pay to win, you wouldn't be able to use credits or get the gear in game at all. The only way to get it would be direct purchase. The fact your using credits completely nullifies the P2W idea since credits can and are gotten in game for free.

I know I made millions of credits selling stuff on the GTN, and never needed to spend real life money to make those credits.

Edited by Toraak

• 2 months later...
My main confusion right now is that amplifiers are for different situations. Some help crafting, some flashpoints, some PvP... Am I supposed to keep my inventory filled with gear with different amplifiers and change gesr whenever i switch from PvE to crafting to PvP? If so I desperately want something like the outfit designer where I can change from one set to the other at a click, and without keeping my inventory full of otherwise identical gear.

My main confusion right now is that amplifiers are for different situations. Some help crafting, some flashpoints, some PvP... Am I supposed to keep my inventory filled with gear with different amplifiers and change gesr whenever i switch from PvE to crafting to PvP? If so I desperately want something like the outfit designer where I can change from one set to the other at a click, and without keeping my inventory full of otherwise identical gear.

Most amps are such small percentage increases that they really don't matter...ie vanity credit sinks.

The ones you worry about are on the armoring and weapon hilts / barrels - those with the right amp give extra damage or healing based on the type of damage or healing you do to your class.

The other ones on the mods and armor shells ... well just set the armor shells to give you something skillwise usefull to whatever crew skills you do. On the mods I think reducing repair costs make most sense long term to save some credits.

• 1 month later...
Devs, Would like to make a suggestion in the interest of RNG control, and the fact that i do not like credit sinks in game play. The RNG for Armors/Barrels/Hilts should be based on your Loot Discipline. Example, Tanks will only have available Defensive Amplifiers like Fortuitous Redoubt, Reinforced Armor, etc.. Healers like Bodyguard Mercenaries have a chance to get "Medtech" and all of the other healing amps except "Force Harmonization", likewise, Jedi Sentinels can only roll for DPS amps except Tech Wizardry. Change loot discipline, and you change the available amps you can roll on.

Some of the questions as I see on amps that might come up is about drops and the amps on it from what ever source crates daily weekly etc... Looking at the amps That we receive also apply to alts in our legacy. Say we level a character in our legacy that uses alpha strike and aural command at .20% and use it on another character as well. Does the exp we get from quests taking out mobs while using these amps adds to the next drop in % percentage to go up say .25% or more, do to the use of that amp till we get a crate or a drop. Also this may only drop from an alt in legacy but not the character that has been using those amps and basically leveling the amps it self?

The next part is also for our classes as we see npc mobs out there that have the same skills or profession as our character. By taking them out does it give any sort of xp or % to our skill or even amps. So basically level our gear/amps, skills. Which may also be called power leveling gear. Some mmo's you have to take out certain mobs to level your weapon or armor to get better stats or unlock the special ability. Is this the case here with amps? I have seen on drop that most of the time it goes great for an alt, never for the toon or rarely for the toon I'm xping/questing with. Seams that way to get ppls to spend credits on rerolls for the amps. Is it like the slot machine for drops and amps 60 to 2 chance to get your amps you want? I have received some random amps. So when we use the particular amps the random stops? does it key more on the leveling of the amps or is it straight up slot machine mechanics?

Can we get an answer from our DEV's? Is this where your going to lead into leveling gear/amps? Say a stepping stone? Going on quest to level gear/amps/weapons/armor. Maybe our content creators input?

• 4 months later...

They should reduce the costs of rerolling as a start and I don't think it's that hard to do...

As it stands now.. this system melts credits like crazy. For casuals players this must be terrible . I don't mind the RNG, but please adjust the costs so that is' actually LIVEABLE and affordable for a larger pool of players.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

They should reduce the costs of rerolling as a start and I don't think it's that hard to do...

As it stands now.. this system melts credits like crazy. For casuals players this must be terrible . I don't mind the RNG, but please adjust the costs so that is' actually LIVEABLE and affordable for a larger pool of players.

The only way it really melts credits is if you don't put a cap on how much your going to spend on 1 armoring or mod. For example: Once the cost of a reroll gets to 40k for the next reroll I just Deconstruct that Armoring and go for the next armoring I have that has 471 Mastery on it. I never go past that amount. Making enough credits in this game is easy if your not spending them on items that aren't needed, so you should easily have plenty to do this for amplifiers. I know I make more credits in this expansion then in any other.