December's Life Day - An Event or only themed Cartel Packs?

Alec_Fortescue

As for people blaming bioware .

not bioware, bioware austin. AAryn Flynn, Casey Hudson, and David Gaider didnt mess this up, people can blame EA all they want but even in my work, if it doesnt work its my fault, I dont blame my bosses for giving me dead lines or directions. it is me who worked on it and it was my job to make it work.

ea threw money at them and gave them plenty of time, they miss managed it and wasted their reasources according to interviews, the only thing I blame EA for is caveing into the investors too soon, they should of spun the subnumbers more and gave the game at least a year without having to shelve everything for the free 2 play transition. but again the subscriber exodus was because bioware failed to deliver not because ea didnt support them

Edited by Vis-Tecum

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks!

While we're definitely excited about the new Life Day items in the Cartel Market, I wanted to make sure that you all knew that we do not have an in-game event planned for this. However, this doesn't mean that we don't have any in-game events planned for the future! We'll have more information for you sometime after the holidays.

Thank you!

Am I reading this right, this is the only MMO ever to not have a xmas event? And then no info on future events? Ya sounds like making events is trumped by making cash from lifeday packs

Am I reading this right, this is the only MMO ever to not have a xmas event? And then no info on future events? Ya sounds like making events is trumped by making cash from lifeday packs

SW:TOR has become a game of potential eventualities.

"We're going to add more class stories."

"We're going to revisit Legacy."

"We're going to talk about the Collector's Edition vendor."

"We're going to expand space beyond the current rail shooter."

"We're going to implement additional romances."

"We're going to add more playable species."

I could go on, but the point is, we have more promises than content at this point, and a lot of these promises have existed since beta was in full swing. Heck, even HK-51 was datamined in beta - his release was merely delayed rather than him actually being developed post-release.

sw:tor has become a game of potential eventualities.

"we're going to add more class stories."

"we're going to revisit legacy."

"we're going to talk about the collector's edition vendor."

"we're going to expand space beyond the current rail shooter."

"we're going to implement additional romances."

"we're going to add more playable species."

i could go on, but the point is, we have more promises than content at this point, and a lot of these promises have existed since beta was in full swing. Heck, even hk-51 was datamined in beta - his release was merely delayed rather than him actually being developed post-release.

this!

So I must spent about 24$ to celebrete game? Alos buy some fireworks so maybe 30$.

Great idea! Not!

Ohh let's make contest, just make them pay 100$ to try to win.

It's like kick in face ...

Someone shuold be fired!

Judging by your sig, I assume you're from Poland where 25$ is 1/12 of an average monthly salary. That's sure loads and those items shold honestly have decreased prices. Not everyone lives in the States, Bioware.

Sadly, what you are describing requires common sense and a bit of self-restraint.

Most people blew their free CC the first day the Cartel Shop came out and I was actually reading a post an hour ago, complaining that Bioware failed because he spent all his CC already.

Go figure.

In other words, your message is correct but it falls on deaf ears.

The thing is though this is being designed to tempt people into NOT doing that.

It's designed to get people to buy extra Cartel Coins to get the stuff.

It is price gouging by "limited time" as opposed to the usual way of "limited resources". :mad:

The community is what is killing this game. Everything that BW does is met with anger, hatred, grief and a lot more negativity.

The fact of the matter is that because so many people didn't want to give the game a chance to mature and started cancelling their subs, BW was forced to go F2P and introduce the cartel market to bring their revenue back up. Now everyone is crying about that as well as cancelling whatever subs are left.

MMO's only get better with time, for the most part. But they need the chance to grow. At the moment, EA is in panic mode because of the drop of subs, and just wants to make their investment back before they start worrying too much about the actual elements of the gameplay.

Let them break even, then watch creativity come back to the game.

The community is what is killing this game. Everything that BW does is met with anger, hatred, grief and a lot more negativity.

The fact of the matter is that because so many people didn't want to give the game a chance to mature and started cancelling their subs, BW was forced to go F2P and introduce the cartel market to bring their revenue back up. Now everyone is crying about that as well as cancelling whatever subs are left.

MMO's only get better with time, for the most part. But they need the chance to grow. At the moment, EA is in panic mode because of the drop of subs, and just wants to make their investment back before they start worrying too much about the actual elements of the gameplay.

Wahahaha... Nice try. Not going to happen with EA ;)

That's just kicking the can down the road, hoping.

In truth they've most surely made their money back by now, even if you go by the conservative estimates. If we assume that in 12 months on average 500k people were subscribed (disregarding the fact subscriptions started at 1.7mil and then declined) and assume tor sold 2mil boxes all at the basic 60bucks edition, that still adds up to more than the most damning credible estimates we've heard of 200mil spent on development.

They've just got to get their heads out of their tooshes, that's the thing.

Edited by aeterno

They've never NOT broke even, even at its lowest subscriber numbers (~500,000) they were still making money.

You are confusing not making money with not making enough money, but "enough money" is a purely subjective thing.

There's nothing to say any level of profits will be ploughed back into SWTOR (in fact reading the EA boards finacial statements, I'd say that's the last thing they intend to do).

You forget that it cost $200 million to put the game in your hands. A year later, I'm sure their costs are still astronomical.

But you are right that EA probably is making decent coin, but to be honest, I don't blame them for going for the quick buck to be ready to cut their loss's if that time comes.

You forget that it cost $200 million to put the game in your hands. A year later, I'm sure their costs are still astronomical.

But you are right that EA probably is making decent coin, but to be honest, I don't blame them for going for the quick buck to be ready to cut their loss's if that time comes.

Well it was a bit less than that, and they did ok on box and digital sales.

But yes they probably didn't recoup their total investement straight away (although it's got to be close if not done by now).

The problem is this is very much what EA did with WAR, they cut devs at release, and then as subs fell they cut them further, there was no investment to give the game a chance to be sorted out and the game struggle to get its issues sorted in time (by the time its issues were sorted 90% of subs were gone).

The rate of current development for SWTOR is slow, much slower than say Rift, and it doesn't seem like they are interesting in investing to quicken it (in fact they have laid off again). :(

That's terribad if the game really cost 200 million and this is all we got. I think that number must be inflated or Bioware's failure knows no bounds.

Yeah, right. My most meaningless thread I even forgot about and it gets a dev response... Like, seriously, why won't they answer the hood toggle issue or the advertised character class gear that is not in the game?

Hood toggle was said to be too much of a pain b/c of recoding armors, etc.

Yeah, right. My most meaningless thread I even forgot about and it gets a dev response... Like, seriously, why won't they answer the hood toggle issue or the advertised character class gear that is not in the game?

Hey, maybe they don't have an answer to give you. Would you rather they lie to you? Or perhaps you need another iteration of "we're working on it"? Regardless, seems a bit silly to complain they never answer you in a thread where they, in fact, answered you.

Come on mate, you know why. ;)

One they answered already, and the other has never been acknowledged.

Hey, maybe they don't have an answer to give you. Would you rather they lie to you? Or perhaps you need another iteration of "we're working on it"? Regardless, seems a bit silly to complain they never answer you in a thread where they, in fact, answered you.

Eh, they could at least be courteous enough to feign a positive, jovial relationship with their players by stating that it's on the Wall of Crazy. :rolleyes: That was cute pre-release, but it's a year later and nothing that ever graced that "wall" has materialized in-game.

I'd rather them work on SWTOR content, new planets, items, etc., than spend time on an event that doesn't advance the story.

I'm surrounded by Christmas everywhere else. I'm full of Christmas cheer. If a lack of in game holidays is enough to get you to cancel your account, well, you were probably weren't having that much fun anyway. And if you are having fun, then who cares?

I won't argue the fact that the community for this game is pretty awful, but BW, or EA, or whoever really drops the ball when it comes to opportunities to make it better. I'm not even really bothered by they Life Day thing, but the 1 year is another story, I'm still going to hold onto a little bit of hope that they will do something aside from the fireworks for the 1 year anniversary, but from the dev response it doesn't seem like they're going to. Having some kind of event for the anniversary should be a no-brainer.

It makes me wonder if the married devs only gave their spouses a card for their first anniversaries and then wondered why they were mad at them afterwards...

SW:TOR has become a game of potential eventualities.

"We're going to add more class stories."

"We're going to revisit Legacy."

"We're going to talk about the Collector's Edition vendor."

"We're going to expand space beyond the current rail shooter."

"We're going to implement additional romances."

"We're going to add more playable species."

I could go on, but the point is, we have more promises than content at this point, and a lot of these promises have existed since beta was in full swing. Heck, even HK-51 was datamined in beta - his release was merely delayed rather than him actually being developed post-release.

^Yes, this. A million times this. Do you guys even have a team capable of creating new content anymore or is this all just part of a plan to make as much money as you can off the cash shop until you pull the plug on us all.