Consular Story

Gekido

I actually wanted to make a post similar to this topic since I recently finished the Consular's storyline.

I personally was extremely disappointed by the ending of the story. Maybe my expectations were misplaced or maybe too high, but it just...to put it into one word, it was "meh". Like yourself, I heard how bad the story was, but I was adamant on rolling a Jedi Shadow. I love what they represented, lore wise. Not to mention this little paragraph from the class page hyped me up:

Jedi Consulars always seek to grow their knowledge of the galaxy, in understanding of themselves, and in comprehension of the Force that binds it all together. The commitment to this pursuit gives Consulars an unrivaled capacity for clarity in situations otherwise shrouded in darkness. However, this same dedication can also prove to be extremely perilous—inviting Consulars to explore paths that are better left untraveled. Some of the Jedi Order’s greatest minds have been seduced to the dark side through purely academic inquiries. The Consular knows the pain of this temptation as a battle-hardened warrior knows the throbbing of an old wound.

Before they can dispel the darkness in the galaxy, Jedi Consulars know they must first come to terms with the darkness within. There’s no avoiding the temptation to take shortcuts or even to use their knowledge for personal power; Consulars must constantly check their own motives. When tempted to step onto the path leading to darkness, Consulars must remember the tormented fate of the Jedi who have passed that way before. This is the only way they can unite the Jedi Order and the Republic and rally the troops to rescue the galaxy from the menacing darkness.

So, with that, I rolled a Consular. Now this is what I had issues with...

The Prelude and Chapter 1 was great, I didn't have any real problems with it. It was balanced in the whole Consular seeking hidden knowledge and solving mysteries of the Force and using diplomacy to solve problems, if you chose to. Not to mention the way it ended for me as a light sided Consular, I was psyched for what's going to happen after Chapter 1.

Then came Chapter 2 and 3...so disappointed...

BAM! They throw away everything that I found represented the class. You're now raising an army to hunt down Children of the Emperor, specifically the First Son. Why is a Consular/Sage/Shadow raising an army? That sounds more like what a Knight/Guardian/Sentinel would do, that's my opinion though.

You learn nothing new involving the Force. I was expecting maybe you get a glimpse into the Emperor's mind or something, but nope, you learn nothing more about that. Diplomacy? Nope, there's no option to save any of the Children (except the First Son, depending on other previous choices you've made). Even if you do save him, you just get a mail saying "Thanks for saving me, I won't see you ever again. You will understand. Bye!"

Then the ending...WHERE'S ALL THE MASTERS I SAVED?! Where's my own mentor, whom I fought so hard for to save? Was I even given a chance to be tempted into the dark side?

*Sigh*I was seriously expecting a continuation of Chapter 1, involving Morrhage and the maybe something involving the foreboding message that Parkanus tells you before leaving. I guess this will happen later...?

This pretty much ends my rant about Chapter 2 and 3. It just seems so disconnected from the class and anticlimactic from Chapter 1. Your decisions seem to make almost no real impact at all in this story after that.

Edited by Ashenic

Then the ending...WHERE'S ALL THE MASTERS I SAVED?! Where's my own mentor, whom I fought so hard for to save? Was I even given a chance to be tempted into the dark side?

It's worse if you go dark side at the end of ch 1...

Many spoilers!

If you kill Vivicar, all of the masters you saved earlier supposedly die... but in the very next quest Yuon shows up in the council chambers. You get a letter confirming her death right after talking to her, and then when you finish Hoth and go back to Tython, you can tell the noetikons that she is alive and well. :confused:

It's worse if you go dark side at the end of ch 1...

Many spoilers!

If you kill Vivicar, all of the masters you saved earlier supposedly die... but in the very next quest Yuon shows up in the council chambers. You get a letter confirming her death right after talking to her, and then when you finish Hoth and go back to Tython, you can tell the noetikons that she is alive and well. :confused:

Now, I like the story (sue me), but that's just lazy...

• 2 weeks later...
The consular story just doesn't feel as epic, especially as it progresses. The JK is taking on the emperor while consulars are reduced to chasing down his minions. Our companions are also not as interesting.

I've played all four of the Jedi/Sith storylines, and the consular is the worst story. The Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight stories are both excellent. The Inquisitor story isn't much better than the consular.

Meh I hate the Consular story .. but I quite love the Inquisitor one along with the Jedi knight. The warrior it so far seems your just Baras (Fill in the blank)

I actually wanted to make a post similar to this topic since I recently finished the Consular's storyline.

I personally was extremely disappointed by the ending of the story. Maybe my expectations were misplaced or maybe too high, but it just...to put it into one word, it was "meh". Like yourself, I heard how bad the story was, but I was adamant on rolling a Jedi Shadow. I love what they represented, lore wise. Not to mention this little paragraph from the class page hyped me up:

Jedi Consulars always seek to grow their knowledge of the galaxy, in understanding of themselves, and in comprehension of the Force that binds it all together. The commitment to this pursuit gives Consulars an unrivaled capacity for clarity in situations otherwise shrouded in darkness. However, this same dedication can also prove to be extremely perilous—inviting Consulars to explore paths that are better left untraveled. Some of the Jedi Order’s greatest minds have been seduced to the dark side through purely academic inquiries. The Consular knows the pain of this temptation as a battle-hardened warrior knows the throbbing of an old wound.

Before they can dispel the darkness in the galaxy, Jedi Consulars know they must first come to terms with the darkness within. There’s no avoiding the temptation to take shortcuts or even to use their knowledge for personal power; Consulars must constantly check their own motives. When tempted to step onto the path leading to darkness, Consulars must remember the tormented fate of the Jedi who have passed that way before. This is the only way they can unite the Jedi Order and the Republic and rally the troops to rescue the galaxy from the menacing darkness.

So, with that, I rolled a Consular. Now this is what I had issues with...

The Prelude and Chapter 1 was great, I didn't have any real problems with it. It was balanced in the whole Consular seeking hidden knowledge and solving mysteries of the Force and using diplomacy to solve problems, if you chose to. Not to mention the way it ended for me as a light sided Consular, I was psyched for what's going to happen after Chapter 1.

Then came Chapter 2 and 3...so disappointed...

BAM! They throw away everything that I found represented the class. You're now raising an army to hunt down Children of the Emperor, specifically the First Son. Why is a Consular/Sage/Shadow raising an army? That sounds more like what a Knight/Guardian/Sentinel would do, that's my opinion though.

You learn nothing new involving the Force. I was expecting maybe you get a glimpse into the Emperor's mind or something, but nope, you learn nothing more about that. Diplomacy? Nope, there's no option to save any of the Children (except the First Son, depending on other previous choices you've made). Even if you do save him, you just get a mail saying "Thanks for saving me, I won't see you ever again. You will understand. Bye!"

*Sigh*I was seriously expecting a continuation of Chapter 1, involving Morrhage and the maybe something involving the foreboding message that Parkanus tells you before leaving. I guess this will happen later...?

This pretty much ends my rant about Chapter 2 and 3. It just seems so disconnected from the class and anticlimactic from Chapter 1. Your decisions seem to make almost no real impact at all in this story after that.

Check again , your job is not only study the Force but also play diplomatic and be a tactician. If played other classes only act 2 and 3 is linked because it include in the Rep or Imp, Act 1 is isolated from every stories.

Meh I hate the Consular story .. but I quite love the Inquisitor one along with the Jedi knight. The warrior it so far seems your just Baras (Fill in the blank)

That is depend, playing Jk i feel like an assassin for the Order, hey go there and kill this Sith Lord, go here and stop this Darth. It's has no impact at all for the republic.

That is depend, playing Jk i feel like an assassin for the Order, hey go there and kill this Sith Lord, go here and stop this Darth. It's has no impact at all for the republic.

I prefer the Consular to the JK just because the Jedi Knight feels..overdone. I get that the JK is the 'classic hero' story, but it gets a bit silly, and right out of the gate no less.

The Consular fights her way through Flesh Raiders to retrieve ancient holocrons containing the wisdom of past Jedi Masters and it's "Good job Padawan, on to the next assignment." This is fine.

The Knight kills off a handful of Flesh Raiders and it's "Oh my God! Such prowess! You are clearly destined to be the greatest Champion the Order has ever known!" :p

I have noticed a lot of people condemning the Consular story and I can't understand why, am I missing something? I personally enjoyed Chapter 1, it's more of a behind the scenes story than, say the jedi knight story

Gekido - I am at level 46 as a Consular Sage and only at 25 on my Smuggler and Knight but I can tell you my dislike with the story. It's isn't that you are fighting behind the scenes or anything like that (not for me). It's just that you seem to be playing the role of psychologists to Jedi Masters (becoming weaker) but there seems to be no benefit from the Chapter 1 part. You kill Lord Vivicar get your Barsen'thor title and that's it. That story is done (you don't get your power back from the weakness just a title) it's like that never happened and move on to a new story which is unrelated. You don't get the Jedi Masters joining you on your future story and it seems like while they are impressed with your abilities you're just not that important.

In addition, in my opinion the Consular dialog options are too naive.

I do have to say that Chapter 2 gets a little more interesting and that helps because you are doing some Diplomatic stuff.

The smuggler storyline maybe a little more shallow but it also has more intresting dialog and follows more the Han Solo type attitude. The smuggler wants to get the ship back and once the ship is back well do what smugglers do (smuggle stuff and make $$$) the things that happen in the storyline don't really matter (to the smuggler). As a smuggler I'm always about the credits (even though I help the NPC) and don't get in my way.

To me the Consular seem to be a bit hipocritical always working to get recognition but not really acknowleging the fact that he/she is looking for recognition. Some of the characters are annoying like Tharan ("Did I tell you I'm a pacifist" - yes dude shut up and heal me). Qyzen I like but his point deal gets old.

Zenith and Iresso I could care less about and Nadia actually has some character built into her storyline. If you play a female Consular Iresso actually tries to flirt with you which is lame.

Nadia is force sensitive (the only one in the group other than yourself), lost her dad, has a lot of stuff on her plate and admires her master but she's a bit of a loose cannon (not really learning the Jedi ways or at least I see it that way). From the Consular perspective Nadia is probably the most interesting companion.

I'm still on Voss (which so far is the most intersting part of this storyline) but the fact that the Consular had an infiltrator on her ship and it was ignored by the Consular or dismissed as nothing (Nadia knew there was something wrong there) and overall naivete of the Consular is a little annoying.

However, you should enjoy the storyline or the game for what you like and regardless of what I say or what anyone else says you should make the game yours and enjoy it for what it is (a game).

I can understand why people might not like the consular story. It's slower and real "behind the scenes", whereas many people really like to play the hero or at least make a larger impact on the story.

I'm playing my consular light side, but it's my understanding dark side consulars have a problem with their dark side choices simply not impacting their story in any reasonable way. In other words, they are arbitrarily behaving like douchebags and nobody seems to notice or care. It shows a lack of polish and attention to detail.

LS/DS choices really don't seem to impact any story in any meaningful way

I've played the bounty hunter and sith warrior to completion and loved both stories. I've just started Alderaan with my Consular and I love this story so far.

I had hoped I'd get to play the diplomat a little more, but it really doesn't seem like that's the case so far. I'd also have liked to see the shielding take a more obvious toll on the character as time goes on.

I definitely agree with you. I'm playing my first character as a Consular, and the choices don't seem to have any meaningful impact on the story. I'd like such choices to have a prevalent impact, to the point that each story draws to a different conclusion depending on the overall disposition of the character. But, perhaps sixteen possible outcomes would be too much? I don't think so, though.

I'm apparently drawing near the close of "Chapter 1" of my current story line, with another several planets to go, and I've been playing for three months. So, let's say another month to conclude this one, and heck, I could stay busy just doing stories for five years! Hah; I probably won't be interested that long, but I thoroughly enjoy the game (one must in order to devote an hour a day to playing it) so far.

• 1 year later...

seeing as I finished the story-line of the consular once before, and Rise of the Hutt Cartel, I feel I am almost duty-bound to answer in this thread. However; I will also note that I believe that I have little to add, and others might have said what I will say, and have probably said it better than I did.

From my perspective, I take the text that EA put as the "banner" of the consular with a grain of salt. I've always seen them as the foundation from which the rash JK's can launch their attacks on the empire. They make sure the home-front stays secure and strong while the knights are in enemy territory.

The consulars are also the calmer more rational ones, as opposed to the knights who tend to be (as I said) rash and quick to action; and I believe the story-line really represents that role in the very well. The first arc on Tython is an excelent example of a consulars journey to wisdom; seeking the knowledge. And the later arcs put some of the lessons in practice.

When you look at it as this it suddenly becomes less about the actions you take, but more about the growth as a character.

A result of such ingenious writing is that it tends to be rather rigid, and that needs to be kept in order.

The lack of actual consequences to killing the masters instead of resqueing them is a result of this innitially awesome story.

The companions also show this clever writing in them, each of them becoming more and more dependant on you; from the almost completely independant but devoted Qyzen to the completely dependant and loyal Nadia.

Rather than a story of heroics, I consider the story of the consular to be more of a personal story of growth.

The problems within the consulars arcs and companions all stem from this; if you'd ask me.

I also think that this is also what separates the consular's story-arc from that of the other classes. In particular from the one of the knight; which is an outwardly directed story.

I've recently finished the second arc of the Knight, and am halfway with the first arc of the smuggler. I am also in the beginning of the third arc of the Warrior; and all seem to have this problem of the stories being both outwardly directed, and motivated by forces outside of the controll of the main character.

May as well join in.

I have a mixed feeling about the Consular story. Playing through the story, I fully acknowledge that the Consular probably does more for the Republic than any of the other 3: raising an army, preventing several worlds from abandoning the Republic, and exposing an entire network of sleeper agents (Emperor's Children) that could have torn the Republic from within.

But it's just boring.

I don't know why, I don't know how, but I could barely bring myself to finish the story, even though I did it during the x12 XP, with a Shadow for stealth. It's true that most classes do the exact same thing in every chapter 1 planet, but with the Consular it just feels extra repetetive.

It also never really feels like the Consular is anybody's friend, even after knowing a person for a long time. Not people on the Jedi Council, not other NPCs. Even to his/her companions, the Consular just seems like this wise but detached sage. And the worst part is knowing that it's right--that this is how a Jedi is really supposed to be.

Edited by ThirdDementor

It also never really feels like the Consular is anybody's friend, even after knowing a person for a long time. Not people on the Jedi Council, not other NPCs. Even to his/her companions, the Consular just seems like this wise but detached sage. And the worst part is knowing that it's right--that this is how a Jedi is really supposed to be.

Unmarked spoilers below.

That's one of the things I liked. This is, in my opinion, embodied at the end of the romance with Lt. Iresso (never played male Consular, Nolan North just sounds like he's phoning his lines in for some reason), where there's actual concern about your degree of attachment to him. I don't remember that from either Knight romance.

Apart from that, I very much enjoyed the slow-paced feeling of the story. Acts 2 and 3 are great, if a bit disconnected from 1. It was fascinating to get to know more about the Esh-ka and the Voss. Freeing Balmorra and installing a Republic-friendly regime on the planet was great, too, and Zenith is one of my favourite companions.

It's obvious that the consular story is highly polarising. Chances are, if you liked the inquisitor story, you'll also like this one and vice versa. That's certainly how I felt.

I disliked the Consular story but not because of it being 'behind the scenes' or less action oriented. Chapter 1 is basically just an incredibly long murder mystery with the answer being incredibly obvious. The Jedi look like dopes for not figuring out (or at least suspecting) who was behind the plague right from the start.

Also, the main decisions for Chapter 1 is the same for every planet: Would you kill someone who did horrible things while mind controlled? It's a good dilemma... but not four times in a row.

That said, Chapter 2 and 3 are better with building alliances and being a diplomat, and I actually quite liked the prologue. I wish the story of the Jedi's creation had been the focus of Chapter 1 instead of the simple murder mystery.

I played my consular with a friend who was playing a soldier. I used to laugh at his cut scenes where he would dive and then pull out a pistol while mine had me doing things like rip holes into super blast doors and such.

He get sent to a back room and given a medal and pat on the back at the end of his story

I had a grand procession like out of the movie where I get presented to the people and choose who leads the Republic next.

I felt more like a what I Jedi is supposed to be. I have not done the Knight yet, but I have done the Inquisitor and liked that one too. Knight is my next one to do and then Agent which up to level 18 is pretty good so far.

I don't get the people who are saying it's the exact same in chapter 1 for all classes. Have you actually played the other classes? Things actually get changed up. Nothing for the consular changes at all really, there's only a brief point of amusement on Nar Shaddaa due to Tharan Cedrax being introduced, and the ending is actually pretty good too. Ending of CH1 is where the Consular story starts getting good, and it stays good from there on out, imo. But chapter one is pointedly boring and redundant, much more so than every other class in the ga,e/

It's literally the same damn reveal on every planet.

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH A JEDI MASTER

>What's wrong?

HE'S BEEN ACTING FUNNY

>Why has s/he been acting funny?

CONTROLLED BY CHILDREN OF THE EMPEROR

Every time. No difference - not a single time. The knight? The weapons are all different and the leadup stories and the reveals play out differently. Smuggler? There's an actual linear progressing story. Granted I've only done two planets, but you run into different faces and personality. Trooper? Tracking down defectors, but there are actually in-between-planets missions, you are tracking down different people and it's more complicated than literally move to planet > fight evil > surprise it's Ganon. new planet > fight evil > surprise, it's Ganon. New planet > fight evil > surprise it's Ganon again. So on and so forth. It's different if Ganon was behind it all but it's a reveal at like the end of the story or chapter, but when you literally are aware it's the same person (not the specific ID, but that it's the same person) every time and it's just like Ganon/Dr. Wily/Sigma over and over and over again it just comes across as totally stupid.

So I'm gonna have to disagree with the assessment that every class is the same in chapter 1. No other class is as pointedly repetitive. I have played all eight classes in chapter 1. But yes, at the end of CH1 and for the rest of the story it's pretty great.