Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

Correct, the outfits themselves don't transfer and you'll have to redo them, but you won't lose any slots. I had to buy one dye because I made the rookie mistake of not dying the chest piece and putting it in the bank so on one character I was out 500k, but then I ran a few H2s and broke even.

Must be nice - I'd hate to have to redo my outfits across all my characters; and hate it even more if I had to redo the one that I used the black/black module I got out of a cantina crate for. And that's assuming I still have all the parts, It's very likely I've had to clear out bits I've used drops for, some of which simply may no longer be available with the changes in what gear drops where.

And I'm not even a big outfit designer!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, the outfits themselves don't transfer and you'll have to redo them, but you won't lose any slots. I had to buy one dye because I made the rookie mistake of not dying the chest piece and putting it in the bank so on one character I was out 500k, but then I ran a few H2s and broke even.

Yup. A minor inconvenience at best. If you didn't keep or unlock the outfit, it's not that important.

Hey folks,

We recently removed a thread related to the topic of server merges. This thread was removed because of numerous rule violations contained within it. Since we know this conversation is important to you, I am remaking this as the centralized thread for that discussion. Although we don't have anything to discuss right now on this topic, we want to continue to get your feedback and thoughts on it. Please keep it coming!

A few rule reminders:

• Discussion of moderation is not permitted.
  • Please remain respectful of other forum users. Disagreement and discussion is fine, personal attacks are not.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Remember when SWTOR had 40 servers? I wonder what happened.

Yup. A minor inconvenience at best. If you didn't keep or unlock the outfit, it's not that important.

But lets say we merge TSL to JC. I have 10 toons on TSL and if I lose all outfits on all toons that will be a serious problem. Forget the credit cost, the amount of time I will need to spend to find every single piece on every toon and put it back in the designers will take hours.

I do think that TSL and JC need to be merged for example, but something like this will need to be addressed first.

Edited by Ottoattack

RP instances are NOT a solution for reasons that have been mentioned by several people.

The only way RP instances may possibly work is if a player has to pay the same amount as for a character transfer every time a player wants to switch to and from an RP instance.

Edited by Tisaren

But lets say we merge TSL to JC. I have 10 toons on TSL and if I lose all outfits on all toons that will be a serious problem. Forget the credit cost, the amount of time I will need to spend to find every single piece on every toon and put it back in the designers will take hours.

I do think that TSL and JC need to be merged for example, but something like this will need to be addressed first.

Your poor organizational skills are not a reason to not merge servers...and they are most certainly not a "serious problem". I'd love it if the outfits transferred so nobody lost a thing, but even if they didn't, it's a minor inconvenience, nothing more.

Your poor organizational skills are not a reason to not merge servers...and they are most certainly not a "serious problem". I'd love it if the outfits transferred so nobody lost a thing, but even if they didn't, it's a minor inconvenience, nothing more.

Disclaimer: This doesn't mean to imply that this is your issue, just an example.

Doesn't this argument work both ways? Your inability to maintain 3/7/15 friends to run content is a minor inconvenience, and your inability to be sociable in an MMO is no reason to insist that servers be merged to give you an opportunity to alienate even more people.

Reading through the posts that happened while I was busy having a life yesterday demonstrated to me quite clearly why some people on a populated server might have a hard time finding a group, and while merges might fix it for a day or so, once they've burned through the "new blood", they'll be right back here talking about how it wasn't enough.

40?

At one point it have close on a 100 server JUST for the US.

There were around another 100 in Europe.

All The Best

A lot of that was performance issues. When the game first launched any server that got to "standard" population would start to choke and die. As the server tech improved, they were able to bring other servers online that could handle more players. It is a standard practice in the MMO industry to start with more servers than you think you will need just in case you have underestimated the interest in your game. There was a lot of reason at the time to believe a Star Wars MMO-RPG would be immensely popular.

A lot of that was performance issues. When the game first launched any server that got to "standard" population would start to choke and die. As the server tech improved, they were able to bring other servers online that could handle more players. It is a standard practice in the MMO industry to start with more servers than you think you will need just in case you have underestimated the interest in your game. There was a lot of reason at the time to believe a Star Wars MMO-RPG would be immensely popular.

Heh, Aion started with about 100 servers too. I guess we should start packing it in immediately after they get technical issues worked out and start closing the excess, after all, to take this to it's logical conclusion, bringing up servers at launch to support a need for merges now sort of implies that the game's been dying the whole time, doesn't it?

Minor inconvenience for you. Try thinking in terms of the playerbase as a whole.

You can be sure that if we have a server merge that doesn't preserve outfit stamps there will be many people who will lose outfits that can't be replicated. Some armor isn't in game any more. Some armor is only available through non-repeatable quests. With 10s of thousands (if not 100s of thousands) of people, some will have sold/destroyed armor to clear up bank space because they didn't expect to need it again. And some people will have dyed the stamp rather than the original. Some people have a rare chest and wanted to use it in multiple outfits, so they dyed the stamp. Some armor can only be dyed on the stamp.

Players shouldn't lose anything in a server merge. Not time, not credits, not armor, not dyes. People get angry even if their loses are minor. Just look at the ill will that was created when they changed the Victorious Pioneer armor and people lost mods and dyes. That was trivial compared to the number of people who will be adversely affected by a server merge if they don't solve the technical hurdles first.

Minor inconvenience for you. Try thinking in terms of the playerbase as a whole.

You can be sure that if we have a server merge that doesn't preserve outfit stamps there will be many people who will lose outfits that can't be replicated. Some armor isn't in game any more. Some armor is only available through non-repeatable quests. With 10s of thousands (if not 100s of thousands) of people, some will have sold/destroyed armor to clear up bank space because they didn't expect to need it again. And some people will have dyed the stamp rather than the original. Some people have a rare chest and wanted to use it in multiple outfits, so they dyed the stamp. Some armor can only be dyed on the stamp.

Players shouldn't lose anything in a server merge. Not time, not credits, not armor, not dyes. People get angry even if their loses are minor. Just look at the ill will that was created when they changed the Victorious Pioneer armor and people lost mods and dyes. That was trivial compared to the number of people who will be adversely affected by a server merge if they don't solve the technical hurdles first.

Having to reapply your outfit is minor for anyone, not just me. It's a petty thing to argue over. In the time it took you to type your reply, you could have re-outfitted at least 3 toons.

Having to reapply your outfit is minor for anyone, not just me. It's a petty thing to argue over. In the time it took you to type your reply, you could have re-outfitted at least 3 toons.

Not if you can't get the outfit any more. For me, it's a non-issue, my blanks are in the cargo hold, hell, I put one on a comp, so I can still get it back if I had to. However, I only have the freebie slot on most toons. So yeah, it's not a big deal for me, but one of the ladies in my guild had all the slots open, and lots of different outfits. It's going to be a big deal for her. Especially if something can't be replaced. This refusal to acknowledge that it's a big deal for some isn't going to push any other narrative than "I said it's what's good for the game, now accept it and move on".

What happens if hundreds of people, or thousands, decide it's just not worth their time any more, if everything they've worked on, that matters to them, can be taken away. Now, that's the nature of MMOs, it could close tomorrow, but to lose it because some people don't know how to be civil in a group? I seriously wonder how many advocates for merges that can't get groups on populated servers can't get 'em because they're on a lot of ignore lists. It's not going to help them for very long at all, is it? My "last straw" was round 15 or so of nerfs to PvE due to PvP. We can wave the denial flag, but Phase Walk was taken from tank classes due to an exploit in PvP, even though that didn't fix the exploit. That's the last time I cancelled my sub. If I lose all my SHs because of "so what if I'm rude, I should be able to get a group", I'm done.

Again, you are just thinking about yourself. There are people with hundreds of outfits. That does take time. It also take credits. There are people who will lose irreplaceable armor. There are people who will lose expensive dyes. Your cavalier attitude towards other people's time and money is frankly surprising since you always say you don't want people driven away from the game.

Again, you are just thinking about yourself. There are people with hundreds of outfits. That does take time. It also take credits. There are people who will lose irreplaceable armor. There are people who will lose expensive dyes. Your cavalier attitude towards other people's time and money is frankly surprising since you always say you don't want people driven away from the game.

I'm thinking about what is best for this game, not myself. It takes time and credits. Why wouldn't you have kept anything of value? If something is irreplaceable and you threw it away, that sucks for you...but it doesn't negate the fact that the servers need to be trimmed down extensively. Why would you lose a dye? Did you stamp it into the slot, not the armor? If so, yeah, you'll lose it...but you can buy it again if it's that vital to you to have.

I'm more concerned with driving away returning and new players who are on dead servers than those who think only about themselves and can't see that the dead servers are an issue that needs to be dealt with.

If it's THAT important to you, you should have held on to it.

Heh, if your friends that you group with were than important, you should have found a way to keep them playing? I'm going to have to hide after that one, but, in all seriousness, it cuts both ways. There are lots of posts from yesterday and last night that demonstrate quite clearly why some people can't get a group. A disclaimer of "but I never yell at people in groups" doesn't really cover "but I'm obnoxious in Gen Chat". Text is more closely monitored here than in game, and if they're being obnoxious here, how am I supposed to think they're saints in game?

Again, that comes back to "low population isn't the only factor to long queue times". I have ignored people in game for SJW rantings about what outfits comps/players are wearing. I've ignored people for spouting political garbage, and for racial slurs. This means that, if I were using GF, none of them would be "invited" to my group. So do you suppose I'm the only one that does that?

Heh, if your friends that you group with were than important, you should have found a way to keep them playing?
Huh? One I have control over (my inventory), the other I don't (free will of others). Come on Bob...you're just replying with nonsense now.

Then by your own logic you have no right to ask for servers to be merged so you can play on a highly populated server..we do have the right to play on a server that meets our needs just like you do. I don't want to play on a highly populated server for MANY reasons and to force me to move to one WILL make me leave the game and I won't be the only one.

Server population is NOT what made people leave...the population is what it is because people left because of class balance...Iokath...Command Ranks etc There is a fix may not be easy but fixing all the technical problems isn't easy either. Cross over ques is the answer but they refuse to do this. Players losing all the things they have worked so hard for over the years and losing those things because people want faster ques will cause even more people to leave so merging servers will not solve the problem but go ahead and push for it and see what happens. I read that those of us who didn't want to merge would not be forced guess that was a lie to.

I understand your point. I'm no longer advocating for anything. But no, Bioware should not retain light population servers from a fiduciary perspective.

For the record, the mass exodus was in the time between 3.X and 4.0.

This whole thread has become petty over the last couple days. It now boils down to "You're a poopyhead!" "No! You're a poopyhead!".

I agree, if it was not for the fact someone would just make a new thread anyway this would have been locked/deleted long ago there is nothing new to say it's the same old things just going round and round.

I agree, if it was not for the fact someone would just make a new thread anyway this would have been locked/deleted long ago there is nothing new to say it's the same old things just going round and round.

And it will go round and round until Bioware makes a definitive statement on this about what is going to be done. There is no choice. They need to hurry up. It's not like this is a "new" issue, you know?

And it will go round and round until Bioware makes a definitive statement on this about what is going to be done. There is no choice. They need to hurry up. It's not like this is a "new" issue, you know?

Except for bioware kinda have they say they don't want to force anyone to move so nothing in the near future is that not enough?