Anyone else finding the consular story...very dry?

spacepuppy

I really enjoyed the Consular story. It picks up towards the end of act 1, and I found myself pleasantly surprised a few times that the rest of the supporting characters weren't carrying the idiot ball towards the ends of the mystery-solving bits, like I figured they would be.

I did really dislike that there wasn't a good snarky dialogue line for the voiceover, and you basically had to choose between stoic hero and haughty jerk, but what can you do. The class arc was definitely the best part of Corellia, which was totally forgettable to me after the first moment of being wowed on the way out of the space port.

Edited by Zatoni

Yes, I've admitted it before and will do so again. Perhaps if I were a bigger Star Wars fan I would have enjoyed the consular story. But as a person just wandering in to the genre after seeing the movies when I was a kid and then the prequels once when I was a young adult - the consular story was dreadfully dull to me.

I quit the character after level 30. After killing all the jedi I was supposed to be healing and getting nothing but a sigh from the council for it, I realized that there was nothing I could do to shake the story up to make it more interesting for myself.

I suppose it didn't help that I was duoing with someone playing a knight and he wasn't enjoying his story either (in the sense that he was feeling like Kira's companion and that the story started revolving around her, an npc, rather than the pc himself.)

As opposed to others though, I actually liked Theran Cedrax, regardless of how many times I stumbled over pronouncing his name x) He and his companion were refreshingly contradictory to the bulk of the consular experience.

I'm glad to know that others have had a similar experience with the story, and I'm glad a lot of people enjoyed it. It just wasn't my thing, no big. The only thing worrisome though, in my opinion, is that so far I haven't really enjoyed.. any of the Republic stories. But I'll stop right there, as this is a thread about the consular specifically.

Edited by grania

• 2 months later...
So i'm just starting out with consular and somehow my Jedi master has dissapeared. I'm only level five. The other thing that's happening is that anytime I go into the temple, the game glitches and I can hardly move around the place...any suggestions?

I've played with my consular up to level 28 so far and I feel satisfied with the story, save for Tatooine which was a bit uninspired story. I do agree with a poster above me, your companions don't appear to have any respectable reason as to why they keep following you to an almost certain death.

Certainly not better than the Smuggler story, though.

Edited by Morlaak

the consular story IS pretty good. its just not to the taste of alot of people.

the consulars story isn't being the hero that rushes in and beats up the badguy and saves the day. its about building alliances, finding cures. dealing with politics and diplomacy. all of which are done fairly well. its just theres not as many big action set pieces as other classes so people think its boring cus they were apparently raised on michael bay movies.

i have no problem with the consulars story, i actually like it alot. i just find the male voice actor to be extremely bland and the companions to be pretty boring as well. i only really liked theran and nadia the rest were pretty boring.

So i'm just starting out with consular and somehow my Jedi master has dissapeared. I'm only level five. The other thing that's happening is that anytime I go into the temple, the game glitches and I can hardly move around the place...any suggestions?

Well she is an archaeologist, she tends to move around :D

As for the temple glitch you're better off writing about it in the Customer Service forum.

I wish there was a bit more actual diplomacy and less 'I just killed this idiot and stopped his stupid plans, now play nice people'-diplomacy, but other than that it's ok.

I kind of love how it's possible to play up the irritatingly serene Jedi Master stereotype before you even become a Master, considering the Consular is told from beginning that he/she is so great in the Force and then can become a perfect little Padawan who graduates to becoming a perfect little Jedi who is raised to being a perfect little Master. Except for the incident with those Force sensitive Dark Side Rakghouls - I can never resist exterminating them all (especially as a Shadow). They're just too far for even that perfect little Jedi. Stop abusing me game.

Edited by Rhadamanthine

YES! I played the consular story all the way through and as i was playing through it i always persuaded myself that it would get better but it just dosent. After having experienced the other class storys i can say without a doubt that the cosnular story is the worst class story available! Especially act 2 which i thought was a complete joke

Personally, I really enjoyed it. I'll admit it might be a little too cerebral, but I'm a raging nerd for mind puzzles so I had fun with it. And there were some interesting surprises I wasn't expecting, where you really have to consider what the possible outcomes might be. For example, on Balmorra,

it's possible to both talk your way out of a sub-boss fight and score a bunch of affection points with Tharan at the same time. But you have to listen carefully to what Lerek Serrus is saying.

I actually like the consular story. On Nar Shaada I thought there were funny parts

Like wen you pretend to be a sith, or when to distract a guard, I argued that I was arrested without due process and that I need a lawyer, to which the guard says, "This is the Empire, you don't deserve a lawyer"

Oh good heavens this. Nar Shaddaa was one of the best parts of the class story. I was particularly amused when

you have to pretend to be a hacker to infiltrate the Lancers. "Oh, any channel will do."

It's highly YMMV; it really depends on what you want out of a story. You stand a better chance of liking this one the nerdier you are.

Truthfully, for me, the first Chapter I liked, but after that....and even on the first Chapter - it was hard to keep my actions light sided. After that, it just didn't flow the way the rest of my characters have. I got her to 50, but it was difficult, at least to me. And I didn't even realize how much of one until at Belsalvis level, I took a break from her to roll a trooper and level her up to 50. I don't have any other republic 50's yet out of all four classes, simply because I'm enjoying my IA so much more.

Well it wasn't so bad I think. It's quite accurate because as consular you shouldn't expect same kind action as Knight. However if you think they should have made more special candy just for game. Perhaps. Personally I wished more political play. Would have been cool go around different planets to ensure their loyalty and make sure they understand how much better republic is compared to empire.

Chapter 1 sucks. Most Chapter 1s aren't all that, since they're just meant to establish your character as important before the real fun begins.

That said, Chapter 2 and 3 aren't brilliant. Mildly satisfying with some moments of note. It's pretty understated until you hit Corellia with a very Day in the Life feel. It has terrible moments,

The Hunt for the Esh'Ka on Belsavis qualifies, but the Belsavis villain was good enough that Belsavis wasn't all bad.

and it has good ones,

All of your built up forces coming together on Corellia felt suitably awesome.

but all in all it's never great.

A lot of missed potential for the JC in my opinion.

This is a problem that I have with the Consular story as well as the Bounty Hunter story (and maybe other classes I haven't played yet) -- the story plays out more like a list of repeated tasks you have to perform instead of a flowing story-line. For the Consular you have to "heal" a Jedi Master on each planet you visit. For the Bounty Hunter, you have to kill a target on each planet you visit (makes sense for that class, but still). Even though the details are different each time, it feels like I'm essentially doing the same thing over and over again on each planet.

It's only like this for the first chapter of the Consular story, however. It does get better with chapter 2.

By contrast, when I played the Imp Agent story-line, I never knew what I was going to get involved with each time I visited a new planet. It never felt like just another variation on something I did previously. There was always a new twist or turn in the story-line.

I enjoyed it. I think you kinda have to be "in-character," or have a particular type of motivation and mindset to enjoy playing a consular, in the first place... and after playing through as a sage, i can see how it may not exactly fit the "shadow" mindset. From what i understand, the advanced classes have no bearing on the story progression, other than the abilities and tactics used during action sequences.

Idk. Whatever. It was enjoyable for me, and i thought it only got better as i progressed further through it. I did begin to get impatient in my 40's and sort of rush it a bit, and i guess i'll admit, it does sort of "get old," the way everyone, everywhere, seems to expect you to do everything for them, as you save each planet you visit along the way. It actually seems to be a bit of a joke at some points, with some of the dialogue options referring to guilt-trips and self-sufficiency. Some characters even "claim" partial credit for your heroism, while they in fact did nothing at all, other than to ask you to do it for them. Such is the life of a Jedi, i guess... doing everything "normal" people can't do for themselves.

I would definitely say it's a story that will most likely be most enjoyed from a particular perspective and mindset.

edit: i will add, it seems more drama-oriented, rather than action-packed. That said... lvl 14 is no time to decide anything about any of the class-stories. You've just scratched the surface at that point. I mean... you JUST got sprint. You don't even have your ship. You have no idea what's going on! (which was the single factor that ended up compelling me to respond at all) lol.

While one could argue that some of the stuff people couldn't do themselves, but there seems to be a lot (not just in the Consular story arc) where it's a matter of people won't do for themselves.