How much onlie players does SWTOR actually have?

Videle

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is.

Simply because, unless you work at a game company, you have no idea what all it takes to do a server transfer.

So what you are telling us is that there is some different mechanic to making North American transfers work as opposed to Pacific transfers? Funny.... seems like its all the same data to me.

Words can not describe how dumb your statement is. If it works for the Aussies and Asians it works for the Americans. There is no added technical proficiency between them.

Always wanted to know that.

I don't know how many subscribers they have left...

...but what I do know is that it will be less than "that" if they don't get to server merges.

I find it hard to see how server transfers will fix the problem.

It's almost as if they are not expecting new players.

All I keep hearing about now is "1.3" will make everything better!

Gee, that sounds vaguely...familiar....1...uh...um..2...

Anyways!

No Jedi Jesus patch will make everything better. So before you ask Jedi Jesus for patch 1.4's blessings...

Jedi Jesus can only do so much.

Edited by Tiaa

...but what I do know is that it will be less than "that" if they don't get to server merges.

I find it hard to see how server transfers will fix the problem.

I don't understand your point.

Server merges: BW decide to close some servers and people are moved to another => we got less servers consolidated with more players.

Server transfers: BW decide to which server you can get free transfer to and you can choose to get a paid transfer to a specific transfer => we still got the same amount of servers but thoses that BW choosed as destination will get high population.

The only difference in the end is they won't close the empty servers.

I don't understand your point.

The only difference in the end is they won't close the empty servers.

How you managed to miss my point...

...yet express my point in your last sentence...

It's starting to really make me think that some of you

are just making contrast arguments just to add your input.

I think you can figure the rest out for yourself.

I'm telling you...some company should just make a game called "legendary" and just have an epic all open world endgame world raiding. where you have nothing but a world of raids on every zone. no no....20 raids in every zone and an "epic" button where you can get everything and constantly give out new weapons for raiding EVERY week. ya know... i don't think that would even please some of the people...lol

There was a company that made such a legendary game but it was single player.

According to the developers everything in it was great, legendary and epic.

They even said that when you press a button, something AWESOME happens!!

That's why I think they will merge the servers AFTER the transfers. Everyone will get to where they want to go, mostly out of the dead servers, THEN they will see what the dead servers are and merge them :)

It certainly will happen, but it won't be phrased as "server merges due to low populations" for the press, instead it will be a "restructuring of server architectures to increase capacity on servers that are filling up" or something similar. By having targetted transfers first they will no longer be merging low population servers but moving players to high population servers to enhance their gaming experience.

So what you are telling us is that there is some different mechanic to making North American transfers work as opposed to Pacific transfers? Funny.... seems like its all the same data to me.

Words can not describe how dumb your statement is. If it works for the Aussies and Asians it works for the Americans. There is no added technical proficiency between them.

Nowhere did I say that.

What I said was, unless you work for a game company that has had server merges, then you don't know all that goes on with one.

I don't work at a game company, so I'm not going to pretend I know what all goes on. Care to cite the game company you work for that you absolutely know all about server transfers?

Or are you....you know...making things up to try and support some argument?

Edited by Skoobie

My understanding is they did the Aussie transfers manually because there wasn't that many people, and that they wanted to develop an automated system for the rest of the playerbase for now and for the future.

That said, this is their fault. Server xfers are just another example of something this game should have had in at launch but didn't for whatever reason.

Oh, that one is easy

Lack of patience, unrealistic expectations, and short attention spans.

Careful, they'll call you a fanboi. Watch out! OH NOES!!

Love the fanboi replies. Roughly translated, they mean "I have nothing to say that anyone would believe, so I'll just call you a name and shout "I WIN" as loud as I can."

Hilarious.

If you have to even ask that question then you really need to jump down from your fanboi perch.

Its just inactive accounts riding out free months from 1.2 thats all them numbers were.

Lets take my server which was in the top 3 pop. We used to have 250 in the fleet and multiple instances of it when 1.2 hit (biowares numbers)

Now we only just break 100 in prime time.

They can fiddle their numbers to look good, but they cant fiddle their ingame population the same way.

What an artful dodge of his question (which gives all of us the answer to his question as well, funny enough). I know it's hard to believe, but Bioware knows more than you about their own numbers.

Always wanted to know that.

TL;DR answer is that I think that there are about 83,000 people logged in. That is a 24 hour average over every hour in the last two weeks, so that's slack time plus prime time, world wide, all servers, all regions.

If you want a more detailed analysis, or if you want to see how I got to that number, then that's here:

Population Estimates for the Top 20 US Servers (I know it says US, but I did the stats worldwide too...)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=449144

Paige

Edited by Scorpienne

my guess, next time it will be at 650.000 subs, after free month and initial 6 months subscribers.

And you will still be here

As you will in two years.

Thanks for helping to fund my future content

Edited by Jett-Rinn

I can understand that they are working on automating server transfers and that they did the APAC tranfers manually, and that originaly doing the north american tranfers manualy would take forever and be a huge mess, but if they wait much longer they will easily be able to do them manualy.

TL;DR answer is that I think that there are about 83,000 people logged in.

What do you think the peak ratio is? (i.e. players logged in during the peak hour divided by average player per hour)

There are currently 1.3 million active subscribers to SWToR according to Electronic Arts Financial Report of May 2012.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1879050304x0x566945/3aaa2f1a-342b-4cbc-b067-c974f720ecc1/EA_News_2012_5_7_General.pdf

Quite a decent number I think. I expected much worse drop from the experience of other MMO games. SWToR is doing rather well.

1.3 million subs in no way indicates that there are 1.3 million people playing the game.

I'm not sure the exact number of servers there are and am not going to count them. It's somewhere between 2 and 3 hundred though.

If it's 300 that would mean that there are 4333 odd players on each server average.

Does anyone really think there are those kinds of numbers playing this game now?

People that do nothing but irrationally complain about the game are wrong, especially when they simply say "this game sucks" instead of explaining specifically what is wrong with it. On the other hand fanboys that claim absolutely nothing is wrong with the game are just as wrong.

Putting the name calling aside for a minute, could you cite a single posting where someone has said there is "absolutely nothing wrong"?

Putting the name calling aside for a minute, could you cite a single posting where someone has said there is "absolutely nothing wrong"?

Shhhhhh the irrational hate and astroturfing for GW2 doesn't work when you use logic.

:rolleyes:

The coming transfers will make a huge difference if done right, however, it's only a solution to one problem, there are many many more to deal with and they need to be done much quicker than the current pace BW/EA are showing, if 1.4 takes as long as 1.3 and then 1.5 too expect to be doing another sizeable transfer program again before Q4.

SWTOR is the light beer of MMO's, twice as expensive, half the fun

There is nowhere near 2 mil people playing.

I bet there is under 1 mil, and much under 1 mil for actual people logging in daily. I bet there is under 200,000 people playing in north america. I think their numbers are lies.

Look at how many awards they say the game won when they advertise. 90. Best game of 2010. If thsi isn't a lie I dont know what is. LOL. yeah, it might have been good in 2010. Total BS.

And your estimation is based on what, the fact you don't like the game or simply a number you pulled out of thin air.....

The number quoted most recently is based on a stockholder's report. I would tend to figure that is pretty accurate, considering faking those numbers would get a lot of people in a lot of legal trouble.