Shutting Catboy down

Harukaze

Okay, so, I play a female Trooper. Currently Major, level 40. My affection with Jorgan is nearly maxed out - mostly because it's not hard finding weapon gifts. Before today, I had stopped advancing his story back around when I hit Captain, because I'm not interested in a romance with him. He's a subordinate officer and that just doesn't appeal to me, period. When I roll a male Vanguard eventually, he won't be dating Dorne, either.

I realized that I could accept his gift, without beating the poor guy into the ground, but more importantly *without flirting*. I have never once flirted with Jorgan. I *thought* that by skipping all the options, I could bypass the romance thread and just stick to the Deadeyes story like the guys would get.

Turns out, I'm wrong. Several missions later, there appears to be no way to avoid getting kissed... and as far as I've seen, no way to discourage him in the slightest. Why? When I've not flirted once, these shouldn't be my options.

I would like to finish out the Deadeye storyline, and want to have a "completed" Jorgan come legacy in 1.2. Is there any way to stop this romance from happening and still complete the story? Or am I stuck railroaded into an undesirable relationship?

I don't think at this point you can. If you don't want to do the romance, you'll have to stop talking to him.

Although I have to boggle that you took the necklace he had made especially for the Trooper and figured it wasn't going to further the romance. I mean, sure it wasn't marked as a [flirt], but it's the intimate kind of gift that clearly signals he's romantically interested, so I'm not shocked at all that the romance was triggered by it.

Okay, so, I play a female Trooper. Currently Major, level 40. My affection with Jorgan is nearly maxed out - mostly because it's not hard finding weapon gifts. Before today, I had stopped advancing his story back around when I hit Captain, because I'm not interested in a romance with him. He's a subordinate officer and that just doesn't appeal to me, period. When I roll a male Vanguard eventually, he won't be dating Dorne, either.

I realized that I could accept his gift, without beating the poor guy into the ground, but more importantly *without flirting*. I have never once flirted with Jorgan. I *thought* that by skipping all the options, I could bypass the romance thread and just stick to the Deadeyes story like the guys would get.

Turns out, I'm wrong. Several missions later, there appears to be no way to avoid getting kissed... and as far as I've seen, no way to discourage him in the slightest. Why? When I've not flirted once, these shouldn't be my options.

I would like to finish out the Deadeye storyline, and want to have a "completed" Jorgan come legacy in 1.2. Is there any way to stop this romance from happening and still complete the story? Or am I stuck railroaded into an undesirable relationship?

For my Commando, I walked a vary careful path of always selecting the supportive but professional answer for Elara. She is now at max affection, and I don't recall getting into a situation where I had to do a flat, cold turn down of any romantic suggestions with her.

On my Shadow, with Nadia. one of the conversations seemed to be leading down a "romance" path, but the question she asked was not particularly overt. The answer I chose was something to the effect of "That is not appropriate" for a master and student. It seemed to be a bit too soon considering she had not really said anything that suggestive yet, but it was the honorable answer without being cold and rejecting her as undesirable in another circumstance. However, it did seem to shut down any additional romance related dialogs from then on.

But I agree with you in general. There seems to be a point where you get locked into a direction you don't want to go and there is nothing you can do about it. This is even true of some of the non-companion dialogs. I am happily married, and I am not interested in pursuing any pretend romances in any game. I am especially not interested in any one-night stands, cyber or otherwise. Yet with Jaxo, in the quest you get to meet her at her apartment, I got put in just such a situation. And when the dialog just started suggesting a romance, I was given a choice that would obviously pursue the suggestion and another that would turn her down rather coldly. I neither wanted to pursue a romance nor did I want to be mean about rejecting her, so I chose what I hoped would be a more neutral option that would either suggest I was not taking the "hint," or would open a less cold rejection. But, no. When I took the more neutral option, I ended up getting a 50s style fade-to-black and a one-night stand I did not want. The same thing happened with the girl on the Hutt barge in the Smuggler's story: obvious pursuit of the relationship, cold rejection, or a more neutral option that ends up in a one-night stand anyway.

It seems like they are assuming everyone wants to pursue a romance or one night stand and that, if you don't, you would naturally just be cruel and cold in turning it down. That is not good for role playing.

I fully concur. In order to reject the necklace, I would have had to be a real ***** to Jorgan, and that's now how I saw their relationship. They grew close, to be sure, but it felt to *me* that Jorgan was becoming big brother to my Trooper - yes, he was the big brother in my mind despite my Trooper being in command; he'd been around in the military a lot longer and thus had some wisdom to share. It seemed completely reasonable to me that I could turn aside his advances without spitting on him. That's just not the case, and it makes me sad. Bioware should have much better storytelling than this. They're known for it, so why did they simply not think some of these things through?

I think most people could tell stories of a time they fell for somebody who did not return their feelings. And most of those people were probably gentle out it, I'd hope. Apparently Bioware can't imagine such a middle ground. *shakes his head* Ah well. Maybe I'll be lucky and the scene *following* the unwanted kiss will let me break it off. It'll suck, but it's better than letting the relationship stand.

EDIT: Nope. No, it escalates, without any choice in the matter. What in the damned hell, Bioware?

Edited by Harukaze

For my Commando, I walked a vary careful path of always selecting the supportive but professional answer for Elara. She is now at max affection, and I don't recall getting into a situation where I had to do a flat, cold turn down of any romantic suggestions with her.

On my Shadow, with Nadia. one of the conversations seemed to be leading down a "romance" path, but the question she asked was not particularly overt. The answer I chose was something to the effect of "That is not appropriate" for a master and student. It seemed to be a bit too soon considering she had not really said anything that suggestive yet, but it was the honorable answer without being cold and rejecting her as undesirable in another circumstance. However, it did seem to shut down any additional romance related dialogs from then on.

But I agree with you in general. There seems to be a point where you get locked into a direction you don't want to go and there is nothing you can do about it. This is even true of some of the non-companion dialogs. I am happily married, and I am not interested in pursuing any pretend romances in any game. I am especially not interested in any one-night stands, cyber or otherwise. Yet with Jaxo, in the quest you get to meet her at her apartment, I got put in just such a situation. And when the dialog just started suggesting a romance, I was given a choice that would obviously pursue the suggestion and another that would turn her down rather coldly. I neither wanted to pursue a romance nor did I want to be mean about rejecting her, so I chose what I hoped would be a more neutral option that would either suggest I was not taking the "hint," or would open a less cold rejection. But, no. When I took the more neutral option, I ended up getting a 50s style fade-to-black and a one-night stand I did not want. The same thing happened with the girl on the Hutt barge in the Smuggler's story: obvious pursuit of the relationship, cold rejection, or a more neutral option that ends up in a one-night stand anyway.

It seems like they are assuming everyone wants to pursue a romance or one night stand and that, if you don't, you would naturally just be cruel and cold in turning it down. That is not good for role playing.

you know what is maddening is the way you're railroaded by BW into these situations even against yor chosen responses (or not given the option) while they completely exclude female to female romance. It reeks of a developer dictating what can or cannot constitute a proper romance. If they can force an unwanted romance on us because they assume that's what we want, then they should be able to easily allow a female/female or heck, even male/male relationship.

My female toons are sick of getting hit on by the guys on my ship. Even on my bounty hunter, i get these creepy come-ons from out of nowhere from guys who have like 10 affection when my female companion is maxed out affection (with not even a flirt option).

Check out this completely unwanted dialogue:

Torian: You know... I've been watching you in action for a while now. And what a nice sight it is.

what... the... f....

And yet, you don't get to kill him for it. No matter how evil you are, or cold-blooded or ruthless, you don't get to kill him. {Worse, you don't get to kill Gault, which bothers me.}

They claim there will be a "story" expansion or patch or whatever, later this year. I have no idea what they mean by that, other than that it adds same-sex relationships. It really makes me wonder if they're adding voice acting for choices they've thus far denied us... but if so, it means a whole hell of a lot of us got railroaded with our characters, while newer ones get to have the story they wanted. I *hope* that won't be the case.

I'm playing a male trooper so I have not had to deal with this exact problem, but I'm thinking that in real life this works so try it in game. Get a water spray bottle and every time he does something you don't like spray him in the face with water. It works on RL cats so I'm thinking it should work on him too.

My female toons are sick of getting hit on by the guys on my ship. Even on my bounty hunter, i get these creepy come-ons from out of nowhere from guys who have like 10 affection when my female companion is maxed out affection (with not even a flirt option).

Torian: You know... I've been watching you in action for a while now. And what a nice sight it is.

what... the... f....

Yet somehow I suspect your male characters hit almost every [Flirt] option you see in game with random girls you just met. :rolleyes:

I'm playing a male trooper so I have not had to deal with this exact problem, but I'm thinking that in real life this works so try it in game. Get a water spray bottle and every time he does something you don't like spray him in the face with water. It works on RL cats so I'm thinking it should work on him too.

Lol, I like this... only problem is that my cat is stupid so I end up doing the face-spraying 3 or 4 times a week :(

But as with a lot of RL relationships, if you do not nip it in the bud early (I think the cold-hearted ***** dialog on the necklace is probably the last "no thanks, affection but no romance" option you get), then later down the line you end up hurting the other person more than if you had said something earlier.

you know what is maddening is the way you're railroaded by BW into these situations even against yor chosen responses (or not given the option) while they completely exclude female to female romance. It reeks of a developer dictating what can or cannot constitute a proper romance. If they can force an unwanted romance on us because they assume that's what we want, then they should be able to easily allow a female/female or heck, even male/male relationship.

what... the... f....

Whether or not they open same sex relationships is a completely different issue and does not remotely address the problem you describe. Why does it matter why you don't want to pursue a romance with someone? Likewise, how exactly does opening up additional avenues of unwanted advances (that might get me stuck in a romance I don't want) solve the problem that I don't want to be involved in any pretend romances, let alone one-night stands, but cannot always avoid them? Just because I don't want my male character to get involved in a fake relationship with a female character does not mean that I want to now have to avoid getting involved in a fake relationship with another male.

In other words, the problem is that the dialog options don't give you the choice to shut down a dialog path without being a complete jerk about it, not that there are not enough people to be jerks to.

There does need to at least be a way to break up with someone once you've started down their path. Ideally, it would be a conversation YOU could start at ANY TIME. I really dislike how you can get locked into a relationship forever and ever, and too bad for you if you changed your mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to necro my own thread, but I thought I'd give it an update. It turns out, Catboy is worse than I thought at taking no for an answer.

I got my Trooper to 45, so I could survive the final mission in the Deadeyes storyarc. Very good story, that was, by the way, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I get back to my ship, and there's three more missions left for me with Jorgan. All three of them are relationship related. The first one, I tell him I had fun but I'm not as interested in him as he is in me. Loss of 160 affection. Does that end it? No! Second one, he PROPOSES. I turn him down, another loss of 160 affection. Still not the end? You betcha! He immediately proceeds to wonder about having kids - I think he said adopting them, but honestly I stopped paying attention to him by then. Thankfully, saying I didn't want kids didn't lose me any more affection.

Seriously, Bioware. Some of us don't want romances with our subordinate officers. Ever. Don't railroad us like this again, thanks.

• Dev Post

First, allow me to apologize that you encountered this situation. It certainly was not our intention to railroad anyone into any companion romance plotline. Player choice is a core part of the game experience, and anything taking that away is very concerning!

It is not intended for Players to enter a romance with Jorgan without specifically choosing to flirt with him, by picking Player options marked with [Flirt] when he first shows a romantic interest. If you never chose such options, and have not already filed a bug on this issue, please do, so that we can investigate further.

I realize this was a necro and thus all the posts on the first page of the thread are old, but none of the recent posters read that page. Seriously, it's only one page.

I made it very clear: I never, ever flirted with Catboy. I accepted his gift sans flirting, because I thought that the third option was being far too mean. This is, to my knowledge, the only romance that has one starting point and one only: that goddamn necklace. Only by being a complete ***** can you avoid the romance. Once you're forced into a romance you don't want, there are very, very few places where you can say you don't want to continue, and HE DOES NOT LISTEN. I currently have characters of seven classes, everything but Bounty Hunter, and in none of those classes is the romance such a railroad.

This is extremely disappointing to say the very least.

First, allow me to apologize that you encountered this situation. It certainly was not our intention to railroad anyone into any companion romance plotline. Player choice is a core part of the game experience, and anything taking that away is very concerning!

It is not intended for Players to enter a romance with Jorgan without specifically choosing to flirt with him, by picking Player options marked with [Flirt] when he first shows a romantic interest. If you never chose such options, and have not already filed a bug on this issue, please do, so that we can investigate further.

I apologize profusely, I appear to have had a blind day when you posted. How I missed bright yellow text, I don't know. Either way thank you for responding and letting me know that that was not intentional. Knowing this, I feel much better. I am submitting a bug report now.

Okay, so... unfortunately the CSR side of customer service disagrees with the CM side. I submitted a bug report as I was instructed here, and was told by the CSR that Jorgan is working as intended and that, in short, there's no stopping Jorgan once he falls in love. I was told to post in the Suggestion Box forum instead... which I guess I'll do next : \

• Dev Post
I submitted a bug report as I was instructed here, and was told by the CSR that Jorgan is working as intended and that, in short, there's no stopping Jorgan once he falls in love.

It sounds like there are two separate issues at work here. Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting!

1) Your character entered the romance "path" with Jorgan, but you didn't intend for that to happen. This should not have been possible without picking Player options marked with [Flirt], specifically:

In a conversation that becomes available after the first companion mission with Jorgan (where you go to Nar Shaddaa looking for the Deadeyes) he will mention some weapons malfunctions and ask to inspect all of the team's weaponry, including the Player's. The [Flirt] options here are the ones that initiate the romance; not the necklace conversation later.

If you did not pick any of those options, and still ended up in a romance with Jorgan, then it's a bug.

2) Once your character was on the romance path, it was not possible to "break up" with Jorgan. I believe this is currently working as intended. That said, we've definitely seen all the feedback on the matter and are discussing possible changes to the system for the future, but I don't think we're ready to talk about any of those potential changes in detail as yet. As mentioned, please don't hesitate to post your own feelings on the matter in the suggestion box to add to the feedback! :)

If #1 occurred, please resubmit the issue and only mention that aspect of it, in order to clarify what needs to be investigated. And, again, I'm very sorry for all the trouble this has caused for you.

I sympathise with the OPs view. I'd like to see options within the Companion UI that allow you to select if that Companion should be 'romanceable'.

That way players would not be 'forced' to, even avoid, romance type options within dialogue or actions taken.

i.e. If the Romance 'tag' is set to NO then romance/flirt options should not even occur within dialogues.

..and for this particular Companion - I'd like to see an additional Quest option that sends him to a Veteranarian for the required procedures ! :)

This is an AMERICAN video game! We should be able to be as entitled AND fickle about our romantic entanglements as possible. If aliens think that one romantic night means a relationship forever then that is their problem! :mad:

P.S. I would like a romance option with Bowdar pretty plz.

Edited by Drewhat

2) Once your character was on the romance path, it was not possible to "break up" with Jorgan. I believe this is currently working as intended.

This is the problem, and I wish I'd known when I started my characters that [Flirt] in SWTOR means [Eventually Marry].